You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Black premeds/doctors around?
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Someone says something you dont like you just move along.
Gotta pick the right time and place. Internet forum? Don't care. Physicians lounge at my hospital? Oh, the ignorance gets called out every. Single. Time.
@teeayejay I don't want SDN's SPF to become that, and to ban the minority voice (I could be wrong, but I am not sure there are many other URMs giving their opinions in the SP forum) seems to be giving the majority, many of whom hold interesting and uninformed beliefs, free reign to infiltrate people's hearts and minds without a balanced viewpoint from someone different.
I just want to make sure that everyone knows, out of the SPF "regulars" (about a dozen folks), one or two are Native American, two are Muslim, one or two are Black, and a couple (myself included) are Hispanic/Mexican. And those are just the ones I know personally.
No one is "silencing the minority voice"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted642188
tf I can't believe she got banned.
Keep in mind the white supremacist isn't banned.
The reason why he is not banned is that - despite our forum's disagreement with the lad - he still articulates his positions and arguments to the point where there is discourse in his threads, and the man is entitled to free speech on SDN as long as he doesn't violate Las Reglas. Sorry to have burst your bubbles, commissar Alphabeta<3.
Your "friend" if memory served me right was already on probation and this was most likely her third strike. I would say that the mods have been lenient despite that she has spammed the URM forum with irrelevant threads that had nothing to do with health care and has posted racist bullocks like this.
However, from my interactions with her, I must concede that she was an interesting woman and that I bode her good fortunes.
Any-hoo I will leave it at that and will not respond to posts concerning this topic for the purpose of not hijacking it... Keep calm and carry on!
Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go.
To people who have been to the schools, - what are the facilities like at Morehouse, Meharry, and Howard?
Haven't been to Howard, but for what it's worth, facilities-wise, Meharry > Morehouse. They (Meharry) just got a fairly new building put in with updated equipment and standardized patient practice rooms. Morehouse felt old and cramped at some parts during the tour, but it serves its purpose.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Haven't been to Howard, but for what it's worth, facilities-wise, Meharry > Morehouse. They (Meharry) just got a fairly new building put in with updated equipment and standardized patient practice rooms. Morehouse felt old and cramped at some parts during the tour, but it serves its purpose.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
@pathhermit
Yeah, MH has some somewhat dated facilities but it's not unbearable. Howard has a whole new standardized patient practice area that they just built but otherwise has some dated facilities as well, again not unbearable. I've never been to Meharry.
MH would be about equal to Howard except for the new SP area at Howard.
Haven't been to Howard, but for what it's worth, facilities-wise, Meharry > Morehouse. They (Meharry) just got a fairly new building put in with updated equipment and standardized patient practice rooms. Morehouse felt old and cramped at some parts during the tour, but it serves its purpose.
I was going to say the opposite- after I asked whether the question meant the med school facilities, or the hospitals.
As I am well past the pre-clinical stage I thought of hospitals first. In my mind, the "Grady factor" cannot be overstated. I don't know a single person who spent any amount of time at Grady, who hasn't gushed about the education they got. Maybe I've built it up in my head because of that. But as someone dedicated to the underserved, If I were forced to name one regret about my med school/residency, it'd be the fact that I didn't experience Grady by going through Morehouse or Emory at some point.
In comparison, Nashville Metro (I think Nashville General now) seemed pretty unstable, with multiple talks of closing various services while I was there. My impression was that the patient load and variety of pathology was not as robust as other public hospitals- I don't believe there's a trauma unit, for example.
I was going to say the opposite- after I asked whether the question meant the med school facilities, or the hospitals.
As I am well past the pre-clinical stage I thought of hospitals first. In my mind, the "Grady factor" cannot be overstated. I don't know a single person who spent any amount of time at Grady, who hasn't gushed about the education they got. Maybe I've built it up in my head because of that. But as someone dedicated to the underserved, If I were forced to name one regret about my med school/residency, it'd be the fact that I didn't experience Grady by going through Morehouse or Emory at some point.
In comparison, Nashville Metro (I think Nashville General now) seemed pretty unstable, with multiple talks of closing various services while I was there. My impression was that the patient load and variety of pathology was not as robust as other public hospitals- I don't believe there's a trauma unit, for example.
Yeah, Grady is the ****. One of the largest public hospitals in the southeast. About 1000 beds and a level 1 trauma center.. Enough pathology and trauma to go around. Don't know if this is true or not but I heard they've even been known to service major traumas all the way from northern FL.
I'd like to think I'm an honorary ATLien by UG so I'm a little biased haha.
To people who have been to the schools, - what are the facilities like at Morehouse, Meharry, and Howard?
Morehouse seemed pretty tiny, maybe about 7 small buildings. I didn't get to see much of it though so I'm sure that doesn't help you at all, haha. I haven't been to the other two yet. I did speak with someone that interviewed at Howard recently and it was described as very outdated looking, yet wonderful. They said when they walked in they thought they entered an old church. Apparently, Howard recently got several new pieces of equipment (or something) that tour guides kept mentioning, so that's good. The person that was interviewed said the people were amazing and that Howard really felt like home. Also, that if they get in they are going to choose it over Geffen.
I find it crass to speak ill of a member no longer here to defend herself.
By way of introduction, my name is Benedict. I offer you a very warm and welcoming hello. I genuinely hope to make your individual acquaintanceships and support you on your journeys.
By way of introduction, my name is Benedict. I offer you a very warm and welcoming hello. I genuinely hope to make your individual acquaintanceships and support you on your journeys.
Last edited:
Hmm, you seem familiar.Not to be disruptive, but it's crass to speak ill of a member no longer here to defend herself.
![]()
This thread has taking a great turn to the off topic road... One of the reasons I made a thread about the point of threads like these.
How convientent. Member since yesterday, the account in question banned yesterday. New user decides to read through 23 pages of this thread and the first message is defending the banned account while using a social injustice meme. And their account is private. Hmm indeed.Hmm, you seem familiar.
lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
Props that looks like it takes a lot of work. Looks good!
I should try this
.
Last edited:
Conspiracy theorists, think what you will. This is a supportive environment. Don't come to this thread with your petty drama.
Hello, DrDrew.
Hello, DrDrew.
lmao. This is starting to get kind of weird.
Edit: lol. she got blocked again.
Last edited:
lmao. This is starting to get kind of weird.
Right. Just drop it people.
How many of the regulars on here are applying next year/taking MCAT?
Does anyone who went through the process this year have any advice?
Does anyone who went through the process this year have any advice?
Best advice would be to apply as early as possible with your best effort on your application. If you already have your MCAT scores, then put 110% into completing as perfect of an application as possible. If you still have to take your MCAT, then focus on that, and while awaiting scores, complete your primary application. If you're doing the Fee Assistance Program, make sure you have all of the required materials so that there isn't any holdup. If you're not doing the Fee Assistance Program, be sure to have money saved up as the application process can be very expensive quickly (primary, secondaries, travels, hotels). It may take some time for schools to send out secondaries but use SDN as a resource. Very few schools will change their secondary essays from year to year. Take a look at this current cycle to get an idea of what they'll ask, or even better, work off of those questions so that there won't be any delay. If your university has practice interviews, DO use them, as they were the best practice for me personally. Go in with a positive mind and don't get discouraged. You will end up where you're supposed to be. Best of luck!How many of the regulars on here are applying next year/taking MCAT?
Does anyone who went through the process this year have any advice?
To people who have been to the schools, - what are the facilities like at Morehouse, Meharry, and Howard?
As noted above, if we are considering hospital facilities the Grady Effect should really be taken into account. Fantastic facility!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
She is a tenacious one, I'll give her that.lol. she got blocked again.
Maybe im mistaken. Maybe she wasn't the one who came back with an alt account after getting banned. Maybe she wasn't the one who's original account who changed this topic from being supportive to gossip about Lil Kim. I know some of my own posts may come off as trollish or stupid, but come on, making an alternative account as some form of comeback is never good.Conspiracy theorists, think what you will. This is a supportive environment. Don't come to this thread with your petty drama.
How many of the regulars on here are applying next year/taking MCAT?
Does anyone who went through the process this year have any advice?
To piggy back on what was already stated , DO YOUR RESEARCH ON SCHOOLS NOW (sorry for yelling). What I mean is that "fit" is very important to adcoms and can tip the odds in your favor. Your stats may/may not get you far, but at the end of the day I think knowing that you're the right fit for the medical school will do you justice- immensely.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I've visited Meharry and morehouse. It seems morehouse facilities are a bit more updated. But Meharry just built a brand new building that is gorgeous! And Morehouse campus is more so centered in one building where as Meharry seemed to have more than one buildingTo people who have been to the schools, - what are the facilities like at Morehouse, Meharry, and Howard?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To piggy back on what was already stated , DO YOUR RESEARCH ON SCHOOLS NOW (sorry for yelling). What I mean is that "fit" is very important to adcoms and can tip the odds in your favor. Your stats may/may not get you far, but at the end of the day I think knowing that you're the right fit for the medical school will do you justice- immensely.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I can attest to this personally. My stats were below the average but my profile fit the mission of my school. Actually for two schools I was accepted to.
Last edited:
How many of the regulars on here are applying next year/taking MCAT?
Does anyone who went through the process this year have any advice?
Number one thing you can do for yourself... Is focus on the mcat. Don't worry about primaries,secondaries and personal statements. You need to do really well. Take a lot of practice tests (15 ) if u can, have a "one and done mentality" for the test so you can put ur all into it and actually understand the content. Do not just memorize. I did well in the sections because I knew the content and had practiced using Aamc and Kaplan materials so well. That's the number one thing you can do. The other things will fix themselves once you have a good score and apply early.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Do you mind me asking your stats and the school in question?I can attest to this personally. My stats were below the average but my profile fit the mission of my school.
My dream school is a super reach. Like I do great EC's, but that's not the only thing that matters unfortunately lol
Do you mind me asking your stats and the school in question?
My dream school is a super reach. Like I do great EC's, but that's not the only thing that matters unfortunately lol
What is your dream school?
Did we talk about Lemonade?
So much #blackgirlmagic in it. Amandla, Zendaya, Serena to name a few ❤
@22031 Alum I pm'd you 🙂
So much #blackgirlmagic in it. Amandla, Zendaya, Serena to name a few ❤
@22031 Alum I pm'd you 🙂
Last edited:
Y'all, now that I'm about to graduate and don't have anything to do (not working) I'm wondering what to do with myself LOL been a long time since I had a good amount of time to be myself outside of the pre-med world.
Y'all, now that I'm about to graduate and don't have anything to do (not working) I'm wondering what to do with myself LOL been a long time since I had a good amount of time to be myself outside of the pre-med world.
LOL I certainly am. Planning to catch up on reading but at this very moment I'm like " aren't I supposed to be doing something?".
That's normal. I suffered from a serious case of that between undergrad and med school and 1st year and 2nd year. You are so used to working all the time that you literally don't know what to do with yourself when you're not.LOL I certainly am. Planning to catch up on reading but at this very moment I'm like " aren't I supposed to be doing something?".😆
LOL I certainly am. Planning to catch up on reading but at this very moment I'm like " aren't I supposed to be doing something?".😆
I graduated a semester early and traveled. It was glorious. I miss those days. **** this being a grown up ****! [emoji31]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
LOL I certainly am. Planning to catch up on reading but at this very moment I'm like " aren't I supposed to be doing something?".😆
NO! Do NOTHING. At all lol. Read books, stay on youtube all day, binge-watch all the shows, exercise, go out with friend, get wasted (responsibly), enjoy your time.
That's normal. I suffered from a serious case of that between undergrad and med school and 1st year and 2nd year. You are so used to working all the time that you literally don't know what to do with yourself when you're not.
Exactly lol.
NO! Do NOTHING. At all lol. Read books, stay on youtube all day, binge-watch all the shows, exercise, go out with friend, get wasted (responsibly), enjoy your time.
You too!!! Are you working this summer?
Exactly lol.
You too!!! Are you working this summer?
I been put in my two weeks. I'm done with work and class next week. I'll only have about month and some change off tho before school starts. That'll probably be just long enough for me to be ready to learn something again lol
I have only a month tooI been put in my two weeks. I'm done with work and class next week. I'll only have about month and some change off tho before school starts. That'll probably be just long enough for me to be ready to learn something again lol
That's enough time to make a solid pass through first aid!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No! LolThat's enough time to make a solid pass through first aid!
I put an emoji but it didn't go through, makes that look super awk lolI have only a month too
I put an emoji but it didn't go through, makes that look super awk lol
lol..almost creep life-ish, right?
Wow, just finished my sophomore year and I don't really know what to do with myself now that orgo is no longer ruining my life???
Wow, just finished my sophomore year and I don't really know what to do with myself now that orgo is no longer ruining my life???
Congrats!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 533