Biochem Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a biochem book or reference. I mainly just want a good map of the major pathways. I don't need a lot of text. Just something that maps out how smaller pathways interlink. Anyany suggeations?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm finding that Biochemistry Made Ridiculously Simple is a great review book.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about Rapid Review Biochem....I haven't dissected it too much, but it looks concise and high yield

I saw a copy of Lippincott's and it appears to have the giant mappings I wanted. Picked up a used copy for $11, so I'll see how it is when it comes in. Any major differences between 3rd and 4th edition?

RR Biochem is good and brief, and quite differently structured than most texts. Stresses nutrition and vitamins. Terribly hard questions, don't beat yourself up if you miss a few. And its coauthored by Goljan, so you know its HY.

RR Biochem is good and brief, and quite differently structured than most texts. Stresses nutrition and vitamins. Terribly hard questions, don't beat yourself up if you miss a few. And its coauthored by Goljan, so you know its HY.

I agree completely. Rapid review biochem is literally the greatest biochem review book, especially if you're short on time. The diagrams are great in it as well. It's a great book to study for the shelf, and USMLE[ i suppose, but i haven't taken it, nor will i for a few years]. Lippincott's is very detailed and the diagrams are superb. If you're just looking for diagrams, and a good review book for it, go with rapid review though. Lippincott's will take too much time to use it for the usmle or the shelf[depending on when you start], but it's useful for the class. Hope this helps.

Our undergrad used the Lehninger's Biochem book. Do med schools use Lehninger? I heard it's mostly Lippincott.

Our undergrad used the Lehninger's Biochem book. Do med schools use Lehninger? I heard it's mostly Lippincott.

God no. I mean, yes, they use it (my school "uses" it as its "primary text") but no one actually reads/uses it. All of the relevant diagrams/pictures from Lehninger were in our powerpoint slides. I hardly had time to keep up with reading much of Lippincott's. There is no way on God's green earth you'll have time to read Lehninger.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I knew Lehninger was way too detailed with all kinds of information, I was just curious how med schools dealt with it.

Medical Biochemistry At a Glance!! This book is a collection of big diagrams of pathways. I love it. There is another one by the same author called Metabolism at a Glance, it goes into significantly more detail. I found the med one to contain most of the information I required during ms1 biochem (although this other does do a better job of illustrating all the elements of the more complex pathways).

http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Bioch...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262472853&sr=8-1

marks basic medical biochemistry book

its good... as a REFERENCE... if you need clarification on something, it is excellent... lippincott and this book complement each other very well

However, the best is Kaplan Biochemistry notes... they are awesome along with the video's...... Kaplan basically combines biochemistry and molecular and cell bio all into one.....

This guy does:

marks basic medical biochemistry book

its good... as a REFERENCE... if you need clarification on something, it is excellent... lippincott and this book complement each other very well

However, the best is Kaplan Biochemistry notes... they are awesome along with the video's...... Kaplan basically combines biochemistry and molecular and cell bio all into one.....