Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just wanted to point out (before this thread's inevitable closure) that over the course of your careers, you guys will find that you are able to make a very real, positive impact out there. I see it when my residents tell me that I'm the first Black person they've ever had in a position of authority over them. I see it when my patients say I'm the first doctor they've had who looks like them. I've seen it when I absolutely blow those patients' minds and tell them I grew up in the same (ghetto) area they did and went to the same schools. When they realize that someone CAN make it out and they're seeing the result. I've seen it in the look on my White patients' faces when I stroll in and the resident or nurse tells them that I'm "the boss" or "the chief" or "the doctor calling the shots tonight."

That happens every day. It will eventually happen to you (maybe not to the same extent). All that probably helps me not feel the need to respond to all the ignorance that is abundant on these forums. Waste of time and energy that could be better spent making an impact in real life.

This is EVERYTHING! Thank you for sharing this!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it bad that I want to quit my job after one week? I am very unhappy already. Tomorrow I have another interview as a Prep Cook and sheesh I am actually somewhat excited. I'm trying to work so I can pay off my tuition bill. But this job I currently have has to go out of my life immediately. I am so unhappy that I don't even feel like giving my all today(well technically tomorrow cause I work overnight) while doing my work. I don't want to be a quitter, but I have to find my niche someone. Me quitting this job is a lesson learned: Don't settle for less,because the pay is low for overnight crew plus the hard work we put in, this job is not rewarding at all because when I go home I have nothing to talk about but how much I already hate that job. I just hope medicine is right for me, cause I never want to quit that.
 
Is it bad that I want to quit my job after one week? I am very unhappy already. Tomorrow I have another interview as a Prep Cook and sheesh I am actually somewhat excited. I'm trying to work so I can pay off my tuition bill. But this job I currently have has to go out of my life immediately. I am so unhappy that I don't even feel like giving my all today(well technically tomorrow cause I work overnight) while doing my work. I don't want to be a quitter, but I have to find my niche someone. Me quitting this job is a lesson learned: Don't settle for less,because the pay is low for overnight crew plus the hard work we put in, this job is not rewarding at all because when I go home I have nothing to talk about but how much I already hate that job. I just hope medicine is right for me, cause I never want to quit that.

I love your spirit. If the job is taking away from your studies AND making you unhappy, maybe it's not such a bad idea to quit it. Perhaps see if the prep cook job works out first.
 
I think I'm going to register for the September MCAT. Wow, I can't believe I'm actually doing this. I put off pre-med for two years after graduating undergrad and now I'm back on the grind! It feels so amazing. I always have to keep myself from tearing up when I think about it; ever since I first stepped foot onto college, life has been an emotional roller coaster: culture shocks, identity crises, learning to become my own person, etc. But I'm here today finishing up my pre-med prerequisites and just a few short months from starting to study for the MCAT. I am incredibly humbled by the opportunity. Not so long ago, just taking the MCAT felt like a pipe dream.

I can't believe that I'm excited about studying for the MCAT. Of course, I'm also apprehensive and nervous at times, but the feeling of excitement is ever so constant. Taking the MCAT is one less major barrier between my dreams and me after being stuck in the purgatorish arena that was (and sometimes still is) my premed experience.
 
Now I'm stuck with Cook Prep because I called the other job back and they said they needed someone with more experience. I've been waiting for an hour for someone to come out an interview me but I have no choice but to wait. Help!!!!
 
I think I'm going to register for the September MCAT. Wow, I can't believe I'm actually doing this. I put off pre-med for two years after graduating undergrad and now I'm back on the grind! It feels so amazing. I always have to keep myself from tearing up when I think about it; ever since I first stepped foot onto college, life has been an emotional roller coaster: culture shocks, identity crises, learning to become my own person, etc. But I'm here today finishing up my pre-med prerequisites and just a few short months from starting to study for the MCAT. I am incredibly humbled by the opportunity. Not so long ago, just taking the MCAT felt like a pipe dream.

I can't believe that I'm excited about studying for the MCAT. Of course, I'm also apprehensive and nervous at times, but the feeling of excitement is ever so constant. Taking the MCAT is one less major barrier between my dreams and me after being stuck in the purgatorish arena that was (and sometimes still is) my premed experience.
I never thought I could be proud of a random person I've never met, but I am proud of you 🙂 stay on your grind
 
In other news, there's an anti-beyonce protest tomorrow.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Finished my Loyola interview.
I am so tired, lol
I won't hit my city until 11:30 pm tonight and I have work at night. Jesus be an adderal.
*note: I don't condone drugs and people taking an enhancement drug for any sole purposes, unless it is for medical reasons. It was just a joke 😉
 
@AlphaBeta<3 I'm very much a fan of your selection of profile pictures! 🙂

In other news, I think I finally know what I'm doing for the summer! Now I get to focus on other things, like maybe trying not to fail orgo 2, or any of my other classes, for that matter.
 
@AlphaBeta<3 I'm very much a fan of your selection of profile pictures! 🙂

In other news, I think I finally know what I'm doing for the summer! Now I get to focus on other things, like maybe trying not to fail orgo 2, or any of my other classes, for that matter.
Thank you! I'm glad somebody appreciates them lmao
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I'm going to register for the September MCAT. Wow, I can't believe I'm actually doing this. I put off pre-med for two years after graduating undergrad and now I'm back on the grind! It feels so amazing. I always have to keep myself from tearing up when I think about it; ever since I first stepped foot onto college, life has been an emotional roller coaster: culture shocks, identity crises, learning to become my own person, etc. But I'm here today finishing up my pre-med prerequisites and just a few short months from starting to study for the MCAT. I am incredibly humbled by the opportunity. Not so long ago, just taking the MCAT felt like a pipe dream.

I can't believe that I'm excited about studying for the MCAT. Of course, I'm also apprehensive and nervous at times, but the feeling of excitement is ever so constant. Taking the MCAT is one less major barrier between my dreams and me after being stuck in the purgatorish arena that was (and sometimes still is) my premed experience.

You've got this! One piece of unsolicited advice: positive affirmations are your best friend!!!!!!!
 
Finished my Loyola interview.
I am so tired, lol
I won't hit my city until 11:30 pm tonight and I have work at night. Jesus be an adderal.
*note: I don't condone drugs and people taking an enhancement drug for any sole purposes, unless it is for medical reasons. It was just a joke 😉

Haha, I read it as Jesus, be my adderall.

Actually, that's pretty cool. Can we make that a thing? I've always wanted to make something a thing!
 
Is he that good? I don't listen to new rap.

I don't know about GOAT or "best in the west" or anything like that but Good Kid Maad City is tied for my favorite rap album ever (with Nas' Illmatic). To Pimp a Butterfly was better as a whole complete work than individually song for song but it was still good.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad