This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Brownskinladae

Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I am planning to start a private practice in the DC, Maryland, or Virginia area. I am undecided about whether to start a fee-for-service or insurance-based practice. I am leaning towards trying my luck with fee-for-service initially. It would seem that I would need to find an area with the greatest demand for psychiatrists, but I also need to find a location with patients who are able to afford fee-for-service. Most psychiatrists in this area do not accept insurance. Does anyone have any familiarity with this area? Any help with finding an ideal location in this area would be greatly appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I am planning to start a private practice in the DC, Maryland, or Virginia area. I am undecided about whether to start a fee-for-service or insurance-based practice. I am leaning towards trying my luck with fee-for-service initially. It would seem that I would need to find an area with the greatest demand for psychiatrists, but I also need to find a location with patients who are able to afford fee-for-service. Most psychiatrists in this area do not accept insurance. Does anyone have any familiarity with this area? Any help with finding an ideal location in this area would be greatly appreciated.

On the Maryland side, Bethesda/Rockville, Potomac and Chevy Chase are good bets for areas where people have the means to pay. In Virginia, Arlington/Falls Church, McLean/Tyson's Corner, Langley, Fairfax/Vienna. In DC, Northwest generally.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the Maryland side, Bethesda/Rockville, Potomac and Chevy Chase are good bets for areas where people have the means to pay. In Virginia, Arlington/Falls Church, McLean/Tyson's Corner, Langley, Fairfax/Vienna. In DC, Northwest generally.

Is there a problem with saturation in these sort of well to do areas?
 
That's the same thing I was wondering. I know those are wealthy areas, but they also seem to have many psychiatrists.

I'm in San Francisco, so I can only speak to this area...but from what I can tell there's enough of a shortage that even expensive cash pay practices have (small) waiting lists.

I'm only an M3 and the above observation is only based on a hearsay, so I would be curious to know about other areas as well.