You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Board Certification in Psychiatry
Started by Anasazi23
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
is anyone else reading Spiegel's vignette section and seeing things like this?...
Question: (Choose 2 of 3)
4 answer choices
Question: (Choose 2 of 3)
4 answer choices
is anyone else reading Spiegel's vignette section and seeing things like this?...
Question: (Choose 2 of 3)
4 answer choices
yes...there so many proof-reading problems in the Spiegel online program...i haven't found many content errors though (just one and it was minor).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yes...there so many proof-reading problems in the Spiegel online program...i haven't found many content errors though (just one and it was minor).
I've been doing everything exclusively out of the book. Makes it harder to do the last chapter after I spilled coffee on the answer key.
is it just me or are there about 10,000 questions about subtle differences between TCAs on Kenny & Spiegel?...these nuances seem a little over tested for a class of medication that is prescribed relatively infrequently.
Funny, my last two scores were exactly 70% as well (tests 3 and 4). Kenny and Spiegel is tough! I hope that's good enough to pass next week. Good luck, Pijiriguo (and all you lurkers🙂
Hey all.
I have a weird question.... I know it is a few days before exam, but...
what is the structure of the exam? I can't find any description online.
How many questions are there. My confirmation page states that the exam is 570 min, its about 9.5 hrs. So what should I expect.
Thank you.
I have a weird question.... I know it is a few days before exam, but...
what is the structure of the exam? I can't find any description online.
How many questions are there. My confirmation page states that the exam is 570 min, its about 9.5 hrs. So what should I expect.
Thank you.
Here's my time plan for tomorrow: block 1, block 2, 10 minute break, block 3, block 4, 20 minute break, block 5, block 6, 10 minute break, block 7, block 8, finished! I anticipate taking a maximum of 60 minutes/block although I would be surprised if I needed that much time. Would love to hear others plans for tomorrow...good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
God, I forgot that some people are taking it tomorrow...
yeah...in my paranoid decision making i figured if there was some totally apocalyptic event tomorrow then i might have an easier chance of rescheduling my exam for the following day...although if it was truly an apocalyptic event, then likely friday would be affected too. oh well. back to cramming erickson/mahler/piaget stages and CYP inhibitors/inducers (a successful ritual for me before literally every medical board exam as i can NEVER remember them for longer than 24 hours).
as a testament to my poor instruction reading - it only dawned on me TODAY that we have to time our own blocks. i thought it was like USMLE where you get 60min for a block before it closes you out and you are forced to move on.
Hey American, good luck tomorrow. I don't think you have to time yourself. I believe blocks are timed according to amount of questions and at some point the block ends and kick you out. You need to time the breaks so you don't take more than the time allowed. But I have never taken this test before. Anyways, I wish you the best tomorrow.
Unfortunately it does seem we are given the whole days time up front and we are responsible to keep our own time...
Unfortunately it does seem we are given the whole days time up front and we are responsible to keep our own time...
It's not a big deal. I took a lot of breaks when I took it.... can plan for 5-10 mins after each block to stretch your legs. Don't get caught up in rushing.... use the break time.
thanks @Shikima - i think you're right...
Good luck everybody!!!
Remember, it's just a stupid exam. Just read the questions slowly. Afterwards, you can still work and earn money.
I feel terrible. I have always been a very good test taker but now I feel that I know nothing and studied something completely unrelated.
I used Beat the Boards and I feel it was very superficial. Was not doing great on BoardVitals but it was improving. Didn't have much time for Spiegel that I should've. I feel that Spiegel is the closest to the actual exam.
Feel completely exhausted.
Now Qs:
1. Does ABPN notify your program if you pass or fail, even if you take it a few years since graduation?
2. What would be realistic consequences of not passing?
I used Beat the Boards and I feel it was very superficial. Was not doing great on BoardVitals but it was improving. Didn't have much time for Spiegel that I should've. I feel that Spiegel is the closest to the actual exam.
Feel completely exhausted.
Now Qs:
1. Does ABPN notify your program if you pass or fail, even if you take it a few years since graduation?
2. What would be realistic consequences of not passing?
ABPN does notify you.
Consequence? You keep working and take it again the following year.
Keep doing Speigel. More the merrier. And then redo the questions again.
Consequence? You keep working and take it again the following year.
Keep doing Speigel. More the merrier. And then redo the questions again.
I feel terrible. I have always been a very good test taker but now I feel that I know nothing and studied something completely unrelated.
I used Beat the Boards and I feel it was very superficial. Was not doing great on BoardVitals but it was improving. Didn't have much time for Spiegel that I should've. I feel that Spiegel is the closest to the actual exam.
Feel completely exhausted.
Now Qs:
1. Does ABPN notify your program if you pass or fail, even if you take it a few years since graduation?
2. What would be realistic consequences of not passing?
I did Beat the Boards also and it was okay but Spiegel was the closest to real test. At least 60 % of stand alone were from subjects I remember reading in the Qbank.
ABPN does furnish a report to your program as well.1. Does ABPN notify your program if you pass or fail, even if you take it a few years since graduation?
2. What would be realistic consequences of not passing?
Programs are accountable for graduate performance.
Uh, does it really take twelve weeks to get our results?
TWELVE WEEKS???????
TWELVE WEEKS???????
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It did for us. Exam on 9/14 and scores on 12/10. No fun.Uh, does it really take twelve weeks to get our results?
TWELVE WEEKS???????
I did Beat the Boards also and it was okay but Spiegel was the closest to real test. At least 60 % of stand alone were from subjects I remember reading in the Qbank.
I thought Spiegel was spot on last year. I have a friend who just took it who primarily used BTB and felt like the questions were unexpectedly hard.
ABPN does furnish a report to your program as well.
Programs are accountable for graduate performance.
I failed that so hard. So not only will I not get my job renewed but my residency will also find out. Oh boy. 🙁
I failed that so hard. So not only will I not get my job renewed but my residency will also find out. Oh boy. 🙁
To start you probably didn't fail, but are you sure you would lose your job? Even if your contract says that, I'd be surprised if it actually happens.
I sure hope not. I took way too much time on the vignette videos (watching them repeatedly) such that I had to go fast through the stand alone questions to finish on time. I've never once has trouble on prite because of time...this was so weird...Thanks for the vote of confidence Dr B...
I didn't have a good strategy for the vignettes bc spiegel ones seemed so straight forward and didn't have vids...
I didn't have a good strategy for the vignettes bc spiegel ones seemed so straight forward and didn't have vids...
Yeah, the vignettes were evil last year. There's no good study source for them either. Hope you're at least able to feel somewhat good about being done and not having to study.
Thanks man - I'm trying to relax...appreciate the kind words...it's cool having psychiatrists to bounce these feelings off ofYeah, the vignettes were evil last year. There's no good study source for them either. Hope you're at least able to feel somewhat good about being done and not having to study.
This wasn't accurate. Each block was exactly 60 questions. And there were a total of 6 breaks, so you had to do at least 2 blocks back-to-back.
I thought some of the multiple answers had more than 2 correct answers, but you could only pick 2. Arg! It was definitely not as straight forward as practiced. Good luck to everyone who took it.
I agree that was a tough exam! Some of the multiple choice, non-vignette, style were straight forward but the rest was nonsense. I hope I passed. My entire class feels like we failed.
yeah, pretty sure you got one between every section and could use the 50 min however you wanted.
I was tempted to just use extra break time beyond the 50 min and let it eat into my test time. I think I'm still conditioned from running out of time on step 3 to answering questions faster than I need to. I had a lot of time on the end.
Also, I'd prefer not to violate the nondisclosure agreement, but did anyone else think a certain subset of disorders was way over-tested on the vignettes compared to how often they occur in real life... or has everyone lost all their memory of such events?
I was tempted to just use extra break time beyond the 50 min and let it eat into my test time. I think I'm still conditioned from running out of time on step 3 to answering questions faster than I need to. I had a lot of time on the end.
Also, I'd prefer not to violate the nondisclosure agreement, but did anyone else think a certain subset of disorders was way over-tested on the vignettes compared to how often they occur in real life... or has everyone lost all their memory of such events?
I thought some of the multiple answers had more than 2 correct answers, but you could only pick 2. Arg! It was definitely not as straight forward as practiced. Good luck to everyone who took it.
Yeah, there was that, and there also were "pick two" question where you'd think "well, there's one clear answer here that I'd do 100% of the time in clinical practice, but there's also apparently another one... should I inappropriately prescribe a benzo or inappropriately prescribe an expensive antipsychotic as my second choice?"
Also, I'd prefer not to violate the nondisclosure agreement, but did anyone else think a certain subset of disorders was way over-tested on the vignettes compared to how often they occur in real life... or has everyone lost all their memory of such events?
Yep. During the test I was like, "surely they aren't going through another entire vignette on this again".
I actually thought that the videos were alright in quality.
I feel like the psychopharm questions were more straightforward.
I felt like there were less questions related to development than I was expecting.
Of the study materials I used I felt like Kenny and Spiegel was the best. I think my cumulative score through was about 70%. We shall see.
Twelve weeks is going to be a long time to wait.
Best of luck to the rest of you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah, pretty sure you got one between every section and could use the 50 min however you wanted.
I was tempted to just use extra break time beyond the 50 min and let it eat into my test time. I think I'm still conditioned from running out of time on step 3 to answering questions faster than I need to. I had a lot of time on the end.
Also, I'd prefer not to violate the nondisclosure agreement, but did anyone else think a certain subset of disorders was way over-tested on the vignettes compared to how often they occur in real life... or has everyone lost all their memory of such events?
Lol..
Last edited:
100% agree. It was rather ridiculous.Also, I'd prefer not to violate the nondisclosure agreement, but did anyone else think a certain subset of disorders was way over-tested on the vignettes compared to how often they occur in real life... or has everyone lost all their memory of such events?
I agree that was a tough exam! Some of the multiple choice, non-vignette, style were straight forward but the rest was nonsense. I hope I passed. My entire class feels like we failed.
Multiple choice, non vignette? OMG I did not see those.
You didn't see half the test being non-vignette multiple choice?Multiple choice, non vignette? OMG I did not see those.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 499
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 696