Boston University MAMS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got accepted a few weeks back and I saw that it said acceptance may be compromised if our last official transcript doesn't meet GMS standards. What does this mean? I got all A's this year but I am struggling in a single class that I take the final for next week. I'm trying my best and studying, but worried I may get a B or C. Does anybody know if that would compromise the acceptance or if that is only if you fail a class or something?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was accepted with quite a few B's and C's on my transcript, so I think you'll probably be fine

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just turned in my deposit! Tried to join the FB group but its been pending for the last week. Anyone know how I can expedite the process? Looking to figure out my housing situation as soon as possible.

Does anyone know if students can start research/ clinical volunteer work in the first semester? It would be nice to get some more of that on my resume before applying in the spring of next year.

Does anyone know if students can start research/ clinical volunteer work in the first semester? It would be nice to get some more of that on my resume before applying in the spring of next year.

1st semester is much more stressful than 2nd in my opinion because 1) this is when you take the bulk of the “med equivalent” courses and 2) there is often an adjustment period for getting used to the medical coursework, so even Dr. Offner highly advises against anything but studying for first semester

You’ll have a tad bit more time 2nd semester and this is the time that people begin volunteering/app building. But nothing substantial that’ll allow you to rack up like 100 hrs+, as you will still have courses going on that require your focus and may even need to begin reviewing for the MCAT if you plan to retake that summer prior to submitting AMCAS that upcoming june

1st semester is much more stressful than 2nd in my opinion because 1) this is when you take the bulk of the “med equivalent” courses and 2) there is often an adjustment period for getting used to the medical coursework, so even Dr. Offner highly advises against anything but studying for first semester

You’ll have a tad bit more time 2nd semester and this is the time that people begin volunteering/app building. But nothing substantial that’ll allow you to rack up like 100 hrs+, as you will still have courses going on that require your focus and may even need to begin reviewing for the MCAT if you plan to retake that summer prior to submitting AMCAS that upcoming june

We only recommend focusing on your course work first semester! The classes are rigorous and there is a bit of an adjustment period. You really will not have the time to do both. Second semester is a different story. The work is a little easier and you've gotten your studying figured out. Many of us have found some time to do other things. That being said, there isn't that much more time in your week. I wouldn't take on a lot more second semester, but you certainly would have time to volunteer.

Also, many of us figure out our thesis projects during the spring. So, even though you won't begin the work until after submitting your primary application, you will still be able to include your future plans (such as research) on your application.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Last edited:
Do they curve the classes? or is it the grade you get is what you get?

has anyone heard anything from the program about orientation, tuition, etc? i haven't gotten an email since my acceptance

Has anyone who submitted their application in late may heard anything back from the program?

has anyone heard anything from the program about orientation, tuition, etc? i haven't gotten an email since my acceptance

There have been multiple emails sent out since then, you should send an email out to Ali Grise or another person in the program to inform them of this!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an accepted student to MAMS 2018-2019 but I have not yet taken the MCAT. Does anyone know what the suggested test date is in this situation? I want to have it in time for next years application cycle.

I am an accepted student to MAMS 2018-2019 but I have not yet taken the MCAT. Does anyone know what the suggested test date is in this situation? I want to have it in time for next years application cycle.

I’m going to retake in June after second semester and that way you’ll have it for the next cycle. There’s a Princeton review offered by the school for prep and then I think you’ll have about three weeks after that for independent study and to knock out FL’s. I think this is the route most MAMS students take that will be taking/retaking the test

I'm in the same boat as you! I talked to the program director and she said most students take it for the first time/ retake it in June, which works well with next years app cycle

There have been multiple emails sent out since then, you should send an email out to Ali Grise or another person in the program to inform them of this!

Hmm I've been getting emails about current events/ newsletters, but nothing from the actual program itself. Are you referring to the newsletter or something else?

Hmm I've been getting emails about current events/ newsletters, but nothing from the actual program itself. Are you referring to the newsletter or something else?

Looking over my inbox briefly, I have recieved:

-A Welcome to MAMS Email containing info about final transcripts to be sent, orientation, BU Email registration, etc etc.
-BU Financial Assistance Information
-Something about early-access to E-mail and online resources
-An email from Dr. Offner about how to format AMCAS if you're applying this cycle
-An email about Medical Student Residence housing lottery

and maybe a couple others? These were all to my non-BU email address

I’m going to retake in June after second semester and that way you’ll have it for the next cycle. There’s a Princeton review offered by the school for prep and then I think you’ll have about three weeks after that for independent study and to knock out FL’s. I think this is the route most MAMS students take that will be taking/retaking the test

Yes! Most of us take the MCAT mid June and apply the same cycle!

Does anyone know if we had to apply to the dual masters programs before starting, or if we can apply once students?

Congrats to everyone! I called today to ask a few questions and Ali Grise was so helpful.

I submitted mine 5/20, marked complete 5/24 and I’m waiting and praying now. If I’m accepted, I’m serious about attending. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!
did u get accepted??

Is the related medical science class the research portion of the program?

Does anyone know where you can check to see if your application was completed or not? I submitted a few weeks back but do not know if I am completed /: anxious

Is the related medical science class the research portion of the program?

Your first semester you will be taking Physiology A, Biochemistry/Cell Biology and Histology. You will also be enrolled in 2 credits worth of thesis research (but will not complete research until your second year). Your second semester you will be taking Physiology B, Pharmacology or Pathology, Anatomy or Immunology, Biostatistics, and Biomed Info. Biomed info helps you to prepare to write your thesis. You will also be enrolled in 2 credits worth of thesis research (but will not complete research until your second year). Then, your second year you will enroll in an additional 4 credits of thesis research and will complete your thesis during the second year.

Your first semester you will be taking Physiology A, Biochemistry/Cell Biology and Histology. You will also be enrolled in 2 credits worth of thesis research (but will not complete research until your second year). Your second semester you will be taking Physiology B, Pharmacology or Pathology, Anatomy or Immunology, Biostatistics, and Biomed Info. Biomed info helps you to prepare to write your thesis. You will also be enrolled in 2 credits worth of thesis research (but will not complete research until your second year). Then, your second year you will enroll in an additional 4 credits of thesis research and will complete your thesis during the second year.

If we're not completing research, is the 2 credits of thesis research in each semester just a place holder credit? Or do we work on finding a PI or mentor in this time?

Also, sorry to be nitpicky, but is that second semester scheduled as: Mandatory Physio B, and then any 2 courses out of the rest of the classes you listed?

Did anyone email back the adcoms saying you were willing to wait for your application to be reviewed and heard back yet?

If we're not completing research, is the 2 credits of thesis research in each semester just a place holder credit? Or do we work on finding a PI or mentor in this time?

Also, sorry to be nitpicky, but is that second semester scheduled as: Mandatory Physio B, and then any 2 courses out of the rest of the classes you listed?

The research credits during your first year are purely placeholder. You will receive a grade for them after you complete your thesis the second year.

Physio B (mandatory)
Pharmacology vs Pathology (pick 1)
Anatomy vs Immunology (pick 1)
Biostatistics (mandatory, unless you have taken a statistics course in college in the last 5 years)
Biomed Info (mandatory)

Did anyone email back the adcoms saying you were willing to wait for your application to be reviewed and heard back yet?
I called to inquire and they said that as long as we emailed Dr. Offner the committee has saved out application! Fingers crossed lol

Accepted this morning!

My application was not marked complete until yesterday due to issues with my advisor not sending in my committee letter. I sent a letter of interest earlier in the week!

Now, how do I find housing options this late? HELP!

Accepted this morning!

My application was not marked complete until yesterday due to issues with my advisor not sending in my committee letter. I sent a letter of interest earlier in the week!

You should look at Boston Housing page on Facebook! Lot of people are looking for roommates right now.

So it seems like most people are taking/re-taking MCAT in June after completing the coursework. I haven't taken MCAT yet and don't want to rush by studying only 3 weeks. Do people also prepare application and take MCAT during their 2nd thesis year?

So it seems like most people are taking/re-taking MCAT in June after completing the coursework. I haven't taken MCAT yet and don't want to rush by studying only 3 weeks. Do people also prepare application and take MCAT during their 2nd thesis year?

Hi! We finish classes in May and then you have approximately ~5 weeks to study for the MCAT and take it on June 16th. Some who were less comfortable with that timeline took it on June 30th. Most of us worked on our personal statement/primary application throughout the 2nd semester so that it was all ready to go and submitted it June 1st. I also used winter/spring break and off time during the spring semester to study for the MCAT. It can take several weeks for the primary application to get verified which is why you ideally need to submit the first week of June. Then, we waited for our MCAT scores to come back to choose which schools to apply to and start working on secondaries.

If you do not want to rush to take the MCAT, you definitely do not have to but you would be delaying your application until the next cycle if that makes sense. Taking the MCAT any later than June 30th would make your application too late for the current application cycle, so you could always use your thesis year to study for the MCAT and then apply at the end of your thesis year.

Accepted this morning!

Yes request to join the bu gms / mams 2018 facebook group! Many students are looking for roommates!

Is an MCAT score required for this program?

I am studying as much as I can for the MCAT before the program starts, but am having trouble prioritizing. I'm unsure of whether I should focus on material in need of review that's covered within the first semester classes of this program (e.g., metabolism, respiratory system, etc.) since they are rigorous or the vise versa (i.e., physics, etc.) since these won't be covered as much this term.
Thank you!

I am studying as much as I can for the MCAT before the program starts, but am having trouble prioritizing. I'm unsure of whether I should focus on material in need of review that's covered within the first semester classes of this program (e.g., metabolism, respiratory system, etc.) since they are rigorous or the vise versa (i.e., physics, etc.) since these won't be covered as much this term.
Thank you!

I do not recommend focusing on ANY of the bio/biochem prep - you will learn this in much more depth than needed throughout the MAMS year and will not even need to study this section for the MCAT. Start focusing on physics, gen chem/orgo and psych/soc. That way after the program when you really get into your MCAT studying some of it will seem like review. Again, even when prepping for 5 weeks after MAMS I did not touch bio/biochem you will learn and retain everything you need to know for this section in MAMS!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
That is a great idea! I similarly began studying the summer before MAMS and I really think it helped me with the short timeline of taking the MCAT June 16 after the program. I do not recommend focusing on ANY of the bio/biochem prep - you will learn this in much more depth than needed throughout the MAMS year and will not even need to study this section for the MCAT. Start focusing on physics, gen chem/orgo and psych/soc. That way after the program when you really get into your MCAT studying some of it will seem like review. Again, even when prepping for 5 weeks after MAMS I did not touch bio/biochem you will learn and retain everything you need to know for this section in MAMS!

That is VERY helpful - thank you!

Hey all! Thank you for your interest in the MAMS program. Please feel free to use this space to ask any questions that you may have!

Could you describe what a typical day/week was like? How many hours a day outside of class did you spend studying? Did you feel you had time at least once a week to unwind?

Below is the general fall class schedule. I would typically start my day around 7 AM. Wake up, get to school and preread for the lectures/labs for that day so I had an idea of what I was going to be learning. In between classes, I would take my lunch break/finish up reviewing for the next class. After classes, I would stay on campus to study until around 10 PM (I studied best at the library but some students choose to study at home as well). On weekends, I would sleep in a little bit and get to the library around 10/11 AM. Scattered in between, I would make time to go to the gym ~3 times per week. On Sundays, I would take a study break for a few hours to go grocery shopping, meal prep and maybe do something fun for myself. I cannot stress enough how important it is to take some time for yourself and take care of your health! This year is tough academically, but so rewarding and absolutely doable if you can get yourself into a routine. Also, I would always take the rest of an exam day off! Exam days are mentally draining and it is so necessary to reward yourself and recharge. I would usually nap, catch up on my favorite TV shows and then do something fun in Boston with the other MAMS students.

Monday
Physiology Discussion 10 AM - 11:20 AM
Biochem Lecture 12 PM - 1:50 PM
COT Lecture 3 PM - 4:20 PM

Tuesday
COT Lab 10 AM - 11:20 AM
COT Lecture 2 PM - 3:20 PM

Wednesday
Physiology Lecture 10 AM - 11:20 AM

Thursday
COT Lab 8:30 AM - 9:50 AM

Friday

Reactions: 4 users
Below is the general fall class schedule. I would typically start my day around 7 AM. Wake up, get to school and preread for the lectures/labs for that day so I had an idea of what I was going to be learning. In between classes, I would take my lunch break/finish up reviewing for the next class. After classes, I would stay on campus to study until around 10 PM (I studied best at the library but some students choose to study at home as well). On weekends, I would sleep in a little bit and get to the library around 10/11 AM. Scattered in between, I would make time to go to the gym ~3 times per week. On Sundays, I would take a study break for a few hours to go grocery shopping, meal prep and maybe do something fun for myself. I cannot stress enough how important it is to take some time for yourself and take care of your health! This year is tough academically, but so rewarding and absolutely doable if you can get yourself into a routine. Also, I would always take the rest of an exam day off! Exam days are mentally draining and it is so necessary to reward yourself and recharge. I would usually nap, catch up on my favorite TV shows and then do something fun in Boston with the other MAMS students.

Monday
Physiology Discussion 10 AM - 11:20 AM
COT Lecture 3 PM - 4:20 PM

Tuesday
COT Lab 10 AM - 11:20 AM
COT Lecture 2 PM - 3:20 PM

Wednesday

Thursday
COT Lab 8:30 AM - 9:50 AM

Friday

This is so excellent, thank you. Could you talk a bit about what COT lab is like and how it's formatted?

This is so excellent, thank you. Could you talk a bit about what COT lab is like and how it's formatted?

Yeah! So COT is Cellular Organization of Tissues and ultimately is a Histology course. We are broken up into several smaller classrooms each with an instructor and 2 TAs. You will be in a lab group of 4 people. Essentially what we spend our time doing is looking at microscopic tissue samples on a computer program - you will just need your laptop and will be given instructions to download it. You will be given a lab manual that describes what to look for in each tissue sample and the instructor/TAs circulate around the room to help you! The first half of the course you will be looking at cells and tissue types. The second half of the course you will be looking at organ systems. After each lab, you are given a simple drawing assignment to sketch something you saw during the lab.

That response was awesome , thank you so much

does anyone know when final decisions go out? I've been emailing BU but haven't had much response.

What courses do you recommend taking in the spring? Which classes are easier? Which classes do you think have more implications on MCAT and general success in medical school going forward?

Thanks

If one were interested in completing a concentration, how would that work schedule-wise? Would they take courses for the concentration during the first year or second?