board question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Korzh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys. i know this question will probably sound ridiculous but anyways.... is there any approximate % of overall correct answers to pass the board? many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't think anyone really knows the answer to that question (except those administering the exam). That being said, many use 60% as an estimate.

Don't think anyone really knows the answer to that question (except those administering the exam). That being said, many use 60% as an estimate.

Agreed, there's no way to know. Even though the administration, format and questions are different, you can use your RISE scores as a gauge of how you compare to your peers. Given that roughly 90% of first-time test takers will pass the boards you can see if you're on track or need to catch up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Believe It or not, this is a quote from an email conversation I had with “someone” from the ABPath:
“Each score is a scaled score; therefore, one point does not correspond to one question correct or incorrect. Your scaled score, in addition reflecting the number of questions you got right or wrong, also depends on the difficulty of the questions that were answered right or wrong. This means that only computerized scoring can calculate correct scaled scores. ”

I yes, I agree, that does seem relatively contradictory to what is posted on the ABPath website.

I think this is a relatively good characterization of the algorithm:
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, got a dumb question about the ASCP review lectures for board prep. I keep seeing people talking about them, but where the hell do you buy them? Are the lectures a part of the annual meetings?

Hey all, got a dumb question about the ASCP review lectures for board prep. I keep seeing people talking about them, but where the hell do you buy them? Are the lectures a part of the annual meetings?

You attend the ASCP board review course (nothing to do with the annual meeting) and they distribute them on site to accompany the lectures.

Didn’t they stop doing the ASCP review course a few years ago?
The ones I used this year were from 2011 and I still think they were better than the 2014 & 2015 Osler lectures I also used. I think you’re correct though.