Baylor College of Medicine -- Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just a quick q for ppl who rec'd scholarships at BCM....are the scholarships generally for a certain amount/yr or are they just a one-time scholarship? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

just a quick q for ppl who rec'd scholarships at BCM....are the scholarships generally for a certain amount/yr or are they just a one-time scholarship? thanks!

The scholarships are X amount per year (so multiply * 4). The other thing is that I'm not sure if we have to make certain grades to maintain a scholarship (it was the case with one I received at a diff school), so that's another thing to put into consideration.

The scholarships are X amount per year (so multiply * 4). The other thing is that I'm not sure if we have to make certain grades to maintain a scholarship (it was the case with one I received at a diff school), so that's another thing to put into consideration.

I think you have to remain in the top 20%.

Members don't see this ad :)
is that was good academic standing means?

Hmm did they not specify what you had to maintain when they sent you the scholarship letter?

I didn't see anything. I would think it'd be pretty easy to see.

alls i saw was that i had to maintain 'good academic standing'. i would be seriously pissed if there were strings attached that werent made explicitly known. i looked all over the website and letter and saw nothing about 20 percent.

alls i saw was that i had to maintain 'good academic standing'. i would be seriously pissed if there were strings attached that werent made explicitly known. i looked all over the website and letter and saw nothing about 20 percent.

What I said about top 20% was based on hearsay, so if you want to be sure, please call the financial aid office to clarify!

anyone get any word from the finaid office about scholarship stipulations?

hey everyone,

are there any other forms we need to turn into BCM to reserve our spots besides the tuition deposit? (ive already turned in the acknowledgement of acceptance form earlier this year) thanks!

hey everyone,

are there any other forms we need to turn into BCM to reserve our spots besides the tuition deposit? (ive already turned in the acknowledgement of acceptance form earlier this year) thanks!

Nope, form + $300 is all you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone,

wow. cutting it close, huh?

i hope you know that you can pay online too. that's what i did. much faster and easier.

so can any current first years (or older) give me an idea of what the first year is like in terms of daily schedule? its been a long time since interview day. how often do we have anatomy lab and are classes only in the morning or all day? thanks.

so can any current first years (or older) give me an idea of what the first year is like in terms of daily schedule? its been a long time since interview day. how often do we have anatomy lab and are classes only in the morning or all day? thanks.

You'll have class every day from 8-12. One day a week, you'll have IPS, which is BCM's form of PBL, in the afternoon until 3 or 4. You'll also have PPS one day a week in the afternoon, which gives you some clinical exposure. Most people are assigned to shadow family practitioners, although some have been assigned to ob/gyn's, pediatricians, or internists. You'll practice taking histories and performing physicals. Most people are done at 5.

You'll have anatomy lab on Thursday mornings for 2 hours. The anatomy course runs from August-February.

Baylor's schedule is actually really nice. Four hours of lecture per day and two afternoons per week isn't bad compared to a lot of schools. Theoretically you'll have a lot of time to study, although this never quite panned out for me. :)

Thanks. Another question for current students - in reality, what should we buy (if anything) before orientation? do we need to buy textbooks, medical dictionary, stethoscope, etc?

Thanks. Another question for current students - in reality, what should we buy (if anything) before orientation? do we need to buy textbooks, medical dictionary, stethoscope, etc?

Nope, you'll get all that info at orientation. If you want to buy something, buy a good non-medical book and a bottle of wine and enjoy your freedom.

Have y'all already completed your staffords on the TG Loans website? Who'd you go with as the lender?

Have y'all already completed your staffords on the TG Loans website? Who'd you go with as the lender?

I'm checking that stuff out right after I graduate in 2 days.

Nope, you'll get all that info at orientation. If you want to buy something, buy a good non-medical book and a bottle of wine and enjoy your freedom.

ditto this advice. wait to buy books b/c you may get some used ones from older students. also, the book store had a deal for us this past year where they grouped our anatomy, physiology, and histology books together for a discount. with that came the electronic versions of each book that we could load on our computer for free. as for stethoscopes, wait for that as well b/c one of the organizations (i think it's AMSA) will do a bulk ordering of them and i think you can get it for a discount.

enjoy your summer!!!!!! seriously!!! this time next year you will be CRAVING vacation time!

Hey guys! I was wandering if there was some sort of summer program, like a prematriculation? I was just accepted on Friday!! What's everyone doing over the summer??

Hey guys! I was wandering if there was some sort of summer program, like a prematriculation? I was just accepted on Friday!! What's everyone doing over the summer??

<- Professional bum. I'll probably do meager work to make money and buy stuff for my apartment.

Hey there everyone! I just got a call from one of the BCM admission deans this afternoon -- I'm in!!!! :love:

I'm reeling with everything I have to do now to catch up with everyone else (financial aid, etc.), but I'm about 99% sure I'll be seeing you guys in class in a few short months. I'm so excited!! :D

Hey there everyone! I just got a call from one of the BCM admission deans this afternoon -- I'm in!!!! :love:

I'm reeling with everything I have to do now to catch up with everyone else (financial aid, etc.), but I'm about 99% sure I'll be seeing you guys in class in a few short months. I'm so excited!! :D

Congratulations!!! What's the other 1%? We'd like to get rid of that ASAP! :)

We have a Facebook group called "Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2012" if you're into that kind of thing. Since most people aren't on SDN, asking questions there might get you a better response.

Congratulations again! :thumbup:

I'm in too! Just found out! Now I have to figure out how to pay for school :) I'm super excited, though! Remember me, RealMD? We had the same interview date at UTSW...

I'm in too! Just found out! Now I have to figure out how to pay for school :) I'm super excited, though! Remember me, RealMD? We had the same interview date at UTSW...

Er... while I am easily recognizable.... you guys aren't, if you know what I mean... :p

Is health insurance not included in the estimated cost or is it covered under 'fees'?

Is health insurance not included in the estimated cost or is it covered under 'fees'?

In the Baylor booklet, health insurance is listed separately. Here's the breakdown of all costs:

Tuition (In-state) - $6,550
Tuition (OOS) - $19,650
Fees - $6,232
Student Health Insurance - $2,277
Books and Supplies - $6,298 (includes the $3000 they "give" you to buy a new computer)
Living expenses (11 months) - $19,718

Look here for more info: http://www.bcm.edu/financialaid/?pmid=7448

thanks. its annoying how on the financial aid package insurance isnt mentioned, and also that the value for books/supplies differs.

I'm an oos excited about Baylor! I'm looking to purchase a condo this summer and was checking out Briar Green, Richmond Manor, Fontainebleau, Cambridge Glen, Cambridge Court, and One Montreal Place on har.com. Any specific advice about other places I should check out or places I should avoid?

I went apartment shopping today: I saw Holly Hall, Parque View, Scotland Yard... I was really excited about the cute room with the vaulted ceiling @ scotland yard. Most complexes give a 30 day notice, so they always tell me to come back in June/July, but this one is 60 days. Other than that I looked around rice area and found a 1x1 to be leased for 600/month. really nice location! but again can't hold it till August. So far Scotland Yard is the best, they even have racquetball courts !

I went apartment shopping today: I saw Holly Hall, Parque View, Scotland Yard... I was really excited about the cute room with the vaulted ceiling @ scotland yard. Most complexes give a 30 day notice, so they always tell me to come back in June/July, but this one is 60 days. Other than that I looked around rice area and found a 1x1 to be leased for 600/month. really nice location! but again can't hold it till August. So far Scotland Yard is the best, they even have racquetball courts !

I've been living at Scotland Yard for 2 years now, and as of now I'll probably stay there for the next 4 yrs in medical school. I have a 1B/1B with a vaulted ceiling - the 3A floorplan, and I pay less than $600. I'd recommend talking with the manager Walter - he's the nicest! I really like my place - the 87 bus stop is right outside the complex, and if you miss the bus, you can walk 5-7min to the lightrail. So yeah, I give Scotland Yard a thumbs-up: Great value for the money.

I've heard lots of negative comments about Holly Hall - in particular how the complex is way too big for the management to handle. Another good apartment complex in that area is Harvest Hill. Other than that, you may want to try craiglist.com. There are a lot of condos for rent in the area.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!

do most of you current students use desktops or laptops? Does it matter? By that I mean is there a need for laptops in class, small group stuff, etc.? do you find it more convenient to have a notebook? Thanks.

do most of you current students use desktops or laptops? Does it matter? By that I mean is there a need for laptops in class, small group stuff, etc.? do you find it more convenient to have a notebook? Thanks.

I think I remember seeing about 60-70% of people having a laptop on my interview day, with about 1/2 of those people having a Mac. Though I would think that using a laptop would be easier for some subjects over others.

Is there any reason NOT to have a laptop nowadays? I don't know what I'd do without mine.

I think I remember seeing about 60-70% of people having a laptop on my interview day, with about 1/2 of those people having a Mac. Though I would think that using a laptop would be easier for some subjects over others.

Is there any reason NOT to have a laptop nowadays? I don't know what I'd do without mine.

seriously, desktops are so unwieldy and i hate working at a computer desk.

laptops don't let you hook up to a sweet 24" monitor to look at path slides on :p

laptops don't let you hook up to a sweet 24" monitor to look at path slides on :p

My MacBook Pro can drive a 30" display, thank you very much! :hardy:

Hey guys, I just got accepted last week, and I am thrilled about it. I am looking at the paperwork I need to do, and I was wondering if anyone could see I am missing anything important here:

1. I just finished orientation registration, turned in ackowledgement form, tuition deposit, transcript sending, and all the needed immunization record stuff. Am I missing anything here?

2. I am right now trying to get done with financial aid paperwork. I just had my FAFSA sent to BCM, and I am somewhat confused with so many different kind of paperwork for different grants/scholarships. Am I supposed to receive any package or mail information that could step me through this? Only mail I received was acceptance/acknolwedgement letter. Also, is the "institutional loan" subsidized (no interest)? Lastly, is there any requirement to apply for need-based grant, or do you just file the paperwork first and let the committee decide it?

3. Housing. I was thinking about Condo like everyone else, but many (respectable) real estate agents told me I will have trouble selling it later. So I am looking at apartment right now...does anyone have a good recommendation for location that is cheaper, safer, and closer to school (yeah that is a lot to ask for all at once :D).

I know it is a lot of question, but I got somewhat bombarded with this stuff at the last minute. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

1. I think that's all
2. Not sure as I didn't receive any institutional loans.
3. There's the big three (Lanesborough, Greenbriar, and Archstone) plus a few others. I think that info is somewhere in this thread.

EDIT: Here's a really good post by riverie about housing. Lots more good info is scattered in this thread. I highly suggest you read it all. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5993738&postcount=62

for those of you with one bedroom apts, what do you typically pay for electricity per month?

One thing about utilities in Texas (don't know if you're from here or not) and you may already know this, but that they are deregulated. Thus meaning, companies have to compete for your business. So there are the Big 3 (Reliant, TXU, and Direct) and I've had service with two of them. I think my bill average about $80-90/month (~700 sq. ft. and I keep my house comfortably ~73 degrees), of course with the summers nearing $140-150 and the winters about $60. Recently I switched to Spark Energy and my last 3 bills have been $45-55, which is good for Spring in Houston.

Go to the website www.powertochoose.org for all the info and price comparisons you'll ever want. Hope this helps.

One thing about utilities in Texas (don't know if you're from here or not) and you may already know this, but that they are deregulated. Thus meaning, companies have to compete for your business. So there are the Big 3 (Reliant, TXU, and Direct) and I've had service with two of them. I think my bill average about $80-90/month (~700 sq. ft. and I keep my house comfortably ~73 degrees), of course with the summers nearing $140-150 and the winters about $60. Recently I switched to Spark Energy and my last 3 bills have been $45-55, which is good for Spring in Houston.

Go to the website www.powertochoose.org for all the info and price comparisons you'll ever want. Hope this helps.

that's excellent. i was actually aware of the deregulation, but ages ago where i lived there wasn't a choice. i've never lived in an area where i had to "choose" the provider.

so, costs are probably pretty high now, right? if you were on a variable plan before, how much did it fluctuate?

for those of you with one bedroom apts, what do you typically pay for electricity per month?

I live at UT-Housing in a 1/1 and pay about $70-80 during the summers and $40-50 during the winter. I keep my place at 76-77 during the summer. I use Reliant.

It really depends on your study habits. I tend to study outside of my apartment at Borders or Starbucks, so it's nice to have a notebook computer to look at powerpoints or look stuff up on wikipedia. As far as needing laptops for class...you don't really "need" one, but it may convenient if you want to take notes (or facebook during a bad lecture). One nice thing about Baylor is that they recently installed outlets in every row of the auditoriums...this wasn't the case when I was a first year...so a lot of first years now bring their computers.

You can find a nicely equipped notebook for ~$700 so I think it's well worth the investment even if you already have a desktop.

that's excellent. i was actually aware of the deregulation, but ages ago where i lived there wasn't a choice. i've never lived in an area where i had to "choose" the provider.

so, costs are probably pretty high now, right? if you were on a variable plan before, how much did it fluctuate?

Well, I've never been on a variable plan, I guess I'm just not that risky...lol. Like I said, my last bill was $55, haven't gotten the bill for this month yet, but your're right it is pretty hot now. Also, fans help a lot.

Has anyone been able to fill out an Institutional Loan Promissory Note? My award says that I still need to complete one, but then there's a note that says the financial aid office will contact us once these are ready to be signed. When I contacted the fin aid office about this they said the promissory notes were online but I can't seem to find a link or any info about them at all online. Am I just not seeing this thing online or am I supposed wait for the finaid office to contact me about it?

Also, does anyone know when we need to accept our stafford loans by? I've been putting off doing this stuff because of finals/graduation and I just wanted to know if there's any impending deadline that I don't know about.

i cant remember, can someone remind me if the lectures are all available on video streaming? Thanks.

Is there a specific interest rate for institutional loans and is the $22,000 budgeted for living expenses enough form most people? If not, what do most people do?...I'm new to the idea of taking out loans:confused: