Bio Education Major good or bad for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlaybourn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a biology education major with a minor in physical science education. Here are what I perceive as being pros:
1. I'll learn to work with kids and get experience working with kids. I'm pretty sure I want to be a pediatrician.
2. I'll have a clear career path if I decide not to go into medicine
3. I'm passionate about teaching and medicine, so I'll be happy either way
4. I'll get most of my prerequisites done(biology, chemistry, one semester of o chem and one semester of biochem) while also getting experience with something outside of medicine
Here's what I'm concerned about
1. I'll have to prepare for three PRAXIS exams while also preparing for the MCAT
2. I won't have time for calculus. I have taken college algebra and trigonometry. Can I get into medical school without calculus if I've taken those two classes and two physics classes? I don't really want to take calculus anyway because I struggle with math and I'm afraid it would ruin my GPA. I only got a C in College Algebra and a C+ in Trig. Will I be prepared for the MCAT without calc?

I've taken a few other classes not required for my major that I feel should help prepare me for medical school, like psychology, ethics, and human anatomy. Is one semester each of o chem and biochem enough? Will being an education major help set me apart from other applicants even though it is science teaching? Should I change to just regular biochemistry? I'd really like some insight into this; I'm feeling very uncertain about what to major in and how to best prepare for medical school without focusing my entire college career on preparing for medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Medical schools will not really care what your major is, as long as you meet the pre-requisites. They will care about your GPA. Having a plan B is good to some extent, but it should not detract from your plan A.

You will have to look at individual schools to see if they have a calculus requirement. I believe most do not require it, and some accept stats in its place. It is not necessary for the MCAT. In my opinion some of the physics is easier if you understand its basis in calculus, but it is definitely not necessary. Though I don't really understand how you say you don't have time for calculus -- It is a one semester course.

One semester of O-chem and one of biochem is typically sufficient, but again, you have to check with individual schools. Anatomy is not necessary. You will learn it in medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I guess I should say I don't feel like I have time for calculus...or stats. My school requires us to make and update grad plans every semester, and all of my remaining semesters have 14 or 15 credits planned, and I think I'd be very overwhelmed if I added a 4 credit math class to that. The exception is my student teaching semester, should I take calc or stats then?

Members don't see this ad :)
There isn't a single course you could swap out for calc? Or move a course to a different semester, so you have a heavier but easier load, and take calc in a lighter semester?

But I honestly have no idea what percentage of schools require it, or if it is worth it for you to take calc. I took it so I didn't pay attention to who required it. Someone else can probably answer that question for you. In other words, I'm not saying it's a good idea for you to take calc, I'm just doubting that it's impossible to fit it in.

I also don't know anything a student teaching semester so I don't know if that is a good time for it.

Reactions: 1 user
There isn't a single course you could swap out for calc? Or move a course to a different semester, so you have a heavier but easier load, and take calc in a lighter semester?

But I honestly have no idea what percentage of schools require it, or if it is worth it for you to take calc. I took it so I didn't pay attention to who required it. Someone else can probably answer that question for you. In other words, I'm not saying it's a good idea for you to take calc, I'm just doubting that it's impossible to fit it in.

I also don't know anything a student teaching semester so I don't know if that is a good time for it.

It's not impossible, but it's highly improbable. Many of the courses required for the program are only taught every other semester or once every three semesters so it's hard to move them around. I guess I probably just won't worry about it for now.

Well, I guess I should say I don't feel like I have time for calculus...or stats. My school requires us to make and update grad plans every semester, and all of my remaining semesters have 14 or 15 credits planned, and I think I'd be very overwhelmed if I added a 4 credit math class to that. The exception is my student teaching semester, should I take calc or stats then?
17 or 18 credits a semester is a perfectly normal schedule for many people. 15 a semester is the bare minimum to graduate on time at my school. The workload of medical school will be significantly higher than 14-15 credits.

Reactions: 1 users