Bizarre incident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golftrippy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just had to report this...so I'm at my derms, and tell her that I've gotten my first two acceptances in the last week...Brown and WFU. I'm from Winston, went to Wake undergrad, and am not gonna hold my acceptance to Wake med school. When I tell her this, she says, "Oh God, don't go to Brown, they have a horrible program, good undergrad, but horrible medical school...and so on for 5 mins" Then I tell her they are ranked about the same, Brown is improving their rep every year and has an incredible match list, she doesn't care...of course she also says Stanford is a horrible med school. Anyway, it was pretty mean, she pretty much called me crazy for choosing Brown over Wake thus far. Has anyone else had this kind of strange reaction, and is she just crazy or is there something I'm not aware of wrong with Brown?

Members don't see this ad.

golftrippy said:
Just had to report this...so I'm at my derms, and tell her that I've gotten my first two acceptances in the last week...Brown and WFU. I'm from Winston, went to Wake undergrad, and am not gonna hold my acceptance to Wake med school. When I tell her this, she says, "Oh God, don't go to Brown, they have a horrible program, good undergrad, but horrible medical school...and so on for 5 mins" Then I tell her they are ranked about the same, Brown is improving their rep every year and has an incredible match list, she doesn't care...of course she also says Stanford is a horrible med school. Anyway, it was pretty mean, she pretty much called me crazy for choosing Brown over Wake thus far. Has anyone else had this kind of strange reaction, and is she just crazy or is there something I'm not aware of wrong with Brown?

she's an idiot. jeez, where did she go to med school anyway?

SpeedRacer said:
she's an idiot. jeez, where did she go to med school anyway?

She went to unnamed state school where her Dad worked and she went for $300 a semester supposedly...

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, that's great. I went to my primary care physician a few months ago, and told him I was applying to med school. I told him I went to WashU for undergrad. So, we got to talking some more and he told me that WashU was a middle tier school in all things educational. I'm pretty sure I started cracking up but I couldn't argue with him because I really needed that prescription for clarinex.
He's a really nice guy though, even though he has like the worst hair hat I've ever seen.

I've actually heard similarly negative things about Brown, which I found surprising. E.g. I know a resident there who warned me away from the med school, citing the generally arrogant attitude of the faculty and a level of quality that isn't on par with its reputation. Granted, I don't know how he formed his opinion and his and the other comments I've heard are isolated and subjective, but I've gotten more reactions like that about Brown than I have about other top tier schools.

golftrippy said:
She went to unnamed state school where her Dad worked and she went for $300 a semester supposedly...

hahah i bet you find out she's not really a doctor

razen_x said:
I've actually heard similarly negative things about Brown, which I found surprising. E.g. I know a resident there who warned me away from the med school, citing the generally arrogant attitude of the faculty and a level of quality that isn't on par with its reputation. Granted, I don't know how he formed his opinion and his and the other comments I've heard are isolated and subjective, but I've gotten more reactions like that about Brown than I have about other top tier schools.

Razen, thanks for the candid response. I think (and hope) that people have an opinion on Brown based on its previous incarnation...before the new curriculum and the standard admissions because their rep is really rising...but I'd still like to here what good and bad things people have to say about this school that I'm really considering...plus the above incident is just funny. So don't sugar-coat it people. By the way, I thought I'd post their match list...does anybody else think its TOO good to be true
http://bms.brown.edu/students/match/

golftrippy said:
Razen, thanks for the candid response. I think (and hope) that people have an opinion on Brown based on its previous incarnation...before the new curriculum and the standard admissions because their rep is really rising...but I'd still like to here what good and bad things people have to say about this school that I'm really considering...plus the above incident is just funny. So don't sugar-coat it people. By the way, I thought I'd post their match list...does anybody else think its TOO good to be true
http://bms.brown.edu/students/match/

5 out of 65 matched into Derm :cool:

I was lucky, I told my doctor that I was applying and he was excited for me. Every time he'd talk to me he asked how applying was going, and I saw him last week and he wanted to know where I'm going to go. It was great because I really felt like he cared about me as a person. Actually in this he gave me an example of the type of doctor I'd like to be; every time I spoke to him I left feeling very confident and good, and like he cared. I think that's an ideal to aspire to.

golftrippy said:

umm...how do u know this? All I know about my docs are what school they're affiliated w/ and what school they attended. The diploma on the wall isn't "unnamed state school where my dad works and my tuition was $300/semester)

Anyway, I've heard negative stuff about Brown's rep too. Since I haven't worked w/ anyone who went to Brown in a clinical setting and don't have friends who go there, I have no clue whether this is really tru or not. If they have a new syllabus, expect to wait several years before u find out how effective it is in residency director's minds. It won't change suddenly because u need to wait at least 5 years before residency directors see how well the new curriculum prepares students. This is why it's hard to believe what anyone says in either direction. But if a school does prep well consistently year after year despite whatever curriculum changesgo on, then u're solid. School rank and board scores are not as much a correlation of reputation as is competency.

Rendar5 said:
umm...how do u know this? All I know about my docs are what school they're affiliated w/ and what school they attended. The diploma on the wall isn't "unnamed state school where my dad works and my tuition was $300/semester)

Anyway, I've heard negative stuff about Brown's rep too. Since I haven't worked w/ anyone who went to Brown in a clinical setting and don't have friends who go there, I have no clue whether this is really tru or not. If they have a new syllabus, expect to wait several years before u find out how effective it is in residency director's minds. It won't change suddenly because u need to wait at least 5 years before residency directors see how well the new curriculum prepares students. This is why it's hard to believe what anyone says in either direction. But if a school does prep well consistently year after year despite whatever curriculum changesgo on, then u're solid. School rank and board scores are not as much a correlation of reputation as is competency.

Ok you're being a little harsh, since everything you say against Brown about residency placement is DISPROVEN by its match list...did you look at it? Also, she told me "I went to my state school where my Dad worked and i paid $300 a semester"...I think the fact that she herself said this was evident in my post

golftrippy said:
Ok you're being a little harsh, since everything you say against Brown about residency placement is DISPROVEN by its match list...did you look at it? Also, she told me "I went to my state school where my Dad worked and i paid $300 a semester"...I think the fact that she herself said this was evident in my post

Haha, that got a reaction out of me...that tells me that I like Brown so much I'm already defending them...carry-on with the Brown bashing though...just kidding...this post was originally more about that weird incident...

Did you just post, then quote yourself and comment on what you just posted? LMAO, I dont know why that is so funny to me, but it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
MarzH05 said:
Did you just post, then quote yourself and comment on what you just posted? LMAO, I dont know why that is so funny to me, but it is.

LOL
looks like thats what happened.....

jon stewart said:
LOL
looks like thats what happened.....

Yeah I did...you should have seen the thought process, it was even funnier...these were the phases

1)I'm angry
2)Why am I so angry...I asked for people to dis Brown basically
3)Why am I so emotional about Brown
4)Am I in love with Brown?
5) I'm an idiot, why did I post again

Boy it was a crazy 90 seconds of self discovery

Remember that most physicians in private practice are not keeping up with medical school and residency reputations. So if a physician goes on and on about a program, but is not currently involved in med school education, then he/she is probably telling you the reputation the program had back when he/she applied (which may have been many many years ago). Thus, older physicians might not realize that WashU is a top place if they are not involved in academics.

If your physician is not involved in medical academics, then they probably have no idea which schools are good, which residency programs are malignant, etc, but they will still think they do ;)

robotsonic said:
Remember that most physicians in private practice are not keeping up with medical school and residency reputations. So if a physician goes on and on about a program, but is not currently involved in med school education, then he/she is probably telling you the reputation the program had back when he/she applied (which may have been many many years ago). Thus, older physicians might not realize that WashU is a top place if they are not involved in academics.

If your physician is not involved in medical academics, then they probably have no idea which schools are good, which residency programs are malignant, etc, but they will still think they do ;)

I can't claim I know anything about the quality of education you'll receive at any particular school, but I wonder why it's assumed that a high US news and world RESEARCH ranking equates to a high level of EDUCATIONAL quality. But hey, maybe one automatically creates the other.....

golftrippy said:
Yeah I did...you should have seen the thought process, it was even funnier...these were the phases

1)I'm angry
2)Why am I so angry...I asked for people to dis Brown basically
3)Why am I so emotional about Brown
4)Am I in love with Brown?
5) I'm an idiot, why did I post again

Boy it was a crazy 90 seconds of self discovery

That is a classic example of the Abuse/apology cycle. You should get help.

MattD said:
I can't claim I know anything about the quality of education you'll receive at any particular school, but I wonder why it's assumed that a high US news and world RESEARCH ranking equates to a high level of EDUCATIONAL quality. But hey, maybe one automatically creates the other.....

Oh my goodness, relax. I think you missed the entire point of my post.

Why would anyone go to Brown?? A bunch of self-inflated egos living in a town run by the mafia?! You can have it.

golftrippy said:

I had a somewhat similar experience with my advisor (a biology prof who also heads a premed program) when I told him I was interviewing at Harvard. He said it's a lousy school with a terrible match list, and was pretty vehement that I not attend.

I don't know about Brown one way or the other, but it was definitely an example of people just being a little crazy.

Orthodoc40 said:
Why would anyone go to Brown?? A bunch of self-inflated egos living in a town run by the mafia?! You can have it.

Ouch!!! Ok I'll have it then...

golftrippy said:

how am i being harsh? should I lie and say that i haven't heard bad stuff about students that come out of Brown? Did i say that Brown sucks? or did I say that i had heard bad stuff, and that if they have suddenly changed curriculum now and the students coming out have much improved, then there will be a time delay in what I hear about brown grads from docs out there? Critical thinking skills, c'mon. i swear, they gotta force docs and scientists to take philosophy or some sorta courses where they teach this stuff.

Anyway, I still find it really strange that any doctor would tell a patient that they paid $300 a semester at a no-name school where their dad got them into.

Risa said:
I had a somewhat similar experience with my advisor (a biology prof who also heads a premed program) when I told him I was interviewing at Harvard. He said it's a lousy school with a terrible match list, and was pretty vehement that I not attend.

I don't know about Brown one way or the other, but it was definitely an example of people just being a little crazy.

haha, it's a good school w/ a good match list, but there are quite a few others reasons i can think of not to go there, :laugh: But that all has to do w/ personality type and teaching styles.

Rendar5 said:
Anyway, I still find it really strange that any doctor would tell a patient that they paid $300 a semester at a no-name school where their dad got them into.

You're right Rendar, I made it all up, you caught me.... ;) Nice investigatory work...those critical thinking skills came in handy and you cracked the case of the entirely made up bizarre incident...

Rendar5 said:

You're right Rendar, I made it all up, you caught me.... ;) Nice investigatory work...those critical thinking skills came in handy and you cracked the case of the entirely made up bizarre incident...

robotsonic said:
Oh my goodness, relax. I think you missed the entire point of my post.

Nah, I understood what you meant, it was just a side question I had. A lot of people do make that correlation, and I was just wondering if anyone knew of a reason that it might be accurate.

I applied to Brown and I have a pretty favorable impression of them since they were the only ones to send an info packet. ^^;

Now I called the admissions office last week and the lady told me she'll email me about my application status but that never occured... not good.