Bio Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zerconia2921

Bring your A-game!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i have trouble understanding the differences between oxidative phosphorolation and substrate level phosophorolation. I know ATP are the products for both just not grasping the oxidative and substrate meaning. Help.

Members don't see this ad.

I think oxidative phosphorylation is the final one after electron transport chain. Substrate is the "generic" one.

Substrate level phosphorylation takes place in glycolysis and oxidative phosphorylation takes place during the ETC although I cannot provide details bc have not read up on bio in a while but I have seen this on almost every single practice test I would be proficient on this topic.

haha i was just going over this today...

substrate level phosphorylation takes place in glycoloysis and the krebs cycle where ATP is formed by direct transfer of phospate to ADP with the help of enzymes.
oxidative phosphorylation on the other had occurs in ETC where oxidation of nutrients is coupled with transfer of phosphate to ADP to for ATP.

Basically the difference is that with substrate level, there is a direct transfer of phospate to adp to form atp and with oxidative, nutrients need to be oxidized (meaning they need to lose electrons) to form ATP. During oxidative phosphorylation, electrons are transferred from electron donors to electron acceptors such as oxygen in a redox reaction. These redox reactions release energy, which is used to form ATP.

to put it as simply as possible; substrate level = direct, oxidative = oxidation of nutrients, releasing electrons that undergo redox reactions which releases energy that is used to form ATP

hope that helps haha. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
haha i was just going over this today...

substrate level phosphorylation takes place in glycoloysis and the krebs cycle where ATP is formed by direct transfer of phospate to ADP with the help of enzymes.
oxidative phosphorylation on the other had occurs in ETC where oxidation of nutrients is coupled with transfer of phosphate to ADP to for ATP.

Basically the difference is that with substrate level, there is a direct transfer of phospate to adp to form atp and with oxidative, nutrients need to be oxidized (meaning they need to lose electrons) to form ATP. During oxidative phosphorylation, electrons are transferred from electron donors to electron acceptors such as oxygen in a redox reaction. These redox reactions release energy, which is used to form ATP.

to put it as simply as possible; substrate level = direct, oxidative = oxidation of nutrients, releasing electrons that undergo redox reactions which releases energy that is used to form ATP

hope that helps haha. =)

thanks

Very helpful post thanks a lot... so it seems about five of us or so have been helping each other out lately, when is everyone taking this thing?

in a nutshell:
substrate level phosphorylation gets u ATP from ADP DIRECTLY while oxidative gets ATP through the ETC from the reduction of NAD+ to NADH

To me atleast, oxidative phosphorylation needs to be related with the making of ATP through the use of chemiosmosis with ATP synthase in the ETC. This is the "big payout". Substrate Level Phosphorylation is the cheapXss in glycolysis and Kreb's cycle only yielding 2 ATP each.