Baylor dental post-Bac,,,,anyone who completed it????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghadiel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was would like any info. from anyone who has attended the Baylor dental post-bac or anyone is currently applying to the program this year. I applied a few weeks ago and would like some feedback. Good or Bad?
:thumbup::thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

If you fulfill the requirements, it's a great program... you will get accepted to dental school.

I have also applied to the program. I believe they only take 16 people and the deadline is Friday. I wonder how many applicants they have got so far.
I had a friend who attended the program, I believe it's a good program. Something is better than nothing. In this competitive pool of dental applicants which is going to be even worst next year, it's really awsome to have a spot guaranteed at some school. I am just wondering how is their interview process???

Members don't see this ad :)
i applied to the program this week as...i feel like it's this super secret program that no one knows about lol...which is good...guess it'll just be me and you this year, LOL

it's not so secret... but it is very competitive. Good luck to all of you. Only 18 will be admitted.

and yes the program is great, because you are in D-school as long as you fulfill all the requirements, like GPA and DAT. And they are pretty reasonable.

ANyone :scared: heard anything from the Baylor postbac program yet? Are interviews granted and/or are they necessary for acceptance in April?????:boom:

Friday was the deadline, too early to worry. I know the applicant pool for this program is very competitive. I don't know what they mostly go by, by your grades,.... or by being a disadvantaged individual. How are your stats if you don't mind.

Well, im a special case i guess. My undergrad isnt good so i pursued a grad degree (3.7 gpa).

I am currently in the Baylor Postbacc program and have to say that it is truly incredible! You won't find a better program! To be really honest, I am happy that I got in to this program first and not straight in....I know that that sounds crazy but try to follow me....In the postbacc program you have so many advantages:

1) You already know 16 people! Which is a big deal because many D-1's say that you don't really get a chance to meet each other and know who to study with and who is better at what.

2) You already know how to wax. We waxed for 5 weeks this past summer and took test in dental anatomy and have waxed once a month since this past summer. Then this summer you wax for another four weeks. This was really a big deal for me since I the first day in postbacc dental anatomy the only thing that I recognized was a bunsen burner! Many D-1's have told me that by the time you get the hang of it in your first year your grade has already suffered! Plus the dental lab is pretty big and you do not get any individual attention where in postbacc Dr. Crane has all the time in the world to answer questions and sit down in your lab seat and show you want you are doing wrong. He grades every waxup and tries to make it just like your D-1 year. In addition, he usually has an assistant that helps out as well.

3) You know all resources available i.e. who to talk to when you need a tutor....which for some people everything is overwhelming at first and tend to not ask for help because they do not know the person responsible. In postbacc you already know the lady (Mrs. Hornbeck).

4) You are definitely in dental school just as long as you meet the requirements

If any of you have any other questions PM sine I don't check SDN as much anymore. I spoke with Natasha Sneed the other day and she said that this year there are less applicants to the program. GOOD LUCK!

:thumbup:I just have one more question. How is the first Summer,,,do they really prepare u for the DAT, is there tutoring available , ie . is there a lot of focus on scoring well in the DAT????? Thanks and ur info has helped.:bow:

Thank you so much for the information you provided us. I had two questions,beside Dr.Brook and Dr. Crane, who else are on the the post-bac admission committee, ans when did you receive an interview and how did it go? my last question is do you mind discussing your stats. I would be very thankful to you if you could answer these questions

Regarding your questions:

Dr. Crane, Dr. Brooks, and Dr. Miller were the three that interviewed me! Many of you asked how my interview went and if I had any advice. The best piece of advice that I can give you is be yourself during the interview. Baylor is really looking for people that are down to earth. Many other dental schools are looking for straight up perfect scores and perfect GPAs, but I really feel that Baylor looks at the whole person. I used to be in the Army and Baylor actually reminds me of it in one sense and that is that it is really diverse. Diverse not just in terms of ethnicity, but in terms of people from all walks of life. It is not a secret that Baylor is big on giving back! They want to see people that have given back in the past and not just checked the block as in volunteered at the local dental clinic (especially if the clinic was owned by a relative). They want to hear your interest in giving back in the future.

Another question posed was about DAT preparation during postbacc. In my group of fellows approx. 11 of us had to take the DAT over. The other five already made the score of 18 that is required. The program does a great job in preparing you for the DAT. Also keep in mind that you have to prepare on your own as well. My advice would be once you are accepted or even earlier come down out of the clouds and start preparing on your own. It took me a week after being accepted to come out of the clouds since I was so excited, but I hit the books then and it paid off. I should be honest and say that an old friend of mine brought me out of the clouds when I called him and told him "I got in!!" and he replied with “in nursing school??" I think I snapped out of the fog immediately after that question! Another piece of advice would be to immediately start forming studying groups once you get into the program. This was very difficult for my group since some people were shy. It was actually pretty funny because the females sat on one side of the room and the males on the other like elementary school! You get two chances to make the score. Yes, the pressure is on!! You really know that pretty much it is the only thing that can keep you out of Baylor unless you show zero enthusiasm. In my group we all achieved the required score except for one. I am not sure if he has retaken it or not yet. We did have three people drop out of the program for various reasons. Make sure that this is what you want to do!!!! I applied to postbacc three times and it was a little disheartening when I saw people leave, because you know that there are people out there that would die for that seat. I am very loyal and am truly more than happy for the seat in the class and would never leave! They might put me out, but I would never leave!

The best thing that could happen to you is if you already have the DAT score of 18. Those guys in my class where living the good life! No stress period! All they had during the summer was Dental Anatomy and Study skills course. I actually didn't understand why some of them didn't have higher grades in Dental Anatomy. Dental Anatomy is a great course. There are some people in my group that are truly talented. We have this one kid that produces some serious master work! As for me, I am not that talented as some, but dental anatomy starts during the academic year at 10am on Saturday and I am there at 8:30 am putting in the extra work. That shows you once again how dedicated Dr. Crane is! He asks me what time I want to come! I am always a little hesitant since I used to be in the military and might shock him with a 5am one day!! Bottom line up front, get your 18 DAT!

Somebody asked if I would discuss my stats! To be honest, my stats probably wouldn't be a great comparison since I didn't go to a traditional undergrad. So, here you go...I am sure that you have heard this time and time again when people say that their school was harder! But I went to West Point (The United States Military Academy). I will tell you this...you need a 2.5 GPA to get in the Postbacc! I obviously met the standard. In addition, in my graduating class from the Academy we didn't have any 4.0s. If you got a 3.0 GPA they gave you a star to wear on your uniform...so what does that tell you...? A friend of mine had a 3.7 I believe and was a Rhode Scholars and was considered the man! One last thing about my undergrad and I will leave it all alone....my sophomore year out of 1000 classmates 600 failed the final in physics and no, there was not a curve period. I remember going from boxing to calculus.... So, if you have a 2.5 you are in the race and probably will be considered.

Keep the questions coming...I am more than happy to answer them!

The whole time i have been thinking that they do phone interviews!!!!!
Do they all interview you at the same time, and you have to go up there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Natasha calls you and offers you dates.....you pick one and then come up to Baylor for your interview...there might be a few others there as well

dude...your awesome! thank you for all your responses, i gave up looking at this thread i didn't think we were ever going to get any answers...

ahhh yeah i'm happy to hear about the lack of applicants this year, mwahahahahahaha:smuggrin: means i stand a chance....:D

dude with a march 14 deadline and april 14th letting people know if there in or not...doesn't seem like much time to run for an interview...um yeah but i sure would drop everything i had to do to make it...cause i sure bought and outfit to wear already...shooot i'm all about the positive thinking :laugh:

have any of you that have applied for the post bac program this year, gotten that call for an interview yet or know someone who has?...i'm ready to panic, :scared:
:laugh:

not gotten a call just yet. I know.. i feel your pain.

have any of you that have applied for the post bac program this year, gotten that call for an interview yet or know someone who has?...i'm ready to panic, :scared:
:laugh:

Baylor is on spring break!!!!!!!!!! Chillllllllll man. It's all gonne be over within 3 weeks. Do you also have a master like lot of the applicants.

OH MY GAWD!!!! spring break!!!!! i am officially special! i was freaking out! no seriously, i was going thru every worse case why they didn't call me scenario in my head...ah surprisingly spring break was in none of the scenarios...ahh breathing once again! gosh aren't you guys just going to love to have class with me!!!

i swear i don't over react all the time! no matter how many exclamation points i put, lol :laugh:

no i don't have a master's degree...is that what most of the applicants have...you know so i can panic again, lol, kidding

well let me know if you guys hear anything!

Did you ever receive an interview for your dental application. I did, I just hope that I didn't disappoint Dr.miller when I had my interview with her. Because based on what they say it's all about your personality!!!

ha ha funny story...one of my LOR didn't turn in my recommendation, he just had alot of drama, his wife passed, he fell off his roof and broke his leg, ect...and so my application was considered incomplete...long story short, no interviews at all during this last cycle...and after i cried and wanted to kill him...i just kinda sat right there while he filled out my letter for this post bac program.:laugh:
see i've come along way i can sit and laugh now...back in october...no laughing.

i can't completely blame him, i had a low dat score, i.e i will be sitting thru the summer class, but after he didn't turn in my letter, i just postponed the dat, instead of trying to cram again.

i think you definitely have an advantage, you've already interviewed with them once...infact, i like you a little bit less because of it:laugh: i'm soo kidding, but i think it just shows how serious you are about accomplishing your goals!

wasn't the interview with Baylor part of a requirement to apply to this program?

And no don't worry... it is about your personality, but after that, it is the whole package. Besides, there are so many qualified applicants, they had to pick those 90 or so to fill up the class. There is no room for everyone. So don't beat yourself up over it, and think that it was something to do with you personally.

Good luck everyone. Maybe after the holidays we will all get great news!!! :luck:

wasn't the interview with Baylor part of a requirement to apply to this program?

And no don't worry... it is about your personality, but after that, it is the whole package. Besides, there are so many qualified applicants, they had to pick those 90 or so to fill up the class. There is no room for everyone. So don't beat yourself up over it, and think that it was something to do with you personally.

Good luck everyone. Maybe after the holidays we will all get great news!!! :luck:

Is applying to Baylor dental school a must requirement to apply to Baylor post bac ? Is anyone accepted to post bac without applying to Baylor Dental school before?:love:

my understanding of it was you had to had applied to Baylor and had an interview with them.

I might be wrong.

ok out of boredom and my own desire to reassure myself i didn't need a baylor interview to qualify...the exact requirements in the brochure mailed to me by baylor

1. have completed a baccalaureate degree from a U.S accredited college or university
2. be a legal resident of texas
3. have a minimum gpa of 2.5 (overall)
4 have a history of overcoming adverse circumstances/be considered academically or economically disadvantaged
5. have demonstrated a desire to work with underserved populations or in communities with limited access to dental health care
6. have applied to texas A&M HSC-BCD for admission into the dental program

now of course the brochure i hold in my hand does NOT match up with the online info i found...well the dates, online says you will be notified by April 14, 2008, ahhh brochure says April 30, 2008
brochure classes start May 27
online says orientation June 2.

i think the brouchure may be a little more up to date cause it actually has the dates for the 2009 summer session, where as online it says tba..

now CSI Dentist...your awesome, full of great advice, i've read alot of your post, but please oh please can you be wrong this time about the interview, Thanks!:laugh:

well now needless to say, my panicking resumes tomorrow morning!

I am pretty sure you don't have to have interviewed with Baylor during the cycle, just applied. Although, I think they do select quite a few potential post-bacc applicants from those who interviewed but were denied admission.

I've also applied to this program...so far, I haven't yet heard back from them. One of the posts above says that Natasha will call the applicants and offer interview dates...has anyone received this phone call?

And for the people who are in, or have gone through, this program, how long did it take for Natasha to contact you after the deadline for the applications?

It's been over a week (since March 14, which was the deadline) -- I'm really wondering if anyone has heard back because I'm getting worried! Oh, and BTW, I wasn't offered an interview, either, when I applied for their dental school. =( Now I'm REALLY worried.

I haven't recieved a call yet...and I'll post when I do

I just called Natasha... She said that interviews have NOT started. They will be contacting applicants perhaps in the next week to start the first round. G'luck!

In addition, you do not have to be someone who had been granted an interview during the dental application cycle to be eligible. As long as you have applied to Baylor and received a rejection letter, you are good to go.

your awesome for calling thanks!!! Now call back, tell them to hurry up LOL:laugh:yaaay for us Baylor rejects... And what's with the "perhaps" in the next week, I'm impatient LOL I'm ready to start packing for Dallas!!!

McSexyDDS I hope I am wrong too... ;). I hope we all get into this program. I am so ready to start.

Especially after getting my rejection from Houston today. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

I am a bigger fan of Baylor anyway :hardy:

Good to hear i wasnt the only one getting a rejection email from houston,,,,not even a formal letter. :scared:
I too cant wait to get "the call". If anyone hears anything,,,,please post it. :confused:

u guys gotta admit that houston rejection was sooo nice, it didn't say "dear applicant" it actually had a name.

"we appreciate very much the interest that you have expressed in our institution and wish you the very best in your pursuit of a career in dentistry"
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

yeah i'd be the easiest chick in the world to break up with "its not you, it's me" lol:laugh:

hey, just throwing this out there, but Baylor's spring break is next week. so if yall don't hear until after then, i wouldn't be too surprised (although maybe the office for the post-bac program will be open? i don't know).

Good to hear i wasnt the only one getting a rejection email from houston,,,,not even a formal letter. :scared:
I too cant wait to get "the call". If anyone hears anything,,,,please post it. :confused:

I know. Would it have hurt them so much to mail a letter? I hate being rejected via e-mail. It really does feel like a break up. Hahhaha.....

Well fellow baylorpost bacc people, just got an actual "letter" rejecting me from San Antonio. :smuggrin: Now im really anxious to receive an interview call.

Hey CSI,
Can I have your offer :laugh:??? I don't know if I will ever make it to dental school, and you're worrying about the money issue. You can always work so hard after you graduate to pay off all of your loan money, but remember
Your dream is much more important than your wallet.

Hi, I'm new to this blog, and I must say I am happy to "meet" you guys who are also anxiously waiting for the interviews for the program. It's nice to get to know you guys, and to get people's thoughts and support on here. I, myself, was a little bit worried about the time restraints and interview process, but I'm glad this forum has kept me updated. You guys rock! I, of course, will be on here to ask lots of questions, but I'm here to support if you guys need it! Good luck, I will be checking this forum frequently. :p

Hey CSI,
Can I have your offer :laugh:??? I don't know if I will ever make it to dental school, and you're worrying about the money issue. You can always work so hard after you graduate to pay off all of your loan money, but remember
Your dream is much more important than your wallet.

Yes you can have it :). Oh did I mention that their graduation rate is less than 50%.. most of them have to graduate in five years bc of lack of chairs. You have to find your own patients and take care of scheduling/fixing teeth/billing.... also they have PBL.. you pay all that money to teach yourself everything, bc they don't really have professors.

But the beach is not that far ....

welcome dentistdreams! but sorry the position for the person in the class that overreacts and panics has been taken...by me, lol:laugh:

so it's almost monday...the staring at my cell phone can resume promptly at 8am, i am also wondering/worried about time for interviews and then how much time before we finally get our one acceptance letter this year...oh except for fancy CSI, who apparently got into the craziest dental school i've ever heard of!!!!! CSI your post has me wanting to look that stuff up, sounds freaking unreal...not enough chairs??? are you serious!!!

hahah.. yeah unfortunately it is real. Look up any thread on USC and you will hear all these great stories.

Got the interview call I go on april 15th omg!!!!!

Oh my Gosh!! So if you didn't get a call tody, that means you're not gonna get an interview?

do not panic!!! thats my job, lol, i love saying that! :laugh:

but i was offered two dates, tuesday and wednesday....honestly if i didn't get the call today and you other guys did, i'd probably wait till thursday before i panicked and then i'd call her :)

i got my call at the end of the day, it was after 4...then i immediately signed on here to tell you guys lol so i think that was pretty late in the day, you know i like to go thru all the crazy what if scenarios, so here's one for you, they got really busy today with paperwork and what-not, but knew they needed to get started calling the post-bac interviewees, so they got started on the list, and will continue the rest of them tomorrow!!!!

so good luck to all of you:luck:

Thanks girl!! I hope you're right. Are you a non-traditional student?

Thanks girl!! I hope you're right. Are you a non-traditional student?

i think so :laugh: got to check quite a few yes's on the application, well no not really maybe like 3, but that was one of them.

i'm going to be 29 in a month, so i'm pretty old by dental school standards, no husband or kids, but work full time- went to school full time...

seriously positive thinking, i'm telling you, i went out and bought an interview outfit last week or the week before, and if i don't get in to this program, (negative thinking, lol) i swear i'm applying to 15+ schools for the 2009 cycle...getting dissed once, fine, but not letting it happen again

i wish the other people who read this thread would post something, so i can see what you have to work with here, i mean theres not alot of us postbac people on here, but hopefully your phone rings tomorrow...and before you call friends or family, you have to post here and tell us, lol, like me, ha ha

i'm seriously thinking they're just off to a slow start calling people, cause if anything i thought that the phone call would be in the AM, not at the end of the day...so breathe and get some sleep!:luck:

can anyone apply or does individual have to be "academically or economically disadvantaged"?

Congratulations McSexy! :thumbup: From the sound of determination on your posts, I'm sure you will get in!

I haven't got my call yet and am starting to fear that I'll have to reapply with TMDSAS. But I will hold out hope until Friday!

Anybody else received 'The Call' yet? Any more info from Natasha? :scared: I bet we're not her favorite people right now.... :love:

can anyone apply or does individual have to be "academically or economically disadvantaged"?

from what I understand you need to have overcome some adverse circumstances or be academically or economically advantaged