BCPS Spring 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just took BCPS 2018. I've only been a hospital rph for 2 years but have 20 years retail experience. Studied when I could. Married with a family. Retail really stinks now. Hospital is so much better. Test was tough. I was scoring like 65 on mock exams from ACCP and ASHP so I thought I would give it a go. Won't be sad if I fail. I know I'm weak on REGS. I'll keep you all posted

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I am taking the BCACP this Friday. I did the MedEd101 mock exam and scored 70% and today I did the ASHP exam and scored 66% :(.

I am taking the BCACP this Friday. I did the MedEd101 mock exam and scored 70% and today I did the ASHP exam and scored 66% :(.
Good Luck.....everyone I spoke with scored from 55 to 70 on the mock exams ended up passing. Anything could happen, but sounds like you are ready

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Planning to take the test in oct 2018 and i'm not sure whether I should use high yield lectures or accp to study. any recommendations?

Just took BCPS 2018. I've only been a hospital rph for 2 years but have 20 years retail experience. Studied when I could. Married with a family. Retail really stinks now. Hospital is so much better. Test was tough. I was scoring like 65 on mock exams from ACCP and ASHP so I thought I would give it a go. Won't be sad if I fail. I know I'm weak on REGS. I'll keep you all posted
Any suggestions? I m taking my exam tomorow? Thanks

best of luck to all of you, especially those that are taking it today. Please keep us posted.

Wowww what an exam !! I felt that this exam was out to trick us not to test our clinical knowledge whatsoever .. just wow! Its def going to be hard to wait for the results

Just did the BCACP. Yes it was very hard. I took four months to study the ACCP materials. I was guessing left and right. I think the ACCP materials didn't focus enough on the non-pharmacology part of the curriculum.
I am going to relax until July which is when the results come out and not stress!

Best of luck to everyone! I tested in September 2017 and passed (thank God.....the wait for the results is torture).

Here is what I did to study (and I hope that it helps in some way). I first bought the ACCP study books. I was thinking about taking the exam in spring 2017, but I procrastinated and decided to delay until fall 2017. In the meantime, I also purchased the HYMR package and started watching the lectures and making notes (I actually received those materials 3 months prior to my test date). This was when I started studying for the exam, and while I could have started earlier (looking back on it all), I don't believe that an extra few weeks would have helped me do any better.

After I finished watching about half of the HYMR lectures and making notes, I started reading through the ACCP materials and using this to help solidify some of the information. Yes, the ACCP materials are more informational, but I think that watching and studying the HDMR materials showed me some things that weren't in the ACCP study materials. If I had to only choose one resource, though, go with the ACCP books. Trying to go back and review things on the slides from HYMR is difficult if you didn't take extra notes (and sometimes, even if you did). Speaking for myself, having both materials was not overkill. In fact, it showed me just how much information I was responsible for on the exam, and that was a huge punch to the gut!

I took the ACCP mock exam a week before the actual test, and I did poorly. The good thing about the mock exam is that it shows you the areas where you did well and those where you didn't do so well. It also includes extra questions from each section for you to check out. I would recommend taking the mock exam. At least this will give some indication on how the questions might be worded on the exam.

After taking the exam, I felt like I wasted time and money. I just knew that I failed and failed miserably. And the worst thing you can do after the exam is look up things that you were unsure about (and if you chose the wrong answers for these, it will haunt you until the results are released!). Fortunately, I passed, and now I can move on to beginning PSAPs.

Again, good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Best of luck to everyone! I tested in September 2017 and passed (thank God.....the wait for the results is torture).

Here is what I did to study (and I hope that it helps in some way). I first bought the ACCP study books. I was thinking about taking the exam in spring 2017, but I procrastinated and decided to delay until fall 2017. In the meantime, I also purchased the HYMR package and started watching the lectures and making notes (I actually received those materials 3 months prior to my test date). This was when I started studying for the exam, and while I could have started earlier (looking back on it all), I don't believe that an extra few weeks would have helped me do any better.

After I finished watching about half of the HYMR lectures and making notes, I started reading through the ACCP materials and using this to help solidify some of the information. Yes, the ACCP materials are more informational, but I think that watching and studying the HDMR materials showed me some things that weren't in the ACCP study materials. If I had to only choose one resource, though, go with the ACCP books. Trying to go back and review things on the slides from HYMR is difficult if you didn't take extra notes (and sometimes, even if you did). Speaking for myself, having both materials was not overkill. In fact, it showed me just how much information I was responsible for on the exam, and that was a huge punch to the gut!

I took the ACCP mock exam a week before the actual test, and I did poorly. The good thing about the mock exam is that it shows you the areas where you did well and those where you didn't do so well. It also includes extra questions from each section for you to check out. I would recommend taking the mock exam. At least this will give some indication on how the questions might be worded on the exam.

After taking the exam, I felt like I wasted time and money. I just knew that I failed and failed miserably. And the worst thing you can do after the exam is look up things that you were unsure about (and if you chose the wrong answers for these, it will haunt you until the results are released!). Fortunately, I passed, and now I can move on to beginning PSAPs.

Can you please post the links to materials you use? I want to start asap lol

Can you please post the links to materials you use? I want to start asap lol

Go to the ACCP website and go to shop >>>>> Updates in Therapeutics®: Pharmacotherapy Preparatory Review and Recertification Course, 2018 Edition

High Yield Med Reviews > Review Courses > BCPS Exam online review course > see packages > Premium package

Sorry, this site wouldn't let me post links because I'm new to the site! :(

Again, good luck to everyone![/

ifeel the same way... the exam had so many questions that in no way you can study for it..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

New here. I was looking online for other pharmacists to bitch with about this BCPS exam...low and behold, found you guys!

Sp....I just took it just today. All I got to say is: What...The...F....?!!!

Sorry, but I don't really care about regulating and publishing. I just want to be a lil clinical pharmacist with a few letters behind her name...is that too much to ask? I really came out of this exam feeling like one dumb mofo (and I'm definitely opposite of that). There was a lot of nonsense questions that I would never really come across on my day to day activities.

I also don't appreciate how they like to trick you with the wording; as if the entire thing isn't terrifying and complicated enough.

I honestly don't think I passed hence I can not pack up my study materials. They will be used again, unfortunately =(. The rest of my year is shot. Upcoming two months I will be worrying about seeing that big F score and the rest of the months: I will need to cough up more dough and once again, jam stupid **** (that I won't really ever need) just so I can chase a passing score.

Wowww what an exam !! I felt that this exam was out to trick us not to test our clinical knowledge whatsoever .. just wow! Its def going to be hard to wait for the results

Yeah totally. I wanted to do something cathartic like burn all of my ASHP review material (b/c it totally sucks, in my opinion) but I can't b/c I have to take it again end of year. Actually, now to think of it, I might still burn it b/c it really was the worst review material I have ever experienced. I really should have went with ACCP.

Hey guys,

New here. I was looking online for other pharmacists to bitch with about this BCPS exam...low and behold, found you guys!

Sorry, but I don't really care about regulating and publishing. I just want to be a lil clinical pharmacist with a few letters behind her name...is that too much to ask? I really came out of this exam feeling like one dumb mofo (and I'm definitely opposite of that). There was a lot of nonsense questions that I would never really come across on my day to day activities.

I also don't appreciate how they like to trick you with the wording; as if the entire thing isn't terrifying and complicated enough.

I honestly don't think I passed hence I can not pack up my study materials. They will be used again, unfortunately =(. The rest of my year is shot. Upcoming two months I will be worrying about seeing that big F score and the rest of the months: I will need to cough up more dough and once again, jam stupid **** (that I won't really ever need) just so I can chase a passing score.

I thought the same after I took it. Thought it was a waste of my time and that I failed miserably. But I didn’t fail! Don’t lose hope. It’s easy to be tough on yourself (thinking about how and what you could have done differently), but there’s nothing you can do now. Just wait and see what happens. You may be surprised.

Yea... i was like this is not clinical at all- and the clinical questions were so tricky that u need to know very little details about every products to answer it.. i also didnt get what most ppl said “mostly cardio, id” that wasnt really what happened with me either.. i dont know if i took a diff exam haha

I thought the same after I took it. Thought it was a waste of my time and that I failed miserably. But I didn’t fail! Don’t lose hope. It’s easy to be tough on yourself (thinking about how and what you could have done differently), but there’s nothing you can do now. Just wait and see what happens. You may be surprised.
Thanks for your support this is crazy

Hey guys,

Hahah i agree man... i had accp and honestly i thought material wasnt there either

Superb superb! So not only was the material not really in ASHP, it wasn't in ACPP (also heard not in High Yield) either. Great....where the hell are these questions coming from? I'd imagine there are these pharmacy trolls rubbing their hands devilishly on Saturday evenings coming up with ridiculous BCPS questions, for like fun...like why else would someone put questions like this in there?

Yea... i was like this is not clinical at all- and the clinical questions were so tricky that u need to know very little details about every products to answer it.. i also didnt get what most ppl said “mostly cardio, id” that wasnt really what happened with me either.. i dont know if i took a diff exam haha

Whoever told you that it was mostly cardio or ID was not being forthcoming. I think we all had the same exam....I spoke to someone else that took it and we had pretty much the same questions. The worst part was that I concentrated heavily on Cardio and ID (thinking that it would be hot topics; ie CHF, Sepsis, Shock, etc) and what did I find...small potatoes as compared to other stuff.

You're also on the mark about how when there WERE clinical questions, it was very tricky and you would definitely need to know the MINUTE details of the drug, otherwise you would get it wrong! I really am not at the age for that kind of memory capacity anymore. That was reserved for my Naplex years.

When a pharmacotherapy exam is so broad spectrum, It would be decent to just ask for guideline therapy and throw in co-morbidty scenarios. Well, that was essentially what they did but they just threw in some really BS questions.

Last edited:
Thanks...I'll try to calm down but this being the first night....argh. I tried to take a nap today and I kept on waking up with BCPS test questions that popped in my head and I had to look them up. No bueno.

Whoever told you that it was mostly cardio or ID was not being forthcoming. I think we all had the same exam....I spoke to someone else that took it and we had pretty much the same questions. The worst part was that I concentrated heavily on Cardio and ID (thinking that it would be hot topics; ie CHF, Sepsis, Shock, etc) and what did I find...small potatoes as compared to other stuff.

You're also on the mark about how when there WERE clinical questions, it was very tricky and you would definitely need to know the MINUTE details of the drug, otherwise you would get it wrong! I really am not at the age for that kind of memory capacity anymore. That was reserved for my Naplex years.

When a pharmacotherapy exam is so broad spectrum, It would be decent to just ask for guideline therapy and throw in co-morbidty scenarios. Well, that was essentially what they did but they just threw in some really BS questions.

You ought to delete that. No sharing questions.

I PM'd you.

Last edited:
Did anyone get a confirmation email that acknowledged you sat for the exam? I was told by the Prometric people I would get a confirmation/acknowledgement email, but I haven't gotten anything.

Did anyone get a confirmation email that acknowledged you sat for the exam? I was told by the Prometric people I would get a confirmation/acknowledgement email, but I haven't gotten anything.
I did not either.

I trust the HY more than I trust the ACCP

I trust the HY more than I trust the ACCP
Some of it is out of date.

And I counted 54% was non-clinical (though some questions on the practice test ACCP classified as clinical that I wouldn't have, so that's just my personal feeling. This was my second time and I felt like it was mostly non-clinical last time, so I kept a tally this time).

Did you guys use the previous HTN guidelines with goal < 140/90 instead of the new one with goal <130/80? I did because I assumed the test was written well before that change occurred. I hate that though. I wish they would specifically state which guidelines they are referencing (the year at least) for guideline-based questions.

The BPS candidate's guide states as follows:

"Practice guidelines used for the Spring examination are those that are current as of January 1 of the testing year. Practice guidelines for the Fall examination are those that are current as of July 1 of the testing year."

Since HTN guidelines came out last fall, I studied those- but, for example, the new C Diff guidelines came out this past February, if I'm not mistaken, so I didn't study the new guidelines for exam purposes. Hope that's helpful!

The BPS candidate's guide states as follows:

"Practice guidelines used for the Spring examination are those that are current as of January 1 of the testing year. Practice guidelines for the Fall examination are those that are current as of July 1 of the testing year."

Since HTN guidelines came out last fall, I studied those- but, for example, the new C Diff guidelines came out this past February, if I'm not mistaken, so I didn't study the new guidelines for exam purposes. Hope that's helpful!

Ah, I thought they came out more recently. Oh well.

I have not studied from either one of them for my BCCCP .

make your own notes that are my advice

I did take and passed last year i only study my notes

To achieve your goal. You need to study hard from the right source and make sure you write the most important points on the side or on a separate notebook make it as short notes and that what you 'll review for the exam that what really make you pass this exam.

I plan to take the infectious disease this Fall. Have any of you heard anyone being denied for their candidacy of taking the test? if denied, are the fee refunded?
Thank you!

Does anyone know why it takes over 2 months to receive your score on a computerized exam?

Does anyone know why it takes over 2 months to receive your score on a computerized exam?
So that you only get two months to study to retake it and fail again. I guess that's how they make money off of us

I think it’s because there is some kind of ‘curve’ - I hope

I think it’s because there is some kind of ‘curve’ - I hope
I never thought I'd be hoping for a "curve" after pharmacy school. No one's heard anything yet??? It's been more than 6 weeks...

You'd think they would provide some update to us as a professional courtesy. It's pitiful that they charge $600 and take more than 8 weeks to grade.

You'd think they would provide some update to us as a professional courtesy. It's pitiful that they charge $600 and take more than 8 weeks to grade.

I bet we’ll find out sometime between July 1st and 5th ....
I feel like I have a 50/50 chance. I made many guesses so who knows!
Good luck everyone!

Not to mention the limited options if I want to retake the test since the registration window has been open for a while now.