Best location for private practice in the DMV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brownskinladae

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am planning to start a private practice in the DC, Maryland, or Virginia area. I am undecided about whether to start a fee-for-service or insurance-based practice. I am leaning towards trying my luck with fee-for-service initially. It would seem that I would need to find an area with the greatest demand for psychiatrists, but I also need to find a location with patients who are able to afford fee-for-service. Most psychiatrists in this area do not accept insurance. Does anyone have any familiarity with this area? Any help with finding an ideal location in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I saw this, I assumed it meant the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. Now that would be a good word of mouth/visibility location.

Reactions: 6 users
Hello everyone,

I am planning to start a private practice in the DC, Maryland, or Virginia area. I am undecided about whether to start a fee-for-service or insurance-based practice. I am leaning towards trying my luck with fee-for-service initially. It would seem that I would need to find an area with the greatest demand for psychiatrists, but I also need to find a location with patients who are able to afford fee-for-service. Most psychiatrists in this area do not accept insurance. Does anyone have any familiarity with this area? Any help with finding an ideal location in this area would be greatly appreciated.

On the Maryland side, Bethesda/Rockville, Potomac and Chevy Chase are good bets for areas where people have the means to pay. In Virginia, Arlington/Falls Church, McLean/Tyson's Corner, Langley, Fairfax/Vienna. In DC, Northwest generally.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
On the Maryland side, Bethesda/Rockville, Potomac and Chevy Chase are good bets for areas where people have the means to pay. In Virginia, Arlington/Falls Church, McLean/Tyson's Corner, Langley, Fairfax/Vienna. In DC, Northwest generally.

Is there a problem with saturation in these sort of well to do areas?

By fee for service, I assume you mean cash payment; insurance practice and cash are both FFS. I guess, if you really wanted to, you could try to make a capitated agreement with an insurance company. I don't think that would go very well.

That's the same thing I was wondering. I know those are wealthy areas, but they also seem to have many psychiatrists.

I'm in San Francisco, so I can only speak to this area...but from what I can tell there's enough of a shortage that even expensive cash pay practices have (small) waiting lists.

I'm only an M3 and the above observation is only based on a hearsay, so I would be curious to know about other areas as well.

The area is certainly not saturated, especially if you do C/A.

Reactions: 1 user