Biochemisty as a Substitute for Ochem II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pnwhmt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would share this here in case it's helpful to anyone:
https://www.reddit.com/r/premed/comments/5xcgmv/a_nonexhaustive_list_of_schools_that_will_accept/

I feel that there is an overwhelming consensus that the second semester of organic chemistry is required for admission to medical school. After a bit of digging I put together a non-exhaustive list of schools that either do not require two semesters of ochem or will accept biochemistry in place of the second semester.

I am in no way encouraged students to forgo taking the second semester, but as a non-trad who cannot take it before graduating it is nice to know that this will be fine for the majority of schools.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the option, I highly recommend skipping Ochem II. It's the lowest yield class there is.

Your mileage may vary, but I found both semesters of Organic were worthless when studying Biochem.

If you have the option, I highly recommend skipping Ochem II. It's the lowest yield class there is.

Your mileage may vary, but I found both semesters of Organic were worthless when studying Biochem.
I am definitely planning on it after seeing how little schools care about it! My degree only requires biochem and ochem I so that is what I am sticking with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, I highly recommend Biochem over Orgo II. In medical school, I don't think I have ever touched stuff in Orgo II so far. Yet, we have a full intro class just about Biochemistry.

Just do both? Why limit your options at all for something that's already extremely competitive. I'd argue they're all useless for medical school. I'm about to finish all my preclincal work and I've used nothing from undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just do both? Why limit your options at all for something that's already extremely competitive. I'd argue they're all useless for medical school. I'm about to finish all my preclincal work and I've used nothing from undergrad.
For me I'm not taking both because I would have to come back the spring after I graduate to do so. 95% of the schools I am planning to apply to do not require ochem II. If I get into the 5% I will just take it prior to matriculation.

But I foresee a general shift away from the second semester of ochem towards a preference for biochem anyways, at least from the information I gathered. Not applying until next year so its likely even more schools will require biochem instead at that time.

I wanted to skip Ochem 2 (next year) and go to Biochem..
But wouldnt most schools require second semester of Ochem?

I am definitely planning on it after seeing how little schools care about it!

Hope that is true.. Last time the same question was asked and I checked the CIB for that info. Most schools required Ochem: 8credit.

Edit: just chcked your link, those are mostly for MD schools, no?
Req:Requirement Rec:Recommended
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Org Chem (Req: 8) + BioChem (Rec: 3)
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) Org Chem (Req: 8) + BioChem (Req: 3)
A.T. Still University of Health Sciences-Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU-KCOM) Org Chem (Req: 8) + BioChem (Rec)
A.T. Still University of Health Sciences–School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec)
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University (AZCOM/MWU) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec)
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) at New Mexico State University Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec)
Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec)
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University (CCOM/MWU) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec)
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM) Org Chem (Req:4) + BioChem (Req:3)
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCU-COM) Org Chem (Req:5) + BioChem (Req:3)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) & Bradenton campus (LECOM Bradenton)
Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec:3 ) [May substitute 4 OrgChem credit with 3 BioChem credit]
Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine (LUCOM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Req:3)
Lincoln Memorial University– DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (N/A)
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Req:3)
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Req:3)
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec)
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-COM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Req:3 -> For Class of 2018)
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec)
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-COM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec)
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (PNWU-COM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec)
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Req:4)
Georgia Campus–Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (GA-PCOM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Req:4)
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Req:3)
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (RowanSOM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec:3)
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine–New York (TouroCOM-NY) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Highly Rec)
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine–California (TUCOM-CA) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (N/A)
Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine (TUNCOM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (N/A)
University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec)
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNE COM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec:3)
University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth/ Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)
Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec)
University of Pikeville-Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec:3)
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine–Auburn Campus, Carolinas Campus, & Virginia Campus (VCOM–Auburn), (VCOM–CC), & (VCOM–VC)
Org Chem (Req:6-8) + BioChem (Rec)

West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM) Combination of 12 hours of ANY Chemistry w/ 3 BioChem required.
Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (Western U/COMP) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (Rec)
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM) Org Chem (Req:8) + BioChem (N/A)

Almost all, except DMUCOM, KCUCOM, LECOM+LECOM B & WVSOM require 8 semester credits of Org Chem. Now, I have to take it too!
((Sauce))

Last edited:
Hope that is true.. Last time the same question was asked and I checked the CIB for that info. Most schools required Ochem: 8credit.

Edit: just chcked your link, those are mostly for MD schools, no?
Yes! All of them are. I accidentally posted in the osteopathic thread first. But it would be worthwhile checking out schools you want to apply to. I wouldn't recommend avoiding Ochem II of it fits in your schedule but if it doesn't I don't think it's the app killer people make it out to be. Sorry about that! Maybe I will add DO schools next week when I get more time. Might be helpful to more people.

I was actually told by every single person I asked that Ochem II was a hard two semester requirement without exception. 90% of the schools I looked into this was absolutely not the case. Just something to consider.

I wanted to skip Ochem 2 (next year) and go to Biochem..
But wouldnt most schools require second semester of Ochem?
For this, every school is different. Mine just requires one semester. Some don't require any organic for biochem.

Yes! All of them are. I accidentally posted in the osteopathic thread first. But it would be worthwhile checking out schools you want to apply to. I wouldn't recommend avoiding Ochem II of it fits in your schedule but if it doesn't I don't think it's the app killer people make it out to be. Sorry about that! Maybe I will add DO schools next week when I get more time. Might be helpful to more people.

I was actually told by every single person I asked that Ochem II was a hard two semester requirement without exception. 90% of the schools I looked into this was absolutely not the case. Just something to consider.
Also should I take Ochm2 + bio2 + Phys2 + Biochm? This is what I planned for next spring.. Not sure if I should take Biochem at CC or at any Univ. of California

Also should I take Ochm2 + bio2 + Phys2 + Biochm? This is what I planned for next spring.. Not sure if I should take Biochem at CC or at any Univ. of California
Sounds heavy but people do it. Biochem and Ochem II together will be pretty hard though, and piling difficult classes like physics II on top is risky.

Is a full year of bio not a prereq for biochem?

I think I would evaluate where your GPA is at and how strong of a student you are. If you feel that taking all those classes together will bring your GPA down, it isn't worth it. Better to protect GPA at all costs. If you are a strong student and have the time to dedicate, it can be done. This isn't a race. Do things in a timeframe that makes sense to you.

Sounds heavy but people do it. Biochem and Ochem II together will be pretty hard though, and piling difficult classes like physics II on top is risky.

Is a full year of bio not a prereq for biochem?

I think I would evaluate where your GPA is at and how strong of a student you are. If you feel that taking all those classes together will bring your GPA down, it isn't worth it. Better to protect GPA at all costs. If you are a strong student and have the time to dedicate, it can be done. This isn't a race. Do things in a timeframe that makes sense to you.
True. It's risky but since I have only around 3 courses per semester (next year, Ochem, Phys and Bio are only things I'm taking) I thought I should throw in Biochem there.

But I'm not the brightest student, so I should take it afterwards. Perhaps summer sounds good.

True. It's risky but since I have only around 3 courses per semester (next year, Ochem, Phys and Bio are only things I'm taking) I thought I should throw in Biochem there.

But I'm not the brightest student, so I should take it afterwards. Perhaps summer sounds good.
Why not take a psych or sociology class? They're often easier and it is a nice break from the hard sciences. Also useful for the MCAT!