Becoming a better candidate for M.D/D.O. school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wanderer7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here because I really need some help right now. I was wanting to apply to M.D. school this cycle, but I don't think that is doable right now. My latest MCAT score was a 485 (I at least want to get a 508 in the future). I wasn't fully prepared the last time I took the MCAT. I have an undergrad GPA of 2.93 from my university, but I retook organic chem at a community college and did better (Ochem I: C+; Ochem II: B-; Ochem III: B). I graduated in 2014 with a B.S. in psychology and I also took the pre-reqs for med school at the same time. I am also going to take cellular biology and microbiology this coming summer quarter. My pre-health advisor told me to take upper level science classes to show med schools that I can handle rigorous courses especially since I graduated in 2014. I am wanting to go into psychiatry in the future.

I've volunteered at a hospital in the E.R. department for 6 months, went on a medical internship (psychiatry focused) for 2 weeks at a teaching hospital in Thailand, I've shadowed a sleep doctor/psychiatrist, and I'm also a CNA.

I'm currently thinking about applying to D.O. schools this cycle. Ideally at PNWU, Idaho College of Osteopathy, and both Western University of Health Sciences campuses. I'd like to stay on the west coast if possible. While applying I was thinking about working on getting a M.S. in clinical psychology, take some science classes, and gain more leadership, volunteer, shadow experience, and study for the MCAT.

Any thoughts? Advice? Please do not post any negativity on here.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here because I really need some help right now. I was wanting to apply to M.D. school this cycle, but I don't think that is doable right now. My latest MCAT score was a 485 (I at least want to get a 508 in the future). I wasn't fully prepared the last time I took the MCAT. I have an undergrad GPA of 2.93 from my university, but I retook organic chem at a community college and did better (Ochem I: C+; Ochem II: B-; Ochem III: B). I graduated in 2014 with a B.S. in psychology and I also took the pre-reqs for med school at the same time. I am also going to take cellular biology and microbiology this coming summer quarter. My pre-health advisor told me to take upper level science classes to show med schools that I can handle rigorous courses especially since I graduated in 2014. I am wanting to go into psychiatry in the future.

I've volunteered at a hospital in the E.R. department for 6 months, went on a medical internship (psychiatry focused) for 2 weeks at a teaching hospital in Thailand, I've shadowed a sleep doctor/psychiatrist, and I'm also a CNA.

I'm currently thinking about applying to D.O. schools this cycle. Ideally at PNWU, Idaho College of Osteopathy, and both Western University of Health Sciences campuses. I'd like to stay on the west coast if possible. While applying I was thinking about working on getting a M.S. in clinical psychology, take some science classes, and gain more leadership, volunteer, shadow experience, and study for the MCAT.

Any thoughts? Advice? Please do not post any negativity on here.

An average applicant for osteopathic schools have stats around a 3.3-3.4 GPA and a 500+ MCAT. Currently, I think you will be donating to any MD/DO school if you apply this cycle - unless there is something stellar that was not mentioned above, you are looking at a couple years of GPA/application repair to provide yourself the best chances.

Here's some things to consider:
  1. What is the breakdown of your GPA by semester? What is your science GPA? Do you have an upward trend? - Most schools will pre-screen your application at the 3.0 mark.
  2. Retake the MCAT and score above a 500 to be competitive for some schools, and a 508 to be competitive for all schools (DO). Only sit for the exam when you are consistently scoring your target on practice exams.
  3. You could improve shadowing by shadowing a PCP for 40-50 hours. But other than that, your time is better spent elsewhere.
  4. I don't believe an MS in Clinical Psychology will help your application very much. Look into SMPs as they are generally considered the backdoor into medical school.
  5. Being a re-applicant is a negative mark on your application, only apply when you have a decent chance of admission.

Reactions: 1 users
I would not advise applying this cycle. As of current, you have not demonstrated that you can handle the rigor of medical school. You need to increase BOTH your MCAT and GPA. Like @Rusrus said, if you apply now you'll most likely be "making a donation" and will have to apply again but now with the stigma of "reapplicant" which is an extra hurdle. (I was a re-applicant.) Don't apply until you have the best possible application ready.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need a cGPA and sGPA of at least 3.0 along with a MCAT of 500 or higher to have any chance for DO interviews. You can increase your GPA by taking science courses at a local college (community college is fine) Do not retake the MCAT until your practice scores are over 500.

An average applicant for osteopathic schools have stats around a 3.3-3.4 GPA and a 500+ MCAT. Currently, I think you will be donating to any MD/DO school if you apply this cycle - unless there is something stellar that was not mentioned above, you are looking at a couple years of GPA/application repair to provide yourself the best chances.

Here's some things to consider:
  1. What is the breakdown of your GPA by semester? What is your science GPA? Do you have an upward trend? - Most schools will pre-screen your application at the 3.0 mark.
  2. Retake the MCAT and score above a 500 to be competitive for some schools, and a 508 to be competitive for all schools (DO). Only sit for the exam when you are consistently scoring your target on practice exams.
  3. You could improve shadowing by shadowing a PCP for 40-50 hours. But other than that, your time is better spent elsewhere.
  4. I don't believe an MS in Clinical Psychology will help your application very much. Look into SMPs as they are generally considered the backdoor into medical school.
  5. Being a re-applicant is a negative mark on your application, only apply when you have a decent chance of admission.

Thank you for the advice! I'll take a look at everything again.

You need a cGPA and sGPA of at least 3.0 along with a MCAT of 500 or higher to have any chance for DO interviews. You can increase your GPA by taking science courses at a local college (community college is fine) Do not retake the MCAT until your practice scores are over 500.

Yes, I'm currently taking science courses at a community college right now. The admissions dean at WSU told me to try going for a masters degree in the sciences, but I think that taking classes at a community college will be the cheaper route.

I’m usually one to encourage lower stat peeps to apply, but damn....

I’d recommend that you take a year to study for the MCAT, and then apply for an SMP. You could do both (I.e take the MCAT during the SMP). But from what I’ve seen, the majority of applicants who take this route, usually fail in 1 or 2 courses...or absolutely bomb the MCAT. It’s hard to study for graduate level/medical school classes and study to ace the MCAT. Contrary to belief, the two do not go hand in hand

I’m usually one to encourage lower stat peeps to apply, but damn....

I’d recommend that you take a year to study for the MCAT, and then apply for an SMP. You could do both (I.e take the MCAT during the SMP). But from what I’ve seen, the majority of applicants who take this route, usually fail in 1 or 2 courses...or absolutely bomb the MCAT. It’s hard to study for graduate level/medical school classes and study to ace the MCAT. Contrary to belief, the two do not go hand in hand

Just gonna day that I agree with you. Wanderer 7. You should do a post-bad and then SMP. I did an SMP got 8 interviews and 3 acceptances and wound up at my top choice so I can say they work. I also have many friends from said SMP who had low stats like yours and have gotten into great schools. You MUST get that MCAT up to stand a chance though.

Just gonna day that I agree with you. Wanderer 7. You should do a post-bad and then SMP. I did an SMP got 8 interviews and 3 acceptances and wound up at my top choice so I can say they work. I also have many friends from said SMP who had low stats like yours and have gotten into great schools. You MUST get that MCAT up to stand a chance though.

Aren't post-bacc programs similar to SMPs? Yes, I'm going to work on MCAT score. Online programs haven't been working for me.

Aren't post-bacc programs similar to SMPs? Yes, I'm going to work on MCAT score. Online programs haven't been working for me.

No not at all. A post-bac is undergrad level work. An SMP is a graduate level, MASTER’s degree, which some of them have you taking the EXACT SAME courses as the M1s. They are high risk/ high reward though

No not at all. A post-bac is undergrad level work. An SMP is a graduate level, MASTER’s degree, which some of them have you taking the EXACT SAME courses as the M1s. They are high risk/ high reward though

To further expound on this, the "high-risk high-reward" refers to the fact that some SMPs cost $40-50,000 for a "useless" Master's Degree. Therefore if you perform badly, you'll not only be short a pretty penny, but also indicate that you are not capable of performing successfully at the medical school level.

Personally, I did an SMP as well and also came to good fortune in that I received 12 interviews, attended 8, and received an acceptance at 6 of them. I did apply beforehand and only received 3 interviews with zero acceptances - the difference between the first and second application cycle was the SMP, volunteering, and shadowing.

It's also important to note that SMPs will be factored into your graduate GPA and has no bearing on your undergraduate academic performance. That said, because many schools pre-screen applications at the 3.0 GPA/500 MCAT mark, you would be best of taking post-bacc (undergraduate level) courses to raise your GPA and then prepare and destroy the MCAT. Keep in mind that your score expires after three years for most schools, so take it several months to a year before you apply.

Best of luck!