Best approach to offset downward GPA (illness), 3.4cpa, 3.5sgpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ariiiibar1021

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could use some advice on how to best proceed to get into a US MD/DO med school. I just graduated but still need Ochem, biochem, and the MCAT. I am taking ochem1/lab (6 credits) now and doing my best to get an A. I will take biochem in the spring, and hopefully the MCAT in June. i am not planning on taking ochem 2.

I have some great semesters, and some very poor ones. I finished college pretty badly, with a large downward trend. I was diagnosed with a chronic autoimmune condition in college, and it would flare up on and off. My last year, it got pretty bad and I received a second diagnosis. This is seen in the gradual then sudden performance decline jr/sr year. The illnesses, fatigue they caused, and missed class time due to them were the primary hurdle in my success at the end of college. My pre-reqs/science classes were largely completed my Soph/Jr years.

Freshman GPA 3.81, 3.26 (diagnosed here then treated)
Sophomore GPA 4.0, 3.97 (2 summer classes- 4.00, gen chem 1/stats)
Junior GPA 3.61, 3.46, (1 summer class-2.0, gen chem 2)
Senior GPA (all non-science) 2.9, 3.15, (2 summer classes- 2.15 summer)
Cumulative: 3.4c, 3.5-3.6sgpa
Currently: Ochem/lab, biochem, 1 gen ed.

I think I have the illness under control now and am doing my best to get A's in my current classes. My science GPA is around a 3.5-3.6, cumulative 3.4. My sGPA would be higher but I got a C in gen chem 2, which brought it down. I have lots of research experience, presented at a national conference, did research that a doctor is using in a book he is publishing, and have the standard shadowing, clinical, and work experience.

Will doing well this current year and a very high MCAT score be enough if I apply broadly? Or do I need more classes/an SMP? I am fine with taking more upper level bio classes but funds are limited and I know a Community College is not recommended for GPA repair.

Honest advice on how to proceed or if I am out of luck is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I could use some advice on how to best proceed to get into a US MD/DO med school. I just graduated but still need Ochem, biochem, and the MCAT. I am taking ochem1/lab (6 credits) now and doing my best to get an A. I will take biochem in the spring, and hopefully the MCAT in June. i am not planning on taking ochem 2.

I have some great semesters, and some very poor ones. I finished college pretty badly, with a large downward trend. I was diagnosed with a chronic autoimmune condition in college, and it would flare up on and off. My last year, it got pretty bad and I received a second diagnosis. This is seen in the gradual then sudden performance decline jr/sr year. The illnesses, fatigue they caused, and missed class time due to them were the primary hurdle in my success at the end of college. My pre-reqs/science classes were largely completed my Soph/Jr years.

Freshman GPA 3.81, 3.26 (diagnosed here then treated)
Sophomore GPA 4.0, 3.97 (2 summer classes- 4.00, gen chem 1/stats)
Junior GPA 3.61, 3.46, (1 summer class-2.0, gen chem 2)
Senior GPA (all non-science) 2.9, 3.15, (2 summer classes- 2.15 summer)
Cumulative: 3.4c, 3.5-3.6sgpa
Currently: Ochem/lab, biochem, 1 gen ed.

I think I have the illness under control now and am doing my best to get A's in my current classes. My science GPA is around a 3.5-3.6, cumulative 3.4. My sGPA would be higher but I got a C in gen chem 2, which brought it down. I have lots of research experience, presented at a national conference, did research that a doctor is using in a book he is publishing, and have the standard shadowing, clinical, and work experience.

Will doing well this current year and a very high MCAT score be enough if I apply broadly? Or do I need more classes/an SMP? I am fine with taking more upper level bio classes but funds are limited and I know a Community College is not recommended for GPA repair.

Honest advice on how to proceed or if I am out of luck is appreciated.
Do a DIY post-bac or SMP. There is no getting around this, except maybe at your state school. Downward GPA trends are bad. Poor choice making is also bad...as you should have withdrawn from classes when it looked like your illness was going to tank your GPsAs. That's what Ws are for.

Do a DIY post-bac or SMP. There is no getting around this, except maybe at your state school. Downward GPA trends are bad. Poor choice making is also bad...as you should have withdrawn from classes when it looked like your illness was going to tank your GPsAs. That's what Ws are for.

For a DIY postbac, would you recommend a full course load rather than just the remaining prereqs I need (ochem +biochem)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Full course load. You need to convince Adcoms that your SR year was a fluke, and that you can handle med school.

His early years of college show his academics weren't a fluke. Leave it to a school to suggest more classes, never a surprising answer. The answer is always spend more money taking more classes.

Do well on the MCAT and you'll get into a school. You won't get into Goro's school, his is far to competitive, but you should be fine at the rest.

do I need more classes/an SMP? I am fine with taking more upper level bio classes but funds are limited and I know a Community College is not recommended for GPA repair.
As you have already graduated from college, GPA repair with community college coursework is not off the table since you won't be aiming for highly-selective med schools. I agree with Goro, that you will need more than a few classes to reverse the impression that your downward grade trend took during your senior year. And, don't just "do your best" to get As. Bs will not help repair your GPA.