Blade Opines on Money and Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is. We still have one rental property 30y @ 6.5% with a post-crash LTV that as of 5 or 6 months ago wasn't amenable to refinancing without taking $80K to the table. We've resolved to just go ahead and do it anyway later this year and get into a 15y @ ~3%, but if its appraised value goes up, it'll mean we have to take less to closing.

I still worry a bit about what will happen to home values when mortgage interest rates go up. But that seems likely to be at least a few years off, if the Fed can bet trusted.

You should. A simple model that roguhly predicts home prices is to assume that on average people will mortgage themselves to the hilt. The interest rate goes up the less that they can borrow.

Home prices and rents do not exist in a vacuum, and the factors that influence them are simple: the mortgage rate and the salaries of those in the local market. Interest rates go up...People can afford less house. Salaries go up...they can afford more.

Members don't see this ad.

You should. A simple model that roguhly predicts home prices is to assume that on average people will mortgage themselves to the hilt. The interest rate goes up the less that they can borrow.

Home prices and rents do not exist in a vacuum, and the factors that influence them are simple: the mortgage rate and the salaries of those in the local market. Interest rates go up...People can afford less house. Salaries go up...they can afford more.

Exactly, people buy houses the way 19 year old Marines buy muscle cars with their first steady paycheck. Near total disregard for actual purchase price, total fixation on the monthly payment they can "afford" ...

I fully expect another housing price slump if not crash when interest rates rise. But I'm trying to unlearn my market prediction habits when it comes to things like rate changes. :) If the housing market ticks up a bit this year, I'll just be grateful for a more favorable appraisal when we go in to refi down to a shorter loan at a much lower rate, and let the housing market do what it does.

Members don't see this ad :)

Doze,

The cost of buying vs renting a home has never been better. For a person who likes to sell when things looks overpriced and buy when things look cheap the purchase of a home today seems like a no brainer.

Yes, Interest rates will rise eventually but home prices aren't going any lower from here. How much they will appreaciate is a guess but historical norms probably apply.

NEW YORK, Jan. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Credit Suisse today announced the launch of its new Gold Shares Covered Call ETN which is listed under the ticker symbol "GLDI" and began trading on the NASDAQ this morning. GLDI is the first exchange traded product in the US market to offer investors access to a covered call strategy on a gold investment and is designed to pay variable monthly coupons.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20091204/CSLOGO )

GLDI, which tracks the Credit Suisse NASDAQ Gold FLOWS™ (Formula-Linked OverWrite Strategy)103 Index, seeks to implement a rolling "covered call" investment strategy by maintaining a notional long position in shares of the SPDR® Gold Trust ETF (GLD) while notionally selling monthly out-of-the-money call options on that position. Holders of GLDI will be entitled to receive variable monthly payments based on the notional option premiums received from the sale of the covered call options each month.

"Gold is often criticized as a portfolio investment because of its lack of any yield," said Greg King , head of exchange traded products in Credit Suisse's Investment Bank. "Covered call strategies however, are designed to enhance yield in exchange for sacrificing part of the upside of an investment position. GLDI seeks to provide investors and their advisors an interesting new way to introduce monthly cash flows into their portfolios."

Credit Suisse partnered with NASDAQ OMX in creating the FLOWS™ suite of indices that the ETN tracks. "We are elated that the Credit Suisse Gold FLOWS™ 103 Index ETN has listed on The NASDAQ Stock Market and is now available to investors," said Robert Hughes , Vice President, NASDAQ OMX Global Indexes. "Based on uncertainty in the global marketplace, investors continue to look for access to gold and income. GLDI provides access to these two key investment themes in a transparent rules-based methodology. Credit Suisse is a valuable partner of ours and bringing the FLOWS index family and GLDI to market demonstrates our shared commitment to giving investors more flexibility in customizing their investment strategies."

More information on the Credit Suisse Gold FLOWS™ 103 Index ETN can be found on: www.credit-suisse.com/etn

PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1z5Pe)

I'm no expert, but it sounds complicated. Why does buying gold or anything else need to be complicated?

From the press release, it sounds like they're trying to squeeze something extra out of GLD ("enhance yield in exchange for sacrificing part of the upside of an investment position"), naturally with some extra transactions (at extra cost). I can't tell if they actually hold the GLD position too (with those fees on top of their own) or if it's some kind of simulated notional bit-manipulation. A nebulous ill-defined but undesirable limit on the upside ... the hope of manufacturing yield out of owning a paper claim on a lump of yellow metal ... call me dubious.

Can you articulate in 15 words or less why you're buying gold in the first place? Eg
- "I think its value will go way up"
- "Wealth preservation in case of high inflation"
- "It's sometimes noncorrelated with other asset classes"
- "Glenn Beck told me to buy it and a #10 can of heirloom garden seeds"
and then explain in specific terms how THAT particular investment meets your objective better than the alternatives.

I don't use gold in my portfolio but if I did it would be one of two ways.

-Precious metals equity- own the stocks of the miners and producers dealers or own the physical gold.
I don't trust GLD ETF to have all the gold it says it does in a crisis, plus I don't believe that you have the right to take physical delivery of your gold. There is a silver fund that will let you take physical delivery though (for a fee) I really have doubts about ETNs. You are taking credit risk in addition to the equity risk.

BTW covered call strategies tend to undercompensate you for the risk that you take- If the price of Gold shoots way high, you will miss out on a good chunk of the upside with covered calls. Don't know the details of this product though it might have some features to minimize this, but I wouldn't own any ETN.

Not close to a band. Always allocating new money to underweighted asset classes. So I only need to rebalance after strong volatility

I think homes are still overpriced (bubble-esque). When I looked on Zillow.com I saw way too many homes for sale for the prices to rise significantly. At least that was how I felt in the areas I was looking. Might be different in your areas.

Doze,

The cost of buying vs renting a home has never been better. For a person who likes to sell when things looks overpriced and buy when things look cheap the purchase of a home today seems like a no brainer.

Yes, Interest rates will rise eventually but home prices aren't going any lower from here. How much they will appreaciate is a guess but historical norms probably apply.

Rising interest rates put a drag on escalating home prices. Falling interest rates light a fire under them. (the fire may not be enough- i.e. the last five years). It is not rocket science. I would agree that house prices on a national average basis don't have much to fall from this point (if at all) doesn't mean that they will appreciate much either. Might just match inflation. Again on a national average basis.

If you are confident of your income and plans to drop anchor for awhile It is a better time to buy now than it has been in quite awhile.

Gold and Silver taking a beating today. Big boys are manipulating the market. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Gold and Silver taking a beating today. Big boys are manipulating the market. :mad:

Agree. Gold costs $1100-1200 to dig up out of the ground.
Silver looks good at under $23 an ounce.

I hold these Metals as part of a diversified portfolio so when they go down a lot I buy more.

Even if you don't see the value in Gold look at Silver and Platinum. Those metals are used for commercial use so they do serve a purpose.

Agree. Gold costs $1100-1200 to dig up out of the ground.
Silver looks good at under $23 an ounce.

I hold these Metals as part of a diversified portfolio so when they go down a lot I buy more.

Even if you don't see the value in Gold look at Silver and Platinum. Those metals are used for commercial use so they do serve a purpose.

This doesn't put a floor under the price. It just means that production will be unprofitable or stop if gold drops below that point.

I think that the sell off was caused by "Narcotized" selling his gold to cover his short of Tresaurys

This doesn't put a floor under the price. It just means that production will be unprofitable or stop if gold drops below that point.

I think that the sell off was caused by "Narcotized" selling his gold to cover his short of Tresaurys

Correct, there is lots of gold that changes hands all the time. When the price is high enough you get little old ladies bringing in their jewelry to increase the supply further. The cost of mining is not the floor of a price for gold. It's a commodity with a price based on supply and demand, the same as everything else. If the demand isn't there, the price will fall.

This time I want platinum and Silver. Platinum is WAY down here as well as Silver. I really like Platinum at $1350 and can't wait to buy it at that price.

Time is on my side. Buy low. That means NOW is a great time to be a buyer of Silver and Platinum. I would like a 10% decline from here then I'm a big time buyer.

If you have ever considered buying Silver or Platinum as part of your portfolio now is the time to get in.

Gold Bears say the "value" of Gold is around $1200. Keep that in mind and remember during corrections the stock/commodity usually falls significantly below fair value.

Gold Miners are being trashed like they will never be profitable again.

Platinum is tracked around the clock on the commodity markets around the world. In periods of relative stability on the political and financial fronts, it is normally valued well above gold. That's because platinum is extremely scarce. It is rarer than gold, and there is much less of the metal mined than gold each year. All the platinum that exists in the world would fit inside a cube with 6.3 meter (20 feet) sides. In comparison, all the gold ever mined would fit inside a cube 25 meters (82 feet) to a side.

Industrial uses of platinum

Because platinum is an excellent catalyst in many chemical processes, it is extensively used in catalytic converters in cars. These are devices placed in the exhaust system that reduce the harmful emissions from combustion engines and convert them to less damaging substances.

The automobile industry absorbs more than half of all the platinum that's produced each year. That demand is predicted to rise as the auto industry recovers from the recent crisis. Automakers will spend around $7 billion on platinum in 2012, which is 17% more than in 2011, and thus the most used since 2007. This development is in spite of some automakers buying recycled platinum and using more palladium for the same purpose.

An interesting factor for the future price of platinum is the use of platinum in fuel cells. A market for fuel cell-powered cars is expected to develop over the next decades.

In addition, platinum is utilized in electrodes, batteries, disk drives, monitors and many pieces of electronic equipment.

The chemical industry and petroleum industry also buy platinum.

The industrial uses of platinum is where the majority of demand will arise. See more about that here: Platinum price in the future.

While many commodities are struggling, good news continues to pour in for the platinum-group metals. This time, many analysts are becoming more bullish on palladium, largely thanks to supply worries in the market.

In fact, according to Ross Stachan, commodities economist at Capital Economics, palladium prices could have further to run by the end of 2014. In a recent MarketWatch piece, he declared that prices for platinum and palladium could rise by about a fifth before the end of next year, mostly on the back of supply concerns from some of the big producers in South Africa.

Car Market

It also doesn't hurt that demand is keeping up, pushed higher on solid auto sales. Total annualized sales of domestic vehicles are holding steady above 12 million, and this could help to buoy palladium demand in the near term (read Palladium and Platinum ETFs to Soar?).

This is especially important as palladium is a key component in catalytic converters for gasoline-powered engines, something that is more popular in the U.S. and China than it is in Europe. So the slowdown in European car sales hasn't been as much of an issue for palladium, while it has detracted from platinum's appeal in the same time frame.

Russian Connection

Investors should also note that Russia, along with South Africa, is a key supplier of palladium supplies. The country is very hush-hush on its stocks of the metal though, so investors must glean information from a variety of tangential reports.

One such source is the Swiss trade figures, as the country is a major thoroughfare for the metal. Imports were quite low once again, leading many to think that Russia is running low on its palladium reserves.

Many gold producers will struggle to stay afloat if the gold price slumps below $1,200 analysts have told CNBC, potentially putting the gold mining industry at severe risk beyond 2017, according to Goldman Sachs predictions.

The much talked about decline in gold continued on Monday, with spot prices falling $1,400, compounding fears the 12-year run in the precious metal has finally come to an end.

Gold miners were especially hard hit, with a sell-off in the sector in Australia, China and the U.K.

But at what point does the demise of the gold price make gold miners uninvestable?

"As you get closer to the cash cost production for gold, which is around $1,200 an ounce, people get nervous," Jonathan Barratt, founder of Barratt's Bulletin told CNBC.

(Read More: Why a Cyprus Gold Sale Isn't Being Take Seriously)

James Sutton, client portfolio manager of the J.P. Morgan Natural Resources fund, agreed, telling CNBC: "The level where we think the gold mining industry will struggle is $1,200."

While he said gold may not reach those levels, the fund was taking precautions, trimming its gold holdings to lows not seen since the financial crisis.

"Gold is now just over 20 percent in both the European and U.K. portfolios, which is a meaningful step change from where we were last summer when we had 31 percent, and it is the lowest weighting we have had in gold since the financial crisis," he said.

As mine production makes up just 10 percent of the gold industry, people could still gain exposure to gold through many different avenues, but many businesses extracting gold from the ground could fold, he added.

"It is around about the $1,200 we think the gold industry as a whole struggles, but there are many companies that can still survive and be profitable," said Sutton "If there was a further deterioration in the gold market, then our portfolio would become even more concentrated in those stocks that we thought were going to be the last men standing."

(Read More: Cyprus Central Bank Denies Plan to Sell Gold)

Goldman Sachs, which downgraded its gold price target and advised investors to short the precious metal last week, said its long term price forecast from 2017 onward is $1,200 and so recommended producers lock in current gold prices for 2013 and beyond.

"Over that horizon forecast, we expect U.S.real rates to stabilize and see risks to U.S. inflation as more symmetrical. And while higher inflation may be the catalyst for the next cycle in gold prices, this is likely to be several years away," analysts led by Damien Courvalin said.

(Read More: Goldman Closes Gold Position, Says Time to Short)

Gold Investors Battered

For investors in gold mining funds, 2013 has already been a very bad year.

Globally, gold mining and resource funds are down 10 percent on average in just the first quarter, before the latest falls,with the worst performing fund down 22 percent, according to investment research firm Morningstar.

In the U.K., eight out of the ten worst performing funds in first quarter were gold and resources funds with an average loss of 12 percent, compared to the FTSE 100, which rose 9.29 percent over the same period, according to Morningstar

2011%201oz%20Gold%20Eagle.jpg

Real U.S. Currency. I think of Gold as part of my F.U. account; the portion of my portfolio which offers insurance against fiat currency debasement.

I scaled out in late April and have been waiting for a pullback. Stocks are taking a hit with Bernake hinting at cutting back QE in the future. The general sentiment is that is unlikely to happen soon, so this pullback seems to be an over-reaction. On the other hand, markets typically sell in May, which hasn't happened, and have had quite a run. A pullback is overdue and maybe this is just an excuse. Not sure what my next move is.

2011%201oz%20Gold%20Eagle.jpg

Real U.S. Currency. I think of Gold as part of my F.U. account; the portion of my portfolio which offers insurance against fiat currency debasement.

Where/how do you buy silver and gold coins at a good rate? How do you know they are real? I am not even at a novice level (obviously), but interested in learning.

Where/how do you buy silver and gold coins at a good rate? How do you know they are real? I am not even at a novice level (obviously), but interested in learning.

I don't own gold. But if I were going to purchase physical gold, these folks have a good rep on the bogleheads forum.
http://www.apmex.com

Right now you can expect to pay a premium in the range of 4-5% when you buy. Right now, if selling you can get full spot price maybe 1% over because physical is in short supply.

Ten years ago (when nobody was talking about gold) you were looking at 3-5% on both ends of the transaction.

Don't forget that when you sell the special collectibles tax applies.
So if you earn over $250,000 and make $100K profit on selling gold bullion even if held over one year, you will owe $33,000 federal taxes plus maybe state taxes as well.

Danger Will Robinson

I don't own gold. But if I were going to purchase physical gold, these folks have a good rep on the bogleheads forum.

Right now you can expect to pay a premium in the range of 4-5% when you buy. Right now, if selling you can get full spot price maybe 1% over because physical is in short supply.

Ten years ago (when nobody was talking about gold) you were looking at 3-5% on both ends of the transaction.

So if you earn over $250,000 and make $100K profit on selling gold bullion even if held over one year, you will owe $33,000 federal taxes plus maybe state taxes as well.

Danger Will Robinson

Right. I'll make sure to send the IRS their 33% when I exchange my U.S. Gold coins for U.S. paper currency.;)

Danger Will Robinson

This is a fair point. Gold/silver should be seen as an inflation hedge instead of an investment. It makes a good part of a FU account because you arent supposed to use that money lightly anyways and if it is just going to sit in a liquid form, it might as well be in a form that holds its value over the decades.

This is a fair point. Gold/silver should be seen as an inflation hedge instead of an investment. It makes a good part of a FU account because you arent supposed to use that money lightly anyways and if it is just going to sit in a liquid form, it might as well be in a form that holds its value over the decades.

Agree. And it's nice to look at as well. I'm not advocating this but many sellers of gold coins don't report a dime to the IRS and the sale isn't traceable.

Selling Gold for cash is liking buying a large, expensive item on the Internet. Both require that taxes be paid to the appropriate agencies but few people pay it.

If you're going to hold it as a hedge vs inflation, be prepared to hold it a very long time. For a all of the 80s and 90s gold lagged inflation and lost real value. That could happen again. I don't think it will, but I no longer save and invest based on my predictions of future world events. :) I now have a set % that I keep in gold and only buy or sell it when it strays too far from that %.

apmex.com is where I've purchased my physical gold and silver over the last few years. They have raised their premiums a bit, but at least you can be sure of what you're getting. A friend of mine just bought some Morgan "silver" dollars a week or two ago - they were steel. They looked perfect. Of course, the tip off should've been the guy at the side of the road selling them for 1/2 spot price ... :D

It is times like these that investors are tested, and often fail to stick to their discipline and they pay for it.
Assuming that you had a well thought out plan: Follow it. Buy whatever your asset allocation calls for.

Personally I got close to a rebalancing band in stocks, but never quite there except for trimming REITs . New money for the last year plus has been going to bonds as the market rose, Even though I knew that a period like this for bonds were coming at some point. So what am I doing? Looking for tax loss flipping opportunities on municpal bond funds e.g. Vanguard int term tax exemt for limited term tax exempt. - Using specific share identification method and being cognizant of special rules for tax loss harvesting muni bonds.

For those who hold a targeted percentage of gold as part of a well though out plan, this is when you should be thinking of buying more-if you hit a rebalancing band. Note how badly gold has been hit. It is historically volatile and with rates rising the opportunity cost of holding it goes up.

Note how riskier bond funds such as emerging market bonds are hit worse than treasuries and high quality municipal bonds. Those extra few points of yield are rarely worth the risk for the "safe" part of the portfolio. In other words it takes a lot of interest to make up for lost principal. Always look at your portfolio as a whole.

It is times like these that investors are tested, and often fail to stick to their discipline and they pay for it.
Assuming that you had a well thought out plan: Follow it. Buy whatever your asset allocation calls for.
I sold some equities and bought some gold a couple weeks ago for exactly that reason.

The only other change I've made in the last 5 or 6 months was to decide to use the TSP G fund for as much of my bond allocation as I could. Maybe it's light market timing to choose to do that now, but the G fund doesn't have the same interest rate risk as other bond funds.

Any international REIT funds out there with reasonable expense ratios? They all seem to be pretty high so I haven't been able to talk myself into buying any even though my original AA plan called for some.

Last edited:

Personally I got close to a rebalancing band in stocks, but never quite there except for trimming REITs . New money for the last year plus has been going to bonds as the market rose, Even though I knew that a period like this for bonds were coming at some point. So what am I doing? Looking for tax loss flipping opportunities on municpal bond funds e.g. Vanguard int term tax exemt for limited term tax exempt. - Using specific share identification method and being cognizant of special rules for tax loss harvesting muni bonds.

For those who hold a targeted percentage of gold as part of a well though out plan, this is when you should be thinking of buying more-if you hit a rebalancing band. Note how badly gold has been hit. It is historically volatile and with rates rising the opportunity cost of holding it goes up.

Note how riskier bond funds such as emerging market bonds are hit worse than treasuries and high quality municipal bonds. Those extra few points of yield are rarely worth the risk for the "safe" part of the portfolio. In other words it takes a lot of interest to make up for lost principal. Always look at your portfolio as a whole.

Agree. I've been waiting 7 months for this pullback. I will be buying equities and precious metals very soon. I'm hoping for another 3 percent drop from here.

Gold below $1300 (?1260) looks great as do emerging market funds with the recent crater. So much on sale right now like GDX

I'd rather hold Gold than treasuries. I'd also treat emerging market bonds as risky investments with higher returns and volatility than other bonds (except maybe junk).

Overall, I like these days as I have a lot of cash to invest for the long run (more than 10 years)

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Gold for August delivery dropped $87.80 an ounce to close at $1,286.20 in Nymex floor trade, the lowest finish since September 2010, according to FactSet. Gold and other metals plunged a day after Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke indicated the central bank could begin to scale back its bond purchases later this year. July silver dropped $1.80 to finish at $19.82 an ounce, while July platinum dropped $60.10 to close at $1,363.80 an ounce.

I sold some equities and bought some gold a couple weeks ago for exactly that reason.

The only other change I've made in the last 5 or 6 months was to decide to use the TSP G fund for as much of my bond allocation as I could. Maybe it's light market timing to choose to do that now, but the G fund doesn't have the same interest rate risk as other bond funds.

Any international REIT funds out there with reasonable expense ratios? They all seem to be pretty high so I been able to talk myself into buying any even though my original AA plan called for some.

VNQI
RWX

International REITs are cheaper than US REITs and have higher expected future returns. I hold 50% of my REITs as international. They are suitable only for tax deferred or tax free accounts. Int stocks are cheaper than US stocks in general.

VNQI
RWX

International REITs are cheaper than US REITs and have higher expected future returns. I hold 50% of my REITs as international. They are suitable only for tax deferred or tax free accounts. Int stocks are cheaper than US stocks in general.

Thanks, I had 30% intl as my target. It was a while ago that I went looking ... don't know how I missed the Vanguard ETF. The Schwab Intl REIT is a full 1% higher than their domestic REIT, and a few others I looked at were >1% too, and then I guess I got distracted by something else. :)

Gold below $1300 (?1260) looks great as do emerging market funds with the recent crater. So much on sale right now like GDX

GDX is a fund of gold mining companies though, not gold. Are you counting it toward your equity or your gold position?

I'd rather hold Gold than treasuries. I'd also treat emerging market bonds as risky investments with higher returns and volatility than other bonds (except maybe junk).

Seems the classic argument against holding gold - it pays no dividends, has no expected growth - might also apply toward a lot of the fixed income field these days.

Any experience utilizing a 457 in addition to a 403?

University position I'm starting July 1st offers both.

Will max out the 403, debating whether to max the 457($17,500) or throw money at loans.

Any experience utilizing a 457 in addition to a 403?

University position I'm starting July 1st offers both.

Will max out the 403, debating whether to max the 457($17,500) or throw money at loans.

What is the interest rate of your loans? What is your anticipated federal and state tax rate? Is there a reasonable selection of low cost funds available as investment options?

457s are not quite as good as 403b as you seem to be aware of.

GDX is a fund of gold mining companies though, not gold. Are you counting it toward your equity or your gold position?

Seems the classic argument against holding gold - it pays no dividends, has no expected growth - might also apply toward a lot of the fixed income field these days.

GDX is even cheaper than the metal itself. Ill be buying GDX (adding to my position) in the next 7-10 days. Ill also be adding the metal itself below $1250. Ditto for silver at $18 and Platinum at $1250. I'm keeping the metal to 7-8 percent of my portfolio and the miners to no more than 2 percent. I'm including several other mineral miners like FCX, BHP, Rio in that 2 percent. I want FXC below 23. These stocks have been crushed. FCX is near a 5 year low and a double bottom (look at the chart)

I like equities at another 5-6 percent drop from here. I've got a long shopping list which I can finally use. I went to a large cash position 3 months ago in my retirement account and non retirement brokerage accounts. I've been looking to get back in.

If you want to buy like Buffett then take a look at what is on sale and what is going on sale soon.

Doze has really gotten me into ETFs (tax efficiency and low cost) and I prefer ETFs now in my taxable account.

Longer term I like this pullback across the board.

Compare the value of Gold vs cash over the past 20 years and see which currency you prefer to hold as part of your overall portfolio (incl that F U account)

Last edited:
Suitability
Gold possesses unique characteristics that have made it a store of value and effective inflation hedge for thousands of years. The supply of gold is relatively static and it can be stored indefinitely without degrading. These attributes, combined with the metal's historical significance, continue to make gold a safe-haven asset of choice for many investors today. Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF provides indirect exposure to gold prices by investing in the stocks of companies that mine gold. These companies' revenues are closely tied to gold prices, which gives the fund a high degree of correlation with the underlying metal. The fund is an appropriate satellite holding for investors who want to better diversify their portfolios and hedge against inflation. Gold prices tend to rise during times of economic crisis or uncertainty, offering significant diversification benefits. Over the past five years, GDX had only a 0.28 correlation with the S&P 500.

GDX is even cheaper than the metal itself. Ill be buying GDX (adding to my position) in the next 7-10 days. Ill also be adding the metal itself below $1250. Ditto for silver at $18 and Platinum at $1250. I'm keeping the metal to 7-8 percent of my portfolio and the miners to no more than 2 percent. I'm including several other mineral miners like FCX, BHP, Rio in that 2 percent. I want FXC below 25. These stocks have been crushed.

I like equities at another 5-6 percent drop from here. I've got a long shopping list which I can finally use. I went to a large cash position 3 months ago in my retirement account and non retirement brokerage accounts. I've been looking to get back in.

If you want to buy like Buffett then take a look at what is on sale and what is going on sale soon.

Doze has really gotten me into ETFs (tax efficiency and low cost) and I prefer ETFs now in my taxable account.

Longer term I like this pullback across the board.

Compare the value of Gold vs cash over the past 20 years and see which currency you prefer to hold as part of your overall portfolio (incl that F U account)

I don't use gold, but if I did, I would reverse the ratios of precious metals equity and physical.

Take a look at gold over the last 30 years instead of the last 20. Instead of cash use high quality short term fixed income. Not saying that your your plan isn't reasonable-it is. Just not my cup of tea.

I don't use gold, but if I did, I would reverse the ratios of precious metals equity and physical.

Take a look at gold over the last 30 years instead of the last 20. Instead of cash use high quality short term fixed income. Not saying that your your plan isn't reasonable-it is. Just not my cup of tea.

I know how you feel about gold. Despite trying to make gold an investment gold is a currency. It has been a currency for thousands of years. Honestly, if I could get paid in gold at $1200 an ounce vs $1200 in US dollars i would take the gold for at least 1/4 of my income.

Sure, right now the dollar looks better vs gold. But, will this short term effect last more than 6 months? A year? Only time will tell.

Doze, as a value investor now is the time to look at GDX and other commodities. Buy these when there is blood on the streets and guys like Paulson are bleeding severely right now.

Paulson & Co.
Paulson & Co. said it has no intention of closing down its Gold Fund even after this year's losses, according to a letter to investors obtained by Bloomberg News. The company recommended investors stay invested as valuations provide "significant upside." Paulson is the biggest investor in the SPDR Gold Trust (GLD), the largest bullion ETP.

Paulson is being forced to liquidate his positions and this is driving gold prices down. Some experts expect even more pressure on the price of gold as Paulson sells even more GLD tomorrow.

I have not been buying stocks or ETFs in the past 6 months because valuation was at fair value. Now, with a 10-15 percent correction likely over the next 5 trading days i will deploy significant cash into new positions and eTFS

buying SPY puts can be a 'cheap' way to hedge your gains against a general market selloff... bought some a week back in anticipation of this fed meeting. they literally quadrupled in value in 2 days!