Boston Children's Hospital Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiancaB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Application season is upon us!

I am a current Fellow at BCH and here are the things I love about the program:

- Richly Academic: Opportunities abound at BCH. If you're a researcher, there are mentors and funds available. There are weekly psychopharm and psychotherapy didactics + journal club which explore the history/traditions of our fields and expose us to the most important scientific findings of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. During the first year, we attend the famous McLean didactics and have the opportunity to learn, in an intimate setting, from the giants in our field (ie Dr. Karlan Lyons Ruth and Dr. Bessel van der Kolk)!!!

- Practical: Most of the core requirements are completed in the first year. We have our own outpatient, inpatient psych, and medical floors. The only travel involved is to our community clinic (10 minute drive, 20 minute bike, 30 minute walk.) Since most of the requirements are done during CAP1, there is plenty of time in the second year for an abundance of electives. AND you get to make your own schedule! So, this is really good for folx who are driven and innovative.

- Work-Life Balance: Ya'll, I have heard from graduates that our call used to be rough. That is no longer true. They have hired SW's to cover the ED, so we only cover our inpatient unit. We can take call from home, just have to be able to be in within the hour of being paged. With 12 Fellows in the program, there is plenty of coverage. Honestly, it's pretty cush. Sorry, long rant on that. Anywho, I am not worked to the bone. We all have plenty of time to travel, explore Boston, spend time with SO/kids, pursue passion projects.

I could go on, but won't...

If you have questions hit me up!

Members don't see this ad.

It's pretty shocking to hear that the best children's hospital in the country, maybe the world, has a nice fellowship :rofl: .

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are trying to correct some misinformation but make sure you look at the studies on humble bragging, I was shocked to see how much the average american picks up on it.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
It's pretty shocking to hear that the best children's hospital in the country, maybe the world, has a nice fellowship :rofl: .

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are trying to correct some misinformation but make sure you look at the studies on humble bragging, I was shocked to see how much the average american picks up on it.

lol yeah did boston children's not fill last year or something? Pretty sure they probably get more than enough applicants...although maybe not if the call used to be crappy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see anything wrong with this post honestly.

Reactions: 5 users

- Richly Academic: Opportunities abound at BCH. If you're a researcher, there are mentors and funds available. There are weekly psychopharm and psychotherapy didactics + journal club which explore the history/traditions of our fields and expose us to the most important scientific findings of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. During the first year, we attend the famous McLean didactics and have the opportunity to learn, in an intimate setting, from the giants in our field (ie Dr. Karlan Lyons Ruth and Dr. Bessel van der Kolk)!!!

- Practical: Most of the core requirements are completed in the first year. We have our own outpatient, inpatient psych, and medical floors. The only travel involved is to our community clinic (10 minute drive, 20 minute bike, 30 minute walk.) Since most of the requirements are done during CAP1, there is plenty of time in the second year for an abundance of electives. AND you get to make your own schedule! So, this is really good for folx who are driven and innovative.

- Work-Life Balance: Ya'll, I have heard from graduates that our call used to be rough. That is no longer true. They have hired SW's to cover the ED, so we only cover our inpatient unit. We can take call from home, just have to be able to be in within the hour of being paged. With 12 Fellows in the program, there is plenty of coverage. Honestly, it's pretty cush. Sorry, long rant on that. Anywho, I am not worked to the bone. We all have plenty of time to travel, explore Boston, spend time with SO/kids, pursue passion projects.

Would you be able to comment more specifically on the call schedule?

Reactions: 1 user

My bet is that this is more due to the COVID effect on applications this cycle than it is due to someone wanting to boost their own ego. PDs are aware that applicants are looking online more than ever for information, and fellows may want to make sure they are getting the best possible people to work with by dispelling misinformation

Reactions: 1 users
My bet is that this is more due to the COVID effect on applications this cycle than it is due to someone wanting to boost their own ego. PDs are aware that applicants are looking online more than ever for information, and fellows may want to make sure they are getting the best possible people to work with by dispelling misinformation

I really don't mean to be a jerk about it, clearly lots of people disagree with my thoughts. I have a profoundly difficult time believing that the most competitive applicants in all of CAP are going to think "wow, I was definitely not going to apply to BCH but after reading this post, I'll reconsider". I can't for the life of me imagine a single person on earth who that will apply to. Now if this was so mid-tier program that's actually great, completely different story.

I really don't mean to be a jerk about it, clearly lots of people disagree with my thoughts. I have a profoundly difficult time believing that the most competitive applicants in all of CAP are going to think "wow, I was definitely not going to apply to BCH but after reading this post, I'll reconsider". I can't for the life of me imagine a single person on earth who that will apply to. Now if this was so mid-tier program that's actually great, completely different story.
If you've got an amazing resume and you've got the choice between a prestigious fellowship that is known to be brutal and a slightly less prestigious fellowship that is known to be chill, unless you're a masochist or have that much of a love of shiny credentials, you're gonna pick the slightly less prestigious place. Since people can't really meet with residents in the same manner as the past, I think places are doubling down on their online reputations, and doing their best to clean up things that might drop them down a rank list or put people off of applying at all. Just my take though, you could very well be right.

If you've got an amazing resume and you've got the choice between a prestigious fellowship that is known to be brutal and a slightly less prestigious fellowship that is known to be chill, unless you're a masochist or have that much of a love of shiny credentials, you're gonna pick the slightly less prestigious place. Since people can't really meet with residents in the same manner as the past, I think places are doubling down on their online reputations, and doing their best to clean up things that might drop them down a rank list or put people off of applying at all. Just my take though, you could very well be right.

100% of the people i know that went Ivy/equivilents for undergrad/grad/med/law and top 5 locations for residency/fellowship both are somewhat masochistic and like shiny credentials (which I think is great, some of those folks are my best friends). My N is around 15 so maybe I have a very skewed view on things and secretly there are these super chill folk who just sorta fall into the best programs on Earth without tons of prior prep/intention.

Either way, I do think its good for programs to work on their online reputations and hopefully more folks will contribute from places that are not consensus top 3 programs.

Reactions: 1 user
i'm curious to know how boston children's compares to the other harvard programs (CHA and MGH/Mclean) in terms of workload, emphasis on education, training on psychotherapy, culture, etc. any comments will be helpful. thank you!

correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding was that BCH is considered a serious step down from MGH and CHA when it comes to child psych? That’s the impression my coresidents who went into CAP had.

Yes I attended your open house ! Sounded amazing. Hoping to get an interview