Best plan for gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDDS_1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there!

So I applied this cycle for dental school and have not heard back from any schools. I only applied to 4 because I was new to the process, but I am planning on applying to more this coming cycle. I was looking for programs that would take my DAT scores and not the GRE. My question was for my gap year should I:

1. Go for the UTD Certificate of Biomedical Sciences Program (I got accepted)
2. Do a Masters at UH-Clearlake, it is close to home and does not require GRE
3. Do a Post Bacc. at UH since it is closer to home

I also applied to the Texas A&M PBP Program, but still waiting on a response from them.

My oGPA: 3.6
My sGPA: 3.4
DAT: 17AA my first time and 18AA my second time

Any response will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there!

So I applied this cycle for dental school and have not heard back from any schools. I only applied to 4 because I was new to the process, but I am planning on applying to more this coming cycle. I was looking for programs that would take my DAT scores and not the GRE. My question was for my gap year should I:

I also applied to the Texas A&M PBP Program, but still waiting on a response from them.

Do not do a single program. The only thing you should do is:

-Find a job (doesn’t have to be dental-related)
-Continue racking up those volunteer hours
-Retake DAT
-Shadowing (this is optional, depending on how many hours you already have + if you’d like to continue doing it just for the experience)

Your cGPA and sGPA are already competitive enough to get in.

Also, apply to at least 10+ schools next time and find out their stats/info on how many OOS students a school accepts. This can be found on ADEA Dental explorer with a subscription for $25 lasting 1 year.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello there!

don't do a masters or postbacc
can you get a higher DAT score if you try again?
were any sections below 17 on your second try?

Reactions: 1 users

-Retake DAT
-Shadowing (this is optional, depending on how many hours you already have + if you’d like to continue doing it just for the experience)

Also, apply to at least 10+ schools next time and find out their stats/info on how many OOS students a school accepts. This can be found on ADEA Dental explorer with a subscription for $25 lasting 1 year.
This 100%.

your time and money is best utilized studying for the DAT. The GPA is solid (so you don’t need a masters or post bacc) and if you can score 20+ on the DAT you will get in somewhere if you apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
seconding what was already said with another suggestion. Don’t do school, spend lots of time and money on DAT prep, retake and crush. Get a research position either at your university or elsewhere. It doesn’t have to be paid just get yourself in a lab, aim for a publication, conferences, etc. If not it’s fine just get the experience. This will open doors for you at research obsessed schools.

Reactions: 1 user

-Retake DAT

Thank you! I appreciate it!

don't do a masters or postbacc
can you get a higher DAT score if you try again?
were any sections below 17 on your second try?
I am definitely planning a retake, I did have only one section under 17 and that was a 15QR :cryi:, but I have multiple under 17 on my first try.

seconding what was already said with another suggestion. Don’t do school, spend lots of time and money on DAT prep, retake and crush. Get a research position either at your university or elsewhere. It doesn’t have to be paid just get yourself in a lab, aim for a publication, conferences, etc. If not it’s fine just get the experience. This will open doors for you at research obsessed schools.
Thank you!

Hello there!

agreed with everyone else. Your time and money is spent 10x better in simply re-taking the DAT, aim for at least a 21AA and apply to more schools and you should be solid.

I would also reach out to UTH dental school and see if they have any recommendations for your gap year. If you are close enough, I would try to find a position inside of the school itself whether an assistant or something else as you will be able to be more familiar with faculty, interviewers etc. We had a student like that who worked as oral surgery coordinator while re-taking her DAT, she got in and its valuable experience being in the field as well.

Reactions: 1 user