Better than Chocolate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is changing out of dress clothes a spiritual experience for you?

• Undoubtedly.

Votes: 49 57.0%
  • No....?

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • I legitimately enjoy wearing dress clothes, and I am a rare unicorn of a human being.

Votes: 25 29.1%

• Total voters

ekmf27050

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick survey for my fellow premeds on the interview trail. Let me set the scene:

You woke up early in the morning, and went through the awkward choreography of putting on your "conservative applicant" costume: dress pants/dress skirt, formal top, blazer, pantyhose/dress socks, uncomfortable shoes, formal hairstyle.

By the end of your 8-hour interview day, your clothes are now slightly sweaty and they seem somehow even more restrictive.

But then, the moment comes. You're in the airport, or getting ready for the drive home, but first you maneuver your way into the biggest bathroom stall you can find. You slither out of the dress clothes and finally get to put on your travel outfit of choice-- for me, leggings and a soft cotton t-shirt, my most comfortable tennis shoes, and a ponytail.

The question: Is this moment actually better than drugs/sex/chocolate for other people, or do I just have an unusual aversion to slightly sweaty, non-stretchy dress clothes?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Am no longer at the pre-med phase, but I can relate to this feeling both as an applicant and now! I started working from home about a year ago, so wear comfy clothes / yoga pants / hoodies most days. I think this has only intensified the aversion to dress clothes. When I need to leave the house for a meeting or other event, it takes me twice as long to pick out an outfit and it still feels wonderful to come home put stretchy clothes back on!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
, Is this moment actually better than chocolate

Disagree. Nothing is better than chocolate

tumblr_ns6cghk90e1sial0xo1_500.gif

Reactions: 18 users
I normally change right outside the admissions office before I even head over to the airport. That is how desperate I am to get out of my suit by the end of the interview. Taking off my suit provides the sort of instant gratification I typically associate with eating Lindor truffles, opening Amazon packages, and peeling that glue stuff from the back of gift cards. #noshame

Is is the clothes or is it the situation? It seems like "dress clothes" are a costume for you. Something you put on for appearances. Prior to med school I had a career where I wore shirt and tie or suit every day. While it isn't uncomfortable, there is something ritualistic about taking them off after a long day - a way to officially end the day. But this is nothing new. Heck, even Mr Rogers spent the first two minutes of every show taking off his loafers and putting on his 'educate and chill' sweater.

I normally change right outside the admissions office before I even head over to the airport. That is how desperate I am to get out of my suit by the end of the interview. Taking off my suit provides the sort of instant gratification I typically associate with eating Lindor truffles, opening Amazon packages, and peeling that glue stuff from the back of gift cards. #noshame
Exactly. You know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: 1 user
Is is the clothes or is it the situation? It seems like "dress clothes" are a costume for you. Something you put on for appearances. Prior to med school I had a career where I wore shirt and tie or suit every day. While it isn't uncomfortable, there is something ritualistic about taking them off after a long day - a way to officially end the day. But this is nothing new. Heck, even Mr Rogers spent the first two minutes of every show taking off his loafers and putting on his 'educate and chill' sweater.
I call it the "conservative applicant costume" because I would generally never wear those clothes for other situations. My current job usually requires scrubs, but when I do dress up, it's black pants and a nicer cotton top with loafers, not a skirt suit with pantyhose and heels :dead:

So, to answer your question, it's the clothes that make the moment of changing so magical. It's the interview situation that occasionally makes me fall asleep in the uber on the way back to the airport :sleep:

Am I the only one whose interview suit is actually pretty comfy?? I drove 5 hours to home in mine :p (minus the jacket)

As a male it's unbuckling my belt that feels so good... It's so constricting. That moment you get back to the hotel, throw off your jacket and tie, then unbuckle, yeah, that feels pretty good.

But it's neither better than sex nor certain drugs, but chocolate? Yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a male it's unbuckling my belt that feels so good... It's so constricting. That moment you get back to the hotel, throw off your jacket and tie, then unbuckle, yeah, that feels pretty good.

But it's neither better than sex nor certain drugs, but chocolate? Yes.
Or brushing your leg hair back up after taking dress socks off. Absolutely exquisite.

Last edited:
I love dressing up, but I've become more of a fan of comfy clothes (aka scrubs) in my everyday life. I will say that it feels nice to take off the makeup and heels at the end of the day. That said, it's not even close to the joy of sex and chocolate. And Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The question: Is this moment actually better than drugs/sex/chocolate for other people, or do I just have an unusual aversion to slightly sweaty, non-stretchy dress clothes?

Kinda understand. I was in a performance group in college and we wore tux for every show. I absolutely adore the moment I can start to remove my 7-piece set one by one.

Also depends on what kind of chocolate. White, definitely. Milk, meh. Dark, nope.

I love dressing up, but I've become more of a fan of comfy clothes (aka scrubs) in my everyday life. I will say that it feels nice to take off the makeup and heels at the end of the day. That said, it's not even close to the joy of sex and chocolate. And Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I like dressing up sometimes, but I like my nice dresses and not my conservative skirt suit/pantyhose combo.

As for Netflix.... just weigh Netflix + giant comfy sweats >>> Netflix + dress clothes :laugh:

Chocolate?
I'm allergic to it.

Sex?
Never had it.

Drugs?
Have only used antibiotics and over the counter medicines.

There's only one part of dress clothing I hate with a passion and that's a tie. I can't stand something tight against my neck. So unless it's required or strongly expected I skip the tie entirely

Chocolate?
I'm allergic to it.

Sex?
Never had it.

Drugs?
Have only used antibiotics and over the counter medicines.
Hey, now, nothing in the world is better than antibiotics when you have a nasty upper respiratory bacterial infection. No more feeling like someone's dragged a knife down the back of your throat, being able to lay down and still breathe... pretty good stuff. Maybe better than sex, chocolate, AND getting out of my interview suit all rolled together.

In other news, I finally found a pant suit that fit well today. The days of interviewing in pantyhose are over!!! I can now be more comfortable in my interview suit!!! :biglove::biglove::biglove:

Reactions: 2 users
After my interviews, I like to go to buy beer and fried chicken. It is sort of a tradition.

The feeling of being a 6'0'' dude dressed fresh to death while eating celebratory fried chicken and drinking a forty ounce is just... bliss

Literally hauled a** through the airport this week to get changed before my flight boarded because I couldn't stand the thought of traveling in my interview suit... :unsure:

Story time: I returned to the hotel after my interview to get my belongings, saw a fellow interviewee at the hotel, started chatting with her, and lost track of time for a while. I realized I didn't have time to change out of my suit and decided that I'd change at the airport if I had time. I rushed to the bus stop to take the bus to the airport, but the bus didn't stop because it was full. I had to get a Lyft to the airport during rush hour. Fortunately my driver knew his way around town and I arrived at the airport with just an hour before departure. There was an enormous line in front of security, and when I finally got to the front, I took out my wallet, and realized my driver's license wasn't there. I thought I had left it at the school when they were signing me in and taking my picture, and I sort of died inside. I panicked, stepped aside to let others go ahead, and finally found my license in another part of my pocket. After getting through security, I power-walked through the terminal, and when I got to my gate the last few passengers were boarding. One of the flight attendants made fun of me (and rightfully so) for wearing a suit onboard a three-hour flight. After the flight, I tipped my Lyft driver $25.

Last edited:
One of the flight attendants made fun of me (and rightfully so) for wearing a suit onboard a three-hour flight.
"(Laughs) Yeah, I look kind of ridiculous, don't I? Could be worse, though. I could be dressed like a flight attendant."

Last edited:
Story time: I returned to the hotel after my interview to get my belongings, saw a fellow interviewee at the hotel, started chatting with her, and lost track of time for a while. I realized I didn't have time to change out of my suit and decided that I'd change at the airport if I had time. I rushed to the bus stop to take the bus to the airport, but the bus didn't stop because it was full. I had to get a Lyft to the airport during rush hour. Fortunately my driver knew his way around town and I arrived at the airport with just an hour before departure. There was an enormous line in front of security, and when I finally got to the front, I took out my wallet, and realized my driver's license wasn't there. I thought I had left it at the school when they were signing me in and taking my picture, and I sort of died inside. I panicked, stepped aside to let others go ahead, and finally found my license in another part of my pocket. After getting through security, I power-walked through the terminal, and when I got to my gate the last few passengers were boarding. One of the flight attendants made fun of me (and rightfully so) for wearing a suit onboard a three-hour flight. After the flight, I tipped my Lyft driver $25.
Oh god that's my nightmare. I would probably try to change in the airplane bathroom and end up dislocating something.

"(Laughs) Yeah, I look kind of ridiculous, don't I? Could be worse, though. I could be dressed like a flight attendant."
:laugh: That's how you get the bad peanuts instead of the good peanuts

I spilled some salsa on my favorite tie while eating after an interview, and expected to have to throw it out. After letting it hang in my closet for a few days, I can't find a stain anywhere on the damn thing, and I am really paranoid that I am just missing it and will unknowingly wear a salsa stained tie to my next interview.
Adcom discussion: "He's the perfect candidate, but SALSA on his TIE?! Can't do it." :laugh:

My advice is a good handwashing and then looking at it in daylight. I have missed quite a few stains by only looking at things in indoor light!

I was glad to see a lot of people enjoy wearing dress clothes! :rolleyes: