Boston University MAMS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Everyone-

Another current MAMS student here, feel free to ask any questions. I differ from the the other students that have posted on here in that I'm completing the program in one year, and applied to MD programs while completing my masters.

If anyone has any questions, especially concerning the one year option, go ahead and ask them!

And I will say that if you're looking for a great SMP - this is it. It may not have the "guarantee" of getting into BU Med after graduating, but the students who do well in this program end up getting into MD programs. I was told by my advisor that the acceptance rate for students who finish with a 3.8+ (and have a good MCAT, obviously) is virtually 100% (not to BU specifically, just medical school in general).
Hi Taco Truck,

another question about finishing in 1 year. On the website, it says to register for research credits for 2 summer semesters.Does that just mean the entire summer after the first year of classes ends?

Also, do you know if the lab based thesis could be done at any lab or does it have to be at BU? For instance, could I complete it back in my home state doing research with someone at my undergrad?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Taco Truck,

another question about finishing in 1 year. On the website, it says to register for research credits for 2 summer semesters.Does that just mean the entire summer after the first year of classes ends?

Also, do you know if the lab based thesis could be done at any lab or does it have to be at BU? For instance, could I complete it back in my home state doing research with someone at my undergrad?

Thank you!!

Yes that means the entire summer after first year ends.

And yes you can do your lab thesis anywhere you want, as long as one of your readers is from BU it should be fine. Though check with the home institution first, I know some have some weird rules about it. I know some friends who couldn't do it back home because the school wanted BU to insure the students in case of accident and they don't do it.

Also if your planning on doing a lab thesis I highly doubt you can finish it in 2-2.5 months in the summer. It takes at least a month to write it and you need to leave time for your readers to help you revise it and get it formatted/hand in submission documents (at least 2 weeks but should be 3-4 to be courteous to your readers/fix any problems they may have with it). That leaves less than a month for research, and in most labs it takes a few months to get situated and used to everything before you start collecting data. Some of my friends who did lab theses are just starting to get concrete results the past 2-3 months.

Yes that means the entire summer after first year ends.

And yes you can do your lab thesis anywhere you want, as long as one of your readers is from BU it should be fine. Though check with the home institution first, I know some have some weird rules about it. I know some friends who couldn't do it back home because the school wanted BU to insure the students in case of accident and they don't do it.

Also if your planning on doing a lab thesis I highly doubt you can finish it in 2-2.5 months in the summer. It takes at least a month to write it and you need to leave time for your readers to help you revise it and get it formatted/hand in submission documents (at least 2 weeks but should be 3-4 to be courteous to your readers/fix any problems they may have with it). That leaves less than a month for research, and in most labs it takes a few months to get situated and used to everything before you start collecting data. Some of my friends who did lab theses are just starting to get concrete results the past 2-3 months.

Oh cool, thank you for your help!
And yes, I forgot to mention the lab thesis would be if I chose to do the 2 year path

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that they only want 3, so you don't need to add the extra one.

If you don't think it the letter will make a considerable difference...as in...you believe you couldn't get in without that letter...just send it as is now. Better to get your app in early.

Took your advice, removed the 4th and updated Natasha on 3/25.... ACCEPTED just now. Excited to at least have an option for next fall!

Hi,

I submitted my app on 1/31/13, and sent an email on 2/10/13 to ask about my status and was told that my application was already complete. Now nearly two months have passed, I haven't heard anything yet, and I see that people who submitted later than me already got their acceptances. So I am wondering, do SMPs also do this "silent rejection" thing?? Should I be more patient and just wait? Would it be appropriate to send them another email asking if they've reached a decision yet, or would that be a really terrible idea? I am now beginning to fear if my application somehow got lost or they "forgot" to review it...:scared:

I would definitely call and/or email them. Something must have happened, maybe they are waiting for a transcript. They won't be offended if you show your excitement about the program, they'll know you are interested and might even move your file up (if it hasn't been reviewed yet, which I doubt).

Just accepted my offer! So pumped for BU MAMS 2013!!

I'm looking for a roommate. My boyfriend and I are hoping to share a 2 bedroom flat with another couple, or another person, male or female.

Please PM me for more info! I heard housing in the area is super-expensive, so I'm hoping we can get a decent place with 4 people chipping in.

Congratulations MAMS acceptees!
I am just wrapping up my second year now and applying to MD/DO in June. It's a hard program, but a great one!

So you're in, get looking for housing-NOW. Seriously, Boston housing market is horrifying. 33% of the Boston population is in school. That means everyone is moving in late summer, and everyone has student loans to pay for apartments. So it's expensive, and everything forms large wait lists.
When I got into the MAMS program I got lucky and a former MAMS student "gave" me their apartment, so I jumped the wait list and did not have to be in housing limbo till the last minute.

I live in James Court, a professionally managed building across the street from school. We get special door access too by living here. Gym downstairs, 24/7 Concierge, Coffee/tea bar, garage parking, guest parking, laundry on every floor, but most importantly its REALLY QUIET and REALLY CLOSE to school. My apt is a 1 bedroom, top floor (7th) with a view of the city. Heating/cooling is included, you only pay electric (which for me has been under $40 every month). My lease is up for July first, so if any of you guys wants to slip in and by-pass Realtor fees and waiting lists let me know and I can put you down as taking over my apartment. $2400. Which is about going price for a nice 1bedroom that's near school.

I was hoping to pay $1000 or less/month. Is it hard to find roommates? Where should we look for housing (besides here)?

I was hoping to pay $1000 or less/month. Is it hard to find roommates? Where should we look for housing (besides here)?

Hey swimmergirl,
I am a BU alumni and will be joining MAMS after working post college for 2 years.
A few other places to consider would be-Allston, Brighton and Fenway area.
All these places will have apartments close to or a bit above your price range. I would begin looking from http://www.bumc.bu.edu/ohr/ and then also contacting some realtors(Comm Ave Associates, Hodara Realty are 2 good ones)

Although you might find something in your price range in these areas, the flip side is that you will spend more time commuting. So you need to decide would you rather live closer to school and pay more or live a little bit away and get something that is affordable.

i'm curious to learn more about the success rate of this program. their website gives little detail:
How many students from the Medical Sciences Program matriculate into medical school?

Of the graduates who apply to a medical school, approximately 70% are admitted into medical schools in the U.S.; usually 25-30 students are accepted into Boston University School of Medicine each year. Most of the graduates who do not apply to medical school continue their careers in other medical science professions.

class size starts at 180. how many graduate and apply? someone at sdn said that bu mams has sent students to 126 different schools. c'mon - that's hard to believe. this is just hearsay. what's the source?

do we have more official / reliable data / information about the success rate of this program?

i'm curious to learn more about the success rate of this program. their website gives little detail:

class size starts at 180. how many graduate and apply? someone at sdn said that bu mams has sent students to 126 different schools. c'mon - that's hard to believe. this is just hearsay. what's the source?

do we have more official / reliable data / information about the success rate of this program?
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/gms/gateway/...-successes-allopathic-non-us-medical-schools/ this might help ....from the info i've gathered its 70% success into any med school and 90% success into an MD school for those that achieve 3.7 and above in the program...you could always email the program director and demand some data! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys! I just got accepted today after submitting my application roughly 1 month ago! So excited for MAMS!!

However I would like to have some clarification of the program...From what I understand, you can either complete it in 1 or 2 years. IF you decide to finish it in 1 year, you will have to stuff your summer full time, and IF you decide to finish in 2, you study like normal students with summers off? I'm kinda confused about this...so it would be nice if someone can give me a rough sketch of the time line (planning to finish in 2 years) over at BU.

Also, does the school offer dorms? If not any suggestions on where to look for housings? (BTW: I come from Canada..So pardon me if I don't seem to know what is where..)

Thanks a bunch guys! See you in September!!

Last edited:
One Year: Fall and Spring semesters taking classes, 4-6 weeks writing literature based thesis in the summer.

Two Years: Fall and Spring semesters taking classes, complete research based thesis sometime by April of the following spring.

Total program cost is the same because you just pay for two semesters of continuing student fees.

Congrats! It's a tough year, but I think it's worth it!

If anyone is looking for a place to stay this summer/next year, I am subletting my place for the summer (contract starts September 1st). I live in a great 2 bedroom apartment with tall ceilings, a kitchen and 1 bathroom, big living room, new washer and dryer and its 2 blocks from the medical campus. It's in between the silver line and orange line for easy access too. PM me if your interested and ill give you the details.

hey everyone,
I just got into BU mams (applied on March 2 got in on like the 17th). BU was my first choice but I also got into the New York Medical College Regular Track and am waiting to hear from Georgetown SMP. Any existing students or graduates have any input? It seems as if the consensus is that the BU program is the most difficult academically, its not that im not up for the work, but would it make sense to go somewhere that is less academically rigorous to boost my grades?

stats:
GPA: 3.27 O
3.20 S
MCAT: 29Q
Decent Extracurriculars
-thanks

Hi Everyone,

Just got accepted into the BU MAMS program and am looking for some advice. I graduated in 2011 with a 3.32c/3.19s. I did quite poorly in my first two years of pre-reqs (Bio I and II, Chem I and II) but got As in Physics and Orgo, and As and Bs in the few upper level courses I took. Also took the MCAT last summer and scored a 30S.

I am wondering if the MAMS program is the best option for me, or if I should re-take the courses I did poor in and then some more upper level courses at a post-bacc program? I was accepted into the Dominican University post-bacc program in River Forest, IL.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks :)

Does anyone know how the dual degree acceptance works? I sent in an app for MAMS and today I received an interview invitation for the MHCBM program. I was under the impression that we apply for the MAMS program and if accepted, figure out the concentration after enrollment in the fall.

(The MAMS website states: Applicants interested in a dual degree program should first apply to the MAMS degree program and once accepted to the second program of your choice. Applicants interested in a concentration, should contact the appropriate Program Director during Orientation in September 2013.)

It's Friday so I can't contact their office to clarify. The email didn't mention the dual degree -just the mental health concentration. So does this mean MAMS is still considering me and could possibly reject me... or does the interview apply for both MAMS/MHCBM?

thepintobean, can you clarify four straight semesters?
This program can be finished in one calendar year (students who choose this option typically apply the summer before the program). These students comprise a minority of the student body. If you ask around SDN for an answer to this question you'll most likely get a variety of responses, but i highly suggest you speak with Dr. Offner (the program director, [email protected]), as she is the most knowledgeable and reliable source of information regarding the one v. two year option.

thepintobean, can you clarify four straight semesters?
This program can be finished in one calendar year (students who choose this option typically apply the summer before the program). These students comprise a minority of the student body. If you ask around SDN for an answer to this question you'll most likely get a variety of responses, but i highly suggest you speak with Dr. Offner (the program director, [email protected]), as she is the most knowledgeable and reliable source of information regarding the one v. two year option.

Thanks for replying so quickly! I'm mostly wondering if one semester of MAMS coursework will be enough to show a turnaround in GPA if I do the one-year option. Since I'll be applying to medical schools this month, I will probably send my BU grades out after the fall semester. Do medical schools care about one semester of advanced coursework, or should I just plan on doing my "serious" applications next summer? (dealing with a 3.3 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA)

This is probably not an easy question to answer, just thought this would be the best place to ask. I will also contact the program director

Wait $2400 a month? :wow:

Are leprechauns just that easy to capture in Boston? I'm starting to look for housing anyone who is looking for roommates PM me. Accepted a few weeks back. Would like to keep things under $1500/person.

Congratulations MAMS acceptees!
I am just wrapping up my second year now and applying to MD/DO in June. It's a hard program, but a great one!

So you're in, get looking for housing-NOW. Seriously, Boston housing market is horrifying. 33% of the Boston population is in school. That means everyone is moving in late summer, and everyone has student loans to pay for apartments. So it's expensive, and everything forms large wait lists.
When I got into the MAMS program I got lucky and a former MAMS student "gave" me their apartment, so I jumped the wait list and did not have to be in housing limbo till the last minute.

I live in James Court, a professionally managed building across the street from school. We get special door access too by living here. Gym downstairs, 24/7 Concierge, Coffee/tea bar, garage parking, guest parking, laundry on every floor, but most importantly its REALLY QUIET and REALLY CLOSE to school. My apt is a 1 bedroom, top floor (7th) with a view of the city. Heating/cooling is included, you only pay electric (which for me has been under $40 every month). My lease is up for July first, so if any of you guys wants to slip in and by-pass Realtor fees and waiting lists let me know and I can put you down as taking over my apartment. $2400. Which is about going price for a nice 1bedroom that's near school.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying so quickly! I'm mostly wondering if one semester of MAMS coursework will be enough to show a turnaround in GPA if I do the one-year option. Since I'll be applying to medical schools this month, I will probably send my BU grades out after the fall semester. Do medical schools care about one semester of advanced coursework, or should I just plan on doing my "serious" applications next summer? (dealing with a 3.3 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA)

This is probably not an easy question to answer, just thought this would be the best place to ask. I will also contact the program director

Yea you're probably better off going to offner. But I feel like she may say something like this:

Schools will not get your grades until january, by which point they have already given out a large number of interviews. So you have to ask yourself whether you think you can get at least an interview without this program. If you can't pull that off, don't bother. If you can, then maybe look into it. Looking at your GPA, you're going to need at least a 32 (if not higher) if you want to apply in a month.

To any current MAMS students, is Boston a bike friendly city? Like is it possible two live a few miles out and bike to school or is it impossible because of peds and traffic?

Last edited:
Tons of bikers on the streets. Should be no problem.

starting to look at housing options. any current MAMS students with insight into good places to live? I heard Allston and Brookline are good for night life, but they are kind of far away from the medical campus... any suggestions?

starting to look at housing options. any current MAMS students with insight into good places to live? I heard Allston and Brookline are good for night life, but they are kind of far away from the medical campus... any suggestions?

Yea if you're looking for nightlife, you're in the wrong program. South end is right by campus but kind of expensive. Fenway is cheaper and about a 20-30 min walk or bus ride (free). Jamaica Plain is about the same time on the T. Allston is pretty cheap but its also pretty far out (40 minutes without traffic).

Just got accepted!
(According to AMCAS format)
BCPM: 3.33
AO: 3.28
MCAT: 30
Is anyone looking for a roommate?

How long does it take to get a decision?

I applied to Boston University MAMS and HEM programs ... got accepted at HEM but still no updates about my application status to MAMS!
Both applications were submitted and completed at the same day (around 5 minutes difference)!
It's day 9 after submission ,,, no updates!

Does Boston University send their offers via FedEx?!!

FedEx called me today and said that I have a package that will arrive tomorrow ... I'm not sure if it's from the ABP for Irish med school or from BU as they said they are going to mail my acceptance to HEM program!

I hope it's from ABP but I don't want to get too excited and then it turns out to be from BU,,, so did you receive your offers via FedEx?

Does Boston University send their offers via FedEx?!!

FedEx called me today and said that I have a package that will arrive tomorrow ... I'm not sure if it's from the ABP for Irish med school or from BU as they said they are going to mail my acceptance to HEM program!

I hope it's from ABP but I don't want to get too excited and then it turns out to be from BU,,, so did you receive your offers via FedEx?

I was notified first by e-mail, and the following day I received a letter via regular mail.

Thanks Taco Cat for your reply!
That cheered me up! It might be an acceptance letter from a medical school in Ireland yay
I'm currently not living in the U.S.,, so probably it's going to take longer than one day to receive my letter. I got the email notification on May 21 ,, still no mail letters yet, so it might be the one coming from FedEx or if it was sent via regular mail, it's going to take at least 3 weeks to arrive!

Has anyone been accepted for the Oral Health Sciences track?

abate21 ,,, when was your application completed?
I didn't apply for the oral track but I haven't heard back from them yet! I completed mine on May 15 but I see people are getting offers in a week or 10 days .... it's almost 2 weeks now!

Probably screwed myself bc my mcat scores don't come out till June 11th :-/

when your application is under review or when your application is complete, do you receive an email telling you that? I checked with the office, and they said I was missing LORs. Got those in and called and they said it was complete, and I believe she said I'd received an email saying my application was complete, but that was two weeks ago and I haven't received anything.

Getting worried that my application is sitting there complete, and it's not being looked at, haha.

when your application is under review or when your application is complete, do you receive an email telling you that? I checked with the office, and they said I was missing LORs. Got those in and called and they said it was complete, and I believe she said I'd received an email saying my application was complete, but that was two weeks ago and I haven't received anything.

Getting worried that my application is sitting there complete, and it's not being looked at, haha.

I never recieved an email confirmation. I called and was told my application was complete. Been waiting almost two weeks so I'll probably call on Monday to check.

Just got accepted. Still considering accepting, but want to get a feel for housing and living expenses.

If you are currently looking for apartments or roommates PM me.

I'm used to living dirt cheap ($300-400) in college without much regard for the quality of the apartment so that's what I'm looking for here. I know rent won't come close to this but point is, cheaper the better. The only thing that somewhat matters is the location so looking to strike a balance between the two.

Me: 22 male chill, don't care if living with guys or girls

Twink, I think you and I are in the same boat. From looking through past posts, it looks like people got a decision within a week or two. For anyone who has received a decision, did you receive an email saying your application was under review?

desiderata, I currently live in Boston, and pay 750 with a roommate. I only got such a low rent because I got the place in August, a week before the September 1st move in date so the landlord was desperate and he was asking a much higher rent. I live in Allston which is the cheapest part of boston without going into brighton, which is farther away from the BU campus, and is still pretty far away.

You could pay 600-700 if you live with roommates in Brighton, but it's kind of far, maybe an hour commute. And STAY AWAY from Dorchester, its on the other side of the south end, which is where the med school is, so it seems convenient, but you do not want to live there.

And STAY AWAY from Dorchester,

that's where mark wahlberg is from. today he is worth $150m and seems have gotten his act together...but in his youth he was a violent criminal in Dorchester.

Twink, I think you and I are in the same boat. From looking through past posts, it looks like people got a decision within a week or two. For anyone who has received a decision, did you receive an email saying your application was under review?

desiderata, I currently live in Boston, and pay 750 with a roommate. I only got such a low rent because I got the place in August, a week before the September 1st move in date so the landlord was desperate and he was asking a much higher rent. I live in Allston which is the cheapest part of boston without going into brighton, which is farther away from the BU campus, and is still pretty far away.

You could pay 600-700 if you live with roommates in Brighton, but it's kind of far, maybe an hour commute. And STAY AWAY from Dorchester, its on the other side of the south end, which is where the med school is, so it seems convenient, but you do not want to live there.

I didn't get anything except from the automated email saying my application was submitted. I email Natasha Hall about my letters and she replied saying I was completed. I'm going to call again to see if my application is under review since it has been maybe 3 weeks.

Do they send out rejections by mail or email?

Really, cause I also got an automated email saying my LORs had been submitted, did you get that email? It's the reason I'm assuming I'd get an email saying my app was complete and under review. It seems a little amateurish if they don't send an email.

Really, cause I also got an automated email saying my LORs had been submitted, did you get that email? It's the reason I'm assuming I'd get an email saying my app was complete and under review. It seems a little amateurish if they don't send an email.

I sent my letters to Natasha Hall via Interfolio so I got her email saying she received them and that my application was completed. Maybe we got rejected and the letter is in the mail?