Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
True that but they are small differences which I love, its mostly due to cultural differences. I learned so much from my latina gf. Yeah I dont get how girls/guys wont even give you a chance and they just flat out say they don't dat black guys. Its hard to argue with them because you cant force someone to like you or be attracted to your race but when they admit that idris elba is hot but at the same time wont dat black guys it makes me wonder. Then there are the ones who say they wanted to date guys who are black but there parents wouldnt like it and they say that like its normal. Wadeve man, im planing to experiment in medschool
True that but they are small differences which I love, its mostly due to cultural differences. I learned so much from my latina gf. Yeah I dont get how girls/guys wont even give you a chance and they just flat out say they don't dat black guys. Its hard to argue with them because you cant force someone to like you or be attracted to your race but when they admit that idris elba is hot but at the same time wont dat black guys it makes me wonder. Then there are the ones who say they wanted to date guys who are black but there parents wouldnt like it and they say that like its normal. Wadeve man, im planing to experiment in medschool

Idk if a race of women would take too kindly to you wanting to "experiment" and "explore" them.
 
Idk if a race of women would take too kindly to you wanting to "experiment" and "explore" them.
If you put it that way no. But at this age (my age) majority of people are exploring and experimenting different segments of our society so I dont think its much of a problem.Maybe its just my mental gymnastics, but people are alot more understanding when it comes to those things. Especially when its never the only or main reason for me to peruse a relationshp
 
Thank you and I always get the jitters. It is MMI, lol


What is Soul Swipe? I never heard of that, lol



Chelsea, are you a boy or a girl? Why Chelsea FC as your name lol.
I mean you like what you like as far as the Asian women are concernconcern. Although, the best and the most diverse is us black women, ijs lol


Some black men don't step up to the plate and want to be coddle and ish. Plus, some don't want to marry and want to have a variety of women in their lives.
Lawd, please let me find the one who do not have the characteristics that were mentioned above.
I prefer black men because I want a black family.
Eh, the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice 🙂
images

Man its the older the berry the sweeter the juice
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you put it that way no. But at this age (my age) majority of people are exploring and experimenting different segments of our society so I dont think its much of a problem.Maybe its just my mental gymnastics, but people are alot more understanding when it comes to those things. Especially when its never the only or main reason for me to peruse a relationshp
Lol it just seems fetishistic. If a white guy was talking about "I want to explore and experiment with black girls" I would find it offensive and dehumanizing. But whatever. Lol
 
I think I agree that it's a little strange to single out a different race/ethnicity/etc for dating just to explore or learn something new. If you think about it, that can be done every time you date a new person. No one is going to be exactly the same even if they're within the same race (especially if you're of a different ethnicity or nationality. Example: an African American dating someone from Africa or someone Caribbean). So I don't think anyone should feel that they have to be in an interracial relationship to gain a new perspective. But, to each his own.
 
Hmm good point but how is it fetishistic if I am open to all races and want to experience being with people of different races??But yeah maybe there is something weird going on with me lol I just find all women beautiful and hate when people pigeon hole themselves into a particular race/culture. I dont think I will be like you are a asian women so I have to date you, or that I find asian women more beautiful than the rest I just want to date all type of women . LOL okay this is off topic I will shut up with my weird dating preferences or lack there of
 
Hmm good point but how is it fetishistic if I am open to all races and want to experience being with people of different races??But yeah maybe there is something weird going on with me lol I just find all women beautiful and hate when people pigeon hole themselves into a particular race/culture. I dont think I will be like you are a asian women so I have to date you, or that I find asian women more beautiful than the rest I just want to date all type of women . LOL okay this is off topic I will shut up with my weird dating preferences or lack there of

It isnt weird that you are open to dating all races. It's a little strange that you would seek out a particular race to "explore" and "experiment".
 
Hmm good point but how is it fetishistic if I am open to all races and want to experience being with people of different races??But yeah maybe there is something weird going on with me lol I just find all women beautiful and hate when people pigeon hole themselves into a particular race/culture. I dont think I will be like you are a asian women so I have to date you, or that I find asian women more beautiful than the rest I just want to date all type of women . LOL okay this is off topic I will shut up with my weird dating preferences or lack there of
Just focus on the individual. Don't lump women into broad categories.
 
Just focus on the individual. Don't lump women into broad categories.
LOL trying my best not to derail with my relationship habits. But thats always the first and most important thing to me as I said before thats never the sole reason but one of the many
 
Thank you and I always get the jitters. It is MMI, lol


What is Soul Swipe? I never heard of that, lol



Chelsea, are you a boy or a girl? Why Chelsea FC as your name lol.
I mean you like what you like as far as the Asian women are concernconcern. Although, the best and the most diverse is us black women, ijs lol


Some black men don't step up to the plate and want to be coddle and ish. Plus, some don't want to marry and want to have a variety of women in their lives.
Lawd, please let me find the one who do not have the characteristics that were mentioned above.
I prefer black men because I want a black family.
Eh, the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice 🙂

Chelsea Football Club. It's a soccer team lol
 
LOL trying my best not to derail with my relationship habits. But thats always the first and most important thing to me as I said before thats never the sole reason but one of the many

Dude, I know exactly what you meant in the first place. It's like trying different types fine wines or whiskeys. I can appreciate variety and the unknown.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently setting my sights on MD/PhD, but that may be the biggest long shot lol. I don't quite know what I want to specialize in yet, but probably something oncology-related.
 
I have a question for everyone out here. How do deal with anyone who jokingly says "you're not black?"

This has always been my insecurity.. My entire life. My childhood was in a metro area then I moved to the suburbs. Went to what's known as a "black" high school. I am actually black lol. But other black people will always say "you're not black" or "you're a white girl." I know the way I talk may have a lot to do with it. Even telling people I'm going to med school makes them more put off by me. I had a friend who was so surprised I didn't like pickles she said I wasn't black.

I know this is a petty subject, but i always take it personally. I am always offended or insulted when people say it, always.

Anyone else deal with this? And how do you just brush it off?
 
I have a question for everyone out here. How do deal with anyone who jokingly says "you're not black?"

This has always been my insecurity.. My entire life. My childhood was in a metro area then I moved to the suburbs. Went to what's known as a "black" high school. I am actually black lol. But other black people will always say "you're not black" or "you're a white girl." I know the way I talk may have a lot to do with it. Even telling people I'm going to med school makes them more put off by me. I had a friend who was so surprised I didn't like pickles she said I wasn't black.

I know this is a petty subject, but i always take it personally. I am always offended or insulted when people say it, always.

Anyone else deal with this? And how do you just brush it off?
Ah, it's another case of "trying to fit blackness in a box."

Remind your friends that there are at least 70 shades of black and continue being yourself 🙂
 
I have a question for everyone out here. How do deal with anyone who jokingly says "you're not black?"

This has always been my insecurity.. My entire life. My childhood was in a metro area then I moved to the suburbs. Went to what's known as a "black" high school. I am actually black lol. But other black people will always say "you're not black" or "you're a white girl." I know the way I talk may have a lot to do with it. Even telling people I'm going to med school makes them more put off by me. I had a friend who was so surprised I didn't like pickles she said I wasn't black.

I know this is a petty subject, but i always take it personally. I am always offended or insulted when people say it, always.

Anyone else deal with this? And how do you just brush it off?

Depending on who I'm with I either joke with it like "Really!? you sure? Last I checked I looked black. My rents are gonna be so pissed!". Or I just flat out say you cant put black people in a box like that.
 
Ah, it's another case of "trying to fit blackness in a box."

Remind your friends that there are at least 70 shades of black and continue being yourself 🙂

You can never get away from things like this. It's like when you have a tattoo and people ask "did it hurt?"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question for everyone out here. How do deal with anyone who jokingly says "you're not black?"

This has always been my insecurity.. My entire life. My childhood was in a metro area then I moved to the suburbs. Went to what's known as a "black" high school. I am actually black lol. But other black people will always say "you're not black" or "you're a white girl." I know the way I talk may have a lot to do with it. Even telling people I'm going to med school makes them more put off by me. I had a friend who was so surprised I didn't like pickles she said I wasn't black.

I know this is a petty subject, but i always take it personally. I am always offended or insulted when people say it, always.

Anyone else deal with this? And how do you just brush it off?
There are a number of options:
1) Withering stank face.
2) Laughing it off, coupled perhaps with a snide comment thrown back at them.
3) Calmly informing them that there are infinite ways to be black, and that you're not out here to be confirming whatever stereotypes they have about what it means to be black.

I remember getting a lot of comments like this in high school, where people called me an oreo (black on the outside, white on the inside) because I tried hard in school. Back then I didn't let it bother to me (I was younger and less woke) but I wish I had said something. It's not a petty subject, and you are right to be offended. But hopefully, just calling them out and continuing to slay as I'm sure you already are should be enough to get the people making these comments off your black.
 
Hi guys,

Not sure if anyone has already chatted about this but I had seen many people saying they were discouraged about not seeing many black faces on this path to medical school. Have any of you considered applying to Morehouse or Howard for this reason?

Also, on another note, if any people have questions about preparing for med school or the application process I would love to offer my insight. I was accepted at CU and I have interviews upcoming at Tufts, Miami Miller and Morehouse.
 
There are a number of options:
1) Withering stank face.
2) Laughing it off, coupled perhaps with a snide comment thrown back at them.
3) Calmly informing them that there are infinite ways to be black, and that you're not out here to be confirming whatever stereotypes they have about what it means to be black.

I remember getting a lot of comments like this in high school, where people called me an oreo (black on the outside, white on the inside) because I tried hard in school. Back then I didn't let it bother to me (I was younger and less woke) but I wish I had said something. It's not a petty subject, and you are right to be offended. But hopefully, just calling them out and continuing to slay as I'm sure you already are should be enough to get the people making these comments off your black.

attachment.php


29B393B700000578-0-Emotional_-m-3_1434544182160.jpg
 
Lol, while we're on the subject, maybe we should talk about how people seem to often equate having a "black soul" with being black. Throwback to all the times in high school when white people told me they were more black than me because they listened to rap music.
 
I have a question for everyone out here. How do deal with anyone who jokingly says "you're not black?"

This has always been my insecurity.. My entire life. My childhood was in a metro area then I moved to the suburbs. Went to what's known as a "black" high school. I am actually black lol. But other black people will always say "you're not black" or "you're a white girl." I know the way I talk may have a lot to do with it. Even telling people I'm going to med school makes them more put off by me. I had a friend who was so surprised I didn't like pickles she said I wasn't black.

I know this is a petty subject, but i always take it personally. I am always offended or insulted when people say it, always.

Anyone else deal with this? And how do you just brush it off?

I blatantly call them on it. Because it's a racist thing to say- and just like I'd tell my friend if his fly was down, I'll tell my friends when they're being racist. Most of the time by challenging their preconceptions, they end up rethinking them. So my response is something like "Oh, because you think using proper English belongs strictly to White people?" or "Because in your mind there's no such thing as a Black person who speaks correctly?"
 
While Rachel was wrong on identifying as black, I think our community overreacted to her. At the end of the day she was for the cause; better than Raven or Stacey Dash.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
While Rachel was wrong on identifying as black, I think our community overreacted to her. At the end of the day she was for the cause; better than Raven or Stacey Dash.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
She dressed in blackface and lied about her ethnicity so that she could feel looked up to as "an educated black woman" by a historically oppressed minority. She's clearly a broken woman and likely a sociopath. I have no sympathy.

And she has done tremendous damage to the reputation of the NAACP.
 
While Rachel was wrong on identifying as black, I think our community overreacted to her. At the end of the day she was for the cause; better than Raven or Stacey Dash.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

She was definitely wrong. I think your stance comes a bit too close to the thought process I mentioned before. Being down for the cause doesn't make someone Black any more than using correct grammar makes someone White. Plenty of White people have truly walked the walk when it comes to civil rights, fighting racism, etc. They are still White. You could say that claiming otherwise would actually lessen their impact, as some very effective activists have used the privilege of their White status to their advantage.
 
She dressed in blackface and lied about her ethnicity so that she could feel looked up to as "an educated black woman" by a historically oppressed minority. She's clearly a broken woman and likely a sociopath. I have no sympathy.

And she has done tremendous damage to the reputation of the NAACP.
Why is it wrong for someone to identify as black despite being born white, but ok for someone born a man to identify as a woman? Not trying to stir the pot or anything but aren't race and gender both widely considered to be social constructs?
I never understood how people were outraged over Rachel Dolezal despite all the good she has done for the community.
 
Why is it wrong for someone to identify as black despite being born white, but ok for someone born a man to identify as a woman? Not trying to stir the pot or anything but aren't race and gender both widely considered to be social constructs?
I never understood how people were outraged over Rachel Dolezal despite all the good she has done for the community.

Race is more a social construct whereas gender is more psychological, I think.
 
I understand the points you all make but if someone is trying to help my community the last thing I'm going to do is attack them. Yeah someone should speak to her but, the stubbornness in our community has been a downfall. There are larger battles to face than someone pretending to be black.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ah, it's another case of "trying to fit blackness in a box."

Remind your friends that there are at least 70 shades of black and continue being yourself 🙂
I can relate to this. I sort of stopped caring about trying to fit in, in that manner. I am me! [emoji14]
 
Why is it wrong for someone to identify as black despite being born white, but ok for someone born a man to identify as a woman? Not trying to stir the pot or anything but aren't race and gender both widely considered to be social constructs?
I never understood how people were outraged over Rachel Dolezal despite all the good she has done for the community.
Oh my God.
*deletes account*
 
Hi guys,

Not sure if anyone has already chatted about this but I had seen many people saying they were discouraged about not seeing many black faces on this path to medical school. Have any of you considered applying to Morehouse or Howard for this reason?

Also, on another note, if any people have questions about preparing for med school or the application process I would love to offer my insight. I was accepted at CU and I have interviews upcoming at Tufts, Miami Miller and Morehouse.
Hi!! I have quite a bit of questions actuallly lol Im new here so I dont know how to PM haha