You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Boston University MAMS 2013-2014
Started by 1234smp
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I think people that were rejected also heard quickly (a week or two). My guess is people who haven't heard in two, three, four weeks, are borderline candidates and they are making final admissions decisions before deciding on those applicants. After all, the deadline just passed last week and one might assume that they have every application in that they are going to get.
I'm in the same boat. I have been complete for about a month and have not heard anything.
Do you think your MCAT or GPA are borderline?
My MCAT is borderline but overall I think I am OK. Maybe you are right. Do you know by when we should hear about our decisions? Day before first day of class?
My MCAT is borderline but overall I think I am OK. Maybe you are right. Do you know by when we should hear about our decisions? Day before first day of class?
With a deadline in june, i'd assume july 1 at the worst.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those asking about rejections ,,, I got my rejection via e-mail ... nothing in mail at all!
My application was completed May 15 ... received rejection e-mail on May 29!
My application was completed May 15 ... received rejection e-mail on May 29!
I'm also in the same boat... have been complete for over 4 weeks without a word from BU. I emailed Michelle while Natasha was out of town and she told me that she could not give me a time frame for when I would hear back and that they've received over 600 applications for the program.I think people that were rejected also heard quickly (a week or two). My guess is people who haven't heard in two, three, four weeks, are borderline candidates and they are making final admissions decisions before deciding on those applicants. After all, the deadline just passed last week and one might assume that they have every application in that they are going to get.
I'm in the same boat. I have been complete for about a month and have not heard anything.
Do you think your MCAT or GPA are borderline?
Hopefully we'll hear something soon!
Hey guys, hope you're all having luck with admissions. I'm starting Tufts MBS in fall and since we're all going to be in the same area thought it was worth a shot posting this here. Another Tufts MBS student and I have signed for a 3 bedroom/2.5 bath town house in South Boston and are looking for another roommate. It's a 10 minute walk to the subway and then another 10/15 minute ride to the Tufts station. PM me for photos and more details, rent will be $950/month without utilities. The other student's girlfriend will be living with us as well as their two dogs (a lab and a german shepherd). I'll answer the relevant questions on our part below:
1. Your gender? 2 males and 1 female
2. Preferred gender of roommate(s)? No preference
3. At what time do you typically go to bed (give or take a couple hours)? 11pm-1am
4. At what time do you typically wake up? 7-9am
6. Shared space should be: Mostly orderly and clean
7. In terms of cleaning we should: Clean own messes, take turns for the rest
8. I hope my roommate and I are: Friendly and hangout occasionally.
9. Do you have a significant other who will be around? Yes, one of us does
10. Do you smoke? No
11. Contact if interested: PM me
12. Other comments: The place is a 3 bed, 2.5 bath so you will have your own bedroom and bathroom but will have to share a shower with somebody (not at the same time). I'm happy to answer any questions in this thread as well as via PM.
1. Your gender? 2 males and 1 female
2. Preferred gender of roommate(s)? No preference
3. At what time do you typically go to bed (give or take a couple hours)? 11pm-1am
4. At what time do you typically wake up? 7-9am
6. Shared space should be: Mostly orderly and clean
7. In terms of cleaning we should: Clean own messes, take turns for the rest
8. I hope my roommate and I are: Friendly and hangout occasionally.
9. Do you have a significant other who will be around? Yes, one of us does
10. Do you smoke? No
11. Contact if interested: PM me
12. Other comments: The place is a 3 bed, 2.5 bath so you will have your own bedroom and bathroom but will have to share a shower with somebody (not at the same time). I'm happy to answer any questions in this thread as well as via PM.
I will be attending BU MAMS in the Fall, and I am looking for people to live with. I am 22 and male. I'm trying to find something in the Allston/Brighton area. I don't have any pets and I don't smoke. PM me if interested.
Oh my gosh that's so unsettling about the 600+ applicants.I'm also in the same boat... have been complete for over 4 weeks without a word from BU. I emailed Michelle while Natasha was out of town and she told me that she could not give me a time frame for when I would hear back and that they've received over 600 applications for the program.
Hopefully we'll hear something soon!
I'm a bit confused.... how many medical school courses do we get to take in this program?
On the online decription of the ciriculum, it seems that we only get to take 3 medical school courses. And this contradicts what I've been reading on SDN on how we get to take 5 or 6.
What other medical school courses do we get to take besides:
1. Biochemistry and Cell Biology
2. Medical Physiology A
3. Medical Physiology B
On the online decription of the ciriculum, it seems that we only get to take 3 medical school courses. And this contradicts what I've been reading on SDN on how we get to take 5 or 6.
What other medical school courses do we get to take besides:
1. Biochemistry and Cell Biology
2. Medical Physiology A
3. Medical Physiology B
I have been exchanging e-mails with someone who has been through the first year of the program. Here is what she had to say. (Emphasis added)
During the program you will take Physiology, Biochemistry and Histology as core courses. Then you can choose from Pathology, Pharmacology and a couple of other electives. The core courses are the same courses you will take in your first year of medical school so it is a great way to prepare.
So its only those 3? Or are those electives also medical school courses?
Not sure about your undergraduate education, boss, but as far as I know, my school didn't offer courses in, for example, pathology. (Unless there was something of that sort tucked away in the nursing school course listings somewhere.) So to me that is a medical school course already. I'm not overly concerned with the exact courses. This is BU's "Graduate School of Medical Sciences" so I think it is safe to say that all of the courses are graduate-level and will probably be valuable to a would-be doctor in some way. Exactly the same courses you would take in medical school? Perhaps, perhaps not, but useful and will teach you a lot regardless.
Maybe this link will help you in your search? If not, try getting in touch with the school, maybe an advisor.
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/gms/gateway/students/fall-registration-2013/ma-medsci-fall-2013-registration/
Maybe this link will help you in your search? If not, try getting in touch with the school, maybe an advisor.
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/gms/gateway/students/fall-registration-2013/ma-medsci-fall-2013-registration/
Any BU MAMS alums here?
Do you know if anyone has done this program with a ugpa 3.0 and then made it to MD school afterwards?
Do you know if anyone has done this program with a ugpa 3.0 and then made it to MD school afterwards?
Hi,
I have been accepted into MAMS 2013-2014. I have seen lists/data from other SMP programs stating the number of students that have been accepted at various medical schools. Does BU have such a list? I have seen the general list of schools, however wanted to know what numbers looked like.
Thanks!
I have been accepted into MAMS 2013-2014. I have seen lists/data from other SMP programs stating the number of students that have been accepted at various medical schools. Does BU have such a list? I have seen the general list of schools, however wanted to know what numbers looked like.
Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted530561
Hi! I applied 6/01/13 but had my GRE scores sent 7/14/13. I got an e-mail today saying that I got accepted to the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences (GMS) in Medical Science. Is that the MAMS? Sorry for the noobishness 😛
My e-mail said the same thing, Shyang. The "medical science" is the "MS" in MAMS. Congratulations, noob 
I think your application was not too late. If they have not replied yet, I would guess they are either still considering you or they have not received all the parts of your application. (Not sure if they would notify you explicitly if they were missing something?) Might want to give them a call/e-mail to see if everything is in order.

I submitted my app 6/17 and haven't heard anything back (7/18), did they not consider my app because of its lateness or are people still being admitted?
I think your application was not too late. If they have not replied yet, I would guess they are either still considering you or they have not received all the parts of your application. (Not sure if they would notify you explicitly if they were missing something?) Might want to give them a call/e-mail to see if everything is in order.
How do we register for the courses?
As an alum, let me try to knock out a few of these:
Yes, I know a few. Have to really kill your coursework and apps, but doable.
Biochem and physio are med-school equivalent. Histo, while similar to the med school curriculum, is not. From what I understand, it goes into less detail in some sections. Immuno (second semester elective) is alongside med students.
Path is not med school equivalent. Some of the lectures are the same, but some of the med school lectures are all together missing from the mams course. Pharm is definitely not med school equivalent, and is taught by the prof teaching dental school (not sure if it is dental school equivalent, would have to ask a pre-dent).
They do it for you. I hear that COT is now mandatory, meaning you really have no choice first semester.
Any BU MAMS alums here?
Do you know if anyone has done this program with a ugpa 3.0 and then made it to MD school afterwards?
Yes, I know a few. Have to really kill your coursework and apps, but doable.
So its only those 3? Or are those electives also medical school courses?
Biochem and physio are med-school equivalent. Histo, while similar to the med school curriculum, is not. From what I understand, it goes into less detail in some sections. Immuno (second semester elective) is alongside med students.
Path is not med school equivalent. Some of the lectures are the same, but some of the med school lectures are all together missing from the mams course. Pharm is definitely not med school equivalent, and is taught by the prof teaching dental school (not sure if it is dental school equivalent, would have to ask a pre-dent).
How do we register for the courses?
They do it for you. I hear that COT is now mandatory, meaning you really have no choice first semester.
thanks you so much for your reply JSReed!
Is there anything you didn't like about the program?
Do you think the tufts MBS program is better?
Is there anything you didn't like about the program?
Do you think the tufts MBS program is better?
thanks you so much for your reply JSReed!
Is there anything you didn't like about the program?
Do you think the tufts MBS program is better?
Not really, nothing that's all that significant.
Can't comment on that, didn't go to tufts. I had the choice between the two and I picked BU. But some of my reasons are specific to me, so know the facts and make your own decisions.
D
deleted404486
i saw someone with a 3.4 and 31 mcat apply for this post bac.
Aren't those stats good enough to land somewhere in US MD school?
I mean if you have a 3.4 and 31 if you apply early enough with decent ECs i think you will get an acceptance no?
Is there something special about this post-bac?
Aren't those stats good enough to land somewhere in US MD school?
I mean if you have a 3.4 and 31 if you apply early enough with decent ECs i think you will get an acceptance no?
Is there something special about this post-bac?
Is there anything you alums would recommend to pre read or pre study before the fall semester starts?
Well, my application is complete and still haven't heard anything via e-mail, phone, etc. Has anybody been admitted recently? Now I'm nervous, either I'm rejected or accepted and have 2 weeks to move across the country and buy textbooks and settle in before the hardest academic year of my life? Great!
Hi I was wondering if anyone could comment on why the chose or are choosing BU MAMS over other programs. I have been accepted into both Tufts and BU and am debating on which program. I know they will serve the same purpose but any reasons why you're choosing or chose BU over Tufts would be appreciated, thank you!
BU MAMS alumni here. I'd choose BU over Tufts anyday. BU MAMS has one of the most well established programs. Next to Drexel IMS and Gtown's Master's in Physiology SMP.
Also, to the previous poster, yes ug GPA of 3.0 (probably school dependent) and made into an M.D. school. That was like most of all of my classmates at MAMS back in the day. Yes you can do it, once u start make sure that you absolutely rock it. Good luck! Some of my best friends I met during post bacc.
Also, to the previous poster, yes ug GPA of 3.0 (probably school dependent) and made into an M.D. school. That was like most of all of my classmates at MAMS back in the day. Yes you can do it, once u start make sure that you absolutely rock it. Good luck! Some of my best friends I met during post bacc.
Anyone recommend anything to preread or pre-study?
Has anyone head back recently? I've been complete for a while and still waiting :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone still looking for a roommate?
I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the program. I have been accepted to Johns Hopkins HSI program as well as BU MAMS. I am trying to make a decision and would like some feedback on BU's program. (Hopkins program is its infancy... the first year of the program is finishing up this semester)
Just got accepted. I was wondering if theres a facebook group or something for this program to look for roommates?