You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Black premeds/doctors around?
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Why OSU?
Wonderful program, wonderful faculty, felt at home there more so then Case and Cincinnati.
Wonderful program, wonderful faculty, felt at home there more so then Case and Cincinnati.
Everyone speaks so highly about OSU. Did you get accepted?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone speaks so highly about OSU. Did you get accepted?
Yeah I did. Looks like I'll really be going there lol now that NYU is 11th my chances look pretty bleak
Was there a purpose to this beyond posting a link for everyone? I'm just curious as bare links can be hard to interpret.
Was there a purpose to this beyond posting a link for everyone? I'm just curious as bare links can be hard to interpret.
Just the new ranking for this year
Just the new ranking for this year
Oh, well in that case:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...o-not-make-another-thread-about-this.1188853/
Thank you Tantacles!
Do you still go to the Lion's Den?
Nope.
Yeah I did. Looks like I'll really be going there lol now that NYU is 11th my chances look pretty bleak![]()
NYU knew their reputation and what goals they wanted to accomplish before they interviewed you lol...you are a part of that plan. Keep your head up.
NYU knew their reputation and what goals they wanted to accomplish before they interviewed you lol...you are a part of that plan. Keep your head up.
I really appreciated your words...Thank you for that. *tears up* lol
I really appreciated your words...Thank you for that. *tears up* lol
haha shut uppp 😉
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-likely-to-go-to-prison-than-rich-black-kids/
This is interesting.
This is interesting.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm late to the party, but AA female non-trad here! I'm starting a DIY post-bac this summer. I've been practicing law for the past nine years, so I need a nice long student-mindset refresher before I apply next cycle for Fall 2018 entry.
Best of luck!
Any particular reason for the change in career?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Hi, I'm late to the party, but AA female non-trad here! I'm starting a DIY post-bac this summer. I've been practicing law for the past nine years, so I need a nice long student-mindset refresher before I apply next cycle for Fall 2018 entry.
Why you have decided to leave Law?
I was actually pre-Med before I went to law school. For a number of reasons, I went the law route instead, but it was the wrong decision for me. I don't feel fulfilled as a lawyer. My brain is very strongly geared toward math/science rather than liberal arts, and I feel like my skills would be put to much better use in medicine. It's hard walking away from an established career at my age, but I figure I'll be 40 in eight years whether I make the change or not. The difference is whether I will be satisfied with my professional life then or not. Life is too short to be unhappy with your career.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Accepted to Howard Med yesterday 😉
Congratulations!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Thank you ;D
Hi, I'm late to the party, but AA female non-trad here! I'm starting a DIY post-bac this summer. I've been practicing law for the past nine years, so I need a nice long student-mindset refresher before I apply next cycle for Fall 2018 entry.
I am also non-trad
Accepted to Howard Med yesterday 😉
Wooop! Congrats! I loved it more than I thought I would on interview day and my interviewer was maaadd cool. Very family oriented instituion. Have a few buddies who go there too.
Wooop! Congrats! I loved it more than I thought I would on interview day and my interviewer was maaadd cool. Very family oriented instituion. Have a few buddies who go there too.
Thanks 🙂
I know a couple of ppl who attend there as well. Do they have a second look? It all depends on the fin aid package, lol
Thanks 🙂
I know a couple of ppl who attend there as well. Do they have a second look? It all depends on the fin aid package, lol
Yea, I have no idea about their second look.
I like leslie knope too 🙂I'm always told that it doesn't matter, but I still get that same discouraged feeling when I'm the only black person in a room like that.
It also doesn't help that I go to a PWI, but I have met some people that don't make me feel out of place. Hopefully you'll find that at your school 🙂
BTW, Congrats on getting accepted!
Yea, I have no idea about their second look.
They don't have a second look 🙁
I got into UNC MED summer program 🙂
Why though ?? You are already accepted into medical school, why not take the time to relax until class starts ?I got into UNC MED summer program 🙂
Last edited:
I got into UNC MED summer program 🙂
is it one of those preliminary type things and then you start the actual med program upon completion?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why though ?? You are already accepted into medical school, why not take the time to relax until class starts ?
I am not starting medical until next year since I am deferring my enrollment for my fellowship. I haven't stepped foot in a classroom for over five years. Therefore, it was essential for me to get my foot wet before I start medical school by doing this program. I was not a bio major in undergraduate (chemistry), so all of these upper level bio courses I never took. Besides, I rather be over prepared than under prepared. Also, I have to do well and score high on boards. I don't have time to be a struggling student. Step 1 is not as forgiving as MCAT.
I am going to relax when I am in India for ten months.
Edit: As you know, learning is through repetition and application.
is it one of those preliminary type things and then you start the actual med program upon completion?
No, I never applied to UNC med school. You can look at it as an outside pre matriculation program. Most medical schools have this for minority students or students who have been out of school for three plus years.
The one thing I don't like about this study is the fact that their classification of wealth deals only with current assets right now. I would fall into the lowest category because I have more debts than assets, but I come from high socioeconomic status, which clearly is a mitigating factor. I would like to see the numbers taking parental wealth and/or income into account.
That being said, I don't think I can really question this study's results. Being black puts you at a disadvantage with the police, as we've seen time and time again in the news recently, and that anecdotal evidence is bolstered by this study.
I having nothing at all to add to this forum other than the fact that I love your profile pic, I never thought I would find another legend of dragoon fan on sdn!The one thing I don't like about this study is the fact that their classification of wealth deals only with current assets right now. I would fall into the lowest category because I have more debts than assets, but I come from high socioeconomic status, which clearly is a mitigating factor. I would like to see the numbers taking parental wealth and/or income into account.
That being said, I don't think I can really question this study's results. Being black puts you at a disadvantage with the police, as we've seen time and time again in the news recently, and that anecdotal evidence is bolstered by this study.
It is a great game, but I just wish they had an option to let you skip animations after the fifteenth time.I having nothing at all to add to this forum other than the fact that I love your profile pic, I never thought I would find another legend of dragoon fan on sdn!
Large dogs
Today I learned...
I am dating a man who believes that I want to go to med school to become a nurse.
Make. It. Stop. What does he think people do at nursing school? Become rodeo clowns?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Today I learned...
I am dating a man who believes that I want to go to med school to become a nurse.
Ma, your MCM doesn't know that doctors go to medical school to become doctors. He thinks they automatically become one lol.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Today I learned...
I am dating a man who believes that I want to go to med school to become a nurse.
Our faces right now
Today I learned...
I am dating a man who believes that I want to go to med school to become a nurse.
I had to make a meme lol
I was actually pre-Med before I went to law school. For a number of reasons, I went the law route instead, but it was the wrong decision for me. I don't feel fulfilled as a lawyer. My brain is very strongly geared toward math/science rather than liberal arts, and I feel like my skills would be put to much better use in medicine. It's hard walking away from an established career at my age, but I figure I'll be 40 in eight years whether I make the change or not. The difference is whether I will be satisfied with my professional life then or not. Life is too short to be unhappy with your career.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Never too seasoned to purse your dreams 🙂!
What was your expertise, and where are you now in your pre-med journey?
You're going to do amazing on the Verbal section, lol. Verbal has nothing over Logic
Today I learned...
I am dating a man who believes that I want to go to med school to become a nurse.

.
Today I learned...
I am dating a man who believes that I want to go to med school to become a nurse.
He's not a doctor, is he?
Never too seasoned to purse your dreams 🙂!
What was your expertise, and where are you now in your pre-med journey?
You're going to do amazing on the Verbal section, lol. Verbal has nothing over Logic
I specialize in employment law, on the defense side, so I primarily represent companies in employment discrimination suits and that sort of thing. It's definitely interesting, in that every fact situation is different.
I haven't gotten far down the pre-med road. I've been shadowing doctors for the past couple of months, but I was sadly turned down for a scribe position last week. I'm starting a DIY post-bac in June. I need to take statistics, two gen. bios, and two orgos, plus a recommended two biochems. I'm still working full-time, so I'm thinking to only take two classes per semester, unless I can get the school to let me take biochem at the same time as orgo next year, which I think I'd like to try, if they will let me. Otherwise, either my MCAT will suffer (from not having biochem in advance), or I'll have to wait another year to apply. Right now, I'm aiming to apply next summer. My GPA is ok, but I hope to boost it a little (3.6, hoping to go up to 3.7). If I can get a 515 or so on the MCAT, I should be in good shape for all of the schools where I plan to apply. My ECs and volunteer work are as would be expected for someone my age and in my line of work, so at lest I don't have that to worry about.
Today I learned...
I am dating a man who believes that I want to go to med school to become a nurse.
drop him...so annoying.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thats a little harsh , It could be a honest mistake or just ignorancedrop him...so annoying.
thats a little harsh , It could be a honest mistake or just ignorance
o ok lol im harsh...and I would still drop him. It's like asking me if you go to law school to become a lawyer. I'm not even touching the sexist undertones behind his comment either bc I'm sure he wouldn't say that if a guy said he was going to med school.
Thats a big jump, nurses are involved in medicine so I can pardon that.Be annoyed call him out on his ignorance of he is a good person he will take note of that. I do agree they are sexist undertones or it could be a honest mistake, Is it wrong yes but it could be a honest mistake . If you are so quick to drop people for saying the slightest thing then you arent being a very reasonable partner.. I cant tell u how much my latina GF say crap that makes me double take but I know she means nothing by it people just say stupid things.o ok lol im harsh...and I would still drop him. It's like asking me if you go to law school to become a lawyer. I'm not even touching the sexist undertones behind his comment either bc I'm sure he wouldn't say that if a guy said he was going to med school.
Thats a big jump, nurses are involved in medicine so I can pardon that.Be annoyed call him out on his ignorance of he is a good person he will take note of that. I do agree they are sexist undertones or it could be a honest mistake, Is it wrong yes but it could be a honest mistake . If you are so quick to drop people for saying the slightest thing then you arent being a very reasonable partner.. I cant tell u how much my latina GF say crap that makes me double take but I know she means nothing by it people just say stupid things.
ok you're just nicer than me and that's ok. Don't think I would be being harsh, I'm just screening what I don't want. I would want someone who knows that if you go to medical school you are going to become a doctor.
I dont see it as being nice but being reasonable. But wadevez not important to this threadok you're just nicer than me and that's ok. Don't think I would be being harsh, I'm just screening what I don't want. I would want someone who knows that if you go to medical school you are going to become a doctor.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 542