DeadCactus

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm looking for a biochem book or reference. I mainly just want a good map of the major pathways. I don't need a lot of text. Just something that maps out how smaller pathways interlink. Anyany suggeations?

Shriken

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm finding that Biochemistry Made Ridiculously Simple is a great review book.

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i know you're not looking for a text per say, but i really love lippincott's biochemistry review book. it spells out everything nicely and gives pathway overviews at the end of each chapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Lippincotts-Illustrated-Reviews-Biochemistry-American/dp/0781769604/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249571585&sr=8-1:thumbup:

I think it's good, but it's often a lot more detailed than necessary. If you bought an old used copy online, it might be worth it for the pathway diagrams.

shaqkillz451

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2006
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
what about Rapid Review Biochem....I haven't dissected it too much, but it looks concise and high yield

OP
D

DeadCactus

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I saw a copy of Lippincott's and it appears to have the giant mappings I wanted. Picked up a used copy for $11, so I'll see how it is when it comes in. Any major differences between 3rd and 4th edition?

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student
RR Biochem is good and brief, and quite differently structured than most texts. Stresses nutrition and vitamins. Terribly hard questions, don't beat yourself up if you miss a few. And its coauthored by Goljan, so you know its HY.

Ravendown

7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
RR Biochem is good and brief, and quite differently structured than most texts. Stresses nutrition and vitamins. Terribly hard questions, don't beat yourself up if you miss a few. And its coauthored by Goljan, so you know its HY.

I agree completely. Rapid review biochem is literally the greatest biochem review book, especially if you're short on time. The diagrams are great in it as well. It's a great book to study for the shelf, and USMLE[ i suppose, but i haven't taken it, nor will i for a few years]. Lippincott's is very detailed and the diagrams are superb. If you're just looking for diagrams, and a good review book for it, go with rapid review though. Lippincott's will take too much time to use it for the usmle or the shelf[depending on when you start], but it's useful for the class. Hope this helps.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Our undergrad used the Lehninger's Biochem book. Do med schools use Lehninger? I heard it's mostly Lippincott.

username456789

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Our undergrad used the Lehninger's Biochem book. Do med schools use Lehninger? I heard it's mostly Lippincott.

God no. I mean, yes, they use it (my school "uses" it as its "primary text") but no one actually reads/uses it. All of the relevant diagrams/pictures from Lehninger were in our powerpoint slides. I hardly had time to keep up with reading much of Lippincott's. There is no way on God's green earth you'll have time to read Lehninger.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, that's what I thought. I knew Lehninger was way too detailed with all kinds of information, I was just curious how med schools dealt with it.

May 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Medical Biochemistry At a Glance!! This book is a collection of big diagrams of pathways. I love it. There is another one by the same author called Metabolism at a Glance, it goes into significantly more detail. I found the med one to contain most of the information I required during ms1 biochem (although this other does do a better job of illustrating all the elements of the more complex pathways).

http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Biochemistry-Glance-Jack-Salway/dp/1405113227/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262472853&sr=8-1

nonsciencemajor

Removed
Nov 10, 2009
Status
marks basic medical biochemistry book

its good... as a REFERENCE... if you need clarification on something, it is excellent... lippincott and this book complement each other very well

However, the best is Kaplan Biochemistry notes... they are awesome along with the video's...... Kaplan basically combines biochemistry and molecular and cell bio all into one.....

shreypete

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ashkaban
Status
Resident [Any Field]

username456789

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician

This guy does:

marks basic medical biochemistry book

its good... as a REFERENCE... if you need clarification on something, it is excellent... lippincott and this book complement each other very well

However, the best is Kaplan Biochemistry notes... they are awesome along with the video's...... Kaplan basically combines biochemistry and molecular and cell bio all into one.....

nonsciencemajor

Removed
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Yes I read this book, and it is great... just can be very lengthy at times so review med school notes and lippincott and as a quick review skim through marks basic medical biochem textbook before exam

but if you are having trouble understanding notes or lippincott, this is an excellent reference to clarify your understanding