Bio vs Psych major (PA as back up)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bio or psych?

  • bio (premed & pa prereqs)

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • psych (premed prereqs OR pa prereqs)

    Votes: 3 60.0%

  • Total voters
    5

i_cry_:'(

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need to choose a major asap since I will just end up lasting more than four years in undergrad if i don't choose now. I am choosing between bio and psych. The main issue is that I am contemplating doing a bio major because: i can take the prerequisites for both pre-med and physician assistant (which would be my backup plan) and finish on time. i am also contemplating a psych major because: i can take psych, get a higher gpa, but i would have to choose either premed prereqs or pa prereqs now; i won't have enough time to do both, and if i change my mind later I'm screwed. Also, i prefer getting a psych degree because if all else fails, i just dont know what i will do with a bio degree. sure i won't get any jobs related to psychology with a bs but i feel like a bio bs is extremely restricting (i don't see myself doing a masters in bio or research). any advice? bio or psych? also with a psych major i can take more electives (that I've been wanting to take really badly) without exceeding the max amount of credits per semester. with bio, i can't.
 
I did a BS in biology and BA in psychology which helped prep me for the MCAT but is excessive. A lot of universities have some sort of middle ground such as a Biopsych major or biocognition... if your school has one similar to that where you take a mixture of biology and psychology courses, I would HIGHLY recommend that.