Behind the laughter: how should I prioritize my residency rank list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM2013woot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies in advance as this is a bit long…

I'm almost done with residency interviews and I'm starting to map out a preliminary rank list. I'm having a bit of trouble since I have no idea if I want a community or academic gig when I graduate, and geographic preference is pretty moot since my SO's work may require us to move to any number of geographic areas when I finish residency. I wonder if I could get some opinions from the residents and attendings out there…

There are about 7 programs that I really feel are a good "fit" for my personality (ie I liked the residents/attendings, location, etc), and I'd feel extremely fortunate to end up at any of them. The thing is, some of these programs are really different from each other, and I'm having a hard time deciding what program attributes to prioritize. Take for example the two programs at the most opposite ends of the spectrum on my short list:

Program A: is at a place where residents "see it all and do it all." The patient population at this program has a really high acuity level and they're proud of the fact that there are few procedures and clinical scenarios their residents haven't done or encountered by the time they graduate since there are no ENT/ortho/optho (etc) residents to compete with. They're the strongest residents in the hospital and time in the ED is maximized. The training seems fantastic, though it doesn't seem like residents end up with the most diverse jobs. Most end up in one of three main markets, and those that go into academics tend to stay at the program…I'm not sure if this is due to graduate preference or other factors, but they insist that they can get jobs in any market they want. Not too much research comes out of here and the program isn't well-known outside the world of EM. They say their grads truly finish being able to "handle anything" when they walk out, and while lots of programs have said this, I believe these guys the most.

Program B: is located at a massive, well-known hospital with residents/fellows present in every subspecialty under the sun. The program tries to keep competing services out of the ED for procedures, and the residents say they get enough and are "very comfortable" with procedures, though ortho can be tough to fend off at times and some residents do an ortho rotation as an elective to make up for this. The flip side is that these residents get a chance to "function as an attending" in the 2nd half of residency so they take presentations from lower-year residents which reportedly gives them a ton of "pattern recognition" since they can see so many more patients this way. All the residencies at this hospital are strong, and EM seems to hold its own though is not the strongest dept (politically). There are more off-service rotations here than program A but the residents here say the teaching on them is fantastic and the ones that are sub-par get dropped. This program also seems to give it's residents more administrative training and there's also research to get involved with (and fellowships) in virtually every area of EM. They say the "name" of the program opens doors in academics or whatever part of the country their graduates want to find a job in, and the track record of their alumni seems to attest to this.

Residents at both programs are extremely happy to be there and the program leadership at both is terrific and friendly.

My first priority is to walk out of residency being extremely clinically and procedurally savy, but I want (need) to keep as many doors open to me in the future (ie going into academics or getting a community job in any part of the country since my SO's field may require a few moves)…so that being said, between these two places, which would you choose and why? Is EM still "young enough" that a motivated new graduate can get a decent job in any market/academics regardless of the residency they come from? Is getting to do tons upon tons of procedures during residency blown a bit out of proportion? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
TL : DNR

Naah, just kidding. I'm at work just now, but I read what you wrote, and it is important. I had similar considerations when I played the game. I'll write a proper response in a bit.

Good luck, amigo.

If all else seems to be equal go to the place you think will get you the job that you want/will want. Being in the job interview cycle it is nice coming from a place where no one questions your residency and everywhere you apply you get an offer. It means one thing to go to a program where you know you are well trained. It means a lot when everywhere you apply they know you are well trained.

Members don't see this ad :)
i trained at a place similar to program A - may even be it!

it was NOT easy but i got great clinical training. to this day i do a few procedures and have a few tricks up my sleeve that are a tad unconventional compared to some of my colleagues.

i was NOT, however, prepared well for p-g, hospital politics, metrics, etc. those things aren't hard to pick up.

i'm over 3.5 yrs out and have had 2 jobs... name recognition of my residency was definitely a factor in the job hunt. hard to say what it would be like coming from a lesser known place, if it matters that much.

when you're a few years out, you want a clean job history/license/etc. THAT'S where you can really have a hard time being employed... if you can't clear credentialing etc.

You probably won't go into academics. Most people don't.
If for some reason you really think you want to do this, you might give preference to the more academic type places.

Other than that, rank based on geography. Both in terms of where you would like to live now and where you would like to live later.

There are pros and cons to the "we do everything ourselves" kind of programs.
You might get a few more procedures, but you also might never get a chance to talk to experts in the individual problems.

A nice mix is a program where you rotate at different types of hospitals.
Some time a the tertiary care center. Some time at small places where you do it all and have to learn how to transfer patients.

You don't really get to choose your program anyway.
Pretty good chance you won't end up at your number 1.
Just go with your get, make a list and don't look back.

If you have a spouse/SO, let them choose the geography and rank from there.

:luck:

You probably won't go into academics. Most people don't.
If for some reason you really think you want to do this, you might give preference to the more academic type places.

Other than that, rank based on geography. Both in terms of where you would like to live now and where you would like to live later.

There are pros and cons to the "we do everything ourselves" kind of programs.
You might get a few more procedures, but you also might never get a chance to talk to experts in the individual problems.

A nice mix is a program where you rotate at different types of hospitals.
Some time a the tertiary care center. Some time at small places where you do it all and have to learn how to transfer patients.

You don't really get to choose your program anyway.
Pretty good chance you won't end up at your number 1.
Just go with your get, make a list and don't look back.

If you have a spouse/SO, let them choose the geography and rank from there.

:luck:

Why won't the OP get their first choice?

If it makes you feel better, I am having pretty much the same problem. I guess everyone was right when they said that there are TONS of great programs! Compared to my friends in other fields, it seems much harder to rank EM programs...then again it could just be me. Thanks for the advice all.

If it makes you feel better, I am having pretty much the same problem. I guess everyone was right when they said that there are TONS of great programs! Compared to my friends in other fields, it seems much harder to rank EM programs...then again it could just be me. Thanks for the advice all.

Not just you. My programs are simply grouped into 1) programs I loved 2) programs I loved only slightly less and 3) programs I love that are in a location my wife and I would prefer not to go.

I feel a bit like a negative nancy here, but I definitely didn't love every program. For me it's more like- programs I kinda liked in a location I didn't like, programs I didn't really like in a location I kinda like, programs I can live with in a location I wasn't sure about...I just don't know. At base I think I can deal with whatever, which is good, but I haven't fallen madly in love with anything. Everything definitely has some pros and cons.
Part of it is that I'm still questioning what the OP is questioning- how badly do I want a super academic place vs a very community-ish environment vs a more county feel? How much do I care about trauma experience, peds experience, tox experience, ultrasound experience, etc? I definitely want to be in a hospital where the ED isn't by far the strongest department- I don't want us to be the weakest either, obviously, but I want to have good consultant support and really smart people to learn from off-service- but does that mean fewer procedures when I'm not in the department/ less respect by consults? Etc etc...I don't know. I guess I'll sit down with my advisor at some point and talk rank list.

I feel a bit like a negative nancy here, but I definitely didn't love every program. For me it's more like- programs I kinda liked in a location I didn't like, programs I didn't really like in a location I kinda like, programs I can live with in a location I wasn't sure about...I just don't know. At base I think I can deal with whatever, which is good, but I haven't fallen madly in love with anything. Everything definitely has some pros and cons.
Part of it is that I'm still questioning what the OP is questioning- how badly do I want a super academic place vs a very community-ish environment vs a more county feel? How much do I care about trauma experience, peds experience, tox experience, ultrasound experience, etc? I definitely want to be in a hospital where the ED isn't by far the strongest department- I don't want us to be the weakest either, obviously, but I want to have good consultant support and really smart people to learn from off-service- but does that mean fewer procedures when I'm not in the department/ less respect by consults? Etc etc...I don't know. I guess I'll sit down with my advisor at some point and talk rank list.

Im kinda in a similar boat here too, but my problem is that: 1) there are 1 or 2 that I loved in locations that either me or my SO don't really like; 2) a few Programs that were ok in places that were good or ok atleast; and 3) 1 or 2 I just may not even rank cause I didn't like either.

I think at the end of the day, you just have to weigh the positives and negatives and make a list on gut feeling I guess. I could certainly be happy at my top 5-7 or so, so I guess I will decide how to rank those within the next couple months!

Heh thanks I was also wondering why he/she wrote that. Maybe that person had some bad luck in their match?

Nice to hear I'm not the only one thinking about these aspects of programs...there are dozens of us, dozens!

Heh thanks I was also wondering why he/she wrote that. Maybe that person had some bad luck in their match?

I assume he just meant that it's common for applicants to not match at their first choice. The 2012 data shows 54.1% of US applicants matched at their first choice, and just under 80% matched at one of their top 3. I'm not sure if it's possible to find specific statistics for EM.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2012.pdf

I trained at a program like program A, actually if I had to describe my experience it has been program A except I did a lot of research.

For what it is worth, I got offered positions at almost all academic spots for a CCM fellowship, and probably have talked to several "big universities" about positions in their ICUs when I'm done through connections from my programs interaction with other ICU's multi-centered trials.

Pick a place you'll be happy, and want to go to work everyday and drink with your colleagues. If you have that at A and B pick one in the better location. If they both are in the same place you're in a good spot and flip a coin, but I doubt this is true.

More likely than not someone who posts this on SDN wants to choose program A, but feel they should choose program B because it is beat into our brains through years of competition that big name universities mean something to people in the non-medical field, and somehow it will affect what you do in the long run. Don't worry it won't.