Biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mask667

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey can someone help me make a decision? Yeah so I decided to take Biochemistry because it was a requirement for some of the schools that I had applied to. Unfortunately I haven't heard back from some of them and some of them denied me--so basically Tufts is the only one that I am waiting on. But the good news is that I have already been accepted to one of the schools and it does not require biochemistry. I am think of dropping the class, b/c I don't need it as any sort of requirement--or do you think I should stick with because it will help in dental school? The reason I bring this up is to dropping this class and enjoying my last semester at school.

Do you think dropping the class so that I can enjoy the semster is a better trade-off or should I stick with the class so that it will help me in dental school?

Here are the things that I would like to replace the class with:
Stock photography
Playing Counter Strike or other video games
Working out (which I haven't done since summer of 2005)
Enjoying life

Thank you,

Mask667

P.S BTW this class is the crash course in Biochemistry or the watered down version of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey mask,
Funny, I just posted something similar in the dental forum not 2 hot dogs ago! check it out, Im in similar shoes you are. The only reason Im thinking of keeping it is bc, well, there are really hot chicks at the jc where it's at, ucla requires it (although it looks like ill be going to asdoh and they don't) and it will keep me away from death due to boredom. Oh, and depending on the answer I get from the dental forum, it may or may not help me out with d school. I'm taking biochem and anatomy credit/no credit, though, and have an awesom trip planned for the summer, as well as a cruise.
Im not gonna stress myself out for these classes, it's not worth it. if you got into a D school you're happy with, consider dropping it if you don't need it. If you want to take it to get into a top choice which does require it, then take the class. you have almost nothing to lose, since you will probably be accepted/rejected before you even get a grade for the class.

Hey mask,
Funny, I just posted something similar in the dental forum not 2 hot dogs ago! check it out, Im in similar shoes you are. The only reason Im thinking of keeping it is bc, well, there are really hot chicks at the jc where it's at, ucla requires it (although it looks like ill be going to asdoh and they don't) and it will keep me away from death due to boredom. Oh, and depending on the answer I get from the dental forum, it may or may not help me out with d school. I'm taking biochem and anatomy credit/no credit, though, and have an awesom trip planned for the summer, as well as a cruise.
Im not gonna stress myself out for these classes, it's not worth it. if you got into a D school you're happy with, consider dropping it if you don't need it. If you want to take it to get into a top choice which does require it, then take the class. you have almost nothing to lose, since you will probably be accepted/rejected before you even get a grade for the class.

Are you gonna finish your degree or have you already?

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished it already but I never took biochem. Most schools require biochem, so just keeping my options open. BTW, ASDOH will require biochem for the C/O 2012

You are well past any drop date so if you withdraw you will be throwing away money. You are already accepted so it doesn't really matter how you do. Stay in the class biochemistry is challenging subject and you will be happy next year when your taking biochem along with another 18 units.
Everyone I know who took Biochem before dent/med school was really glad they did.

Case in point you will probaly spend several lectures on different aspects of enzyme kinetics, such as vmax, ect. you might spend a half an hour on that stuff in dental school.

Working out is a good idea. Playing video games is kind of a loserly reason to not take biochem, so I'll just pretend you wanted to work out this summer, right? right.

If you're not going to take biochem at least learn nomenclature, enzyme kinetics, glycolysis and Krebs cycle. That should help you b/c the first 6 weeks are intense. They don't wait for you. Truth is most biochem courses in d school are tailored to aspects of nutrition and metabolism, which is only a part of undergrad biochem. The first 4 lectures my freshmen year we covered through enzyme kinetics which is pretty damn fast considering that was 2 months of undergrad biochem.

Congrats on your acceptance.

Biochem = awsome
hard but awsome

I am not past the drop date--Feb 14th. Also, I got a 72 on the first exam because (i know this sounds bad) I didn't study as well b/c of the excitement from the acceptance. I talked to the teacher and he said that, if I decide to drop the class I am welcome to sit in on it. But if I drop it, I would not take it seriously. So, well I will think hard on this.

thnx,

Mask667

I would definitely drop the class. You should enjoy your last semester. I took biochemistry as an undergraduate,and when I was interviewing for Dental school I was informed that students who have taken courses that are re-taught in Dental school (biochem, histology, microbiology, etc..) actually tend to perform more poorly than students who have never taken the course. I was told that this is due to the fact that students can become over-confident with the material and neglect studying.

Hey can someone help me make a decision? Yeah so I decided to take Biochemistry because it was a requirement for some of the schools that I had applied to. Unfortunately I haven't heard back from some of them and some of them denied me--so basically Tufts is the only one that I am waiting on. But the good news is that I have already been accepted to one of the schools and it does not require biochemistry. I am think of dropping the class, b/c I don't need it as any sort of requirement--or do you think I should stick with because it will help in dental school? The reason I bring this up is to dropping this class and enjoying my last semester at school.

Do you think dropping the class so that I can enjoy the semster is a better trade-off or should I stick with the class so that it will help me in dental school?

Here are the things that I would like to replace the class with:
Stock photography
Playing Counter Strike or other video games
Working out (which I haven't done since summer of 2005)
Enjoying life

Thank you,

Mask667

P.S BTW this class is the crash course in Biochemistry or the watered down version of it.
Hey dude,

I would take the class if I were you. Like many other folks say, it will help you a bit in D. School. I know Biochem isn't fun; I just took it and it sucked. At least the lab sucks (purifying enzymes, working with DNA micorarray, etc...); i had to take the lab since my school required it along with the lecture.
It's better to show up to D. School and have some knowledge of those stuffs. This will reduce the amount of time you would have to spend on them.
Well at the same time, you can decide to drop it if you think you can sit in the lecture and take it seriously.
Peace

-----------------JaCkito---------------------

hahahaha drop it and play world of warcraft! hahahaha JK! :laugh:

Hey dude,

I would take the class if I were you. Like many other folks say, it will help you a bit in D. School. I know Biochem isn't fun; I just took it and it sucked. At least the lab sucks (purifying enzymes, working with DNA micorarray, etc...); i had to take the lab since my school required it along with the lecture.
It's better to show up to D. School and have some knowledge of those stuffs. This will reduce the amount of time you would have to spend on them.
Well at the same time, you can decide to drop it if you think you can sit in the lecture and take it seriously.
Peace

-----------------JaCkito---------------------

My biochem lab sucked bad as well, unlike some other labs where you are given some kind of protocol, we were asked to look up papers design are own protocols, on top of other prelab and post lab write ups. Are instructor was a slave driver, I don't know how many all-nighters I pulled for that class. Oh well I learned a ton.