BOLC B and AT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ron Swanson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been trying to register for BOLC B but it keeps getting rejected because the classes fill up. I am trying in 2022 but am worried about how it impacts my coworkers at my civilian job ( I work for the state and I know about how its "illegal" to retaliate against me for military stuff, but we are always short staffed). I feel like taking BOLC and AT in the same year is a bit much for them. For DCC, I didn't have to do AT the same year. Is that the same for BOLC B? Is there somewhere that is in writing?

Also, if you can miss AT when you do BOLC, does that count for the FY (fiscal year?) or the calendar year. IE August -Sept would be for the same FY and calendar year, but Sept-Oct would split FY but be in same calendar year.

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

IME most units will let you slide on AT if you spent time at a school that year.

After all, until you finish BOLC, you are pretty much dead weight anyway, so most units want to get you spun up as quickly as possible and will try to be accomodating.

YMMV

Hi All,

I have been trying to register for BOLC B but it keeps getting rejected because the classes fill up. I am trying in 2022 but am worried about how it impacts my coworkers at my civilian job ( I work for the state and I know about how its "illegal" to retaliate against me for military stuff, but we are always short staffed). I feel like taking BOLC and AT in the same year is a bit much for them. For DCC, I didn't have to do AT the same year. Is that the same for BOLC B? Is there somewhere that is in writing?

Also, if you can miss AT when you do BOLC, does that count for the FY (fiscal year?) or the calendar year. IE August -Sept would be for the same FY and calendar year, but Sept-Oct would split FY but be in same calendar year.

Thanks all

Your commander should release you from AT if you complete a school (BOLC phase II, CCC phase II, DCC, etc.) in the same fiscal year. This is pretty standard. Now if there is something mission critical they might ask you to attend AT as well, but this is not the norm.

Also you need to focus on your career especially with how promotions are going. Until you completely finish BOLC phase I and phase II you are technically not fully AOC qualified meaning you need special signing off to go on mission if your unit is called up. So it's in your best interest and the best interest of your unit and the Army as a whole to get your BOLC phase II completed ASAP.

Succinctly, it's not a policy but common professional courtesy.
Commander's have authority to waive annual training.

Most commanders of AMEDD units understand that medical professionals can't miss extended periods multiples times a year and will waive AT in lieu of school.

ATs are based on FY. You can try and split, but I doubt you get credit for AT for two FYs.

Also, if you're in a tough spot, commanders can waive AT for any reason.
Just be reasonable and most commanders will accomodate.