Boston University MAMS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1031478

Hey guys! I wanted to get the ball rolling and create this thread. I applied in January and am anxiously waiting a decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there I am looking to apply to this program too. Have you taken your mcat yet?
No, I wanted to apply early so I submitted without test scores. It says online that they prefer either GRE or MCAT but they will consider without scores. My GPA is really good, but I think I made a mistake on applying without scores, we shall see. Word of advice, if you have any questions regarding the program, be sure to email them before you apply. For some reason they don't respond to emails once you apply until they send your decision (my experience)

No, I wanted to apply early so I submitted without test scores. It says online that they prefer either GRE or MCAT but they will consider without scores. My GPA is really good, but I think I made a mistake on applying without scores, we shall see. Word of advice, if you have any questions regarding the program, be sure to email them before you apply. For some reason they don't respond to emails once you apply until they send your decision (my experience)

Would you just submit scores as an update then? Or not at all? Was also planning to apply now and then update with my MCAT scores when they get released in April..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I emailed the MAMS email and they said that if your GPA is a B+ or above, you don't need to send test scores, especially if you did poorly. I applied without scores in mid-January and I'm still waiting on a decision

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I thought this would help: I applied January 28 and all my recommendations were submitted February 8. I was accepted to MAMS yesterday morning.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I thought this would help: I applied January 28 and all my recommendations were submitted February 8. I was accepted to MAMS yesterday morning.
Congrats! Did you receive an email with a decision or did you see it in the application portal?

My overall GPA is 3.43 and my science gpa (post-bacc classes I took) is 3.81. I wonder if those are good enough stats to get into their program.

My overall GPA is 3.43 and my science gpa (post-bacc classes I took) is 3.81. I wonder if those are good enough stats to get into their program.

Honestly I think you’re fine and should consider applying to MAMS, but you should also consider forgoing all that and applying at least to DO schools

I submitted my application on February 4th and got accepted on February 6th!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you just submit scores as an update then? Or not at all? Was also planning to apply now and then update with my MCAT scores when they get released in April..

I think I jumped the gun and was thinking I need to apply early so I didn't apply with any scores. My application is already completed so I can't add my GRE scores that I should be getting soon.

Hello, thank you for starting this thread! I applied in December and am anxiously waiting for a decision. Congrats to those who got in!

Hi everyone!

I just submitted last night without test scores. I wouldn’t have taken the GRE until at least the end of March and didn’t think it would make a significant enough difference to wait that long. Has anyone been accepted without GRE/MCAT yet?

Hi everyone!

I just submitted last night without test scores. I wouldn’t have taken the GRE until at least the end of March and didn’t think it would make a significant enough difference to wait that long. Has anyone been accepted without GRE/MCAT yet?

I did the same as you. I haven't heard of anyone getting accepted without scores yet, but I just received an official "application complete" email, so maybe that's why I haven't heard back. I'm wondering though if they hold onto the no score applicants until May, because if you look at previous years threads for BU MAMS there were people saying they applied early but didn't hear back till May-ish. However, they all seemed to get in. I think I'm just anxious, haha.

BU MAMS is my first choice but I REALLY hope they give me an answer before may because I applied to schools with 2-3 week deadlines to accept...

I did the same as you. I haven't heard of anyone getting accepted without scores yet, but I just received an official "application complete" email, so maybe that's why I haven't heard back. I'm wondering though if they hold onto the no score applicants until May, because if you look at previous years threads for BU MAMS there were people saying they applied early but didn't hear back till May-ish. However, they all seemed to get in. I think I'm just anxious, haha.

I also just received the complete email about half an hour ago! May will be an agonizing wait if that’s the case. I actually looked up and it looks like someone was already accepted without scores. Fingers crossed for us both! :)

I just emailed them to receive an application update since I submitted mid January. My application has been reviewed and I've been placed on hold. Also did not submit with test scores

I'm applying late March with a GRE score because I emailed them a few months back with my stats (cGPA: 3.2, sGPA: 3.2) and they've mentioned it's helpful. Also to add here I've been out of undergraduate for 6 years, so all the more reason to have an updated academic performance.

I just emailed them to receive an application update since I submitted mid January. My application has been reviewed and I've been placed on hold. Also did not submit with test scores
Did they mention anything else in the email? I applied at the end of January, but I only received an email saying my application was complete a few days ago, so I'm not sure where I am. I'm wondering if they keep the people who applied without test scores on hold until May-ish. Last years thread showed a bunch of people saying they applied in January and heard back in May.

Did they mention anything else in the email? I applied at the end of January, but I only received an email saying my application was complete a few days ago, so I'm not sure where I am. I'm wondering if they keep the people who applied without test scores on hold until May-ish. Last years thread showed a bunch of people saying they applied in January and heard back in May.

They just said that they would actively consider my application in the coming weeks and that I'm able to send updates on grades, test scores, experiences, etc as updates to my application

They just said that they would actively consider my application in the coming weeks and that I'm able to send updates on grades, test scores, experiences, etc as updates to my application
Thank you for the info. Sounds like what I was talking about before... They wait until April/May and then they consider the people without test scores. You're still in the running my friend, unfortunately the wait is the worst part. Were you planning on taking the GRE or MCAT?

Thank you for the info. Sounds like what I was talking about before... They wait until April/May and then they consider the people without test scores. You're still in the running my friend, unfortunately the wait is the worst part. Were you planning on taking the GRE or MCAT?

The MCAT but I don't plan on taking it until June and I hope that they wouldn't wait that long to give a response. I visited last summer and loved the program so I'm a bit disappointed but we'll see how this process goes

The MCAT but I don't plan on taking it until June and I hope that they wouldn't wait that long to give a response. I visited last summer and loved the program so I'm a bit disappointed but we'll see how this process goes
I hear you... I feel like if I emailed them I would get the same response. It's my first choice so I'm going to hang in there. I will let you know if I hear anything on my side.

Sorry to hear you’re on hold...hopefully they get back to you sooner rather than later. Do you mind sharing your stats and ECs?

Sorry to hear you’re on hold...hopefully they get back to you sooner rather than later. Do you mind sharing your stats and ECs?

3.2 cgpa 3.1 sgpa. Several medical/public health internships as well as competitive international/national awards. Over 500+ volunteer hours and shadowing. Lots of leadership positions and public health advocacy projects + activism.

Hi everyone!

I was accepted in late January without GRE/MCAT. I applied in early January. I hope this helps!

Does anyone know if BU automatically rejects/screens applicants to the med school even if they’ve done well in MABS. I read somewhere on SDN a while ago that there was someone who got a 3.7 or so in MABS but was screened out for the med school because he didn’t have a 3.4 undergrad GPA. Does anyone know anything about this?

Does anyone know if BU automatically rejects/screens applicants to the med school even if they’ve done well in MABS. I read somewhere on SDN a while ago that there was someone who got a 3.7 or so in MABS but was screened out for the med school because he didn’t have a 3.4 undergrad GPA. Does anyone know anything about this?

I haven't heard that, but I'm not sure. Seeing as BU only takes 20-30 MAMS students tells me there could be several reasons why they were rejected, could be they just ran out of space.

Something I thought I would mention... My mentor, the medical director of the clinic I volunteered at (and was on the admissions board of a top med school) told me not to worry about the "guaranteed interviews" if you make a certain GPA and MCAT. She said those are just used to entice student's into the program. She told me there were several times shes been on panels where they interviewed people they knew weren't going to make it from the get-go.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone!

Thank you for your interest in the MAMS program, and thank you to the OP for starting off the new thread. Please use this space to ask any questions you may have regarding the program– we're more than happy to answer them!

Hi everyone!

Thank you for your interest in the MAMS program, and thank you to the OP for starting off the new thread. Please use this space to ask any questions you may have regarding the program– we're more than happy to answer them!

What stats do you need in the MAMS program to be considered for the BU School Of Medicine interview? What were the stats of MAMS students that were recently admitted to BU School Of Medicine?

What stats do you need in the MAMS program to be considered for the BU School Of Medicine interview? What were the stats of MAMS students that were recently admitted to BU School Of Medicine?

Unfortunately, we do not have hard stats on this given that consideration for an interview and subsequent acceptance depend on a multitude of factors, including performance in MAMS, MCAT scores, letters of recommendation, activities and experiences, etc. Approximately 20-25 MAMS students are accepted to BUSM every year. For more specific numbers, please refer to Ying-Ju Lai, at [email protected].

For stellar MAMS students who had screen for BUSM), would they be automatically screened out before getting an interview invite, even if they did amazing in the MAMS program?

For stellar MAMS students who had screen for BUSM), would they be automatically screened out before getting an interview invite, even if they did amazing in the MAMS program?

This page is run by current second-year student leaders. Given that this is a specific case, we don't want to mis-inform you. Try reaching out to Ying-Ju Lai ([email protected]) as she may be better suited to answer this question.

This page is run by current second-year student leaders. Given that this is a specific case, we don't want to mis-inform you. Try reaching out to Ying-Ju Lai ([email protected]) as she may be better suited to answer this question.
What are the classes like? What professors teach what classes and how would you rate them in terms of grading and teaching?

What are the classes like? What professors teach what classes and how would you rate them in terms of grading and teaching?

The professors in the MAMS program are the same professors that teach both the medical and dental students at BU. Grades are not scaled. Instead, the cutoffs for reach letter grade is predetermined beforehand, and may vary from class to class. You may reach out to Dr. Offner, our program director ([email protected]), or Ying-Ju Lai ([email protected]), and request to speak with a current student regarding their experience in the MAMS program in order to better answer the rest of your questions!

@Boston University MAMS I received an email saying that "The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and placed it on Hold. The committee will continue to actively consider your application in the coming weeks." What does this mean? Is this an unofficial waitlist? When do applicants typically hear back?

I just received my acceptance! I'm so excited--hope to see some of you in the fall!

Stats:
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.2
No GRE/MCAT
3,000+ clinical hours
Several leadership positions & volunteer positions

While in the program, were you able to do EC's on top of the coursework? (i.e. - volunteering, research, clinical exp)

@Boston University MAMS I received an email saying that "The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and placed it on Hold. The committee will continue to actively consider your application in the coming weeks." What does this mean? Is this an unofficial waitlist? When do applicants typically hear back?

We'd recommend you reach out to Ying-Ju Lai ([email protected]) who'd be able to give you a more accurate answer!