Boston University MAMS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While in the program, were you able to do EC's on top of the coursework? (i.e. - volunteering, research, clinical exp)

There are certainly opportunities to take on some EC's. Given the rigor and busy schedule of the first semester, it's recommended that students devote all of their time to studying during this time. There is more unstructured free time during the second semester, however, and many students take this time to explore EC's outside of the classroom. There are many worthwhile volunteering opportunities in the area! The second year of MAMS, by contrast, is completely unstructured. Given that your only responsibility is thesis work, many students also pursue volunteering and clinical experiences during this time.

Members don't see this ad.

I just received my acceptance! I'm so excited--hope to see some of you in the fall!

Stats:
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.2
No GRE/MCAT
3,000+ clinical hours
Several leadership positions & volunteer positions
Congrats! I'm so happy for you. Hopefully I will hear back soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have info on when the program starts, when orientation is, etc. etc.?

Anyone have info on when the program starts, when orientation is, etc. etc.?

The date for orientation is not set yet as far as we know (it's coordinated by all of Graduate Medical Sciences). Last year it was on August 30th, with classes starting the Tuesday after Labor Day.

I think I jumped the gun and was thinking I need to apply early so I didn't apply with any scores. My application is already completed so I can't add my GRE scores that I should be getting soon.
I am in the same boat as you! I applied early February and have not heard anything back yet. So anxious! I also didn't apply with scores. Have you heard back yet?

I am in the same boat as you! I applied early February and have not heard anything back yet. So anxious! I also didn't apply with scores. Have you heard back yet?
Hey! Nothing yet :arghh: It's driving me crazy too. BU is my top choice and I was thinking omg apply early don't wait and take the GRE and now I'm regretting it. Last year's forum thread for BU MAMS there was some people in the same boat as us... they applied around the same time we did and they didn't hear back until April/May. I'm wondering if BU saves most of the people who apply without scores until they hear back from the first batch of selected candidates... I dunno though, just speculating.

Hey! Nothing yet :arghh: It's driving me crazy too. BU is my top choice and I was thinking omg apply early don't wait and take the GRE and now I'm regretting it. Last year's forum thread for BU MAMS there was some people in the same boat as us... they applied around the same time we did and they didn't hear back until April/May. I'm wondering if BU saves most of the people who apply without scores until they hear back from the first batch of selected candidates... I dunno though, just speculating.
It’s confusing, because some people didn’t apply with scores either and they still got accepted so idk. I guess we just have to wait it out even though just like you, I applied early so that I wouldn’t have to wait so long .

Also I saw on another comment that you had trouble receiving an email reply from them. If I were you, I would call the office. They picked up quickly when I called and were able to answer some of my questions about my application and about why it’s taking so long for a decision (but obviously weren’t able to tell me anything specific). Hope that helps you! Let me know how it goes!

It’s confusing, because some people didn’t apply with scores either and they still got accepted so idk. I guess we just have to wait it out even though just like you, I applied early so that I wouldn’t have to wait so long .

Also I saw on another comment that you had trouble receiving an email reply from them. If I were you, I would call the office. They picked up quickly when I called and were able to answer some of my questions about my application and about why it’s taking so long for a decision (but obviously weren’t able to tell me anything specific). Hope that helps you! Let me know how it goes!
Yeah I will call them on Monday and see if I can get anywhere. On the phone, did they tell you that your application was still being reviewed?

Yeah I will call them on Monday and see if I can get anywhere. On the phone, did they tell you that your application was still being reviewed?
When I emailed back (after being told I was on hold), they said to reach out again in a month if I haven't heard back from them. They also said that the majority of applicants are held in a hold status at this time.

@MedTen2804 @LauraVanDerBooben I was told the exact same thing (that if they don't reach out to me in 4 weeks then I should reach out to them). This conversation was 3 weeks after I had already applied. @MedTen2804 did they explain further what they meant by "the majority of applicants are held in a hold status at this time"? Cause they didn't say that part to me so not sure what that means.

@MedTen2804 @LauraVanDerBooben I was told the exact same thing (that if they don't reach out to me in 4 weeks then I should reach out to them). This conversation was 3 weeks after I had already applied. @MedTen2804 did they explain further what they meant by "the majority of applicants are held in a hold status at this time"? Cause they didn't say that part to me so not sure what that means.
I think they might have told me this because I asked them what does the "Hold Status" mean. They just said that "we have not yet reached any decision, and that we need some time to deliberate before reaching a decision." For reference, I applied on February 1st and I was told this yesterday.

My application was sent in in mid February all I am waiting for is my letters of recommendation and they should be done within the upcoming week. Does anybody know if I am at a disadvantage by being out of state?

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was sent in in mid February all I am waiting for is my letters of recommendation and they should be done within the upcoming week. Does anybody know if I am at a disadvantage by being out of state?
I don't think so. I hate to sound cynical, but it seems like it all comes down to GPA and test scores (if you have them).

@Boston University MAMS Does the program help set up research positions or a health-related job? What do students usually do with their degree if they do not matriculate directly into their preferred choice of program (MD/DO)?

I totally forgot to post. Yes, I called this morning, got voicemail. So I decided to follow-up with an email. Was told they are actively reviewing my application and couldn't give me anymore information at this time. I guess no news is good news.

@Boston University MAMS Does the program help set up research positions or a health-related job? What do students usually do with their degree if they do not matriculate directly into their preferred choice of program (MD/DO)?

Although the program may not directly set up research positions, students are notified of research and volunteering opportunities via email throughout the program (research-related openings are sent to students in the second semester to aid in their search for a lab that will oversee their thesis project). Students who do not matriculate to medical school following the completion of MAMS will often continue in research or some healthcare related work (EMS, scribing, etc).

I took the GRE and got a combined 325. GPA 3.4. However, the admission persons I spoke to when I got more information didn't seem to think I had enough clinical experience when I explained my background + experience.

I'll take that as a probable rejection given everyone's fast responses. Guess you need a lot more clinical experience. IDK about my scores.

@Boston University MAMS when does the program application open for the next cycle. I see when decisions start coming out but not when the earliest you can apply is.

Also I am seeing GPA's accepted on this forum around 3.5/3.6 but the average accepted GPA around a 3.3 on your website. If you are closer to the 3.3 end of a GPA, is this concerning?

I haven't heard that, but I'm not sure. Seeing as BU only takes 20-30 MAMS students tells me there could be several reasons why they were rejected, could be they just ran out of space.

Something I thought I would mention... My mentor, the medical director of the clinic I volunteered at (and was on the admissions board of a top med school) told me not to worry about the "guaranteed interviews" if you make a certain GPA and MCAT. She said those are just used to entice student's into the program. She told me there were several times shes been on panels where they interviewed people they knew weren't going to make it from the get-go.

if that is the case and your MAMs GPA is significantly higher than your undergraduate GPA, then what is the purpose of completing the program at all?

@Boston University MAMS when does the program application open for the next cycle. I see when decisions start coming out but not when the earliest you can apply is.

Also I am seeing GPA's accepted on this forum around 3.5/3.6 but the average accepted GPA around a 3.3 on your website. If you are closer to the 3.3 end of a GPA, is this concerning?

The MAMS program is still actively receiving applications! Students are strongly encouraged to apply prior to June 1st.
An overall GPA in the 3.3 range is acceptable to apply to MAMS and is certainly not concerning.

I was wondering if I could get any advice on my particular situation. I have a C and S gpa around 3.55, with a questionable trend (somewhat up and down). Graduating in May. I also don’t have any ECs for the past year, but had ECs before that. no MCAT score yet. Would BU MAMS be a good fit for me? I am particularly interested in going to BUSOM. How much would attending BU MAMS increase my chances of interview/acceptance? And would I best be suited to do the 1 or 2 year program?

I was wondering if I could get any advice on my particular situation. I have a C and S gpa around 3.55, with a questionable trend (somewhat up and down). Graduating in May. I also don’t have any ECs for the past year, but had ECs before that. no MCAT score yet. Would BU MAMS be a good fit for me? I am particularly interested in going to BUSOM. How much would attending BU MAMS increase my chances of interview/acceptance? And would I best be suited to do the 1 or 2 year program?

We would suggest reaching out to Dr. Offner ([email protected]), our program director, who can give you a better idea of where you stand and whether MAMS is right for you!

Is there going to be a Facebook group to find roommates for houses/apartments?

Anyone in this thread doing a dual masters for the MAMS program or is everyone doing the standard MAMS program?

Any update on this?
I found the group on FB! It’s private so I requested to join but haven’t been added yet. I think on previous years’ threads they said that they only add people once their deposits have been processed!

Hey,
Does anyone know if BU is making accommodations to the cancellation of MCAT dates through March and April? I just got the email this morning that my test date was canceled and I'm not sure how long the mams program will wait for a score to release an admission decision?

Hello, I applied in December and have been put on hold. I have been following this thread for awhile since I'm pretty concerned with my application. Anyone applied earlier or around the same time and have not gotten a reply yet?

I don't have the greatest GPA, but I took the GRE and decided not to submit it because I wasn't satisfied with my math section score. Any thoughts if I should still submit my score?

Hey all! I know this is a hard topic, but how is everyone considering the finances with MAMS? It's pretty pricey, and looking at loans has been feeling a bit overwhelming.

Hello, I applied in December and have been put on hold. I have been following this thread for awhile since I'm pretty concerned with my application. Anyone applied earlier or around the same time and have not gotten a reply yet?

I don't have the greatest GPA, but I took the GRE and decided not to submit it because I wasn't satisfied with my math section score. Any thoughts if I should still submit my score?

Hi! You can reach out directly to either Ying-Ju Lai ([email protected]) or Dr. Offner ([email protected]) who would be able to better advise you regarding your application!

Hey all! I know this is a hard topic, but how is everyone considering the finances with MAMS? It's pretty pricey, and looking at loans has been feeling a bit overwhelming.
I agree- I'm in the process of filling out my FAFSA so I know that I'll at least have that avenue. But likely the rest of the program is going to have to be paid for by private loans and that can definitely feel daunting. :(

@eggsan @ZAMBAA Hey guys, have you considered the federal grad PLUS loan? It usually covers up the cost of attendance, which will allow funds for rent, books, transportation...etc.

@eggsan @ZAMBAA Hey guys, have you considered the federal grad PLUS loan? It usually covers up the cost of attendance, which will allow funds for rent, books, transportation...etc.

Yes! I'm actually looking into that. It's still pricey regardless, and the interest rate is usually a bit higher on the PLUS loan. I'm leaning heavily toward that since it feels a bit safer for me.

I agree- I'm in the process of filling out my FAFSA so I know that I'll at least have that avenue. But likely the rest of the program is going to have to be paid for by private loans and that can definitely feel daunting. :(

Same! It's definitely a lot. Just seeing the number makes me nervous haha

Hi,
To anyone that's applied or has experience with the application process: I applied and completed my application on March 13, 2020 and I wanted to know if anyone can give me an idea of how long it usually takes the program to notify you on their decision ?

Hi,
To anyone that's applied or has experience with the application process: I applied and completed my application on March 13, 2020 and I wanted to know if anyone can give me an idea of how long it usually takes the program to notify you on their decision ?
Hey, so I was complete at the end of January and I'm still waiting for a decision. There were other people who were complete and heard back in 3 days. On average, it seems like 2-3 weeks for a decision. I assume with everything transitioning to working from home due to the virus there will be some delays for the next few weeks. Hopefully you will hear back soon! Let us know if you do.

Hi,
Submitted 3/6, Accepted 3/17

Hi,
hey, i submitted on 2/17 and was accepted on 3/23. good luck!

Hi,

I applied 2/13 and was accepted 2/24! Good luck!

I just got my email today saying my application was complete! I'm so nervous! Hoping I hear back soon. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Applied 2/23 and accepted 3/20.

Good luck everyone and congratulations!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone applied in December and haven't received (or has received) any news yet? Nervous about my application especially with the current pandemic crisis we are in right now. I emailed Ying-Ju a little over a week ago and have yet gotten a response.

Anyone applied in December and haven't received (or has received) any news yet? Nervous about my application especially with the current pandemic crisis we are in right now. I emailed Ying-Ju a little over a week ago and have yet gotten a response.
I applied in January and haven't heard back yet. I spoke with Devin (admissions counselor for MAMS) and was told that my application was complete and that they are still reviewing applications and have not yet made a decision. I assumed there would be somewhat of a delay due to the virus, but I know of 2 people who got in this past week who applied in feb/march. I guess it's just a waiting game. I'll cross my fingers for you and let us know if you hear back.