Best use of time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akuko2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a MS1 AF HPSPer. I'm doing consistently above the avg of my class on exams, and my friend and I are thinking about starting a club in my medical school. Other than that, I have yet to get involved in research, but I have had enough time to workout, keep volunteering at the church I go to, and spend time with my wife. I feel like I'm in a pretty good rhythm but sometimes I get anxious because I'm not sure if I should push to do research or some other activity to put on my CV; other times I feel as if I'm just being too insecure and that there is not much else I can do as an MS1 to really make a difference. Do y'all have any opinions on what else I should do, or should I just relax?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm a MS1 AF HPSPer. I'm doing consistently above the avg of my class on exams, and my friend and I are thinking about starting a club in my medical school. Other than that, I have yet to get involved in research, but I have had enough time to workout, keep volunteering at the church I go to, and spend time with my wife. I feel like I'm in a pretty good rhythm but sometimes I get anxious because I'm not sure if I should push to do research or some other activity to put on my CV; other times I feel as if I'm just being too insecure and that there is not much else I can do as an MS1 to really make a difference. Do y'all have any opinions on what else I should do, or should I just relax?
You should do research. The military, both in the official GME points system and (in my experience) unofficially is disproportionately impressed by a couple of publications. Studying more is great, but the amount of extra studying you would need to do to significantly change you chances in the match is a whole different lifestyle. Research, on the other hand, can be a pretty small commitment.

Its not a lot of hours, no more than two or three weeks of solid work for a publication. It is, on the other hand, a lot of days. Like at least 18 months between the day you start and the day you can list a publication on your CV. Find someone who is willing to hand you an IRB to write and a chart review to do. Just ask the head of whatever department you feel most likely to apply to at this particular moment. If they can't find anyone move on to another department. I was initially planning to do ortho, but my first paper was in Peds Heme/Onc because that was the attending who had a project ready to go (which was nice because I ended up doing Peds). Also always feel free to ask if anyone has a case study they need help writing, since that's the easiest path to publication.

Do not under any circumstances do bench research. That way lies madness. Also you'll never publish in time for the match. Activities in medical school don't affect your match at all, so only do them if you get some personal satisfaction out of them.

Reactions: 1 users
You should do research. The military, both in the official GME points system and (in my experience) unofficially is disproportionately impressed by a couple of publications. Studying more is great, but the amount of extra studying you would need to do to significantly change you chances in the match is a whole different lifestyle. Research, on the other hand, can be a pretty small commitment.

Its not a lot of hours, no more than two or three weeks of solid work for a publication. It is, on the other hand, a lot of days. Like at least 18 months between the day you start and the day you can list a publication on your CV. Find someone who is willing to hand you an IRB to write and a chart review to do. Just ask the head of whatever department you feel most likely to apply to at this particular moment. If they can't find anyone move on to another department. I was initially planning to do ortho, but my first paper was in Peds Heme/Onc because that was the attending who had a project ready to go (which was nice because I ended up doing Peds). Also always feel free to ask if anyone has a case study they need help writing, since that's the easiest path to publication.

Do not under any circumstances do bench research. That way lies madness. Also you'll never publish in time for the match. Activities in medical school don't affect your match at all, so only do them if you get some personal satisfaction out of them.
Hey I'm in the OP shoes also. From your advice, it seems that you're recommending clinical research over bench research. Is that correct? I have the opportunity to do either bench research or clinical research from where I am at. I'm strongly leaning towards doing clinical research. Also, what's your advice on the summer after first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I'm in the OP shoes also. From your advice, it seems that you're recommending clinical research over bench research. Is that correct? I have the opportunity to do either bench research or clinical research from where I am at. I'm strongly leaning towards doing clinical research. Also, what's your advice on the summer after first year?
Yes, I would recommend clinical research, ideally retrospective chart reviews. Really I am recommending you only do a project you are reasonably sure you can submit for publication within 18 months and that doesn't take up more than a few hours per week. If there is some kind of bench research that you think meets that goal then go for it, that's just less likely than finding a good case report or chart review project.

Do you have a choice about the summer after first year? Don't you have to do some kind of military training?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a choice about the summer after first year? Don't you have to do some kind of military training?

Ordinarily I think that's the case, but the majority of AFHPSP students from my school have (at least for the past few years) attended COT immediately following STEP 1.