Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Thats a big jump, nurses are involved in medicine so I can pardon that.Be annoyed call him out on his ignorance of he is a good person he will take note of that. I do agree they are sexist undertones or it could be a honest mistake, Is it wrong yes but it could be a honest mistake . If you are so quick to drop people for saying the slightest thing then you arent being a very reasonable partner.. I cant tell u how much my latina GF say crap that makes me double take but I know she means nothing by it people just say stupid things.
lolwut since when did you have a gf
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pretty frequently one of my patients will say their niece/nephew/grandson/granddaughter/cousin is in med school to make small talk. A little more talk usually reveals it's school to be a CNA, sonographer, nurse, etc. I cut the conversation off and kick them right the hell out the hospital at that point. I won't stand by and take these ignorant little digs at my training. If they have the audacity to not know medical school means physician training they can get their care on the street!
 
Pretty frequently one of my patients will say their niece/nephew/grandson/granddaughter/cousin is in med school to make small talk. A little more talk usually reveals it's school to be a CNA, sonographer, nurse, etc. I cut the conversation off and kick them right the hell out the hospital at that point. I won't stand by and take these ignorant little digs at my training. If they have the audacity to not know medical school means physician training they can get their care on the street!
From street pharmacists?
 
These responses are A1.

He said he honestly didnt know that med school is physician training. He is a few years older than I am and seems pretty smart so it came as a shock. We were on a date which made it awkward because I didnt know how to respond so I said nothing... Admittedly, my first thought was that he was being sexist, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt since he hadnt said anything like that before.

I did clear it up later though which is how I got his explaination.
 
These responses are A1.

He said he honestly didnt know that med school is physician training. He is a few years older than I am and seems pretty smart so it came as a shock. We were on a date which made it awkward because I didnt know how to respond so I said nothing... Admittedly, my first thought was that he was being sexist, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt since he hadnt said anything like that before.

I did clear it up later though which is how I got his explaination.

My post was obviously a joke, but it is very common for people outside of medicine / without contacts in medicine to not equate medical school to physician training.
 
These responses are A1.

He said he honestly didnt know that med school is physician training. He is a few years older than I am and seems pretty smart so it came as a shock. We were on a date which made it awkward because I didnt know how to respond so I said nothing... Admittedly, my first thought was that he was being sexist, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt since he hadnt said anything like that before.

I did clear it up later though which is how I got his explaination.

That's crock of bs. doesn't he have a PCP? What did he think his PCP training consisted off?

This needs to be posted in the pre allo forum thread, things misinformed pre meds say, and he's not even pre med!

:ROFL:

How old is he? 50? If he is my age, 28, or slightly older and is college educated, I shall not, and can not accept this lol

Thanks for the laughs lol
viola12.jpg
CdTyXWTUIAEW6uV.jpg
 
Can I just ask,
Why are all the fine, muscular, educated, goal oriented black men ****bois?
Like if they could just not, that would be great.

Just gonna go eat pita chips now
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
These responses are A1.

He said he honestly didnt know that med school is physician training. He is a few years older than I am and seems pretty smart so it came as a shock. We were on a date which made it awkward because I didnt know how to respond so I said nothing... Admittedly, my first thought was that he was being sexist, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt since he hadnt said anything like that before.

I did clear it up later though which is how I got his explaination.

Do you want to date someone like this? It sounds like a mismatch already. These are basics. What does his social circle look like that he doesn't know that you go to medical school to become a physician. I just could not entertain this. This would frustrate me. I couldn't do it.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Woah, let's slow down. We don't know this guy or his background but based on what I do know, this seems like a simple mistake. If this was his first introduction to a pre-med then he probably genuinely didn't know. Heck, coming from my background I didn't know how people became doctors either for a while. This is an opportunity to educate him and let him into your medical world. If he's open to correcting his mistake and learning then that's all that can be asked for. Heck, maybe some of us asked a silly question about someone else's career path because we had 0 knowledge and experience with it. Just give him a chance.
 
Woah, let's slow down. We don't know this guy or his background but based on what I do know, this seems like a simple mistake. If this was his first introduction to a pre-med then he probably genuinely didn't know. Heck, coming from my background I didn't know how people became doctors either for a while. This is an opportunity to educate him and let him into your medical world. If he's open to correcting his mistake and learning then that's all that can be asked for. Heck, maybe some of us asked a silly question about someone else's career path because we had 0 knowledge and experience with it. Just give him a chance.

Couldn't unlike this post lol
I am sorry, bit there are some careers that you should know about such as teachers, lawyers and doctors. O.O
 
I don't think the person is "stupid". Lol. I know some really educated and successful people that asked what I was going to medical school for (PA, Nurse, Doctor, etc). Lol.

I have to admit that there was a time I thought optometrists, chiropractors, and podiatrists were "doctors" (meaning doctors of Medicine that received an MD). It seems "stupid" now but I'm a kid from the inner city. It's not like I knew anyone in these professions or trying to obtain a degree in these field (not implying they couldn't). Lol.

It's not like you just know this stuff. You have to actually seek out the information. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Of course everyone can set the limit of "ignorance" they are willing to tolerate. (I like quotations. Don't judge me.)
 
Last edited:
Couldn't unlike this post lol
I am sorry, bit there are some careers that you should know about such as teachers, lawyers and doctors. O.O
Why should anyone know about them if they have no interest or exposure to them. I like to be open to the idea that not everyone is in our walk of life. So I'm not going to negatively judge someone just because we don't have knowledge of the same things. We all have to remain open minded. Heck, I'm from the hood and I've never even heard of engineering until I got to college, so I'm not going to sit here and attack someone for not knowing about medicine, but that's just me.
 
I don't think the person is "stupid". Lol. I know some really educated and successful people that asked what I was going to medical school for (PA, Nurse, Doctor, etc). Lol.

I have to admit that there was a time I thought optometrists, chiropractors, and podiatrists were "doctors" (meaning doctors of Medicine that received an MD). It seems "stupid" now but I'm a kid from the inner city. It's not like I knew anyone in these professions or trying to obtain a degree in these field (not implying they couldn't). Lol.

It's not like you just know this stuff. You have to actually seek out the information. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Of course everyone can set the limit of "ignorance" they are willing to tolerate. (I like quotations. Don't judge me.)

Ignorance is a bliss though lol
Those other side "doctors" esp chiro wants to do everything as a doctor besides going to med school. Everyone wants the status and recognition, but don't want to put in the work. They want to skate and roll on through. Nah, bruh. Stay in your lane.

I do respect them but don't fool the patients because you took the "easy" way out.

Why should anyone know about them if they have no interest or exposure to them. I like to be open to the idea that not everyone is in our walk of life. So I'm not going to negatively judge someone just because we don't have knowledge of the same things. We all have to remain open minded. Heck, I'm from the hood and I've never even heard of engineering until I got to college, so I'm not going to sit here and attack someone for not knowing about medicine, but that's just me.
I am from the hood too, but I think everyone should know that there's a school for everything. The person is not stupid, but I would look at them all funny style 😵
I would be speechless because it was an asinine comment since it should be assumed that every know about Doctors.
 
@dermocrat88 I wasn't trying to bring up other professions to compare them or criticize. I was showing my own ignorance before I became emerged in my medical journey. Lol.

I was just suggesting that maybe we shouldn't be so hard on someone that believes nurses, PAs, etc go to "med school". As I expressed, I made a similar mistake and I will be starting med school in the fall. I don't consider myself "stupid". Haha.

Edit: But I would look at someone "funny style" too. Then I would remember they aren't on this career path and simply explain.
 
@Chelsea FC its not about @WunderMay's relationship. I just think that the comments were a bit judgmental. It could have been about someone being judged about knowing something about any topic. I'm off work sick today so it won't take much to pull me in b/c I'm bored. lol

And @naijacardriodoc has me rolling. Although I was arguing the opposite, I must admit...... I literally laughed out loud.
 
@Chelsea FC its not about @WunderMay's relationship. I just think that the comments were a bit judgmental. It could have been about someone being judged about knowing something about any topic. I'm off work sick today so it won't take much to pull me in b/c I'm bored. lol

And @naijacardriodoc has me rolling. Although I was arguing the opposite, I must admit...... I literally laughed out loud.

Haha just thought I'd keep it entertaining!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@dermocrat88 I wasn't trying to bring up other professions to compare them or criticize. I was showing my own ignorance before I became emerged in my medical journey. Lol.

I was just suggesting that maybe we shouldn't be so hard on someone that believes nurses, PAs, etc go to "med school". As I expressed, I made a similar mistake and I will be starting med school in the fall. I don't consider myself "stupid". Haha.

Edit: But I would look at someone "funny style" too. Then I would remember they aren't on this career path and simply explain.

Fair enough lol. Give people the benefit of the doubt lol

Anybody fully decided on where they will be in the fall?

Have no idea! Where are you goinggoing?
 
@dermocrat88 @member000000000 I think I've decided to go to OSU 🙂 (still waiting for financial aid though...and maybe NYU accepting me lol)
 
Why should anyone know about them if they have no interest or exposure to them. I like to be open to the idea that not everyone is in our walk of life. So I'm not going to negatively judge someone just because we don't have knowledge of the same things. We all have to remain open minded. Heck, I'm from the hood and I've never even heard of engineering until I got to college, so I'm not going to sit here and attack someone for not knowing about medicine, but that's just me.

Idk man, I feel like even by entertainment/media standards, you always just kind of understood that medical school for was for, well, doctors...

I don't think the person is "stupid". Lol. I know some really educated and successful people that asked what I was going to medical school for (PA, Nurse, Doctor, etc). Lol.

I have to admit that there was a time I thought optometrists, chiropractors, and podiatrists were "doctors" (meaning doctors of Medicine that received an MD). It seems "stupid" now but I'm a kid from the inner city. It's not like I knew anyone in these professions or trying to obtain a degree in these field (not implying they couldn't). Lol.

It's not like you just know this stuff. You have to actually seek out the information. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Of course everyone can set the limit of "ignorance" they are willing to tolerate. (I like quotations. Don't judge me.)

I think the opto, chiro, pod idea makes more sense to not know rather than the arguement at hand lol

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize we all agreed to drop this topic lmao
 
Last edited:
I'm from California but currently reside in Dallas. I have a ton of family in Stl (U City), down the street from Wash U. Really looking forward to it!

Oh okay, cool so you have folks that know the area. Good stuff! And congrats on your acceptance!
 
@PREMEDitated22 and @Stereotaxic Congrats on your decisions! I'll keep my fingers crossed for waitlist movement for you guys!

I'm praying that I make up my mind soon #indecisive


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My post was obviously a joke, but it is very common for people outside of medicine / without contacts in medicine to not equate medical school to physician training.

I loved your response, though. It gave me a good laugh.
I do know that not everyone is familiar with every profession in the medical field or how one trains for a specific medical profession; this is exactly why I had a talk with him after the fact.

Sorry for de-railing the thread, everyone 😉
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted since the new year!

I have 3 more weeks 'til finals. I think I can. I think I can...
 
I'm black (AA). Pre-Med starting classes next month, so nervous. My dream of becoming a MD seems like a pipe dream, I've never been a straight A student. I have a different attitude towards school now, and hoping I can turn this dream into a reality. I got this ! I graduated high school last May, class of 2015. I feel so behind I'm 19 and will just be starting college. I didn't start last fall because of financial aid was being a pain in the butt. Now that I got it situated I'll be starting next month. A week or so before I turn 20. I feel old, and I look 16 still according to everyone.
 
Last edited:
I'm black (AA). Pre-Med starting classes next month, so nervous. My dream of becoming a MD seems like a pipe dream, I've never been a straight A student. I have a different attitude towards school now, and hoping I can turn this dream into a reality. I got this ! I graduated high school last May, class of 2015. I feel so behind I'm 19 and will just be starting college. I didn't start last fall because of financial aid was being a pain in the butt. Now that I got it situated I'll be starting next month. A week or so before I turn 20. I feel old, and I look 16 still according to everyone.

Focus on your future and don't harbor on the past. You're in college and you will become a docto . Stay focused and grind! Don't take this for granted
I turned 28 three weeks ago, bimut people mistake me for 24 😉. Fine wine, fermented with melanin will do to you