Benefits during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ivorymist

Don't take MAOIs with...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow they just gave me a pharmacy degree. What has this world come to? :D

Anyways I was wondering if there's anyone here who's doing a Pharmacy Practice Residency. If so would you sign up for all those retirement benefits and such at the institution even though you'll only be there for a year? I don't know if that'll be worth it since I can use that money to pay off some of my debts.
Can you transfer these (401k, etc.) to your next place of employment once you're done with your residency?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Ivorymist said:
Wow they just gave me a pharmacy degree. What has this world come to? :D

Anyways I was wondering if there's anyone here who's doing a Pharmacy Practice Residency. If so would you sign up for all those retirement benefits and such at the institution even though you'll only be there for a year? I don't know if that'll be worth it since I can use that money to pay off some of my debts.
Can you transfer these (401k, etc.) to your next place of employment once you're done with your residency?

Any thoughts?

Hey, congratulations to you! :)

I, too, just graduated :eek: and will be starting a pharmacy practice residency as well. I had the same questions you just asked, but I haven't done much research on this. I'm suppose to talk to my fiance's brother about all this financial stuff. Anyhow, I do know that you can transfer your 401k to your new employment so I would definitely go for the investments, but the website that I went to (I went to about.com where they had pretty comprehensive information) stated that you need to DIRECTLY transfer to a new account and not take it out into your own bank account because you'll get penalized for doing it.

Hope that helped somewhat.