Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it's a moot point to ever compare the two. They both f**k it up on the mic, why even compare the two?

This is true. However, anytime kDot wins, this conversation regarding J. Cole's lack of recognition arises. They're both lyrical geniuses though!
 
Yah 1989 wasn't even that good lol but who's surprised, cmon. I know @Cyberdyne 101 might consider that heresy, I hope we can still be friends
I actually prefer the Speak Now version of Taylor Swift. 1989 is great but it's not a groundbreaking record like Madonna's Like A Prayer or Ray of Light.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I havent listen to kendric or J.cole but I doubt they better than Jay Z but Im going to listen to them tonight and see if they good...
 

I am the freaked out pre-med... all of the time. It does nothing to help my anxiety, but it is how I regularly function.
No matter how many times I chant to myself, "You will not freak out," I still manage to freak out. No matter how well I know the material. I WILL ALWAYS FREAK OUT.
Admittedly, I love the adrenaline rush after I find out I freaked out for nothing and passed...
 
I am the freaked out pre-med... all of the time. It does nothing to help my anxiety, but it is how I regularly function.
No matter how many times I chant to myself, "You will not freak out," I still manage to freak out. No matter how well I know the material. I WILL ALWAYS FREAK OUT.
Admittedly, I love the adrenaline rush after I find out I freaked out for nothing and passed...
This is me
 
Lolol I'm the "other" major pre-med! I just see it as a way to explore my other interests before I start med school which is always a plus in my opinion.

An important consideration with major is how you would apply it if you didn't get into med school, but on the assumption you get into med school, I would highly recommend a nonscience major, if that happens to be something you want to pursue. I've gotten FAR more out of my psych degree than my chemistry degree. Intro bio/chem/physics, organic, etc are more than enough to figure out if you have an affinity for science
 
Thought I'd share some of my application cycle experience since my cycle is over!
Black female
4.0 GPA
29 MCAT
Wide range of ECs
Only applied to 9 schools
4 interviews
2 acceptances
1 "acceptable range"
And still waiting to hear back from one!

I say my cycle is over because I just got accepted to my top choice! Good luck to everyone and if any ever needs someone to look over personal statements or secondaries in the future I'm here to help!
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do you mean by "acceptable range"?

and congrats!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thought I'd share some of my application cycle experience since my cycle is over!
Black female
4.0 GPA
29 MCAT
Wide range of ECs
Only applied to 9 schools
4 interviews
2 acceptances
1 "acceptable range"
And still waiting to hear back from one!

I say my cycle is over because I just got accepted to my top choice! Good luck to everyone and if any ever needs someone to look over personal statements or secondaries in the future I'm here to help!
Mind sharing where u got in? With those stats you seem to be a very competitive applicant
 
Congrats! *cough cough..go to MH..cough*

Lol but no seriously, maybe I'm biased cus ATL is like a second home but Grady and the other affiliates will be amazing rotate to through. Not sure of Meharry's affiliates.

Haha yes MH is my first choice. I got pulled off the waitlist and jumped on it! Just hoping they give me some money bc Meharry gave me a scholarship!
 
Haha yes MH is my first choice. I got pulled off the waitlist and jumped on it! Just hoping they give me some money bc Meharry gave me a scholarship!

Meharry sent out award packages already? I haven't gotten one.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
I want to leave my job so bad, but I'm afraid I'll be a quitter forever and that will get me nowhere. I miss my old life, stress free, care free. I literally work for nothing. I make $170+ a week and its just not enough, I hate to sound ungrateful but its true. With the expenses of getting to work and other misc expenses, I know I will not be able to pay off $500 in three-four weeks before the next session of classes. I would hate hate hate to push my graduation year up to 2020, I will go in a corner a cry forever. I will cry because my little brother graduates high school in that year and I'll be damned if he's in college while I'm in college.
1. Age is scaring me(Will I be 30 years old in med school?)

2. Finding a partner is scaring me(I honestly don't feel worthy enough, because I worry too much about other things to have a partner...no one wants that)

3. Possibly not ever having children scares me even though I really don't want any (my biological clock will start to tic-oh and I forgot to mention how my grandmother had menopause at 30 and my mom at 38, and I don't want any kids while working my way into med school, so my life is pretty much eff'd if this happens, ya know pushing my graduation date back *face palm*)

4. Choosing a different career scares me. I cant find anything else I like outside of science and no I don't want to work in a lab all my life(but its an option).
 
I want to leave my job so bad, but I'm afraid I'll be a quitter forever and that will get me nowhere. I miss my old life, stress free, care free. I literally work for nothing. I make $170+ a week and its just not enough, I hate to sound ungrateful but its true. With the expenses of getting to work and other misc expenses, I know I will not be able to pay off $500 in three-four weeks before the next session of classes. I would hate hate hate to push my graduation year up to 2020, I will go in a corner a cry forever. I will cry because my little brother graduates high school in that year and I'll be damned if he's in college while I'm in college.
1. Age is scaring me(Will I be 30 years old in med school?)

2. Finding a partner is scaring me(I honestly don't feel worthy enough, because I worry too much about other things to have a partner...no one wants that)

3. Possibly not ever having children scares me even though I really don't want any (my biological clock will start to tic-oh and I forgot to mention how my grandmother had menopause at 30 and my mom at 38, and I don't want any kids while working my way into med school, so my life is pretty much eff'd if this happens, ya know pushing my graduation date back *face palm*)

4. Choosing a different career scares me. I cant find anything else I like outside of science and no I don't want to work in a lab all my life(but its an option).
You weren't kidding when you described yourself as the freaked out pre-med. this is a big time in your life so it's normal to be nervous and uncertain about things. But, you have to remember that when trouble occurs, you'll get through it. I'm sure you've felt nervous about something before and you got through it and now you're here. Things may not work out perfectly as you planned, but they will work out. So just know that although you're stressed, eventually something's gotta give. You'll be okay no matter how you get there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to leave my job so bad, but I'm afraid I'll be a quitter forever and that will get me nowhere. I miss my old life, stress free, care free. I literally work for nothing. I make $170+ a week and its just not enough, I hate to sound ungrateful but its true. With the expenses of getting to work and other misc expenses, I know I will not be able to pay off $500 in three-four weeks before the next session of classes. I would hate hate hate to push my graduation year up to 2020, I will go in a corner a cry forever. I will cry because my little brother graduates high school in that year and I'll be damned if he's in college while I'm in college.
1. Age is scaring me(Will I be 30 years old in med school?)

2. Finding a partner is scaring me(I honestly don't feel worthy enough, because I worry too much about other things to have a partner...no one wants that)

3. Possibly not ever having children scares me even though I really don't want any (my biological clock will start to tic-oh and I forgot to mention how my grandmother had menopause at 30 and my mom at 38, and I don't want any kids while working my way into med school, so my life is pretty much eff'd if this happens, ya know pushing my graduation date back *face palm*)

4. Choosing a different career scares me. I cant find anything else I like outside of science and no I don't want to work in a lab all my life(but its an option).
Being 30 isn't all that bad in med school.

Finding a partner is always terrifying, because you have to hope they mean it when they say they're on the same page.

Early menopause tends to be one of those environmental stress things, or so Goljan tells me, as do some genetic factors. If your grandmother had an extremely hard life, never used birth control, or smoked, these factors likely could have contributed to her early menopause. http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/153/9/865.full for an article on the topic. Long story short, it's unlikely you'll hit menopause as early as she did.

If you can't see yourself doing anything else, this is where you belong.
 
An important consideration with major is how you would apply it if you didn't get into med school, but on the assumption you get into med school, I would highly recommend a nonscience major, if that happens to be something you want to pursue. I've gotten FAR more out of my psych degree than my chemistry degree. Intro bio/chem/physics, organic, etc are more than enough to figure out if you have an affinity for science

Agree with this. My science major is to make me a better researcher but my life has been enriched far more by English, History, Philosophy and classical languages
 
Hey guys! I'm a black chemistry major at an HBCU(I also went to a PWI, but I couldn't afford to stay). Has anyone here done the EMSSP at Boston? I just got an interview notification and I'm wondering how the process goes. Any pointers? I know it's a whole weekend, by I can't find any other information.

I actually know two guys from my HBCU who did it. PM me your info if you're interested in me putting you in contact
 
I want to leave my job so bad, but I'm afraid I'll be a quitter forever and that will get me nowhere. I miss my old life, stress free, care free. I literally work for nothing. I make $170+ a week and its just not enough, I hate to sound ungrateful but its true. With the expenses of getting to work and other misc expenses, I know I will not be able to pay off $500 in three-four weeks before the next session of classes. I would hate hate hate to push my graduation year up to 2020, I will go in a corner a cry forever. I will cry because my little brother graduates high school in that year and I'll be damned if he's in college while I'm in college.
1. Age is scaring me(Will I be 30 years old in med school?)

2. Finding a partner is scaring me(I honestly don't feel worthy enough, because I worry too much about other things to have a partner...no one wants that)

3. Possibly not ever having children scares me even though I really don't want any (my biological clock will start to tic-oh and I forgot to mention how my grandmother had menopause at 30 and my mom at 38, and I don't want any kids while working my way into med school, so my life is pretty much eff'd if this happens, ya know pushing my graduation date back *face palm*)

4. Choosing a different career scares me. I cant find anything else I like outside of science and no I don't want to work in a lab all my life(but its an option).

Relax 😉. God wouldn't put you through things you can't handle. It is a small bump in the road. Re-assess, re-group and think.

They are people who are homeless, sex workers, living in a third world country and have stage four cancer.
You have a job, you are in school and will be a doctor.
Work in small steps. Find another job, focus on your grades. Don't worry about your brother. You have your own path. It is not how you start, but how you finish.

I will be 28 on March 28 and I don't have a hubby lol or kids.
Date outside your race, go to SNMA conferences, tinder, bumble bee, speed dating, six degrees of separation and etc lol

Breathe. Stretch. Shake and remain focus
 
Relax 😉. God wouldn't put you through things you can't handle. It is a small bump in the road. Re-assess, re-group and think.

They are people who are homeless, sex workers, living in a third world country and have stage four cancer.
You have a job, you are in school and will be a doctor.
Work in small steps. Find another job, focus on your grades. Don't worry about your brother. You have your own path. It is not how you start, but how you finish.

I will be 28 on March 28 and I don't have a hubby lol or kids.
Date outside your race, go to SNMA conferences, tinder, bumble bee, speed dating, six degrees of separation and etc lol

Breathe. Stretch. Shake and remain focus

Adding Soul Swipe to that dating list.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Im planning on branching out , I plan on using medical school as a opportunity to explore Indian and Asian women ... Some of their parents wont approve but that's the icing on the cake .. But i guess if you are a older individual you are looking for something more serious. One of the first things I did when I came to america was date people of different races and cultures to have a broader view of life
 
Agree with this. My science major is to make me a better researcher but my life has been enriched far more by English, History, Philosophy and classical languages
Science has a LOT to teach us about human nature...

Genetics anyone?
 
Im planning on branching out , I plan on using medical school as a opportunity to explore Indian and Asian women ... Some of their parents wont approve but that's the icing on the cake .. But i guess if you are a older individual you are looking for something more serious. One of the first things I did when I came to america was date people of different races and cultures to have a broader view of life
Don't you think it's a bit odd to seek out a specific race? Not judging, I just find it curious
 
Don't you think it's a bit odd to seek out a specific race? Not judging, I just find it curious
Yeah it does seem odd and It might be but I'm weird with the girls I like. I guess I find every specific race have stereotypical beautiful features that I love.. Also I got seriously annoyed when I came to america and hear girls adamantly say they dont date black guys like they know how every black guy look or act . It bothers me less now and I just think that the heart wants what the heart wants.But I want to experience different races and cultures at a intimate level. Maybe im just a hoe lol jk
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah it does seem odd and It might be but I'm weird with the girls I like. I guess I find every specific race have stereotypical beautiful features that I love.. Also I got seriously annoyed when I came to america and hear girls adamantly say they dont date black guys like they know how every black guy look or act . It bothers me less now and I just think that the heart wants what the heart wants.But I want to experience different races and cultures at a intimate level. Maybe im just a hoe lol jk
Fair enough, but I think you might be surprised at how boring and similar most people are.

And yeah, it's totally f'ed up how many white chicks say they aren't attracted to black men. Even in the gay community, a lot of white guys either fetishize black men as exotic or just flat-out don't date them.
 
Fair enough, but I think you might be surprised at how boring and similar most people are.

And yeah, it's totally f'ed up how many white chicks say they aren't attracted to black men. Even in the gay community, a lot of white guys either fetishize black men as exotic or just flat-out don't date them.
True that but they are small differences which I love, its mostly due to cultural differences. I learned so much from my latina gf. Yeah I dont get how girls/guys wont even give you a chance and they just flat out say they don't dat black guys. Its hard to argue with them because you cant force someone to like you or be attracted to your race but when they admit that idris elba is hot but at the same time wont dat black guys it makes me wonder. Then there are the ones who say they wanted to date guys who are black but there parents wouldnt like it and they say that like its normal. Wadeve man, im planing to experiment in medschool
 
True that but they are small differences which I love, its mostly due to cultural differences. I learned so much from my latina gf. Yeah I dont get how girls/guys wont even give you a chance and they just flat out say they don't dat black guys. Its hard to argue with them because you cant force someone to like you or be attracted to your race but when they admit that idris elba is hot but at the same time wont dat black guys it makes me wonder. Then there are the ones who say they wanted to date guys who are black but there parents wouldnt like it and they say that like its normal. Wadeve man, im planing to experiment in medschool
Yeah, I grew up in a black neighborhood. What blew me away more than anything was how many black girls I knew who wouldn't date black men because they were "lazy, good for nothing, etc." What. The. ****.
 
That's how I was the night before mine. I hope yours is not in the morning. Try to pray yourself to sleep and I hope you do well. [emoji120][emoji106]

Thank you and I always get the jitters. It is MMI, lol

Adding Soul Swipe to that dating list.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
What is Soul Swipe? I never heard of that, lol

Yeah it does seem odd and It might be but I'm weird with the girls I like. I guess I find every specific race have stereotypical beautiful features that I love.. Also I got seriously annoyed when I came to america and hear girls adamantly say they dont date black guys like they know how every black guy look or act . It bothers me less now and I just think that the heart wants what the heart wants.But I want to experience different races and cultures at a intimate level. Maybe im just a hoe lol jk

Chelsea, are you a boy or a girl? Why Chelsea FC as your name lol.
I mean you like what you like as far as the Asian women are concernconcern. Although, the best and the most diverse is us black women, ijs lol

Yeah, I grew up in a black neighborhood. What blew me away more than anything was how many black girls I knew who wouldn't date black men because they were "lazy, good for nothing, etc." What. The. ****.
Some black men don't step up to the plate and want to be coddle and ish. Plus, some don't want to marry and want to have a variety of women in their lives.
Lawd, please let me find the one who do not have the characteristics that were mentioned above.
I prefer black men because I want a black family.
Eh, the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice 🙂