Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we get a second look for BCM? I haven't received any info about it. Does anyone know if they have one?

Members don't see this ad.

Do we get a second look for BCM? I haven't received any info about it. Does anyone know if they have one?

I was reading the BCM c/o 2012 thread, and I think their "second look" was on May 2, 2008 (a Friday). So I guess we should expect something in early May? :D

Last edited:
Hey everyone. Congrats to everyone to has already been accepted. I got my acceptance letter in the mail about 2 weeks ago. Can't wait to meet you all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had asked Melody a few months ago if there was a second look, and she told me 'no'..so it sounds like they are changing it from last year..

congrats to everyone!! got my acceptance letter a couple weeks ago..cant wait to meet all you guys!

perplexedpixel and bigkdawg, first off, congrats on the acceptance! Secondly, when did y'all interview?

I'm still hoping to hear from BCM...I interviewed on 12/12

im one of the bs/md kids so i did my interview a looong while ago. keep on holding out kev..im sure you will get the great news soon!! are u holding any acceptances at other schools?

As of now, it will be UTMB next fall, but if BCM comes calling... things may change

First of all, hi everyone! I'm 95% sure I want to attend Baylor (just waiting on fin aid packages). I interviewed in Oct, acceptance in late Nov.

OK, so my jaw dropped when I read about the cost of student health insurance. According to their handbook (http://www.bcm.edu/osa/handbook/?PMID=7607), the monthly rates were:

student only:$134
student+spouse:$264
student+2dependants:$503

These are 2008-2009 figures. On BCM's student affairs/health insurance site (http://www.bcm.edu/osa/handbook/?PMID=7606), however, it gives updated numbers:

NEW! Insurance premiums announced for the 2009-2010 Academic Year

Student Only
$244/month

Student and Spouse
$618/month

Student & Child(ren)
$488/month

Student & Family (Spouse and Child(ren))
$862/month

There will be no change in policy coverage.

I'm married, so really are we talking about a 100+% increase for the student+spouse from 2008 to this year? $264/m to $618? If my wife and I have kids, we'll be paying more for health coverage than for rent. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Sorry I interviewed at Baylor on 2/20/09 (my first choice in forever) and have not heard anything yet. How soon did people get calls? I am sooooooooooo anxiously waiting to hear anything. Don't know if I should call Dr. Greenberg himself. :)

Anyone else out there who interviewd on 2/20/09 and has heard anything?????

Thanks,:laugh:

Hey everyone! Sorry I interviewed at Baylor on 2/20/09 (my first choice in forever) and have not heard anything yet. How soon did people get calls? I am sooooooooooo anxiously waiting to hear anything. Don't know if I should call Dr. Greenberg himself. :)

Anyone else out there who interviewd on 2/20/09 and has heard anything?????

Thanks,:laugh:

This has been discussed a couple of times if you check back in the thread. But it's been a minimum of two weeks to a maximum of several months. However, we've been told by the school that most of the rest of acceptances will go out this month.

Good Luck! :luck:

I will just sit anxiously waiting :) ANXIOUSLY!!!! Gosh I will pray more these next several weeks than I have prayed my whole life :) I hope people start posting when they here that then have an acceptance!!!:)

I'm also one of those bs/md students. Don't worry if you haven't been accepted yet. I know of some people who did not get accepted until May. There's still a chance as long as you've already interviewed because I heard that they've stopped interviewing applicants. If you're really interested in attending Baylor, you may want to send a letter of intent to the admissions committee. It won't guarantee your admission, but it may be able to help.

I think you can apply to get a waiver for insurance if you already have insurance coverage. Maybe you can find something cheaper and then apply for the waiver.

Good luck to everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone from the class of 2013 apply to Baylor via EDP?

for those of you had got an acceptance call from Dr. Greenberg.....how long was the phone call???

for those of you had got an acceptance call from Dr. Greenberg.....how long was the phone call???

My call lasted about 2 hours. We had a long discussion about overzealous pre-med students who are so anxious about their admissions status that they begin to ask frighteningly irrelevant questions.
Also, I heard that he only lets the phone ring once before he hangs up and rescinds your decision. Make sure your phone is in your hand at all times so you can be ready to answer the call.

My call lasted about 2 hours. We had a long discussion about overzealous pre-med students who are so anxious about their admissions status that they begin to ask frighteningly irrelevant questions.
Also, I heard that he only lets the phone ring once before he hangs up and rescinds your decision. Make sure your phone is in your hand at all times so you can be ready to answer the call.

lol you're not right for this :laugh:

It was definitely less than a minute in duration. But again, don't expect it to come when you're anticipating it. The ONE day I wasn't expecting BCM to call (since I was really busy with other things)... well... a dream came true for one Houstonian. :)

Thank you Rishk, and Congratulations on your acceptance at Baylor again!!!! I am glad to know that there are some mature folks on here. :p I am an out of state applicant.

Thank you Rishk, and Congratulations on your acceptance at Baylor again!!!! I am glad to know that there are some mature folks on here. :p I am an out of state applicant.

You're welcome! This is supposed to be the most active month for BCM acceptance offers. Keep that in mind and good luck!

You're welcome! This is supposed to be the most active month for BCM acceptance offers. Keep that in mind and good luck!

Welcome and congrats incoming students! I'm a third year at Baylor so if anyone wants some advice please PM me. I also have a room to rent out near the medical center, so if anyone needs housing also let me know. Congrats congrats! and welcome to houston :thumbup:

Has anyone been accepted recently? I remember a bunch of people saying that March was a big month for acceptances...

Well, Baylor has to have a full class by the end of this month, so I'm sure there will be some activity this week...

Why do you say that it has to be full? Is that a rule for med schools or something?

AAMC Recommendations for Medical School Admissions Officers says
"By March 30 of the matriculation year, each school have isssued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in the first year entering class"

I'd just like to point out I don't have this memorized; I use my MSAR as a stand for my laptop when it gets overheated.

So I guess there will be a group of acceptances by the end of this week or early next week...

anyone know when scholarship offers start going out?

anyone know when scholarship offers start going out?

I spoke with fin aid who said they were going to start putting together financial packages on April 1. Apparently merit scholarships are done via the admissions office and fin aid was hoping they'd have those in hand by 4/1, so hopefully we would hear something by that day.

Cross-posted from the Texas thread!

March 26, 2009

To the faculties, staffs and students of Rice University and Baylor College of Medicine:

We are pleased to announce that the governing boards of Rice and BCM this week approved the signing of a memorandum of understanding (MOU) that lays out a broad framework for formal negotiations about a possible merger of our two institutions.

While no decision on a merger has yet been made and many issues remain to be resolved, our boards have concluded that a closer affiliation has abundant potential benefits for both institutions, as well as for our home city of Houston. Months of informal discussions have confirmed that the missions and aspirations of our two institutions are in fact closely aligned, that both institutions would benefit in many ways from a merger and that, together, Rice and BCM could be one of the world's leading research universities.

The MOU framework will allow us to systematically and thoroughly move ahead with the next stage of discussions. Over the next few months, we will seek to address issues and concerns that have surfaced from those discussions, and we will continue to solicit input from members of our respective communities. The success of a merger, or any closer affiliation, will also depend significantly on how effectively we plan for and manage its implementation.

Baylor College of Medicine and Rice University are institutions of distinction that bring great achievements and greater potential to such a merger. Each is known throughout the world for contributions to important areas of human knowledge and service. Both are entering this conversation closely attentive to the importance of sustaining that which is great, inspired by the possibilities of expanded distinction and contribution, respectful of our values and traditions, and committed to our responsibilities to Houston and the broader society.

Thank you for the suggestions and insights that have helped shape our discussions so far. We continue to welcome your ideas going forward.

David W. Leebron William T. Butler, M.D.
President Interim President
Rice University Baylor College of Medicine

I just called the admissions office...They said that they have to have their acceptances complete by 3/30, not their class filled.

I just called the admissions office...They said that they have to have their acceptances complete by 3/30, not their class filled.

Maybe I can't wrap my mind around it, but how can you have acceptances complete and not have your class filled?

Because some people will decline the acceptance.

Wouldn't that mean that they filled their class and then some (overfilled)?

Maybe this will shed some light. They have to make enough offers to fill their class by 3/30, but they can make more offers after that if they want to overbook, or replace those that withdraw their acceptances.

AAMC Recommendations for Medical School Admission Officers:

1. By March 30 of the matriculation year, each school have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services.

Great news about the Rice/BCM merger!

btw there is an update on the BCM 2013 site..

btw..I have an off-topic question: what is the political climate like at BCM? Are most students conservative?

I sure hope so. ;-) But either way, a merger with Rice will probably skew the current views to a more liberal perspective.

There's another reason to hope for a rice merger! Actually I am interested in the answer to this as well..any current student have anything to say? I dont know many current students, but the ones I do know aren't conservative..just wondering what the general trend is..

Last edited:
There's another reason to hope for a rice merger! Actually I am interested in the answer to this as well..any current student have anything to say? I dont know many current students, but the ones I do know aren't conservative..just wondering what the general trend is..

This is just my personal opinion, but it seems that most med students are liberal and that most administration is conservative. I can only think of a handful of people in my class with conservative political views. I don't think that this is necessarily a trend that is unique to Baylor, but medicine in general.

I don't know that a Rice merger would do anything to change the leanings of the board. The medical school will be run much the same that it is now. As far as I know, finances and operations will be separate. The most important aspect of the merger is collaboration for research. Rice's global research will also open new avenues for Baylor in that respect.

We had a guest speaker (community practice) for an elective that I'm in earlier this week. She clearly illustrated the dichotomy between the older generation and us. She made a comment like, "I was born in the wrong generation. Things have been going South for reimbursements for a long time now. Heck, you guys were really born in the wrong generation. You might actually have to like your patients, because you can't go into medicine for the money anymore." It does seem that with the economic climate the way that it is that you do have to go into medicine for the right reasons. Most of my classmates were appalled by this comment.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response!

I have another question for you if you dont mind: Given the condensed curriculum and the 1-month summer break between 1st/2nd year; do most students do research during elective blocks (take some of the free elective time in 2nd/3rd yr and use that for research)? Or, is there time during preclinicals (or even clinicals) to do research concurrently? Any advice on this?

Thanks for your response!

I have another question for you if you dont mind: Given the condensed curriculum and the 1-month summer break between 1st/2nd year; do most students do research during elective blocks (take some of the free elective time in 2nd/3rd yr and use that for research)? Or, is there time during preclinicals (or even clinicals) to do research concurrently? Any advice on this?

I don't know exactly how it would work with clinicals, but you could definitely work some in during the preclinical years if you find that you are handling the material well. I have a couple of classmates that are currently working on research and know others that are trying to get involved.

From what I understand, some people will do work during the school year, and then take elective time to devote their research later on.

So, I know there has been tons of discussion on housing here already, but I just flew to Houston yesterday to look for condos! Ive found a couple I really really like in condoland (One Montreal Place or Cambridge Court) that are really close to the Metro #87 bus. The condos are really nice with 2 bdrm, 1 bath...but before I purchase Im looking for a female roommate. I was hoping there was an easier way to do this on the BCM website but it doesnt look that way...

btw..I have an off-topic question: what is the political climate like at BCM? Are most students conservative?

I'm conservative, but student groups that I would classify as liberal are more prevalent (students for choice, etc.).

So, I know there has been tons of discussion on housing here already, but I just flew to Houston yesterday to look for condos! Ive found a couple I really really like in condoland (One Montreal Place or Cambridge Court) that are really close to the Metro #87 bus. The condos are really nice with 2 bdrm, 1 bath...but before I purchase Im looking for a female roommate. I was hoping there was an easier way to do this on the BCM website but it doesnt look that way...

Did you see the housing link on the Baylor site? They take the names of Baylor students that are selling or need roommates, etc. Here's the address: http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2013/?PMID=5858

when is BCM's revisit weekend? I don't think I've ever gotten any information on it. Thanks!

Did you see the housing link on the Baylor site? They take the names of Baylor students that are selling or need roommates, etc. Here's the address: http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2013/?PMID=5858

Thanks Savannah, and yes I did. Are we just supposed to post on there if we are looking for a roommate? Do you know how often its updated? It just seems like a pretty inefficient way to find a roommate :(

Thanks Savannah, and yes I did. Are we just supposed to post on there if we are looking for a roommate? Do you know how often its updated? It just seems like a pretty inefficient way to find a roommate :(

I would check facebook for a class of 2013 group. you might have better luck that way.

I was just looking at last yrs thread and it seems that by this time last year a lot of people received scholarship offers...anyone gotten any (merit) scholarships yet, or is admissions just behind this year?