BIO question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lonely Sol

cowgoesmoo fan!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, this is not from any books or tests, but i was just wondering anyone here knows the answer to this two questions:

1. If there is a blockage in the artery, would the arteriol pressure increase or decrease, why?

2. As tempreature of the water rises, would the oxygen content of water increase or decrease. For example, would it make it easier for a fish to breath or harder?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, this is not from any books or tests, but i was just wondering anyone here knows the answer to this two questions:

1. If there is a blockage in the artery, would the arteriol pressure increase or decrease, why?

2. As tempreature of the water rises, would the oxygen content of water increase or decrease. For example, would it make it easier for a fish to breath or harder?

Just taking a stab here on the 2...

1. Since the arteries lead into arterioles (that is blood flows from arteries to arterioles) and there is a blockage in the artery than it seems logical that the arteriole pressure would decrease. Like putting a plug in a water pipe, the side that builds up pressure is the side that the water is flowing from and the other side would subsequently decrease in pressure. Just a guess, but sounds logical

2. I would make this analogy to CO2 in pop. At colder temps, more CO2 (gas) can diffuse into the liquid, while at warmer temps more gas releases from the liquid. (ie cold pop is more carbonated, warm pop is flat). Id assume it is same with O2 and water. But again, just taking a stab.

The cross sectional area (or whatever its called) gets smaller with blockage. i think it'll increase, its like when you have high cholesterol, blood pressure goes up. hope that helped

As water temperature increases O2 dissolved in water decreases. It has something to do with kinetics and the fact that as you add heat to lakes and rivers O2 molecules precipitate out of water. This is a very big problem in industrial areas where power plants use rivers to cool down there generators and as a result cause the water temperatures to rise 5 to 10 degrees harming animal life and increase algae growth. Isotope O18 tracing is also used by scientists in the polar ice cap regions in order to obtain those crazy charts you see for global warming. They use O2 trapped in ice from thousands of years ago to test the temperature of the earth back then. In fact Al Gores movie “an inconvenient truth” explains all of this. I personal recommend every one sees it, and honestly im not one of those nature freaks, but the movie really puts things in prospective.

Members don't see this ad :)
arteriole pressure would increase I believe as a result of greater osmotic resistance thus it would increase the force the heart has to pump at. Greater force of stroke volume means increased pressure on the entire arterial system regardless of the blockage. too many burger king woppers will do this to you along with those honey bun's from vending machines..... 500 calories!!!!!!! per bun!:luck:

The cross sectional area (or whatever its called) gets smaller with blockage. i think it'll increase, its like when you have high cholesterol, blood pressure goes up. hope that helped

BP will go up but the question is will the arterioles pressure go up. I think camaro's answer made perfect sense. could someone re-explain this?

if the BP goes up then the arteriole pressure must increase because it is part of the arterial vascular system. In addition, an entire arterial blockage is rare if not impossible without serious consequences for the patient.