Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you looked at Mercer's SMP in Pre-clinical sciences? https://medicine.mercer.edu/admissions/preclinical/
They claim 43% matriculate into their MD program and 73% go onto other professional programs MD/DO/DMD, and also instate tuition is cheap compared to other SMPs. Entrance requirements are also not too bad.
Yes, I'm currently eyeing that program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I've waited a long time to post this. I remember seeing this thread 5 years ago before I ever even made the decision to go to medical school, wondering what it would be like to study medicine and work with patients, learning more about the human body instead of the occupation I had that mostly just revolved around earning a living. About 2.5 years ago shortly before turning 30, I decided to embark on the journey.

I started out slightly above a 3.00, with a non-science bachelors. Non-science GPA was below 3.00 and science GPA slightly above, but I only had taken a few science classes, none which were prereqs. Had a D and an F, a few C's, and lots of withdrawals.

Took all the prereqs and got A's in everything. Did mostly CC, some uni online, with all labs at the CC. I probably spent less than 10 grand on classes. Did clinical volunteering, scribing, research, and tutoring.

Took the MCAT much earlier than I wanted because all the spots at the end of the academic year were full, scoring marginally above the median. Luckily, this let me apply late one cycle early, yet late in the application cycle, so only to DO - for a chance on the waitlist at best. Got several interviews and only one waitlist.

Just now, I got accepted against all odds from the waitlist to my top choice of all the programs I applied, a year earlier than I thought possible. Thank you to all the posters in this thread who gave inspiration - I probably wouldn't be going to medical school now if I hadn't read your posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I've waited a long time to post this. I remember seeing this thread 5 years ago before I ever even made the decision to go to medical school, wondering what it would be like to study medicine and work with patients, learning more about the human body instead of the occupation I had that mostly just revolved around earning a living. About 2.5 years ago shortly before turning 30, I decided to embark on the journey.

I started out slightly above a 3.00, with a non-science bachelors. Non-science GPA was below 3.00 and science GPA slightly above, but I only had taken a few science classes, none which were prereqs. Had a D and an F, a few C's, and lots of withdrawals.

Took all the prereqs and got A's in everything. Did mostly CC, some uni online, with all labs at the CC. I probably spent less than 10 grand on classes. Did clinical volunteering, scribing, research, and tutoring.

Took the MCAT much earlier than I wanted because all the spots at the end of the academic year were full, scoring marginally above the median. Luckily, this let me apply late one cycle early, yet late in the application cycle, so only to DO - for a chance on the waitlist at best. Got several interviews and only one waitlist.

Just now, I got accepted against all odds from the waitlist to my top choice of all the programs I applied, a year earlier than I thought possible. Thank you to all the posters in this thread who gave inspiration - I probably wouldn't be going to medical school now if I hadn't read your posts.
Congratulations!! Which school?! I wish you luck in medical school and beyond!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Is there hope for me...?

Very low uGPA (graduated in 2014): 2.82 cGPA. sGPA slighty lower and AO slightly higher. I was working full time as a scribe, which seriously drained my energy for studying. But no excuses.
4.0 GPA in one-year SMP in Physiology (graduated May 2018). Completed with 38 hours.

First MCAT: 500 (1/29/2017)
Retake: 510 (6/30/2018)

Currently opening a non-profit clinic for homeless veterans in my city. Not my own project, but I've played a large role in its development. Leader of volunteer team.
3 years as full time ED scribe
2.5 years of full time research with multiple publications and a dozen presentations.
1 year as part-time after school science teacher.
300 hours volunteering in hospitals and non-medical volunteering.
400 hours shadowing numerous specialties.
Student government representative in grad school.
I've held other leadership positions as well, but nothing very significant.
I’m a Louisiana resident, so I’m hoping to take advantage of the in state favorability of the two state schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You're competitive for DO schools and probably your in state schools as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there hope for me...?

Very low uGPA (graduated in 2014): 2.82 cGPA. sGPA slighty lower and AO slightly higher. I was working full time as a scribe, which seriously drained my energy for studying. But no excuses.
4.0 GPA in one-year SMP in Physiology (graduated May 2018). Completed with 38 hours.

First MCAT: 500 (1/29/2017)
Retake: 510 (6/30/2018)

Currently opening a non-profit clinic for homeless veterans in my city. Not my own project, but I've played a large role in its development. Leader of volunteer team.
3 years as full time ED scribe
2.5 years of full time research with multiple publications and a dozen presentations.
1 year as part-time after school science teacher.
300 hours volunteering in hospitals and non-medical volunteering.
400 hours shadowing numerous specialties.
Student government representative in grad school.
I've held other leadership positions as well, but nothing very significant.
I’m a Louisiana resident, so I’m hoping to take advantage of the in state favorability of the two state schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

With an impressive 4.0 in your SMP, I'm quite surprised that you didn't get an interview at the school you completed the SMP.

You have a very strong chance of getting an interview at both the LSU schools. 32 Hours rule paired with a strong instate bias, both in your favor.

Who else here is doing classes for their post bacc this fall?! I'm doing two classes, one in person at the university I work at and an online class through a community college. One starts the last week of August and the other starts after Labor Day weekend. I'm looking forward to them. :)

Who else here is doing classes for their post bacc this fall?! I'm doing two classes, one in person at the university I work at and an online class through a community college. One starts the last week of August and the other starts after Labor Day weekend. I'm looking forward to them. :)
Fall 2018
Bioethics 3 cr
Biotechnology 3 cr
Research Methods 3 cr

Aiming for a 4.0. It's going to be a busy semester.
This is the very last time I'm changing my schedule lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Shotapp Definitely a busy schedule! I also am taking social psychology! I'm also going to taking Immunology. :) Best of luck to you. Will you also be working? I work full time so I'm limited to 2-3 classes a semester. :(

@Shotapp Definitely a busy schedule! I also am taking social psychology! I'm also going to taking Immunology. :) Best of luck to you. Will you also be working? I work full time so I'm limited to 2-3 classes a semester. :(
Yeah, I work as an OR aide 16 hrs a week (I used to be full-time, but I reduced my hrs so I could take more classes. I also took out more loans). This will be my first semester as a full-time student in my post-bac. I hope we all do great this fall!

Yeah, I work as an OR aide 16 hrs a week (I used to be full-time, but I reduced my hrs so I could take more classes. I also took out more loans). This will be my first semester as a full-time student in my post-bac. I hope we all do great this fall!

Wow, very cool!!! Good for you! I may try to do that in the future if I can! Definitely easier to take more classes when you don't have to work full-time!!! Best of luck to us all on this busy yet rewarding journey. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I have a shot this late in the cycle? Primaries (AMCAS & AACOMAS) submitted 7/13, AACOMAS verified but still waiting for AMCAS

Finished undergrad in 2011 with cGPA - 2.99, sGPA - 2.8.

Currently in second year of biomedical science master's program with cGPA and sGPA - 3.93

MCAT - 501; Retake - 512

Spent 3 years teaching HS and MS science, scribe for 1 year full-time, involved in leadership roles and committees on campus, lower end of recommended volunteering and shadowing hours, MN resident

Do I have a shot this late in the cycle? Primaries (AMCAS & AACOMAS) submitted 7/13, AACOMAS verified but still waiting for AMCAS

Currently in second year of biomedical science master's program with cGPA and sGPA - 3.93

MCAT - 501; Retake - 512

Spent 3 years teaching HS and MS science, scribe for 1 year full-time, involved in leadership roles and committees on campus, lower end of recommended volunteering and shadowing hours, MN resident

Yeah

MCAT - 501; Retake - 512

Why did it take you a couple of months after the app cycle opened for you to ask this question? Were you not sure if you were going to apply this year?

I ask these questions because non-trads like us need every advantage we can grab and, ideally, we should have our app in as soon as the cycle opens. Anyways, congrats on your MCAT retake and good luck with whatever decision you make.

It may have been asked already. Have anyone started a masters program and applied to medical school. I heard that they will sometimes review your application again. If my undergrad GPA isnt that high and I'm retaking the mcat. Like would they wait until fall semester grades post?

Why did it take you a couple of months after the app cycle opened for you to ask this question? Were you not sure if you were going to apply this year?

I ask these questions because non-trads like us need every advantage we can grab and, ideally, we should have our app in as soon as the cycle opens. Anyways, congrats on your MCAT retake and good luck with whatever decision you make.

Thank you for your response. I would have posted sooner but only recently came across this site/thread. I wanted to submit primaries as soon as possible but didn't think my PS was strong enough right away. I was feeling pretty good about submitting primaries 7/13 until I read some posts on here that made me nervous, so I figured I'd see if anyone has been in a similar situation or had advice to offer. Thanks again!

It may have been asked already. Have anyone started a masters program and applied to medical school. I heard that they will sometimes review your application again. If my undergrad GPA isnt that high and I'm retaking the mcat. Like would they wait until fall semester grades post?
Depends on the school if they will wait. It's better to wait and apply after completing a 1 year bio-med masters or smp so they can see the totality of your reinvention app.

Hi All,
Sorry to get into the midst of this thread. I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I graduated in 2016 with a 2.86gpa. (Did really bad in Chemistry which messed up everything for me). I took a few post-bac classes this past year and will be re-taking Organic Chemistry this fall and in Spring next year. I am wondering if anyone would know of any Master's programs that I could apply to in California. As of now my post-bac GPA is 4.0 and I hope to keep it the same after re-take of Organic Chem. I have an MCAT of 505 but plan to retake in June of '19 for hopefully a better score. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi All,
Sorry to get into the midst of this thread. I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I graduated in 2016 with a 2.86gpa. (Did really bad in Chemistry which messed up everything for me). I took a few post-bac classes this past year and will be re-taking Organic Chemistry this fall and in Spring next year. I am wondering if anyone would know of any Master's programs that I could apply to in California. As of now my post-bac GPA is 4.0 and I hope to keep it the same after re-take of Organic Chem. I have an MCAT of 505 but plan to retake in June of '19 for hopefully a better score. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Postbaccalaureate - AAMC

Sort by: CA, graduate, and any other filters you wish to include. Of the programs you find you can do a search through the postbac forum to see what people have said about it, find users to contact about their experiences, etc. You can also call the programs of interest and try to get feedback on your individual situation. That isn't an exhaustive list but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

In terms of general masters programs or masters programs that may be biomedically relevant there are tons. There's the masters in stem cell science offered at USC which isn't listed on the aamc postbac site, for instance. but again it comes down to what kind of masters program you want and what they can help you achieve.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just discovered this thread today, despite combing through most of the threads. I'm a non traditional and a below 3.0 applicant. I did not think there was anyone like me. My biggest challenges were finding letters of recommendations five years after graduation and crafting my personal stamen. That was so hard.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just discovered this thread today, despite combing through most of the threads. I'm a non traditional and a below 3.0 applicant. I did not think there was anyone like me. My biggest challenges were finding letters of recommendations five years after graduation and crafting my personal stamen. That was so hard.
Most of us I think do a grad program if we're under 3.0 and nontrads. The LORs that come out of them are usually really good (mine are) and my PIs just happen to be adcoms at the DO school here as well, so they helped me write my PS. I thought my own version was great when they read it but it actually really needed reworked. They helped greatly with that.

Are you applying this cycle?

Thank you, ept13. I will search the postbac forum. My interest is to try a one year masters and will check on the masters at USC.

Hello, Not below the 3.0 GPA, I salvaged my cGPA to a 3.2-3.3 and sGPA to a 3.0-3.1. Graduated this Spring in Biochem trend is weird I have three semesters with a 2.6-2.7 three with 3.0-3.1 and three 3.7-3.85. Looking to do a post bacc. Live in the northeast NJ (NYC area). Was mainly considering Rutgers SMP since it's in state and close but heard bad things about it. Also looking into Temple post bacc, nymc post bacc, Rowan MBS, and Drexel MBS. If anyone has gotten into these I would really appreciate the insight, thank you.

Hello, Not below the 3.0 GPA, I salvaged my cGPA to a 3.2-3.3 and sGPA to a 3.0-3.1. Graduated this Spring in Biochem trend is weird I have three semesters with a 2.6-2.7 three with 3.0-3.1 and three 3.7-3.85. Looking to do a post bacc. Live in the northeast NJ (NYC area). Was mainly considering Rutgers SMP since it's in state and close but heard bad things about it. Also looking into Temple post bacc, nymc post bacc, Rowan MBS, and Drexel MBS. If anyone has gotten into these I would really appreciate the insight, thank you.

Have you taken the MCAT yet?

I missed the deadline for Fall, so I start in the Spring at UMD. Was considering taking 3 classes but will start with 2 until I can start the upper division courses(that you can overlap once the gen ed ones are done).

Is there a thread for those in their DIY/Formal Post Bacc classes? Maybe we can share study notes. Right now, I am using Evernote and love it!

I missed the deadline for Fall, so I start in the Spring at UMD. Was considering taking 3 classes but will start with 2 until I can start the upper division courses(that you can overlap once the gen ed ones are done).

Is there a thread for those in their DIY/Formal Post Bacc classes? Maybe we can share study notes. Right now, I am using Evernote and love it!

Nice best of luck to you!!! What classes will you be taking? I am taking mine through UMN! And I don't know of any threads off the top of my head for DIY/Formal Post Bacc classes but if there is one it'd be nice to know!

Nice best of luck to you!!! What classes will you be taking? I am taking mine through UMN! And I don't know of any threads off the top of my head for DIY/Formal Post Bacc classes but if there is one it'd be nice to know!

Spring 2019: Bio 1 w/lab. 4cr.
Chem 1 w/lab 4cr.

Was considering taking Anat&Phys during the day but still not quite sure.(have to think about it over Fall)

I plan to take classes every semester! Lol want to be ready for the 2020/2021 cycle.

Spring 2019: Bio 1 w/lab. 4cr.
Chem 1 w/lab 4cr.

Was considering taking Anat&Phys during the day but still not quite sure.(have to think about it over Fall)

I plan to take classes every semester! Lol want to be ready for the 2020/2021 cycle.

You will have a busy schedule! Best of luck to you!!! ☺

You will have a busy schedule! Best of luck to you!!! ☺

Yes, as do you I am sure!

Not sure how to message you privately. Would love to keep in touch! I plan to start a vlog soon documenting my journey(thought it would be helpful to other students, especially those like us pursuing a post bacc). Jenny Le has a really great channel on YouTube covering her journey to MD too. I binge watch during my cleaning sessions at home. :)

Viola? I used to play the cello, was wanting one for Christmas.

We should keep in touch, that would be great! I will send you a PM! And that sounds awesome!! I started a blog with my journey and I update as time allows. It allows me to write where I'm at with things on this journey and answers all the questions that friends and family always seem to have for me haha. A vlog sounds really cool!! I'll check out Jenny Le as well!

And that is awesome that you played cello! I did play the viola growing up and early college. I haven't played in a while but would like to get back into playing someday soon. I still have mine but just a little rusty at this point haha.

EDIT: For some reason, when I tried to send you a message, it says that I was not able to send one to your profile.

Heyo!

First post on SDN, longtime lurker. Excuse my ignorance if I've missed a finer point of SDN etiquette, but I'd like some blunt feedback.

I eeked out a 2.7cGPA with an impressively low 1.9sGPA from a service academy ~10 years ago. Calc and calc based physics had their way with me and I was happy to escape. I'm wrapping up a DIY post-bacc now, 77 credits (all prereqs and upperdiv bio) with a 3.8, but that cGPA won't budge, current AMCAS cGPA 3.08 and sGPA 2.9 with a killer upward trend!

Will those numbers get me screened before I have a chance to let them know how cool I am?

Here's the rest of my stats, kind of a WAMC, given my anchor GPA

-6 months out from my MCAT, ~500 on 2 practices with no review. Goal is 515 and I think that's reasonable given my timeline/resources.
-several years paid/volunteer clinical experience as an Advanced EMT at a rural fire dept and remote ALS work. 1000's of paid/volunteer hours
-NIH funded independent undergrad research, no publications but damn I learned a lot.
-starting shadowing, will get between 50-100 hours in primary care, addiction med, EM, ortho, cardiology by June.
-several years consistent, substantial volunteering with a nonprofit educational farm
- I left the military as an officer, leadership and teaching positions, did some cool, feel good stuff in underserved areas which is how I got interested in medicine
I'm white and I live in a ruralish part of Alaska
Starting work on my personal statement and getting letter writers notified.

Obviously UW is my best bet, but I will apply to ~20 MD/DO programs.

Ramble complete, thanks gang

I have 1 DO and 2 MD interviews so far this cycle! Nontrad paramedic, ORM, 2.79 cGPA and 2.53sGPA with a 509 MCAT. My story very similar to yours. Came back from a rock bottom GPA to where I am now. The you then is not the you now! Work that angle. You have a lot to offer.

Reactions: 7 users
I have 1 DO and 2 MD interviews so far this cycle! Nontrad paramedic, ORM, 2.79 cGPA and 2.53sGPA with a 509 MCAT. My story very similar to yours. Came back from a rock bottom GPA to where I am now. The you then is not the you now! Work that angle. You have a lot to offer.

I agree! Just like in a “regular” interview; can easily substantiate with paperwork. Y’all are an inspiration! Godspeed! ;)

Nice! Good luck. Mind PMing what schools you're interviewing with, have to put them on my list.

Last year of classes to get the gpa > 3.0!!!

Reactions: 4 users
2.9/2.8 UG, 4.0 SMP, 90%< mcat, and strong ec's (clinical, research, volunteering,etc). Applied to 40 schools this cycle. I am hoping for the best
How's it going? My uGPA is similar but not as stellar MCAT And Grad GPA

So far it's okay. 3R/2H/0 IIs . I actually didn't even know I was sub 3 until my AMCAS got verified (I had many F retakes and didn't realize they dont grade replace). I got rejected from my SMP so i am a bit worried, but not giving up hope. We got this!
I got rejected from mine (MS tho) as well, it was a hard blow. I'm not expecting too much this year, but still have secondaries out with lost of silences. Did your SMP give you advice for next cycle?

So far it's okay. 3R/2H/0 IIs . I actually didn't even know I was sub 3 until my AMCAS got verified (I had many F retakes and didn't realize they dont grade replace). I got rejected from my SMP so i am a bit worried, but not giving up hope. We got this!
Have you applied DO yet? I imagine you'd get in. It's not too late to apply yet

I'm going to try for MD this cycle but if I have to reapply for next cycle I will add DOs as well! I dont think I have the mental/emotional capabilities to write any more secondaries this cycle (40+) :laugh:

Also no advice at all lmao. They told me I dont have anything to worry about with my performance. Felt like it was an empty promise, I am very worried!!!!![/QUOA
I'm going to try for MD this cycle but if I have to reapply for next cycle I will add DOs as well! I dont think I have the mental/emotional capabilities to write any more secondaries this cycle (40+) :laugh:

Also no advice at all lmao. They told me I dont have anything to worry about with my performance. Felt like it was an empty promise, I am very worried!!!!!

lol, well mine was literally "your interview was great, just your uGPA" ...... soooo... this MS isn't a grade fixer like advertised, and... why did I get an interview?

Also no advice at all lmao. They told me I dont have anything to worry about with my performance. Felt like it was an empty promise, I am very worried!!!!!
PM Me

2.9/2.8 UG, 4.0 SMP, 90%< mcat, and strong ec's (clinical, research, volunteering,etc). Applied to 40 schools this cycle. I am hoping for the best

Crossing my fingers for your success for my own selfish reasons haha, I have a slightly lower uGPA, same for SMP, higher MCAT.

Sorry to hear about getting the R from your SMP, I'm sure that was a rough day for you. My condolences.

Do you know of any possible red flags on your application (IA, etc), or potentially any faculty in your program that may have advised against interviewing you? How many people / what kind of people did you get to read through your application before you submitted it?

Last edited:
Thank you for for the kind words :)!

I have an IA but it’s for academic probation for bad grades , how is that even considered an IA so dumb.

Also I did have to rush through the app but that’s because we didn’t finish the Smp till early June and our transcripts were finished at the end of the month. I wanted to be as early as possible
Ah yeah that is unfortunate!

And understandable with the SMP ending in June. Either way the cycle still has time left in it and you've only heard a hard "no" from a fraction of the schools you applied to so theres still hope!

If you do end up having to reapply you at least have the time to really structure your application and give it the time it needs to be well written and well rounded.

Is silent rejection very common? I've had 9-10 schools (DO and MD) complete since July and dead silence.

This will be my first and only post on SDN. I've been coming to this site for information and motivation since deciding to change my career path three years ago. Today, I got my acceptance call from my top choice of schools. To cut to the purpose of this post, I want to share with you what I think got me into medical school with a overall GPA of 2.68.

I'm a non-trad, early 30s. My uGPA was 2.41, in Chemical Engineering. Been working as a researcher for about five years. In that time, my employer paid for me to get my master's in engineering. I did well in my masters, got a gGPA of 3.84. But, because of the exceptionally low uGPA, that only brought my overall to 2.68. As far as experiences go, I've got a decade in the Army National Guard as a medic, and worked as an ED tech when I was in college. When I decided to apply to medical school, which was a mental and emotional accomplishment for me personally, I knew that I was severely behind the curve. I knew that I had to crush the MCAT.

I had very little biochemistry, biology, A&P, psy&soc, etc. in college. Outside of physics and chemistry, I was starting at square one. So, I bought the Kaplan books. I went cover to cover; that's not hyperbole, literally all 2000+ pages. I made at least one flashcard for every topic that was up for grabs on the test (list available from AAMC). I used spaced repetition, reviewing each card a total of only eight times. For amino acids, metabolic pathways, I drew them by hand, at least once a week. To get through all the study material and cover all 1700+ topics took about 18 months, because I had/have so little free time given all my other roles in life solider, researcher, husband, father, student, etc. Then, I did every single practice problem that the AAMC offers. I also did the entire 101 CARS passages book. Practice took an additional three months. So did 21 months of studying payoff? 131/137/131/128 for a 517 was worth every minute.

I applied to 11 schools, 14 sites. Two interviews, two acceptances as of this posting. I truly believe that the two factors that got me accepted, by a huge margin, were the gGPA and the MCAT. Everything else was just bonus that probably made very little difference. Prove to them that you can handle medicine academically, and the rest falls into place. Just decide, and do.

Things I would have done differently: 1. Get ANKI, learn how to use it. I have a mountain of paper flashcards so big that it won't fit in most backpacks, go digital and spare yourself that pain! 2. Be kind to yourself. Studying for a career in medicine is a lifestyle, not an extended cram session, learn balance; I recommend Getting Things Done, and Seven Habits of Highly Effective People for help getting started. 3. Do not self-select. Frankly, it's not your job to decide if you get into medical school, or what your chances are. Decide to apply, do the work, and leave the rest to someone else, you'll have enough on your plate.

I hope this helps one of you. I was in your position, not that long ago. You can do it. Just decide and do the work, and the rest will follow.

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
This will be my first and only post on SDN. I've been coming to this site for information and motivation since deciding to change my career path three years ago. Today, I got my acceptance call from my top choice of schools. To cut to the purpose of this post, I want to share with you what I think got me into medical school with a overall GPA of 2.68.

I'm a non-trad, early 30s. My uGPA was 2.41, in Chemical Engineering. Been working as a researcher for about five years. In that time, my employer paid for me to get my master's in engineering. I did well in my masters, got a gGPA of 3.84. But, because of the exceptionally low uGPA, that only brought my overall to 2.68. As far as experiences go, I've got a decade in the Army National Guard as a medic, and worked as an ED tech when I was in college. When I decided to apply to medical school, which was a mental and emotional accomplishment for me personally, I knew that I was severely behind the curve. I knew that I had to crush the MCAT.

I had very little biochemistry, biology, A&P, psy&soc, etc. in college. Outside of physics and chemistry, I was starting at square one. So, I bought the Kaplan books. I went cover to cover; that's not hyperbole, literally all 2000+ pages. I made at least one flashcard for every topic that was up for grabs on the test (list available from AAMC). I used spaced repetition, reviewing each card a total of only eight times. For amino acids, metabolic pathways, I drew them by hand, at least once a week. To get through all the study material and cover all 1700+ topics took about 18 months, because I had/have so little free time given all my other roles in life solider, researcher, husband, father, student, etc. Then, I did every single practice problem that the AAMC offers. I also did the entire 101 CARS passages book. Practice took an additional three months. So did 21 months of studying payoff? 131/137/131/128 for a 517 was worth every minute.

I applied to 11 schools, 14 sites. Two interviews, two acceptances as of this posting. I truly believe that the two factors that got me accepted, by a huge margin, were the gGPA and the MCAT. Everything else was just bonus that probably made very little difference. Prove to them that you can handle medicine academically, and the rest falls into place. Just decide, and do.

Things I would have done differently: 1. Get ANKI, learn how to use it. I have a mountain of paper flashcards so big that it won't fit in most backpacks, go digital and spare yourself that pain! 2. Be kind to yourself. Studying for a career in medicine is a lifestyle, not an extended cram session, learn balance; I recommend Getting Things Done, and Seven Habits of Highly Effective People for help getting started. 3. Do not self-select. Frankly, it's not your job to decide if you get into medical school, or what your chances are. Decide to apply, do the work, and leave the rest to someone else, you'll have enough on your plate.

I hope this helps one of you. I was in your position, not that long ago. You can do it. Just decide and do the work, and the rest will follow.
Congrats on your well earned acceptances!

Is silent rejection very common? I've had 9-10 schools (DO and MD) complete since July and dead silence.

They might still be reviewing. There are people complete in early July who are just getting II. The high stat application get sorted and reviewed first. So they might just be getting or not gotten to those with average to below average stats

I got a
Heyo!

First post on SDN, longtime lurker. Excuse my ignorance if I've missed a finer point of SDN etiquette, but I'd like some blunt feedback.

I eeked out a 2.7cGPA with an impressively low 1.9sGPA from a service academy ~10 years ago. Calc and calc based physics had their way with me and I was happy to escape. I'm wrapping up a DIY post-bacc now, 77 credits (all prereqs and upperdiv bio) with a 3.8, but that cGPA won't budge, current AMCAS cGPA 3.08 and sGPA 2.9 with a killer upward trend!

Will those numbers get me screened before I have a chance to let them know how cool I am?

Here's the rest of my stats, kind of a WAMC, given my anchor GPA

-6 months out from my MCAT, ~500 on 2 practices with no review. Goal is 515 and I think that's reasonable given my timeline/resources.
-several years paid/volunteer clinical experience as an Advanced EMT at a rural fire dept and remote ALS work. 1000's of paid/volunteer hours
-NIH funded independent undergrad research, no publications but damn I learned a lot.
-starting shadowing, will get between 50-100 hours in primary care, addiction med, EM, ortho, cardiology by June.
-several years consistent, substantial volunteering with a nonprofit educational farm
- I left the military as an officer, leadership and teaching positions, did some cool, feel good stuff in underserved areas which is how I got interested in medicine
I'm white and I live in a ruralish part of Alaska
Starting work on my personal statement and getting letter writers notified.

Obviously UW is my best bet, but I will apply to ~20 MD/DO programs.

Ramble complete, thanks gang

Alaska resident and applying to UW. Just got my residency verified. Good luck this cycle !

Mind PMing me the school you completed your SMP at?
Wishing your the best for the current cycle, please keep us updated!