Best city for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Upstage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if you all could choose which state/city to live in for medical school-- where would it be and why?

For me i'm really interested in being in big cities/states like California(Native),Florida, or New York. My partner is in the marketing/advertising field and we really feel like the big cities will offer us the best opportunities, and fun.

Members don't see this ad.

San Francisco is great, I loved there for 5 years but not 100% sure I would return. It's fun for single young adults but for a family and rent is so expensive. San Diego is awesome too, definitely in my top 3 cities

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
New york because it's the best city in the world and why would you want to live somewhere else?

Reactions: 4 users
Haha, New York winters and that cost of living aren't that great though!

Seattle seems cool, but one thing I don't like is that it's so isolated and not surrounding any cool neighborhood states at all.

Just curious if you all could choose which state/city to live in for medical school-- where would it be and why?

For me i'm really interested in being in big cities/states like California(Native),Florida, or New York. My partner is in the marketing/advertising field and we really feel like the big cities will offer us the best opportunities, and fun.

UCSD has everyone beat :/

As a med student - Boston.
As a human who happens to be in med school - Los Angeles.

Reactions: 5 users
Just gonna throw Chicago in there too, 5 med schools, great city, much cheaper COL than the others listed here.

Although winters are gonna make me wish I was at UCSD :(

I always heard that San Francisco have good schools. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why live somewhere expensive, loud, dirty, malodorous, crowded, and expensive?

Edit: I said expensive twice on purpose

Cause other places are boring
When I'm working 60+ hours per week, peace, quiet, time with the family, and a nice bed is all I need. I was done twerking years ago (and probably should've stopped sooner).

Reactions: 7 users
nicer? idk about that
Personal preference I guess. When I went there there was trash and graffiti everywhere. But everything in Seattle was beautiful. And it wasn't even that rainy when I was there. Plus UW's campus is insane. I saw a Cal UW game and their stadium is one of the nicest stadiums I've ever seen

Somewhere with cheap rent...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why live somewhere expensive, loud, dirty, malodorous, crowded, and expensive?

Edit: I said expensive twice on purpose
I've been living in a smaller, cheap, uncrowded and cheap city for 5 years now and I'm so tired of it. That probably won't be the case in 10 years, but I'm super happy to be moving to a big city for med school.

Reactions: 3 users
New york because it's the best city in the world and why would you want to live somewhere else?
Re5mL.gif

New York City because **** you that's why.

San Francisco, San Diego, LA, DC, Boston, NYC. I've been in all of them for at least several months and they were all outstanding for different reasons. All are expensive though and the NE has cold winters.
If you're on a tight budget, I'd skip all of these.

--
Il Destriero

Last edited:
What are the cons? I've always viewed Seattle as a cleaner nicer SF
  • Housing shortage and rent control is illegal. My rent has gone up ~12% (as in exponentially, not just arithmetically) each year and I don't even live in King County.
  • Everything is very expensive. I went down to Portland a few weeks ago and my dollar went 2-3x as far on food alone which was surprising since Portland is also a big city.
  • Large homeless/mentally ill population without the infrastructure to support them.
  • Massive heroin problem due to drug runners causing an epidemic in nearby Everett.
  • Lots of riots per year (and May Day is just around the corner!) which really sucks if you work evening shift and just want to go home.
  • Poor public transit programs. My commute can vary from 30mins to 2 hours soley based on luck of the draw of what the buses are doing that day.
    • Buses sometimes just don't show up during scheduled off-peak windows.
    • There's also no "accordion" effect at the end of a bus's route to absorb delayed buses by just kicking out a "stored" bus. The if a bus hits a massive amount of traffic, it's still expected to make all of its future pickups albeit 40-60 mins late which doesn't really help anyone.
  • TRAFFIC
    • Seattle grew a lot faster than the civil engineers of the 20th century predicted and as a result, the roads just kind of got strewn about.
    • Fish truck
    • Crab truck
    • Propane truck
    • There are more trucks, but they weren't in Seattle proper, but they'll still affect your commute massively.
    • Mercer is a mess and for some reason the syncing of the lights is backwards and throws a few miles into gridlock every now and then.
  • The weather can actually be extremely depressing for months on end. It feels like it shouldn't take as much of a toll as it does, but man it can get to you.

The city you get accepted to a school in

Reactions: 18 users
Haha, New York winters and that cost of living aren't that great though!

Seattle seems cool, but one thing I don't like is that it's so isolated and not surrounding any cool neighborhood states at all.

Portland, OR and Vancouver, BC are pretty cool and an easy drive or Amtrak ride away.

Somewhere with cheap rent...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 to this. Rust belt cities like Pittsburgh and Cleveland have some surprisingly fun spots, and housing at less than half the price of most of the cities mentioned in this thread.

Reactions: 1 user
The weather can actually be extremely depressing for months on end. It feels like it shouldn't take as much of a toll as it does, but man it can get to you.
I love Seattle but THIS is very true

From June-September: I think Seattle is the most beautiful place in the damn country and can't picture living anywhere else. The hiking is beautiful, sailing on Lake Washington, everything is stunning and the weather is gorgeous.
From October/November-April or so: get me the hell out of here

• Housing shortage and rent control is illegal. My rent has gone up ~12% (as in exponentially, not just arithmetically) each year and I don't even live in King County.
  • Everything is very expensive. I went down to Portland a few weeks ago and my dollar went 2-3x as far on food alone which was surprising since Portland is also a big city.
  • Large homeless/mentally ill population without the infrastructure to support them.
  • Massive heroin problem due to drug runners causing an epidemic in nearby Everett.
  • Lots of riots per year (and May Day is just around the corner!) which really sucks if you work evening shift and just want to go home.
  • Poor public transit programs. My commute can vary from 30mins to 2 hours soley based on luck of the draw of what the buses are doing that day.
    • Buses sometimes just don't show up during scheduled off-peak windows.
    • There's also no "accordion" effect at the end of a bus's route to absorb delayed buses by just kicking out a "stored" bus. The if a bus hits a massive amount of traffic, it's still expected to make all of its future pickups albeit 40-60 mins late which doesn't really help anyone.
  • TRAFFIC
    • Seattle grew a lot faster than the civil engineers of the 20th century predicted and as a result, the roads just kind of got strewn about.
    • Fish truck
    • Crab truck
    • Propane truck
    • There are more trucks, but they weren't in Seattle proper, but they'll still affect your commute massively.
    • Mercer is a mess and for some reason the syncing of the lights is backwards and throws a few miles into gridlock every now and then.
  • The weather can actually be extremely depressing for months on end. It feels like it shouldn't take as much of a toll as it does, but man it can get to you.
Hmm I guess I romanticized it in my head after I was there for a week haha but thanks for the perspective! I've always considered possibly living there after residency but that's all good to know

Hmm I guess I romanticized it in my head after I was there for a week haha but thanks for the perspective! I've always considered possibly living there after residency but that's all good to know
My two cents is that it's still a great place to live but maybe I'm being too naive (I've lived here my whole life so I don't have enough perspective I'm sure)

I've always been interested in Miami. Seems like it's unlike anywhere else in America.

I regret not applying to any NYC schools I think going to med school there would have been super badass. I don't want to live there for longer than 4 years though.

Reactions: 2 users
Nashville, of course - great music and sports scene, a ton of outdoor activities within an hour's drive, low cost of living, plus a vibrant medical environment

My two cents is that it's still a great place to live but maybe I'm being too naive (I've lived here my whole life so I don't have enough perspective I'm sure)
Yeah I may have come across a little biased since I was only asked for a con list and not a pro list. I like it just fine, but I totally get (most, not all) of people's gripes. I'm not exactly a grumble grumble type, unless I haven't had my coffee.

AND GUESS WHO FORGOT TO SET THE DAMN COFFEE ALARM.

Personal preference I guess. When I went there there was trash and graffiti everywhere. But everything in Seattle was beautiful. And it wasn't even that rainy when I was there. Plus UW's campus is insane. I saw a Cal UW game and their stadium is one of the nicest stadiums I've ever seen
TBF The stadium is brand spanking new (although you can't beat that real estate, OOF). UW is gorgeous as a whole though. On a sunny day I swear it's one of the most beautiful sights in the US.

... Go Dawgs

Reactions: 3 users
I regret not applying to any NYC schools I think going to med school there would have been super badass. I don't want to live there for longer than 4 years though.

Yeah, I understand that NYC is not a suitable place to settle down and raise a family, but I can't imagine a cooler place to spend your twenties while becoming a doctor.

Not sure you're missing much. Seattle is just a cleaner, saner, less intense NY. You have the traffic, ridiculous COL and crappy weather covered already.

Seattle is my dream place. Had this seafood there I still remember 5 years later lol

Not sure you're missing much. Seattle is just a cleaner, saner, less intense NY. You have the traffic, ridiculous COL and crappy weather covered already.

Seattle is my dream place. Had this seafood there I still remember 5 years later lol

Some people love the intensity though. It's definitely not for everyone but the appeal is pretty obvious to me. It's pretty unique to be in a place where literally every culture/country is heavily represented, that's the best thing about NY imo.

Some people love the intensity though. It's definitely not for everyone but the appeal is pretty obvious to me. It's pretty unique to be in a place where literally every culture/country is heavily represented, that's the best thing about NY imo.
yes for a week or two...or even a month, but everyday?

The one close to my family and SO. Easy. Next question.

LA, NYC (because of Broadway), San Fran, Boston. In that order.

Personally I absolutely hate the mega cities and could never see myself being happy in NY, LA, or Chiacago.

A nice mid sized city in the south or maybe Midwest is ideal.