Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have one question. This may or may not have been asked but there's a lot of trolling to do if I were to find out. Has anybody taken a different approach with this whole redeemed scheme? For example has anybody changed their major to business, political science or art ( something your interested in). Then maybe take those classes needed for med school. I'm in the same boat as you guys but I'm really considering joining the military and moving to Texas. ON the other hand I'm thinking of waiting until the spring of 2019 semester to enroll in a state college pull out some loans and to prove that the 24 year old me isn't the same as the 18 year old me and I plan on workings as well as taking a break from thinking about med school. It's just a thought I've been stuck with, I just wonder how many of you have the same thoughts. BTW I was thinking of the army or Navy the airforce ( maybe ) .

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have one question. This may or may not have been asked but there's a lot of trolling to do if I were to find out. Has anybody taken a different approach with this whole redeemed scheme? For example has anybody changed their major to business, political science or art ( something your interested in). Then maybe take those classes needed for med school. I'm in the same boat as you guys but I'm really considering joining the military and moving to Texas. ON the other hand I'm thinking of waiting until the spring of 2019 semester to enroll in a state college pull out some loans and to prove that the 24 year old me isn't the same as the 18 year old me and I plan on workings so well as taking a break from thinking about med school. It's just a thought I've been stuck with, I just wonder how many of you have the same thoughts. BTW I was thinking of the army or Navy the airforce ( maybe ) .
Not exactly the same, but I was going for something science related in college initially, then I failed out. I took a few years off and then went back and got a business degree because I thought medicine was out of the question and wanted something "practical". Once I got my business degree I kept on taking the classes for med school, then did a special masters program, and now I'm in medical school. My business degree never came up in interviews though, so I have zero idea how my path was viewed in that aspect.

Reactions: 1 user
I have one question. This may or may not have been asked but there's a lot of trolling to do if I were to find out. Has anybody taken a different approach with this whole redeemed scheme? For example has anybody changed their major to business, political science or art ( something your interested in). Then maybe take those classes needed for med school. I'm in the same boat as you guys but I'm really considering joining the military and moving to Texas. ON the other hand I'm thinking of waiting until the spring of 2019 semester to enroll in a state college pull out some loans and to prove that the 24 year old me isn't the same as the 18 year old me and I plan on workings as well as taking a break from thinking about med school. It's just a thought I've been stuck with, I just wonder how many of you have the same thoughts. BTW I was thinking of the army or Navy the airforce ( maybe ) .

Just my two cents, but don't join the military if you want to go to med school. I'm six years in and just now starting to get my pre-reqs in. If you already know you want to do it, enlisting will only push your timeline back. I don't regret enlisting, because I love the people I've met and the places I've been, but I'm almost 28 and nowhere near applying.

There's always the chance you could get into the EMDP2 program if you already have a bachelors, but that wouldn't be until several years into your enlistment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not exactly the same, but I was going for something science related in college initially, then I failed out. I took a few years off and then went back and got a business degree because I thought medicine was out of the question and wanted something "practical". Once I got my business degree I kept on taking the classes for med school, then did a special masters program, and now I'm in medical school. My business degree never came up in interviews though, so I have zero idea how my path was viewed in that aspect.

not quite similar but I catch your point.
Just my two cents, but don't join the military if you want to go to med school. I'm six years in and just now starting to get my pre-reqs in. If you already know you want to do it, enlisting will only push your timeline back. I don't regret enlisting, because I love the people I've met and the places I've been, but I'm almost 28 and nowhere near applying.

There's always the chance you could get into the EMDP2 program if you already have a bachelors, but that wouldn't be until several years into your enlistment.

So you think enlisting in the military set you backwards? If I was to join I'd go cop in airforce just so I could leave early or I'd study and take the asvab next month and see what's there. If not I'd go army medic or nurse. I only see benefits from the military.

I've heard people tell me they managed to take classes active duty and made it through.

If I go to the military, sure when I get out I'd be 27. But I'd have a ton of experience on my background. This is the 4 year get out route.

I don't want to wait til I'm 32 to start med school butttt...realistically I think I would because my plan was to finish my path of med school at that age when I was 18. That's the Texas route.

My other plan was to just major in accounting in what I'm good at and take classes when I'm ready.

I'll try to clear some things up if that was unclear.

Hey folks! Posting in this thread for camaraderie!
Graduated with a crap ton of credits with ~ 2.5-2.7 cGPA and sub-30 MCAT
Did a DIY Post-bacc (21c) with a 3.65, SMP (40c) with a 4.0 and an MCAT re-take of 520+

Applying this upcoming cycle (EDIT: applying Summer 2019 now haha) so hopefully if I find some success I can come back with advice and tips!

I think for those considering SMPs with sub 3.0 GPAs really need to assess where they went wrong in their undergraduate studies. SMPs are very expensive, and if you repeat your undergraduate work in those programs you're practically sealing the door shut for yourse

Did you do bad because you were lazy/immature/not-focused? Then ask yourself why it will be different this time around and what will you do to change it. Did you do poorly even though you worked your butt off? Then ask yourself why it will be different this time around and what will you do to change it. I highly recommend anyone considering a SMP with a sub 3.0 GPA to do a DIY Post-bacc first and make sure they can do well there before they shell out so much money (also you may have to anyways because SMPs aren't necessarily easy to get into with sub 3.0s).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Did a DIY Post-bacc (21c) with a 3.65, SMP (40c) with a 4.0 and an MCAT re-take of 520+

Applying this upcoming cycle so hopefully if I find some success I can come back with advice and tips!

I think for those considering SMPs with sub 3.0 GPAs really need to assess where they went wrong in their undergraduate studies. SMPs are very expensive, and if you repeat your undergraduate work in those programs you're practically sealing the door shut for yourse

Did you do bad because you were lazy/immature/not-focused? Then ask yourself why it will be different this time around and what will you do to change it. Did you do poorly even though you worked your butt off? Then ask yourself why it will be different this time around and what will you do to change it. I highly recommend anyone considering a SMP with a sub 3.0 GPA to do a DIY Post-bacc first and make sure they can do well there before they shell out so much money (also you may have to anyways because SMPs aren't necessarily easy to get into with sub 3.0s).
How'd you get in with a <2.7 GPA to an SMP? Do you mind sharing which one it was?

How'd you get in with a <2.7 GPA to an SMP? Do you mind sharing which one it was?

They said I was honestly on the fence and probably the lowest uGPA they've ever taken, and it was mainly my performance in my DIY post-bacc and phone interview that "gave me the chance."

I'd unfortunately rather not say for anonymity sake, though I'm sure at this point I've given enough unique facts about me for someone to figure it out :p

They said I was honestly on the fence and probably the lowest uGPA they've ever taken, and it was mainly my performance in my DIY post-bacc and phone interview that "gave me the chance."

I'd unfortunately rather not say for anonymity sake, though I'm sure at this point I've given enough unique facts about me for someone to figure it out :p
TELL ME!!

I second this! If you wouldn't mind PMing me also, I am very curious as to which SMP you attended. I'm in a very similar situation and applying to SMPs now haha. Best of luck to you in the upcoming cycle!

Applying this upcoming cycle so hopefully if I find some success I can come back with advice and tips!

What was your major?

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently trying to figure out where to go/what to do, like many of you on here. I graduated from UConn in 2017 with a BS in Biological Sciences and a minor in Business. I had a rough freshman year, ending with a GPA of 1.4... By the time I graduated, after taking summer/winter classes and retaking two sciences, my cGPA 2.868. I had an upward trend in my past two years at school filled with mostly A's and B's, was able to study abroad, was soooo close to graduating with above a 3.0 but then biochem happened. I am planning on retaking it somewhere, possibly at a CC this summer or fall. I have been working in an ER for the past year after graduation, volunteer as an EMT, shadowed, have good EC's, but I feel that I will never be competitive enough to apply to DO schools because of my GPA. I have to take the MCAT, would like to apply next cycle (so I would be starting in 2020), and would love any advice/insight on how I can make myself more competitive.

what did you do to study for the MCAT that you got a 520++ thats incredible! great job

what did you do to study for the MCAT that you got a 520++ thats incredible! great job

Thanks!

Well for my retake the first thing I did this time around was actually study baha.

Now the way people prepare is different for everybody, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I was never really confused by the content, so I read through the EK books and followed each chapter with some PQs over the course of a month. I did not take any notes or use any flashcards, in my case I typically use these as a crutch to not actively learn. I made sure that I was fully attentive during the course of my reading, integrating as I go and not wasting time shadowing information to paper or trying to memorize minor details. The MCAT is a problem solving test first and foremost. Understand the concepts is way more important than remembering the details, this allows you to figure out problems with information from the passage.

I then spent the 2 months following just doing practice questions. That's really all to it. I was working a lot during my MCAT study period so I did very few complete FLs in one sitting and had to break them up over the days.

Overall, I more or less followed "mcatjelly" MCAT 2015 study schedule. You can find it on SDN through a quick search!

Good luck! If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

Also P.S:
For Psych/Soc I only used the 86 page Khan Academy word document that you can find also through a google search (don't have the link myself)!

Reactions: 7 users
I hate to admit it but the MCAT has me shaking in my boots. My date is less than 2 weeks away. It's the last obstacle to my application but it is just such a big component I can't help but feel super scared if it doesn't go well. Aiming for a 514 but we'll see... my FLs have been at a good range but my main source of anxiousness is that I still have trouble memorizing the content. I can't recall outright certain formulas and facts but on the FLs I've sort of been able to recognize enough to guess my way to the right answer, hence my lack of confidence in my ability.

But I've got to put that aside and just tackle this thing. 9 days is still time. I've crammed more info in less time before for my finals. Deep breaths... only a few more weeks and then I finally take the big steps towards submitting my application, after all this time...

I hate to admit it but the MCAT has me shaking in my boots. My date is less than 2 weeks away. It's the last obstacle to my application but it is just such a big component I can't help but feel super scared if it doesn't go well. Aiming for a 514 but we'll see... my FLs have been at a good range but my main source of anxiousness is that I still have trouble memorizing the content. I can't recall outright certain formulas and facts but on the FLs I've sort of been able to recognize enough to guess my way to the right answer, hence my lack of confidence in my ability.

But I've got to put that aside and just tackle this thing. 9 days is still time. I've crammed more info in less time before for my finals. Deep breaths... only a few more weeks and then I finally take the big steps towards submitting my application, after all this time...
Don't underestimate the importance of the mental game to ensure optimal performance. Feel free to PM me.

Hey y'all. Just finished the 2nd year of my DIY postbacc and am prepping for the MCAT come August. I'm not applying this cycle since I don't quite have the clinical hours yet (I would by the Fall, but that's too late to apply and anyway I need the extra time to prep for the MCAT) but wanted to check in here again since I'll be graduating from this sub 3.0 club very soon :D

I started with a 2.66 cGPA / 2.75 sGPA (yay engineering!) and have since taken 47 semester hours/units over the last two years to the tune of a 3.8 postbacc GPA. I currently sit at a 2.95 cGPA / 3.18 sGPA split. The first year I took classes full-time while working, but that was murder so I quit my job last August. This past year has been taking more classes while mostly focusing on self-care (exercise, healthy eating, relationships) and ramping up my ECs. I'm a medical scribe now and have been managing a music therapy program for one of the larger hospice providers in the region. This coming year (Postbacc Year 3), once my MCAT is out of the way, I will be focused primarily on the ECs with some electives that are of interest to me (public health, socio-anthropology, immuno, etc.) since my dream is to get into an MD/MPH or MD/MPP program. If there are DO analogs to these dual degrees then I want those too haha.

The MCAT is a beast, but my NextStep diagnostic was a 507 and it's only been trending up with each FL practice exam. I'm hopeful to be in the range that @Goro says (513+) for MD schools (because my state is mostly allopathic schools, not because I think they're better) but damned if this exam doesn't find new ways to humble you each day. I'm trying to keep @Goro's words that this is an exercise in transcript repair, not GPA repair, but I can't still help but feel demoralized that my cGPA will just barely eek out of sub 3.0-ville even after all this blood, sweat, and coin. Still, all you can do is keep killing it and trust that the right admission committee member will see you for your recent body of work. I've faith, shaky though it may be, that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyway, peace to everyone in this thread. Don't lose hope and don't let the investment deter you. I've been a member of SDN for 12 years (since my undergrad days) and the last two years have flown by faster than Thanos can snap his fingers. I do not regret finally taking this leap and if it ultimately ends with me not being a doctor, I still won't regret having bet on myself. I hope you all feel the same way about yourselves.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey y'all. Just finished the 2nd year of my DIY postbacc and am prepping for the MCAT come August. I'm not applying this cycle since I don't quite have the clinical hours yet (I would by the Fall, but that's too late to apply and anyway I need the extra time to prep for the MCAT) but wanted to check in here again since I'll be graduating from this sub 3.0 club very soon :D

I started with a 2.66 cGPA / 2.75 sGPA (yay engineering!) and have since taken 47 semester hours/units over the last two years to the tune of a 3.8 postbacc GPA. I currently sit at a 2.95 cGPA / 3.18 sGPA split. The first year I took classes full-time while working, but that was murder so I quit my job last August. This past year has been taking more classes while mostly focusing on self-care (exercise, healthy eating, relationships) and ramping up my ECs. I'm a medical scribe now and have been managing a music therapy program for one of the larger hospice providers in the region. This coming year (Postbacc Year 3), once my MCAT is out of the way, I will be focused primarily on the ECs with some electives that are of interest to me (public health, socio-anthropology, immuno, etc.) since my dream is to get into an MD/MPH or MD/MPP program. If there are DO analogs to these dual degrees then I want those too haha.

The MCAT is a beast, but my NextStep diagnostic was a 507 and it's only been trending up with each FL practice exam. I'm hopeful to be in the range that @Goro says (513+) for MD schools (because my state is mostly allopathic schools, not because I think they're better) but damned if this exam doesn't find new ways to humble you each day. I'm trying to keep @Goro's words that this is an exercise in transcript repair, not GPA repair, but I can't still help but feel demoralized that my cGPA will just barely eek out of sub 3.0-ville even after all this blood, sweat, and coin. Still, all you can do is keep killing it and trust that the right admission committee member will see you for your recent body of work. I've faith, shaky though it may be, that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyway, peace to everyone in this thread. Don't lose hope and don't let the investment deter you. I've been a member of SDN for 12 years (since my undergrad days) and the last two years have flown by faster than Thanos can snap his fingers. I do not regret finally taking this leap and if it ultimately ends with me not being a doctor, I still won't regret having bet on myself. I hope you all feel the same way about yourselves.
There are several DO/MPH programs, I know PCOM is one because I interviewed there, but there are others as well. No clue about DO/MPP.

Hello all,

I would like to first start off by thanking anyone for the help in advance! I am an ORM (future) applicant and my state residency is CA. I am about to graduate from college with a cGPA of 3.25 and a sGPA at 2.93-2.95 (biology major) depending on my last upper division course. However, I do not plan to apply this 2018-2019 cycle due to my low stats and I know my chances are rather slim. I will be applying next cycle to only DO schools. I have taken the MCAT once and I have scored far below 500. I made the mistake of taking it without being fully ready and I still regret that. That is another reason why I am not applying this cycle. My plans for the MCAT is that I plan to study from when I graduate (in about a month) to Jan 2019 and retake the MCAT in Jan 2019. This time around I plan to have a structured schedule and doing more FL tests (which i did not utilize the first time around).

In addition to the MCAT, I want to also try to repair my sGPA. I've been reading on this forum on many different options that I may take in order to make it to medical school. I would like to know if I have possibly missed an option or not. After reading many threads/posts, I've come to a conclusion on these following these three plans (ranging from the most likely option to the least likely option):

1. Do a DIY post-bacc to bring my sGPA above 3.0.
I plan to retake some of the medical school pre-requisite courses that I received a C/C+ to average it out. These are the courses I plan to retake: Bio I/II (C/C), Ochem II (C), and maybe Chemistry II (C+). I read many posts that it is okay for me to do my diy postbacc at a local community college, but some do not "accept" cc classes? I read more on that it is okay than not okay, so I think this is my realistic option. On top of retaking those classes, I plan to take some other biology classes at CC to try to get my sGPA to be more competitive. My main question is that if it is okay to do retake classes at a local cc and would it hurt my chances since some do not accept cc classes.

I read on AACOMAS matriculation report and they separated their gpa into six different brackets. Right now, I fall into the gpa bracket of 2.8 to 3.19, but I want to try to be part of the 3.2 to 3.59 bracket. I think with the retakes and other classes, I can make it into this bracket. My main question for this is that would it matter much if my gpa was 3.22 vs 3.28 in my application? I know the best case scenario if I take enough classes, I can get it up to 3.30, but being realistic, it would range from 3.22 to 3.28. I think at the end of my diy post-bacc, my cGPA would be around 3.30 and my sGPA would be around 3.22-3.28.

2. Get my sGPA above 3.0 and do a SMP
I know SMPs are a make or break option. I know some programs that have a guaranteed interview if I obtain a certain gpa in their program and some do not. I heard that SMPs are considered more highly than your sGPA, so this could be a chance for me as well. I would take this option if the first one fails.

3. If all fails, Caribbeans Medical School
I know they do not have a minimum mcat or gpa, but with the merge of DO and MD, it is becoming a lot harder for IMGs to match into US residency. Not only that, but the attrition rate in these medical schools are very high. This is my very very last option, but I am still willing to take if all other possibilities fail. Again, I want to reiterate that this is my VERY LAST option.

Those three are what I plan for the gap year. I would like to go into more of my ECs, so I can inform you my entire situation. My ECs so far:
- Chemistry Research Lab (800+ hours), but no publications. I have only presented (two times) at science symposiums at local universities.
- Mentor Program (300+ hours)
- Hospital Volunteer (~30 hours)
- Board position for a service organization (50+ hours)
- Boy Scouts of America / Eagle Scout

My ECs during the gap year: I plan to shadow a DO doctor or possibly get a scribe position during the gap year. Should I do both if I have the opportunity to do so or would one suffice? As you can tell, my ECs are not that greatest.

This concludes my current plans for this upcoming gap year. Please do let me know if I have missed any possible options

Thank you for your time!

Hey guys,

Life happens and I took a break from trying for med school (Got a job as an RN, moved across the country, met my now SO). But, I'm back at it now. The itch isn't going away. I've got a 2.7 GPA from my undergrad, 124 credits in total (Bachelor of science in nursing). My fourth year GPA was 3.3 and third year 2.81; so there is an upward trend if you could call it that. I'm thinking of doing a DIY Post Bacc and was quoted 2-3 years for this to successfully develop and put me in a position to apply to DO schools. I see that many of you have taken this route- if you have any advice or tips feel free to reply or PM me! I'd love to hear from you... I feel like the DIY Post Bacc is a lot of time and money and i'm wanting to go to medical school sooner than later; because of this i've also entertained Caribbean/Foreign schools. It's not easy trying to decide on the appropriate path.

Last edited:
I feel like the DIY Post Bacc is a lot of time and money and i'm wanting to go to medical school sooner than later; because of this i've also entertained Caribbean/Foreign schools. It's not easy trying to decide on the appropriate path.

The quote in your signature is pretty appropriate right now: "if it was easy, everybody would do it".

The process is not going to be easy. We all want to go to medical school sooner than later. But there's no shortcut to this and if you are going to do this then I think you should make damn well sure you take the time/effort to do it right. 2-3 years in the grand scheme of things isn't such a big sacrifice to make if the reward is to secure you better chances at a better school whose business model isn't to extort most of their students.

A postbac can also help you personally by letting you get back into the swing of academia and developing/reinforcing good study habits that you didn't have the first time around.

Conventional wisdom on pretty much every pre-med space says that the Caribbean should only be considered as a LAST resort. Though you can always find someone who went to the Caribbean straight out and obtained success from it, you'll also find many more who struggled and had their aspirations crushed from it. Some not even necessarily because they did poorly, but just because the numbers simply are never in their favor while at the Caribbean. Make sure you're well-informed and aware of your choice before you make it.

Reactions: 1 users

Congratulations!! You deserve the rewards of hard work. Kill the SMP & keep us posted on your progress :) Posts like yours mean a whole world to many people!

Got accepted at a local university so I can start taking pre reqs come the fall. So excited. BRING IT ON!

Reactions: 3 users
Got my MCAT back, 515! 1 pt higher than my minimum target goal. I know as a sub 3.0 applicant we should be aiming as high as possible, but I can be content with this I think. At least according to table A-23 I should have somewhat of a shot in hell at getting in somewhere lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Got my MCAT back, 515! 1 pt higher than my minimum target goal. I know as a sub 3.0 applicant we should be aiming as high as possible, but I can be content with this I think. At least according to table A-23 I should have somewhat of a shot in hell at getting in somewhere lol.
Congrats on the MCAT score!!! Now go kill your application cycle!

Despite all the doubt, I have prevailed! I was just accepted into an SMP last week and will be attending this fall. Graduated with a 2.4 from my undergrad institution, and spent the last two years completing post-bacc work at community colleges (~40cr) while working full-time and volunteering in two positions in my community. So ready to get to work this fall semester and kill this program. I'm truly humbled to receive this second chance. One step closer to becoming a physician!

Don't ever stop fighting for your dreams. If you put the work in, you will be rewarded.

Reactions: 4 users
Despite all the doubt, I have prevailed! I was just accepted into an SMP last week and will be attending this fall. Graduated with a 2.4 from my undergrad institution, and spent the last two years completing post-bacc work at community colleges (~40cr) while working full-time and volunteering in two positions in my community. So ready to get to work this fall semester and kill this program. I'm truly humbled to receive this second chance. One step closer to becoming a physician!

Don't ever stop fighting for your dreams. If you put the work in, you will be rewarded.
As somebody who is going to start their DIY Post Bacc this fall, i'm happy to read this. I'm coming from a cGPA 2.7 undergrad with a 2.8 in third year and a 3.3 in fourth year. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
So happy to be reading such great news on here as of lately!!!!! This goes to show hard work goes far. Got A's in both classes I took this past spring.

I decided to take a break from classes this summer to work on myself. I'll be back at it in the fall with plans to take Immunology at the University I work at and an online Social Psychology class through a local community college. Next spring I'm looking at retaking Cell Biology, Virology and probably a third class. Come fall, I'll be ready to get back into the swing of things.

Reactions: 1 users
So happy to be reading such great news on here as of lately!!!!! This goes to show hard work goes far. Got A's in both classes I took this past spring.

I decided to take a break from classes this summer to work on myself. I'll be back at it in the fall with plans to take Immunology at the University I work at and an online Social Psychology class through a local community college. Next spring I'm looking at retaking Cell Biology, Virology and probably a third class. Come fall, I'll be ready to get back into the swing of things.
It's a marathon, not a sprint! The key to success is staying focused and taking things in stride.

It's a marathon, not a sprint! The key to success is staying focused and taking things in stride.

That is very true!!! And I definitely appreciate your feedback!!! Definitely why I am glad I took summer off. I have family and friends that wonder why I have not yet applied. I still am working on making up for a poor gpa and am a ways away from applying. My goal in the end is to have 60ish credits of A's to show an upward trend. Due to having to work full-time, I am only able to take 2-3 classes at a time but can only do what I can! I hope all is going well for you on your journey otherwise! :)

I'm a little nervous I will graduate this fall probably less than 3.0, my main concerned is that I got kicked out of the university for horrific grades( chemistry major) I had to wait 3 years for a fresh restart ( which removed the F's and D's and kept the grades C's and higher, I still had to repeat the bad grades tho) but however the bad grades are still displayed but not factored into the GPA, my first semester back I got a 2.1 GPA now a 2.8GPA . My three years off I worked as a CNA and EMT( still do). What I'm afraid of is my true GPA when the AAMC calculated. I'm thinking my only option is SMP or masters than hopefully get into med school
Any insights

I'm a little nervous I will graduate this fall probably less than 3.0, my main concerned is that I got kicked out of the university for horrific grades( chemistry major) I had to wait 3 years for a fresh restart ( which removed the F's and D's and kept the grades C's and higher, I still had to repeat the bad grades tho) but however the bad grades are still displayed but not factored into the GPA, my first semester back I got a 2.1 GPA now a 2.8GPA . My three years off I worked as a CNA and EMT( still do). What I'm afraid of is my true GPA when the AAMC calculated. I'm thinking my only option is SMP or masters than hopefully get into med school
Any insights

You mentioned fresh start. Are you referring to Academic Fresh Start in Texas? If it's a "fresh start" through your university, the grades stand and will need to be calculated toward your overall/science GPA when applying.

You may know this already but just wanted to see.

Any insights
What is your cumulative and science GPA?
Figure out those numbers and go from there. If your GPA's are below a 3.0, you need to do a diy post-bac. A diy post-bac is where you take extra upper division biology courses at the undergraduate level post graduation (hence why it's called a post-baccalaureate, after bachelors).
Your next step is to create an upward trend by getting A's in upper level sciences in 30 or more credits, study and get a decent MCAT score 505 and up, and perhaps apply and do an smp.

What is your cumulative and science GPA?
Figure out those numbers and go from there.

How are you doing, friend? Haven't heard from you in a bit but good to see you're still around chugging along! :happy:

How are you doing, friend? Haven't heard from you in a bit but good to see you're still around chugging along! :happy:
Hey etp123,
I'm still going at a steady pace on this marathon, but I will be applying to some medical schools and smps in 2019 (depends on how I do on the Mcat). This fall I'm going to take a couple of classes while studying for the Mcat for a January test.

Congrats again on your Mcat score! What smps are you planning to apply to?

What smps are you planning to apply to?

Thank you! Nice, study hard and pace yourself with the MCAT content. Good luck!!

I'm applying to most of the established ones: Cincinnati, Temple, EVMS, Georgetown, Drexel IMS, Case Western (though unsure since they seem to discourage the 1 year option...?), Tufts, Boston, Tulane (MS Anatomy), maybe a variety of Tulane's other masters programs, as well a few others that are less established but seem to be decent programs with M1 classes such as Brown ScM and Loyola MSMP. You?

Thank you! Nice, study hard and pace yourself with the MCAT content. Good luck!!

I'm applying to most of the established ones: Cincinnati, Temple, EVMS, Georgetown, Drexel IMS, Case Western (though unsure since they seem to discourage the 1 year option...?), Tufts, Boston, Tulane (MS Anatomy), maybe a variety of Tulane's other masters programs, as well a few others that are less established but seem to be decent programs with M1 classes such as Brown ScM and Loyola MSMP. You?
Don't forget DMUs MSBS. Great program, does work study in lab. Still time to apply I bet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Isn't that a two year program?
Yes, though I'm still not sure why 1 year is better. To have the grades on your application from 1st year you have to apply after your year... giving you another school year to do what? Wait? Might as well just do a two year. DMUs 1st year is mostly classes anyway, with research getting more heavy in year 2.

Yes, though I'm still not sure why 1 year is better. To have the grades on your application from 1st year you have to apply after your year... giving you another school year to do what? Wait? Might as well just do a two year. DMUs 1st year is mostly classes anyway, with research getting more heavy in year 2.

Does this program have any linkage with the associated school?

Does this program have any linkage with the associated school?

Supposed to be guaranteed interview with certain metrics. I believe they are 3.0 in grad classes and 500 MCAT. Nothing official though.

I'm looking at the new bridge masters program at WVSOM, the masters at VCOM, Loyola, Rutgers, and a few of the other more established ones. I just want to be a doctor so if it's MD or DO, it doesn't matter.

I'm looking at the new bridge masters program at WVSOM, the masters at VCOM, Loyola, Rutgers, and a few of the other more established ones. I just want to be a doctor so if it's MD or DO, it doesn't matter.

I've heard some fishy things on sd.net about Rutgers. Something about them not being as supportive/helpful of a program as you would hope, and they publish very little information which is also a red flag? Dunno, you'll probably know more than me once you start looking into them

I've heard some fishy things on sd.net about Rutgers. Something about them not being as supportive/helpful of a program as you would hope, and they publish very little information which is also a red flag? Dunno, you'll probably know more than me once you start looking into them
Now that you mention that, I won't be considering Rutgers anymore. I'm looking for programs with high linkage, chance of matriculation, or a good track record of getting students into good medical schools.

Now that you mention that, I won't be considering Rutgers anymore. I'm looking for programs with high linkage, chance of matriculation, or a good track record of getting students into good medical schools.

What is your state of residence?