Bio vs Psych major (PA as back up)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bio or psych?

• bio (premed & pa prereqs)

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • psych (premed prereqs OR pa prereqs)

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

i_cry_:'(

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to choose a major asap since I will just end up lasting more than four years in undergrad if i don't choose now. I am choosing between bio and psych. The main issue is that I am contemplating doing a bio major because: i can take the prerequisites for both pre-med and physician assistant (which would be my backup plan) and finish on time. i am also contemplating a psych major because: i can take psych, get a higher gpa, but i would have to choose either premed prereqs or pa prereqs now; i won't have enough time to do both, and if i change my mind later I'm screwed. Also, i prefer getting a psych degree because if all else fails, i just dont know what i will do with a bio degree. sure i won't get any jobs related to psychology with a bs but i feel like a bio bs is extremely restricting (i don't see myself doing a masters in bio or research). any advice? bio or psych? also with a psych major i can take more electives (that I've been wanting to take really badly) without exceeding the max amount of credits per semester. with bio, i can't.

Members don't see this ad.

i feel like a bio bs is extremely restricting (i don't see myself doing a masters in bio or research)

not really restricting. the degree is useless but you still have a college degree. so you can learn and use skills to pursue other careers outside medicine (e.g. law, business, computer science etc.)

I did a BS in biology and BA in psychology which helped prep me for the MCAT but is excessive. A lot of universities have some sort of middle ground such as a Biopsych major or biocognition... if your school has one similar to that where you take a mixture of biology and psychology courses, I would HIGHLY recommend that.