Boston University MAMS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The only students I know accepted to MD schools with a sub-3.0 gpa had like a 4.0 SMP and 36+ mcat

I'm at sub-3. With a 33, GDO told me not to retake. So on that basis, shes telling me i'll be fine with those stats as they are. Just saying.

Members don't see this ad.

Fine for the program I'm sure. But to be admitted to medical school? Maybe.

A subpar gpa (lets say 2.9) and 33 is a LizzyM score of 62. A score around 70 is average for accepted applicants. So you would need significant SMP improvement and this is a very difficult program. I think someone said 4 people of the 180 in his 2011 class got a 4.0.

All I'm saying is to compensate for a lower gpa you need a higher than average mcat and good grad gpa.

Plus if you have a below 3.0 gpa you could still take undergrad classes to bring it up and that would be very beneficial.

A subpar gpa (lets say 2.9) and 33 is a LizzyM score of 62. A score around 70 is average for accepted applicants. So you would need significant SMP improvement and this is a very difficult program. I think someone said 4 people of the 180 in his 2011 class got a 4.0.

All I'm saying is to compensate for a lower gpa you need a higher than average mcat and good grad gpa.

Plus if you have a below 3.0 gpa you could still take undergrad classes to bring it up and that would be very beneficial.
It seems to me that JSReed is already in the program and is referring to application advice from GDO for subsequent AMCAS apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone accepted their offer from BU for this fall yet?
And if so, were you accepted to other programs?
How did you choose?
I'm so torn :(

I was accepted to BU MAMS for this fall as well as U Cincinnati SMP and EVMS. I already declined EVMS, but I'm so torn between Cinci and BU right now so I feel your pain! I think I'm leaning towards Boston though.

I was accepted to BU MAMS for this fall as well as U Cincinnati SMP and EVMS. I already declined EVMS, but I'm so torn between Cinci and BU right now so I feel your pain! I think I'm leaning towards Boston though.

I got accepted in BU MAMS and will most likely get into EVMS (based on what their admissions staff told me- I will hear back next Tuesday from them). I am leaning to towards BU as well.Although its an intense program and its very hard to get a 4.0, its still possible to get that or a 3.7+.

I got into BU mams and RF bms...withdrew from BU, waiting to hear back from cincinnati.

Last edited:
d7man32- What's your reasoning for (hypothetically) Cinci over BU? Just curious since they're my current choices.

1) I don't want to have to wait more than a year to start medical school
2) "Linkages" are better at RF and CINCI, which I interpret as less risky.

Last edited:
hello!

any accepted students for next fall starting to think about housing? I've been trolling the old MAMS forums and it looks like general consensus is that it's worth paying more to live closer to campus, at least for the first year. Any current MAMS students have any additional thoughts about housing?

I'll be moving from Chicago and am having a minor heart attack at the rent prices I've been finding...so would love to find a roommate (preferably female) to split a 2 bedroom relatively close to campus. Message me if you're interested!

Higher than average, yes. But I'm fairly confident you can do it with less than a 4.0 given that all your other ducks are in a row. I don't know how much you can argue lizzym scores, simply because those data are based on the general public rather than MAMS or SMP students.

I know it was 5 people in 2012 who got a 4.0

Hi everyone!

I was accepted into the new 2013 class starting in August. I'm still waiting to hear back from some medical school waitlists (but let's be honest...BU is looking more and more probable), but am starting to look into living arrangements for next year! I'm from CA and know nothing about Boston, so it's making it a bit of a stab in the dark. I'd love to live with someone else in the program! Anyone starting to think about housing?

Hi everyone!

I was accepted into the new 2013 class starting in August. I'm still waiting to hear back from some medical school waitlists (but let's be honest...BU is looking more and more probable), but am starting to look into living arrangements for next year! I'm from CA and know nothing about Boston, so it's making it a bit of a stab in the dark. I'd love to live with someone else in the program! Anyone starting to think about housing?

Hey! I was also accepted and I'm in the same boat as you (waiting to hear from a couple of waitlists). I'm going to finally bite the bullet and accept BU today and hope I don't get into the Georgetown program before Wednesday (my BU deadline). I haven't started thinking about housing, but I might as well. I heard it's way too expensive to try and live by yourself so why not someone in the program! I'm from south Florida and coming from UG in North Carolina and I too have no clue about living in Boston lol PM me if you're interested in looking!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I was also accepted and I'm in the same boat as you (waiting to hear from a couple of waitlists). I'm going to finally bite the bullet and accept BU today and hope I don't get into the Georgetown program before Wednesday (my BU deadline). I haven't started thinking about housing, but I might as well. I heard it's way too expensive to try and live by yourself so why not someone in the program! I'm from south Florida and coming from UG in North Carolina and I too have no clue about living in Boston lol PM me if you're interested in looking!

The Office of Housing Resources is a great option to start looking for apartments (there are staff who are happy to assist you with off-campus listings, roommate connections, area realtor advice and help with landlord stuff). The biggest apartment facilities near the medical campus are Harrison Court and James Court (available space in these two are historically limited, and there may be a wait-list). The BU Off-Campus Housing Page also has great information outlining Boston's neighborhoods as well as important tips to consider when signing a lease.

If you need to help putting apartment rent prices in perspective, you might find the following link very helpful. Keep in mind that rent varies greatly from location to location within Boston and the closer you look to BUMC, the pricier apartments get. However, the BU Shuttle and public transportation make living off campus quite feasible. You can also check with local real estate agents for help locating apartments in your price range.

Hope this helps!
Al

Reactions: 1 user
I found out about SMPs really late, applied end of May, and got in early June. At that point BU wasn't my top choice but after visiting I changed my mind, and glad I did so.

I assume this was last year. So you ended up in BU?

I applied late May if that helps.

Mind if I ask you what where your stats coming in to the SMP?
Also, would you recommend the BU SMP over cheaper ones like Drexel? The 60k tuition and no linkage or guarantee interview is kind of scary.

My view is that if you really are fit for medical school, you should be able to do well in this program. With that said than if you have a decent Mcat 31-35 than you should be able to shoot for BU and your state schools. Reading through many bu mams threads, I found that successful mams students all got multiple interviews and were eventually accepted. So I guess the risk is only apparent if you don't believe you can succeed at a higher level of coursework.

The only students I know accepted to MD schools with a sub-3.0 gpa had like a 4.0 SMP and 36+ mcat

I had a <2.8 GPA <32 MCAT and a <4.0 GPA in the MAMS program and I was accepted into 5 MD programs (no state schools) including my top choice. It's an emotional roller coaster, but doable.

Mind if I ask you what where your stats coming in to the SMP?
Also, would you recommend the BU SMP over cheaper ones like Drexel? The 60k tuition and no linkage or guarantee interview is kind of scary.

I had a 3.4 sgpa 3.3 cgpa. 34 mcat. But I was a little above average for the program. I knew a lot of people who had a 3.1, 3.2 and did excellent.

Hello,
Is it possible to do shadowing/clinical volunteering while doing the program? Will it be too difficult to balance for the average applicant?

Just declined my acceptance for this fall - I hope it goes to one of you guys! Good luck! :)

Hello,
Is it possible to do shadowing/clinical volunteering while doing the program? Will it be too difficult to balance for the average applicant?

During the first semester of MAMS, you probably will not have time to do much else other than focusing on the coursework. You may have some free time second semester, but the name of the game will always be academics. Medical school is a big challenge, and the program is structured to involve similar coursework (to prove to schools that you can handle their curriculum). It will demand your time and energy, as medical school typically does. That being said, many of my peers were able to take on some great extra-curricular activities in their second year (there is never a shortage of opportunities, and you can easily find something you're passionate about). They ranged from amazing research spots and physician shadowing privileges in the city's best hospitals to some really meaningful volunteer opportunities with the underprivileged populations surrounding BMC.

I wanted to remind everyone that the MAMS 2013 Facebook group is up but there are only 11 members so far. It would be nice for more to join so we can discuss housing options.

I wanted to remind everyone that the MAMS 2013 Facebook group is up but there are only 11 members so far. It would be nice for more to join so we can discuss housing options.

Could you post a link to the group? I couldn't find it when I searched for it.

Hi Everyone-

Another current MAMS student here, feel free to ask any questions. I differ from the the other students that have posted on here in that I'm completing the program in one year, and applied to MD programs while completing my masters.

If anyone has any questions, especially concerning the one year option, go ahead and ask them!

And I will say that if you're looking for a great SMP - this is it. It may not have the "guarantee" of getting into BU Med after graduating, but the students who do well in this program end up getting into MD programs. I was told by my advisor that the acceptance rate for students who finish with a 3.8+ (and have a good MCAT, obviously) is virtually 100% (not to BU specifically, just medical school in general).

Edited...Received confirmation I was accepted!

I wanted to know how many students complete the program in 1 year? Are you encouraged to complete the program in 1 or 2 years? I would like to complete it in 1 year.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone-

Another current MAMS student here, feel free to ask any questions. I differ from the the other students that have posted on here in that I'm completing the program in one year, and applied to MD programs while completing my masters.

If anyone has any questions, especially concerning the one year option, go ahead and ask them!

And I will say that if you're looking for a great SMP - this is it. It may not have the "guarantee" of getting into BU Med after graduating, but the students who do well in this program end up getting into MD programs. I was told by my advisor that the acceptance rate for students who finish with a 3.8+ (and have a good MCAT, obviously) is virtually 100% (not to BU specifically, just medical school in general).

Hey taco truck! thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I just received my acceptance into the program, but I want to make sure I am making the best decision possible.

I definitely want to complete the program in 1 year, and ideally start medical school the following year, like you. I will be submitting my application this June before the program would start. Although my GPA and MCAT could be better, I still think I have a shot at getting in this cycle. I'm just curious how good your stats were when you applied to med school? Did you go into the master's program not thinking you would get into med school?

How difficult was it to fill out secondaries and fly out to interviews while maintaing the coursework at BU? Did you find the school supportive of your decision to apply before completing the first year of the program?

Also, how much work is it to complete the program in 1 year compared to doing it in 2 years?

Thank you again! I look forward to your responses!

Hey there guys, I wanted to ask you guys if you think it is worth it for me, an international student, to do the MAMS program at BU in order to better my chances of getting into medical school?
I am expected to graduate from one of the best universities in Canada with a 3.3 cGPA and would like to know whether doing a SMP program at BU would help my chances of getting into a medical school or not. As an international student, it is almost impossible to get into medical schools in the USA so I am not sure if this would help either.

Thanks
Muhammad Fazal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Truck
Hi Everyone-

Hey taco truck! thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I just received my acceptance into the program, but I want to make sure I am making the best decision possible.

I definitely want to complete the program in 1 year, and ideally start medical school the following year, like you. I will be submitting my application this June before the program would start. Although my GPA and MCAT could be better, I still think I have a shot at getting in this cycle. I'm just curious how good your stats were when you applied to med school? Did you go into the master's program not thinking you would get into med school?

How difficult was it to fill out secondaries and fly out to interviews while maintaing the coursework at BU? Did you find the school supportive of your decision to apply before completing the first year of the program?

Also, how much work is it to complete the program in 1 year compared to doing it in 2 years?

Thank you again! I look forward to your responses!

I second all of these questions as they are on my mind as well!
Thanks Taco Truck and swimmergirl2010

Quote:

Hey! Taco Truck sent me a PM and this is what he said: (I hope it's okay for me to post this here)

"First of all, congrats on your acceptance to the program, you're really going to enjoy it. I had somewhat of a weird case, I actually didn't find out about the MAMS program until late summer, and at that point had already applied to medical schools. My GPA was 3.38 Sci 3.54 Overall, with a 35 MCAT. So I potentially think I could have gotten into medical school without doing the program (I actually received my II to Dartmouth prior to even telling them I was going to be going to the program). But with my lower GPA (from a tiny state college) I figured it couldn't hurt to do the program, and BU was also my first choice, and I knew this program would help with my chances a little bit there.

Now in retrospect, I wish I had known about the program prior to applying to medical school. I probably would have waited until this application cycle to apply, that way I would have my MAMS degree, and be able to provide schools with grades from an entire year here. If you are applying during the year you are in the program, you have to wait until grades come in (late december) and then send out update letters. Obviously this is pretty late in the cycle, and much harder to get an interview at that point. Both of my interviews (with the exception of BU) came prior to the update letters.

As far as filling out secondaries during the program, that shouldn't be an issue, as all of your secondaries should be complete well before September when you start classes. Make sure you submit AMCAS on the morning of June 5th and your secondaries right when you get them! My two interviews outside of BU were within driving distance, but I still had to miss a day of classes for them. Thankfully all of your lectures will be recorded and put on Blackboard, so its not that much of an issue.

The faculty here are super supportive of you no matter what choices you make. But be sure to take their advice, they know what they're talking about. To give you some perspective, in my class of 180, only 17 of us were applying to medical schools this year. The other 163 will be applying this Spring.

The workload is no different in 1 vs. 2 years. Everyone takes the same classes during the their first year. The difference is that those completing the program in 1 year do a literature based thesis over the summer after finishing classes, and those completing in 2 years spend their second year doing research ANYWHERE in the country they want, and completing a lab thesis. The tuition is also the same whether you complete it in 1 or 2 years. If youre interested in research, I would recommend the 2 year option.

As I said before, I really suggest waiting until after your first year to apply, whether you decide to complete the program in one or two years. But no matter what you choose, the faculty will be very supportive
."

Quote:

Regarding the library thesis, Taco Truck told me this in a PM:

"The library thesis had a minimum of 45 pages, but that really isn't too hard once you start putting figures and such in. Topics can be on anything health care related, it doesn't necessarily have to be about biology. A lot of people do ones on health care policy, public health issues, someone even did one a while ago on how George Bush's policies set back stem cell research. There is no requirements other than that you have a novel conclusion. "

Thank you Taco Truck for all of your help! I wanted to post your respones on the public forum to save you the trouble of re-typing anything. I found them very helpful, and hopefully others reading here will too.

I just finished my library thesis and I can say it isn't that bad. Most of the effort comes from staying organized and reading the literature. Mine ended up being about 50 pages in the end, with 13 figures and graphs. It took me about 3.5 weeks to write it, though it required a little effort each day.

How long do they usually give you to decide once you've been accepted?

Hey everyone!

I just sent in my MAMS deposit this week. I'm incredibly excited to start! When I received my acceptance email, it said I would get another email after I filled out my acceptance form. It's been about two weeks now and I still haven't gotten it. Have any of you received it?

And a question for current/past MAMS students: I have 2-3 free months before the program starts. How would you recommend spending it? Is there anything I should be studying ahead of time, or should i look into shadowing/volunteering during that time? Thanks!

You could do some shadowing and volunteering. I actually spent the summer before taking the mcat so that as soon as the program was over I could apply to med school. That way I didn't need to wait for my scores to come back and had more time to prepare for it.

Hey everyone!

I just sent in my MAMS deposit this week. I'm incredibly excited to start! When I received my acceptance email, it said I would get another email after I filled out my acceptance form. It's been about two weeks now and I still haven't gotten it. Have any of you received it?

And a question for current/past MAMS students: I have 2-3 free months before the program starts. How would you recommend spending it? Is there anything I should be studying ahead of time, or should i look into shadowing/volunteering during that time? Thanks!

Yea try to get some clinical stuff in. You won't have very much time for that during the first year. And it will help you remember why you're doing this.

Hey everyone!

I received my welcome email about 5 days later. Try emailing or calling them to make sure they received your deposit? and congratulations!

Hey Im sorry I asked this earlier but no one seemed to have replied. If I apply to a SMP program as an international student, do the medical schools treat me like any other international student or is it helpful for me to a SMP to increase my chances of getting into a med school?

Hey Im sorry I asked this earlier but no one seemed to have replied. If I apply to a SMP program as an international student, do the medical schools treat me like any other international student or is it helpful for me to a SMP to increase my chances of getting into a med school?

call/email the school directly and ask.

Pretty sure you're still international, but call and ask.

Another, more elaborated, question. I have submitted my online application and all of the required components, except for one LOR (I listed 4 recommenders, so I already have the 3 required in). The 4th is from my research mentor who has known me for about 2 years, under various conditions (professor, etc). However, we are in the midst of completing a large project which incorporates my own senior thesis and a publication, so he won't be able to submit it until May. While I know that there's no real deadline for submission, should I just remove the final recommender and have them review it as is now? Or should I wait?

I am anxious to complete it and get a reply as soon as possible (the whole "not knowing where I'll be in 5 months" is driving me crazy, as I'm sure it is for many of you! :) ). Thanks!

Another, more elaborated, question. I have submitted my online application and all of the required components, except for one LOR (I listed 4 recommenders, so I already have the 3 required in). The 4th is from my research mentor who has known me for about 2 years, under various conditions (professor, etc). However, we are in the midst of completing a large project which incorporates my own senior thesis and a publication, so he won't be able to submit it until May. While I know that there's no real deadline for submission, should I just remove the final recommender and have them review it as is now? Or should I wait?

I am anxious to complete it and get a reply as soon as possible (the whole "not knowing where I'll be in 5 months" is driving me crazy, as I'm sure it is for many of you! :) ). Thanks!

I believe that they only want 3, so you don't need to add the extra one.

If you don't think it the letter will make a considerable difference...as in...you believe you couldn't get in without that letter...just send it as is now. Better to get your app in early.

Have any pre-dents/ dental students who completed the MAMS program at BU (without oral track) found the MAMS curriculum to be helpful during Dental School? Thanks!

I second this question. Anyone?