Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got A's in Virology and Human Physiology. Virology was tough. I'm going to retake some of the pre-requisites this coming spring until next fall in preparation for a spring 19 Mcat.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I re-took Biochem this past semester while working full-time. The first time I took it was during undergrad and ended up with a C. After finishing, it's looking like I'll end up with a B+ with a final grade, unless grades are adjusted. I was 6 points beneath an A- based upon calculating it from total number of points in the course. :sour:

Reactions: 1 user
I re-took Biochem this past semester while working full-time. The first time I took it was during undergrad and ended up with a C. After finishing, it's looking like I'll end up with a B+ with a final grade, unless grades are adjusted. I was 6 points beneath an A- based upon calculating it from total number of points in the course. :sour:

That's frustrating. I ended up with Bs this semester too, thanks to overloading and working full time like a foooool.

But! To put a positive spin on things, after this semester, I am sitting at 2.49c/2.5s. Last year I had a 2.2c/1.5s. I started off this section of my journey with a 1.0c/0.85s. It's so slow, but I like watching the numbers creep up.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's frustrating. I ended up with Bs this semester too, thanks to overloading and working full time like a foooool.

But! To put a positive spin on things, after this semester, I am sitting at 2.49c/2.5s. Last year I had a 2.2c/1.5s. I started off this section of my journey with a 1.0c/0.85s. It's so slow, but I like watching the numbers creep up.

Definitely is frustrating. I'll have to wait until the end of the week to know for sure but a B+ is what I'm guessing I'll end up with. At least it's better than my first time taking it. All I can do is keep going forward and work harder next semester to make sure that I end up with A's in my classes then.

Good for you otherwise!! It sure is motivating to see progress isn't it? :)

I like reading updates on people's redemption journeys. I don't feel totally alone when I read other people's triumphs. Sometimes I feel like this GPA repair process is taking way too long...but I want to get into a good school. Might have to push my app to the 2020-2021 cycle.

If you can raise your cumulative GPA to a 3.0 then that will be good enough. Calculate how many credit hours you need to take to get a 3.0 cGPA (you can take some non-science classes to raise it up). Continue the good work on your pre-requisites. Respect the MCAT and take it when you are hitting your target score.

Sorry to thread-jack...curious what you mean by a cumulative gpa being good enough at 3.0? Is that what gets you screened out and not the science gpa?

Hi all,

I found this thread and I realize that it's really old, but I see that some of you are still giving some great advice (I'm new to this site so bare with me...). I'd really just like an honest opinion on how my application looks to someone who isn't me. I know I'm going to be an underdog in this application process (planning to apply this June) and I'm completely ready for that. I'm finishing up my prereqs this coming Spring semester at a local community college (Organic chem 2 and physics 2), and I'll be taking the MCAT in April.

A little bit about me: I graduated from a small, private college (not sure if private is significant or not?) in 2016. After graduating, I still had no idea what I wanted to do and happened to fall into an ED Scribe position. Being a scribe helped me find my passion for medicine and I've been pursing medical school ever since. I scribed with a DO for about 9 months before I got a new job with a CRO in the pharmacovigilance dept. I've been working there for about a year now, so I've gotten a lot of experience in the clinical research field. While working full-time, I've also continued taking classes at local community colleges to satisfy prereqs/retake classes that I didn't do so well in during undergrad. I also volunteer as an EMT and a Clinic Nurse at the local Free Clinic after work on the days that I don't have class. I've put a lot of work in over the past two years, so I'm basically just wondering if all of this hard work with a not-so-stellar GPA is going to impress an adcom or not?

Current cGPA: 2.61 (upward trend--3.23 in last 40 semester hours)
Current sGPA: 2.68
MCAT: taking it early April - hoping for at least a 505+
Extracurricular: EMT, Clinic Nurse, Clinical Research, ED Scribe (9 months)

What do you guys think? Do I have a shot at some DO schools/low-tier MD schools? Obviously I'm not getting into Columbia with these stats, and I recognize that. I'm just trying to get an honest feel for what everyone else thinks.

Sorry to thread-jack...curious what you mean by a cumulative gpa being good enough at 3.0? Is that what gets you screened out and not the science gpa?
Read sassypenguin's post. He is on track to having a 4.0 in the prerequisites if he continues maintaining As. Adcoms place more weight on science GPA (it is still important for one's cumulative GPA to be either at or above 3.0).

Hi all,

I found this thread and I realize that it's really old, but I see that some of you are still giving some great advice (I'm new to this site so bare with me...). I'd really just like an honest opinion on how my application looks to someone who isn't me. I know I'm going to be an underdog in this application process (planning to apply this June) and I'm completely ready for that. I'm finishing up my prereqs this coming Spring semester at a local community college (Organic chem 2 and physics 2), and I'll be taking the MCAT in April.

A little bit about me: I graduated from a small, private college (not sure if private is significant or not?) in 2016. After graduating, I still had no idea what I wanted to do and happened to fall into an ED Scribe position. Being a scribe helped me find my passion for medicine and I've been pursing medical school ever since. I scribed with a DO for about 9 months before I got a new job with a CRO in the pharmacovigilance dept. I've been working there for about a year now, so I've gotten a lot of experience in the clinical research field. While working full-time, I've also continued taking classes at local community colleges to satisfy prereqs/retake classes that I didn't do so well in during undergrad. I also volunteer as an EMT and a Clinic Nurse at the local Free Clinic after work on the days that I don't have class. I've put a lot of work in over the past two years, so I'm basically just wondering if all of this hard work with a not-so-stellar GPA is going to impress an adcom or not?

Current cGPA: 2.61 (upward trend--3.23 in last 40 semester hours)
Current sGPA: 2.68
MCAT: taking it early April - hoping for at least a 505+
Extracurricular: EMT, Clinic Nurse, Clinical Research, ED Scribe (9 months)

What do you guys think? Do I have a shot at some DO schools/low-tier MD schools? Obviously I'm not getting into Columbia with these stats, and I recognize that. I'm just trying to get an honest feel for what everyone else thinks.
You have a 3.23 GPA in the 40 credit hrs you took in your post-bac?

Your GPAs are way too low and you are no where near ready to apply because you don't meet the cutoffs for pretty much every Medical school. You have a lot of transcript repair to do. You need to at least raise both GPAs to a 3.0 by getting A's and a lot of it (No B's just A's).

Read sassypenguin's post. He is on track to having a 4.0 in the prerequisites if he continues maintaining As. Adcoms place more weight on science GPA (it is still important for one's cumulative GPA to be either at or above 3.0).

Gotcha...After I finish my DIY post-bac this summer, my science GPA will be 2.96...is that close enough or am I screwed?

Gotcha...After I finish my DIY post-bac this summer, my science GPA will be 2.96...is that close enough or am I screwed?
It's close but I would take an upper level science class that you know you can get an A in to push your sGPA over a 3.0. have you taken the Mcat yet?

I just read your reply to the post
It's close but I would take an upper level science class that you know you can get an A in to push your sGPA over a 3.0. have you taken the Mcat yet?

That's good advice, thank you...I have not taken the MCAT yet. I was going to try for an end-of-May MCAT date at the latest to apply next cycle but to get my sciGPA up I need straight A's for my next 12 credits. I may have to push my plans to apply back an entire year. I know I can get an A in Physiology but that would mean pushing my Physics II class back an entire year to Spring 2019. Can you take the MCAT without Physics II?

I just read your reply to the post

That's good advice, thank you...I have not taken the MCAT yet. I was going to try for an end-of-May MCAT date at the latest to apply next cycle but to get my sciGPA up I need straight A's for my next 12 credits. I may have to push my plans to apply back an entire year. I know I can get an A in Physiology but that would mean pushing my Physics II class back an entire year to Spring 2019. Can you take the MCAT without Physics II?
Yes, you can take the Mcat without Physics II if you can teach yourself everything you need to know for it. Like I said choose classes you know for a fact that you can get As in since you are close to the 3.0 mark (ratemyprofessor). What does your upward trend look like? How many credits?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can take the Mcat without Physics II if you can teach yourself everything you need to know for it. Like I said choose classes you know for a fact that you can get As in since you are close to the 3.0 mark (ratemyprofessor). What does your upward trend look like? How many credits?

Steep rising trend over 44 hours, 3.56 gpa in post-bacc (right around what Goro recommends and I'm only applying DO and my state MD school).

Steep rising trend over 44 hours, 3.56 gpa in post-bacc (right around what Goro recommends and I'm only applying DO and my state MD school).
Ok, that is a solid post-bac performance then. Set a high but realistic target score for the Mcat and take the test when you are ready.

You have a 3.23 GPA in the 40 credit hrs you took in your post-bac?

No, I never did a post-bacc program. I've looked into post-bacc programs and SMPs, but they are so expensive and I couldn't decide whether they were actually worth the extra ~$20K in debt and quitting my full-time job.. In the last 40 semester hours of my UG transcript, I have a 3.23 which is a lot better than the the previous two semesters on my UG transcript.

I know a lot of schools nowadays have transferred to the new holistic review style, so I wasn't sure if the not-so-stellar uGPA was really going to hold me down that much if I had all of this clinical experience and blew the MCAT out of the water. You really think I don't have a chance at all?

No, I never did a post-bacc program. I've looked into post-bacc programs and SMPs, but they are so expensive and I couldn't decide whether they were actually worth the extra ~$20K in debt and quitting my full-time job.. In the last 40 semester hours of my UG transcript, I have a 3.23 which is a lot better than the the previous two semesters on my UG transcript.

I know a lot of schools nowadays have transferred to the new holistic review style, so I wasn't sure if the not-so-stellar uGPA was really going to hold me down that much if I had all of this clinical experience and blew the MCAT out of the water. You really think I don't have a chance at all?

A 3.23 GPA in 40 credit hours in a do it yourself post-bac does not help your case in proving you can handle medical school. That GPA is too low (you are supposed to knock it out of the park as in a +3.5 GPA). A DIY post-bac is where you take new/challenging upper-level sciences after a bachelor degree in order to improve your GPA (I was not talking about formal post-bac programs which are a different thing).
You are really uninformed. Your undergrad GPAs are below the minimum cutoff thresholds for all medical schools. So your app is going to be automatically rejected by the screening software that all schools use. I don't think you really understand the predicament you are in. "Blew the MCAT out of the water" that kind of magical thinking is not going to get you very far. Looking at your post-bac performance, you don't show a strong grasp of the pre-requisite sciences to succeed on the MCAT.

Hi everyone!
First of all, finding this thread was such a relief. It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one stressing about a low gpa.
Here's a little bit about myself:
I'm currently a junior at an accredited university
Cgpa: 2.318 (68 units)
Sgpa: 1.734 (40 units)
Extracurriculars: Wish granter for Make-A-Wish, member of Love your melon, VP of external affairs (student govt)
Clinical/Shadow experience: volunteered at a hospital's community health outreach in India over the summer, planning to shadow a doctor in Singapore
Reasearch: One summer with my molecular bio professor
A little background info, my gpa suffered a lot because I was dealing with some intense family issues freshman and sophomore year. I got my gpa a little higher from this past semester, but I've also noticed I'm lacking motivation. Since my gpa is so low I have very little hope for med school but my mind keeps wandering back to it so I've decided to try my best.
Also, I'm planning on taking the mcat January of senior year.
Is there anything I can do to help my chances? I know it's a long shot but I'd appreciate any advice!

Hi everyone!
First of all, finding this thread was such a relief. It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one stressing about a low gpa.
Here's a little bit about myself:
I'm currently a junior at an accredited university
Cgpa: 2.318 (68 units)
Sgpa: 1.734 (40 units)
Extracurriculars: Wish granter for Make-A-Wish, member of Love your melon, VP of external affairs (student govt)
Clinical/Shadow experience: volunteered at a hospital's community health outreach in India over the summer, planning to shadow a doctor in Singapore
Reasearch: One summer with my molecular bio professor
A little background info, my gpa suffered a lot because I was dealing with some intense family issues freshman and sophomore year. I got my gpa a little higher from this past semester, but I've also noticed I'm lacking motivation. Since my gpa is so low I have very little hope for med school but my mind keeps wandering back to it so I've decided to try my best.
Also, I'm planning on taking the mcat January of senior year.
Is there anything I can do to help my chances? I know it's a long shot but I'd appreciate any advice!

Hello there,

Your cGPA and sGPA are currently very low for medical schools. You need a minimum 3.0 cGPA and sGPA to pass screening. From here on out, you will need to aim for as many A's as possible for your last 1.5-2 years of college. You may want to consider doing a post bacc and taking additional science courses after graduation with the goal of getting A's going forward. You will need to raise your GPA as much as possible before applying. Showing medical schools an upward trends will do wonders. Also, I highly recommend waiting to take your MCAT after finishing all of your pre-requsite courses. This will prepare you the best way possible for doing well.

Other extracurriculars that are good to have include clinical volunteering. This involves anything that allows you exposure to patients. One opportunity that I like to recommend to others is to consider becoming a hospice volunteer. Otherwise shadowing is always great for seeing what different specialties are like.

Best of luck to you!

Historically underdog intern resident here. Just a reminder that it can be done. Became a premed after gaining 80 credit hours of 2.79/2.63 (cGPA/sGPA). Introspection, hard work, sacrifice, adaptability, and bull-headed drive.

I could quote Yoda or Shia, but the point remains. You got work to do, you can do it, so make yourself proud. Good luck all!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone! Just checking in with you all. Have you figured what you are taking for this upcoming spring semester? Because I will be traveling a bit during it, I've decided to enroll in two online courses through my local university. One class I'm taking is a Pharmacotherapy class. The other is Abnormal Psychology. I'm looking forward to taking them as I'm thinking they'll be interesting. :)

Hey guys,
MS1 at a top 25 med school. There seems to be a lot of stuff around the internet about 3.0 auto-screen cutoffs. When I applied for EC17 (last year), I was SUPER nervous about that. My stats are/were:

uGPA: 2.71
post bac GPA (all the pre-reqs - 55 credits): 3.60
cGPA: 2.95
sGPA: 3.21 (math major, so the old grades all counted)
MCAT: 511 (127/130/127/127)

I applied to 29 allopathic schools and was rejected pre-secondary at one school. I ended up with 6 interview invites (I went on 5) and 5 acceptances. I was shocked.

My point is that it's not required to be above a 3.0 to avoid the autoscreens; I thought that was probably going to be the case, but I was wrong. I am proof that you can get multiple M.D. acceptances with a sub-3.0 cumulative GPA. There was a lot of time between my original undergrad and my post-bac (10+ years), and I think I gave the admission committees reason to believe that I am different student now vs.back then, but the auto-screen thing is kinda a myth. At least it is at the schools I applied to.

Keep trucking, and KILL the MCAT.

Froggy

Reactions: 11 users
Hey guys,
MS1 at a top 25 med school. There seems to be a lot of stuff around the internet about 3.0 auto-screen cutoffs. When I applied for EC17 (last year), I was SUPER nervous about that. My stats are/were:

uGPA: 2.71
post bac GPA (all the pre-reqs - 55 credits): 3.60
cGPA: 2.95
sGPA: 3.21 (math major, so the old grades all counted)
MCAT: 511 (127/130/127/127)

I applied to 29 allopathic schools and was rejected pre-secondary at one school. I ended up with 6 interview invites (I went on 5) and 5 acceptances. I was shocked.

My point is that it's not required to be above a 3.0 to avoid the autoscreens; I thought that was probably going to be the case, but I was wrong. I am proof that you can get multiple M.D. acceptances with a sub-3.0 cumulative GPA. There was a lot of time between my original undergrad and my post-bac (10+ years), and I think I gave the admission committees reason to believe that I am different student now vs.back then, but the auto-screen thing is kinda a myth. At least it is at the schools I applied to.

Keep trucking, and KILL the MCAT.

Froggy
Awesome! My stats are similar to yours and I also graduated 10+ years ago. Doing masters (rocking it) with other DIY classes for GPA repair. Would you mind PM'ing me your school list?

Awesome! My stats are similar to yours and I also graduated 10+ years ago. Doing masters (rocking it) with other DIY classes for GPA repair. Would you mind PM'ing me your school list?

Sure, though I don't necessarily think that it's specific to the schools I applied to.

I should probably expand on this thought a bit, and explain it the way that it was explained to me by someone closer to the process: of course, applications are screened and filtered when they come in since there are so many of them. Usually, they get placed into "silos" based in various metrics (GPA, MCAT, mission fit, etc) and get reviewed with varying degrees of priority from there. There is also a pile of applications that don't necessarily fit neatly into one silo, and those usually get read by a more senior admission officer. More broadly, most schools have some kind of internal mechanism by which applications that end up in a low metric silo get reviewed before the final chop in order to ensure that something compeling wasn't overlooked (trend, circumstances, etc).

That's how it was explained to me, and my experience seemed to play that out.

Sure, though I don't necessarily think that it's specific to the schools I applied to.

I should probably expand on this thought a bit, and explain it the way that it was explained to me by someone closer to the process: of course, applications are screened and filtered when they come in since there are so many of them. Usually, they get placed into "silos" based in various metrics (GPA, MCAT, mission fit, etc) and get reviewed with varying degrees of priority from there. There is also a pile of applications that don't necessarily fit neatly into one silo, and those usually get read by a more senior admission officer. More broadly, most schools have some kind of internal mechanism by which applications that end up in a low metric silo get reviewed before the final chop in order to ensure that something compeling wasn't overlooked (trend, circumstances, etc).

That's how it was explained to me, and my experience seemed to play that out.
Thank you very much for sharing. Stories like yours give me hope. My undergrad cGPA is currently at 2.979 with a sGPA of 2.781 and am stressed that even with a good MCAT I'll be ignored. Would you mind going to PM so I can pick your brain a bit? I understand if you are too busy. :)

Just found this thread!

Graduated undergrad with a 3.1 uGPA and 2.8 sGPA (per AMCAS)

Didn't realize how deep of a whole I was digging myself into throughout undergrad until the time came for number crunching and I was shocked and hurt to see the damage that had been done.

BUT GOOD NEWS!!

I'm currently in a DIYPB
post bacc GPA --> 3.947 (13 credits)

Only taking 2 classes this semester due to also studying for the MCAT.

If I get As in those 2 classes I'll have an overall
cGPA -> 3.23
sGPA -> 3.10 (AACOMAS) / 3.02 (AMCAS)

Would it be wise for me to apply this upcoming cycle assuming my MCAT is up to par?

FINALLY a thread I can relate too! My current cGPA is 3.1 with a sGPA of 2.6. MCAT of 518. I am currently retaking Orgo 1 while taking anatomy and genetics with plans to take Orgo 2 (have not taken it yet). I am working nearly full time (full time is 40 hours I work 38 ughhhh) but I will be quitting come mid April and working freelance. I am planning to apply this summer for medical school if my classes go well. I know its a long shot but heres to hoping.

Thanks for all of your wonderful stories that give me immense hope as I had been relying on Grade replacement and obviously can not anymore.

Hello Everyone,

I just discovered this thread and am in a similar sinking boat myself.

I'm 24 years old and graduated from Loyola University Chicago with a BS in Biology in 2016. I finished with a horrendous GPA of 2.4 and 134 credit hours. (I'd failed and retook a few classes, but was mostly a C student). I did have personal circumstances due to which I didn't have the time or ability to dedicate 100% to school. I should've dropped my classes but that's another regret on growing list. I promise I'm smart, I was a good student in HS, had a good ACT score and had a scholarship to Loyola (which I later lost).

I took a year off after graduation and worked at Rush University Medical Center as an admin assistant in the Neurocritical Care department.

I've returned to school in fall 2017 and started taking upper level science courses and retook classes to get As and Bs in them and show upward grade trends. I'm still doing that now.

I have not taken the MCAT or GRE yet.

At this point, I'm trying to look for any post-bacc, Masters, or MD programs that may eventually be possible for me.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?

Hello Everyone,

I'm 24 years old and graduated from Loyola University Chicago with a BS in Biology in 2016. I finished with a horrendous GPA of 2.4 and 134 credit hours. (I'd failed and retook a few classes, but was mostly a C student). I did have personal circumstances due to which I didn't have the time or ability to dedicate 100% to school. I should've dropped my classes but that's another regret on growing list. I promise I'm smart, I was a good student in HS, had a good ACT score and had a scholarship to Loyola (which I later lost).

I took a year off after graduation and worked at Rush University Medical Center as an admin assistant in the Neurocritical Care department.

I've returned to school in fall 2017 and started taking upper level science courses and retook classes to get As and Bs in them and show upward grade trends. I'm still doing that now.

At this point, I'm trying to look for any post-bacc, Masters, or MD programs that may eventually be possible for me.

Hey Keechu,

You can get into Medical school, but you will need to do a lengthy post-bac (transcript repair). If I was in your position, I would take a full load of upper-level biology classes for a duration of 2 years to raise your GPA to at least a 2.75 (pulling your GPA to a 3.0 would take too long, but you will still need an upward trend of grades at the undergraduate level). You will need to dedicate a couple of months for the MCAT with little to no distractions. Get a solid MCAT score 510+ and apply broadly to SMPs (some SMPs have GPA cut offs so pay attention to them when you apply). Apply to medical schools only after you have completed the SMP (you will need a completed SMP with excellent grades on your resume before applying to medical school. I purposely repeated myself here to emphasize this last point).

Hey Keechu,

You can get into Medical school, but you will need to do a lengthy post-bac (transcript repair). If I was in your position, I would take a full load of upper-level biology classes for a duration of 2 years to raise your GPA to at least a 2.75 (pulling your GPA to a 3.0 would take too long, but you will still need an upward trend of grades at the undergraduate level). You will need to dedicate a couple of months for the MCAT with little to no distractions. Get a solid MCAT score 510+ and apply broadly to SMPs (some SMPs have GPA cut offs so pay attention to them when you apply). Apply to medical schools only after you have completed the SMP (you will need a completed SMP with excellent grades on your resume before applying to medical school. I purposely repeated myself here to emphasize this last point).

Thank you for your advice. I will certainly continue to work on my GPA. Are there any SMPs that would be good options for a student like me? (preferably one's that review holistically or don't require high GPA)?

Thank you for your advice. I will certainly continue to work on my GPA. Are there any SMPs that would be good options for a student like me? (preferably one's that review holistically or don't require high GPA)?
There is no SMP that I know of that admits at a 2.4 that is far too low. 2.75 is not even high. You need to raise your GPA through more undergrad. There is no getting around that. Some of the advice given on these forums can be very blunt at times. But don't let their words deter you.

Hello Everyone,

Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention @Goro

There is no SMP that I know of that admits at a 2.4 that is far too low. 2.75 is not even high. You need to raise your GPA through more undergrad. There is no getting around that. Some of the advice given on these forums can be very blunt at times. But don't let their words deter you.

Thank you, I will continue to work on my DIY postbacc with more science courses.

Yes raise your GPA to as high as you possibly can with your retakes/new classes and then SMP route. I basically made a giant list of SMPs and sifted through their admissions sites to get as much info as I could on their admissions process. Some will concretely say there is a 3.0 minimum no exceptions, some say minimum but don't exactly mention it as a hard cutoff, and then others say there is a minimum but they review applications holistically. I then went and contacted each program briefly detailing my situation and asking whether my application would be considered if I were to apply, or if the minimum GPA was really a strict cutoff, stuff along those lines. So focus on that GPA for now, get that list of SMPs, contact them and narrow it down. Apply broadly, and keep your head up!

Yes raise your GPA to as high as you possibly can with your retakes/new classes and then SMP route. I basically made a giant list of SMPs and sifted through their admissions sites to get as much info as I could on their admissions process. Some will concretely say there is a 3.0 minimum no exceptions, some say minimum but don't exactly mention it as a hard cutoff, and then others say there is a minimum but they review applications holistically. I then went and contacted each program briefly detailing my situation and asking whether my application would be considered if I were to apply, or if the minimum GPA was really a strict cutoff, stuff along those lines. So focus on that GPA for now, get that list of SMPs, contact them and narrow it down. Apply broadly, and keep your head up!

Thank you so much for that advice. I've emailed several SMPs and Postbaccs and almost all of of them require a minimum 3.0 GPA. Do you know any that are willing to review applications holistically? I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thank you so much for that advice. I've emailed several SMPs and Postbaccs and almost all of of them require a minimum 3.0 GPA. Do you know any that are willing to review applications holistically? I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Try Dominican University for post-bacc.

hey everyone
I am really glad there is a thread for this.
i graduated UCLA with a 2.2 sGPA and 2.4 cGPA. I really struggled to find a post bacc, but decided to take courses at UCLA extension. So far I have taken 15 courses, with a 3.8 GPA, however my science GPA has only gone up to a 2.6 (2.71 after this quarter assuming I dont get an A-) im pretty proud of myself for getting this far but the cost of the courses is becoming an issue and I really would like to have the opportunity to study for my MCAT. I have a group of friends also in the same boat who are aiming to get a 3.0 science gpa. I would need to take another 15 more courses with A's in all of them to get a 3.0 science. What is your advice on this? Should I keep going? or Should I stop at a 2.8-2.9. It's hard to gauge when to stop. I have a stellar post bacc within these past 2 years but my sGPA is still low so its discouraging to see that. Last thing I want is for my app to be filtered from schools during the application process. I really would like to apply next cycle, but I don't want to rush anything and screw up one of my classes or perform poorly on my MCAT.

Some additional info
I work at the university doing clinical research for the past 3 years. I have tons of volunteer experience since 2011 working with impoverished communities (nothing medical based) and recently gained admission into a medical enrichment program at UCLA which would definitely give me the shadowing experience I am lacking.

Last edited:
I just started a new thread. I probably should have just posted it here.

221 Credits
2.95023 cGPA
3.79578 cGPA on last 142 Credits
BSME with Minor in Math

Do you guys think I should plan on doing an SMP to matriculate? Both MD and DO are okay with me since I'm wanting to do EM. Thanks in advance!

I just started a new thread. I probably should have just posted it here.

221 Credits
2.95023 cGPA
3.79578 cGPA on last 142 Credits
BSME with Minor in Math

Do you guys think I should plan on doing an SMP to matriculate? Both MD and DO are okay with me since I'm wanting to do EM. Thanks in advance!
What is your science GPA? Have you taking all the prerequisites for medical school?

Hey folks! Thanks for getting back to me. I actually graduated from a BS program in mechanical engineering with a minor in math back in 2014. I got summa cum laude honors which was nice. I've been working as an engineer since then and for a year before graduation. I ended up doing all of the AMCAS calculations and if it's okay, I'll post a screenshot of the file:

upload_2018-3-27_17-54-45.png

If I do 60 hours of 4.0 BCPM work, the BCPM GPA will get into the 3.0 range.

I've done most of the prerequisites at this point but I feel like it would be a good idea to go back and retake everything. The only prereqs that I'm missing are Organic Chemistry 1/2 and Biochemistry.

If I do 60 hours of 4.0 BCPM work, the BCPM GPA will get into the 3.0 range.

I've done most of the prerequisites at this point but I feel like it would be a good idea to go back and retake everything. The only prereqs that I'm missing are Organic Chemistry 1/2 and Biochemistry.

Retaking your prerequisites and some upper-level biology classes is a good plan especially for preparing for the MCAT.

hey everyone
I am really glad there is a thread for this.
i graduated UCLA with a 2.2 sGPA and 2.4 cGPA. I really struggled to find a post bacc, but decided to take courses at UCLA extension. So far I have taken 15 courses, with a 3.8 GPA, however my science GPA has only gone up to a 2.6 (2.71 after this quarter assuming I dont get an A-) im pretty proud of myself for getting this far but the cost of the courses is becoming an issue and I really would like to have the opportunity to study for my MCAT. I have a group of friends also in the same boat who are aiming to get a 3.0 science gpa. I would need to take another 15 more courses with A's in all of them to get a 3.0 science. What is your advice on this? Should I keep going? or Should I stop at a 2.8-2.9. It's hard to gauge when to stop. I have a stellar post bacc within these past 2 years but my sGPA is still low so its discouraging to see that. Last thing I want is for my app to be filtered from schools during the application process. I really would like to apply next cycle, but I don't want to rush anything and screw up one of my classes or perform poorly on my MCAT.

Some additional info
I work at the university doing clinical research for the past 3 years. I have tons of volunteer experience since 2011 working with impoverished communities (nothing medical based) and recently gained admission into a medical enrichment program at UCLA which would definitely give me the shadowing experience I am lacking.

I would focus on getting your cGPA and AACOMAS GPA past 3.0. Though not impossible, it is exorbitantly expensive to get your sGPA past 3.0. Focus on getting A's on any remaining classes, your EC's, essays, MCAT, and apply smartly and broadly to DO and MD schools that reward reinvention.

I have to take fewer credits. I have low Bs in my chemistry classes right now, and the way my GPA works, I need As to bring it up (since I have so many credits). I made the mistake of taking 12 credits this semester while doing the active duty thing and a new position at that, and it was too much. The idea of pushing my graduation back another year or even two makes me want to barf, but going this fast is costing me my potential GPA. I simply don't have enough time to be good at everything right now.

:mad: Why can't I just be good at everything without effort?! Haha.

Well, I'm currently nowhere near applying for medical school currently, but here's where I'm at:

I have a 2.03GPA and a sGPA of 2.7. I've been through the financial and personal wringer these last two years, yet here I remain wanting to be a doctor more than anything. I'm working two jobs to put myself through college in order to retake the classes I performed poorly in.

So far, the process of preparing for this journey has been a journey in itself. I learned how important it is to find joy in the small things, especially when the going gets rough. If you can find things about yourself or your environment that can make you smile and bring you back, for even a second, it translates to a world of difference in the long run.

So, I am far from applying as well but I feel like as i'm finishing up my associates this is a good time to evaluate what needs to change.
As of right now I calculated my GPAs and it looks like I'm sitting at a 2.35 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. Not exactly excellent. I did very poorly in traditional classes due to a combination of laziness, immarturity and general lack of discipline. Since the Spring semester of 2017 I have maintained a 3.5+ GPA in all my classes but I am getting worried about my chances of bringing these above a 3.0 since i start at a uni this summer.

Anyway, I do have some pretty decent ECs: I served in the army for 7 years and was deployed to Afghanistan for a tour in 2014 as well as a humanitarian mission in Honduras in 2012. I am also a licensed paramedic with about 5 years EMS experience and I continue to work full time in an expanded role as a Community Paramedic where I manage patients on the long term by assisting people who have chronic illnesses and high readmission risks stay out of the hospital. Anyway, I hope that I can continue this upward trend and be successful in my efforts.

Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

Reactions: 2 users
So, I am far from applying as well but I feel like as i'm finishing up my associates this is a good time to evaluate what needs to change.
As of right now I calculated my GPAs and it looks like I'm sitting at a 2.35 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. Not exactly excellent. I did very poorly in traditional classes due to a combination of laziness, immarturity and general lack of discipline. Since the Spring semester of 2017 I have maintained a 3.5+ GPA in all my classes but I am getting worried about my chances of bringing these above a 3.0 since i start at a uni this summer.

Anyway, I do have some pretty decent ECs: I served in the army for 7 years and was deployed to Afghanistan for a tour in 2014 as well as a humanitarian mission in Honduras in 2012. I am also a licensed paramedic with about 5 years EMS experience and I continue to work full time in an expanded role as a Community Paramedic where I manage patients on the long term by assisting people who have chronic illnesses and high readmission risks stay out of the hospital. Anyway, I hope that I can continue this upward trend and be successful in my efforts.

Any information or advice would be much appreciated.
checkout goros reinvention post in the pre-do forum!