Best Volunteer work to do while being a non-science UG student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NormanJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Okay. So i'll get straight to the point.
Currently i'm a finance student, (didn't take any science class since high school) Will finish my bachelors in may of 2017. I will do a post-Bacc in pre-med after I finish my bachelors. I will try to take few classes here and there during summer. I'm planing on doing some volunteer work this year.
I just got 2 questions:
1) How long do you recommend I do it for? (I never did any Volunteer work before do to health reasons)
2) The following are the openings at my local hospital. which of these are 'Best" for med school?
  • Information Desk
  • Nursing Units
  • Day Surgery & Pre-op Waiting Rooms
  • Materials Management
  • Clerical Assistance
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanistic side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Successful applicants tend to have > 100 hrs in each endeavor ( clinical and non-clinical)

The two I have highlighted in red below are the worst possible choices.

Hey,
Okay. So i'll get straight to the point.
Currently i'm a finance student, (didn't take any science class since high school) Will finish my bachelors in may of 2017. I will do a post-Bacc in pre-med after I finish my bachelors. I will try to take few classes here and there during summer. I'm planing on doing some volunteer work this year.
I just got 2 questions:
1) How long do you recommend I do it for? (I never did any Volunteer work before do to health reasons)
2) The following are the openings at my local hospital. which of these are 'Best" for med school?
  • Information Desk
  • Nursing Units
  • Day Surgery & Pre-op Waiting Rooms
  • Materials Management
  • Clerical Assistance
Thank you in advance.

What Goro said. Hospice dude. We are always looking for quality volunteers. Volunteer coordinators try to keep you in the general area of where you live. They don't require an ungodly amount of hours a week and it really helps gain perspective. I know for our hospice we just ask for one hour a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to put a shameless plus for working with ESL students!

Reactions: 1 user
Become an EMT. You can volunteer doing that and it opens up more ED and clinic volunteer opportunities. Most clinics don't want someone who can't take vitals and get a very basic history while checking the patient in.

Also, any chance you can switch majors now? Why bother doing another 1.5 years of finance if you dont plan to use it? Post bacc is a long road.