Boston University MAMS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone link the fb housing group? Can’t seem to find it :(

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone link the fb housing group? Can’t seem to find it :(
It’s called BU GMS/MAMS 2020. They still haven’t added anyone though, so don’t worry too much! I’m starting to get nervous about looking for housing and am wondering how this pandemic is going to affect the program, if at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
To anyone that's applied or has experience with the application process: I applied and completed my application on March 13, 2020 and I wanted to know if anyone can give me an idea of how long it usually takes the program to notify you on their decision ?
Applied: 2/19
Accepted: 2/24

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know If you do this program and get accepted to BU SOM do you still have to retake the 1st year of classes?

Has anyone talked to the admissions counselor recently? I was just wondering what decision timeline is looking like in the midst of this pandemic. I hope everyone is doing well and healthy!

Does anyone know If you do this program and get accepted to BU SOM do you still have to retake the 1st year of classes?
I believe you do have to retake the classes. I’m pretty sure I saw the BU MAMS account say something along those lines in last year’s thread.

Hey y’all can any MAMS alum speak more to their experience and the linkage to BU SOM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Hey y’all can any MAMS alum speak more to their experience and the linkage to BU SOM?

Curious to hear more on this as well - especially for those in the 1 yr program? Does BUSOM consider your MAMS grades (i.e. in December after Fall semester) if you are in the 1 year program?

Curious to hear more on this as well - especially for those in the 1 yr program? Does BUSOM consider your MAMS grades (i.e. in December after Fall semester) if you are in the 1 year program?

Really would love to know this as well! Have you contacted admissions about how coronavirus will affect the fall semester? I was accepted a couple weeks back and I still have so many questions

Hey y'all, I applied very end of March and received an acceptance last week; I'm having trouble deciding between BU, Loyola MAMS, Tufts, and GTown, all of which I've been accepted to. I saw that BU is a first choice for some, could y'all explain your preference for BU?

Stats:
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA 3.1
GRE (no MCAT): QR: 159 VR: 162, 5.5 AWA
Not sure how many clinical and volunteer hours but it's a good amount, safe to say 1000+
Several leadership ECs

Hello! Does anyone know if there is going to be any changes in the fall because of COVID19?

Hello! Does anyone know if there is going to be any changes in the fall because of COVID19?

I don’t think any school can predict that yet, seeing as the news surrounding the spread of COVID changes almost hourly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I recently applied to MAMS and I’m only waiting on my LORs to be submitted from my letter writers. It has been a few weeks now and I read on BU’s website that it’s okay to just submit letters from your medical school application to this program. I am considering doing this instead of waiting for my letter writers to submit a new letter (these are the same people who wrote me letters for medical school). Do you think it would be more in my favor to just wait it out for the new letters to be submitted, or should I go ahead and use my med school letters to speed up my complete application? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Considering applying, do I have a chance of getting in with a 505, 3.1 cGPA, and 3.2 sGPA including a 4.0 for my last 23 hours of advanced science?

Last edited:
Considering applying, do I have a chance of getting in with a 505, 3.1 cGPA, and 3.2 sGPA including a 4.0 for my last 23 hours of advanced science?

Very! I have similar stats and got an acceptance not too long ago. You’d be a great applicant! I’d try to submit as soon as you can though since they do rolling admissions

Very! I have similar stats and got an acceptance not too long ago. You’d be a great applicant! I’d try to submit as soon as you can though since they do rolling admissions

Thanks, the program seems great so I’ll apply ASAP!

Hey everyone, I completed my application on March 23, 2020 and was just told today (April 27) that they put my application on hold, and I just sent them my updated transcripts. Did anyone have a similar experience getting put on hold and if so what did you do?

Hi, I see a lot of people are asking questions about alum experiences with the program. I am a current MAMS student and hope this is helpful:
I love the program. I have learned how to be a better studier, test taker, and overall student. It is VERY academically rigorous, but also very rewarding if you put in the work and time. I think if you are looking for a way to improve yourself as a student and improve your application to prove to adcoms that you can excel in an academically challenging environment/make up for a less than desirable undergraduate GPA, then I would definitely say this is a great program for you. On the other hand, if you are not willing to put in the hours and effort, then I would not suggest the program for you. It is a big investment and not doing well in the program could harm you more than if you weren't to enroll at all.

Linkage: There is no official linkage between the medical school. However, the medical school is very familiar with the program and many students in the past have been successful getting acceptance into BUSOM (I think about ~27 MAMS alumni were accepted into the fall 2019 cohort). That being said, I do believe that doing well in the program does make a big statement to the BUSOM adcoms.

Feel free to ask me any specific questions you might have!

Hi, I see a lot of people are asking questions about alum experiences with the program. I am a current MAMS student and hope this is helpful:
I love the program. I have learned how to be a better studier, test taker, and overall student. It is VERY academically rigorous, but also very rewarding if you put in the work and time. I think if you are looking for a way to improve yourself as a student and improve your application to prove to adcoms that you can excel in an academically challenging environment/make up for a less than desirable undergraduate GPA, then I would definitely say this is a great program for you. On the other hand, if you are not willing to put in the hours and effort, then I would not suggest the program for you. It is a big investment and not doing well in the program could harm you more than if you weren't to enroll at all.

Linkage: There is no official linkage between the medical school. However, the medical school is very familiar with the program and many students in the past have been successful getting acceptance into BUSOM (I think about ~27 MAMS alumni were accepted into the fall 2019 cohort). That being said, I do believe that doing well in the program does make a big statement to the BUSOM adcoms.

Thank you for answering our questions! Are u in the 1 or 2 year program?

Thank you for answering our questions! Are u in the 1 or 2 year program?

I am doing the 2 year track. However, both 1 year and 2 year students are all in the same classes at the same time. The differentiating factor is when you write your thesis (within that summer after the year of courses for the 1 years or within the year following the year of classes for the 2 year students). Students who apply the summer before the program begins are usually the majority of the students who do the 1 year track since ideally they'd be starting medical school the fall after classes end. Students who do the 2 year track usually spend their second year doing their research for their thesis alongside other activities that vary based on what your research commitment permits.

I am doing the 2 year track. However, both 1 year and 2 year students are all in the same classes at the same time. The differentiating factor is when you write your thesis (within that summer after the year of courses for the 1 years or within the year following the year of classes for the 2 year students). Students who apply the summer before the program begins are usually the majority of the students who do the 1 year track since ideally they'd be starting medical school the fall after classes end. Students who do the 2 year track usually spend their second year doing their research for their thesis alongside other activities that vary based on what your research commitment permits.

Thank you for providing more information and answering. How is the fall semester now at BU? Will there be one? Also how has the transition from in person classes to remote learning been?

Thank you for providing more information and answering. How is the fall semester now at BU? Will there be one? Also how has the transition from in person classes to remote learning been?

The school is currently in the process of making decisions/plans for the fall and nothing concrete has been announced about MAMS that I know of at this time.

However, I can tell you about our transition. For the most part, I think the professors transitioned quite smoothly. All of our classes were switched to being held remotely around the middle of March. Everyone has been making themselves readily available to answer any questions or concerns students may have with regular Zoom meetings. Lectures are either through live Zoom lectures or of previous recordings. All of our tests are at home proctored through a software, and overall everyone has been quite accommodating. That being said, the courses are still rigorous and all classes are still taken for a letter grade. Since this was done in the middle of the semester, I'm not sure how things would be changed or adapted if the semester were to start out as being online. As someone who is not the best at focusing at home, it has taken a lot of self-discipline to stay focused and continue putting in a majority of my day to studying, but I guess we'll see how it all turns out with our last round of exams around the corner.

Are there any reading materials you'd recommend to go through before starting MAMS? I've heard of the expression that learning the content is like drinking from a fire hydrant, but I'd still like to prepare what I can.
-Thank you

The school is currently in the process of making decisions/plans for the fall and nothing concrete has been announced about MAMS that I know of at this time.

However, I can tell you about our transition. For the most part, I think the professors transitioned quite smoothly. All of our classes were switched to being held remotely around the middle of March. Everyone has been making themselves readily available to answer any questions or concerns students may have with regular Zoom meetings. Lectures are either through live Zoom lectures or of previous recordings. All of our tests are at home proctored through a software, and overall everyone has been quite accommodating. That being said, the courses are still rigorous and all classes are still taken for a letter grade. Since this was done in the middle of the semester, I'm not sure how things would be changed or adapted if the semester were to start out as being online. As someone who is not the best at focusing at home, it has taken a lot of self-discipline to stay focused and continue putting in a majority of my day to studying, but I guess we'll see how it all turns out with our last round of exams around the corner.

Awesome! Sounds like you’ve got the passion and been accommodating. With the switch to remote learning has BU offered any type of change to the tuition? I ask because I know some schools are addressing this issue that students are paying the same tuition rates while they are currently at home. Also are there any tips on how to efficiently study or any techniques that you used that made it easier to learn the information?

Are there any reading materials you'd recommend to go through before starting MAMS? I've heard of the expression that learning the content is like drinking from a fire hydrant, but I'd still like to prepare what I can.
-Thank you

Honestly, I would just enjoy your summer! There is a lot of information that will be taught, but if you stay caught up in the courses it is very doable. There isn't any reading material that I know of that they recommended to read beforehand...I think the best advice I can give you is start out with everything you have and really fine tune your studying habits to optimize your studying time. It is a lot easier to cut down your study habits because they are getting the results you want than trying to work your way up to several hours of studying in the middle of the semester.

Awesome! Sounds like you’ve got the passion and been accommodating. With the switch to remote learning has BU offered any type of change to the tuition? I ask because I know some schools are addressing this issue that students are paying the same tuition rates while they are currently at home. Also are there any tips on how to efficiently study or any techniques that you used that made it easier to learn the information?

I'm not aware of any tuition changes, but I don't think it would be unfair to guess that if they were to go full remote next year that the rates would change.

As for studying, I think what has benefited me the most is pre-reading for lectures (ie looking at the slides/syllabus beforehand and really trying to digest the concepts) and then going into lecture with questions in mind that allows you to follow the lecture actively. I don't know about you, but during undergrad I did not take advantage of my lectures. I would go in, passively write notes, go on social media, and message my friends, but I was there so I thought that's all I really needed until the exam came up and I had to teach the material to myself all over again. In MAMS, I took advantage of lectures as being my second exposure to the material making my study time much more efficient. If you're sitting in a 1.5/2 hour lecture you might as well take advantage of the time! That being said, I know several people who do not benefit from sitting in live lectures simply because that isn't how they best learn. So, my next biggest study tip is study efficiently. Find what works for you, and be honest with yourself. If you like Anki and massive amounts of flash cards, that's great, do that! If you're more like myself and benefit most from writing out notes, write all the notes you desire and use up dozens of Muji pens while you're at it! Find a good rhythm of how you want to use whatever technique you choose to your advantage, and make sure you are doing it intentionally and not just going through the steps to get done. This isn't for everyone, but my way of going over each lecture is to go through material 4x (this isn't in one sitting, rather throughout the weeks with other lectures staggered in): 1. preread lecture (usually the night before), 2. lecture with active listening and note taking, 3. detailed notes outside of class on the material, and 4. a final review, and by that time I am pretty well versed and ready for the exam.

I submitted a complete application back in early March and am still waiting for a response (they said my application is currently on hold). From anyone's experience is this good/bad/indifferent? They said to check back within 4-6 weeks if I still haven't heard but I'd like to know sooner rather than later if I was accepted or rejected so I can accept other offers.

I spoke to someone in the office because I hadn't heard anything in almost a month since I was marked complete. I'm guessing they're having a lot of backlog with COVID and the person I spoke with said they're hoping to get more decisions out over the next two weeks. I really hope to hear back by then because trying to plan my fall around this uncertainty and COVID has been less than ideal.

I saw on the graduate studies page they're moving to let students have the option to do remote learning or come to campus in the fall. I don't think they've decided whether or not they're going to do it for every program yet, but it appears they're actively trying to sort out the problem.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

I spoke to someone in the office because I hadn't heard anything in almost a month since I was marked complete. I'm guessing they're having a lot of backlog with COVID and the person I spoke with said they're hoping to get more decisions out over the next two weeks. I really hope to hear back by then because trying to plan my fall around this uncertainty and COVID has been less than ideal.

I saw on the graduate studies page they're moving to let students have the option to do remote learning or come to campus in the fall. I don't think they've decided whether or not they're going to do it for every program yet, but it appears they're actively trying to sort out the problem.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Hey where do you see this information about the options for remote or in person learning?

Hey where do you see this information about the options for remote or in person learning?

I was able to find it under the BU graduate education covid 19 FAQs here

should be the first or second question

Applied 4/15, accepted 4/30

Also got into Case MSMP, anyone have any insight on which to pick?

Yay, that's great! Do you know when you were marked complete, and did you receive an email of acceptance?

Yay, that's great! Do you know when you were marked complete, and did you receive an email of acceptance?

Thanks! From what I see it was marked complete on the 22nd, and then I got my email this morning

I was able to find it under the BU graduate education covid 19 FAQs here

should be the first or second question
MAMS isn’t included on that list as of right now. They’ve been sending us emails saying they intend to have us on campus but haven’t relayed any information about being able to choose a hybrid option. Just FYI! :)

Ahh okay! Congrats! If you don't mind, could you share your stats?

Ending my undergrad soon with hopefully a 3.37 cGPA. I haven't really calculated my sGPA but it's around 3.0-3.2 with an upward trend. I have an abysmal 504 mcat that I tanked this past summer so I have to get it right this next run. My LORs were from my 2 PIs and the doctor I volunteer for.

ECs :
4 yrs Collegiate Rowing
~2 years working in wet lab for cancer bio
~2 years environmental research
- Hospital/Clinic volunteering during my breaks for the past 5-6 years

Ending my undergrad soon with hopefully a 3.37 cGPA. I haven't really calculated my sGPA but it's around 3.0-3.2 with an upward trend. I have an abysmal 504 mcat that I tanked this past summer so I have to get it right this next run. My LORs were from my 2 PIs and the doctor I volunteer for.

ECs :
4 yrs Collegiate Rowing
~2 years working in wet lab for cancer bio
~2 years environmental research
- Hospital/Clinic volunteering during my breaks for the past 5-6 years

That's great! I am still waiting for results. Right now, my cgpa is at 3.28 and I am not sure about my sgpa but not the greatest. I have not taken the mcat yet since it got canceled and all. I sent in 4 LORs, 1 research, 1 professor, 1 advisor, and 1 work.

My ec's:
I have volunteered at hospitals for five years which I count as clinical because it included a lot of contact with patients
volunteered with a child abuse center via my sorority
did a mission trip to help children in Morocco
did mission trip to help a Syrian refugee
I have done 3 years worth of research in two different mice labs
Held three jobs, one of them being a TA ( at an undergrad level so a LA)
Did study abroad I don't know if that counts.
Was in theatre production for a semester
In some clubs including horse riding club.
I used to be Vice- president of a pre-med club

What I am worried about is my low gpa as well as the fact that I didn't take the MCAT, can you or someone chance me??

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm still waiting on BU and have been completed since late December....been on hold since and its making my really anxious.

But I also got accepted into Case MSMP! As well as Rutger's Medical Scholars. If anyone has insight on either one of these programs, please let me know.

That's great! I am still waiting for results. Right now, my cgpa is at 3.28 and I am not sure about my sgpa but not the greatest. I have not taken the mcat yet since it got canceled and all. I sent in 4 LORs, 1 research, 1 professor, 1 advisor, and 1 work.

My ec's:
I have volunteered at hospitals for five years which I count as clinical because it included a lot of contact with patients
volunteered with a child abuse center via my sorority
did a mission trip to help children in Morocco
did mission trip to help a Syrian refugee
I have done 3 years worth of research in two different mice labs
Held three jobs, one of them being a TA ( at an undergrad level so a LA)
Did study abroad I don't know if that counts.
Was in theatre production for a semester
In some clubs including horse riding club.
I used to be Vice- president of a pre-med club

What I am worried about is my low gpa as well as the fact that I didn't take the MCAT, can you or someone chance me??

From what I see on how the MAMS program does admissions, I think that your grades are definitely in the ballpark of being a competitive applicant per their site. I wouldn't worry about the MCAT given the current situation either, and a lot of programs have taken it into account. Your EC's cover a really wide range of both interest in medicine as well as outreach, and reviewers will definitely care more about how experiences have shaped their applicants rather than their grades. My 2 cents here is to not worry about your GPA going in, because there are many people like myself who apply to these programs to improve on it. Your ECs alone make you a strong applicant because they can see your motivation to serve through medicine and they will definitely take your application seriously because they know someone like you will take advantage of everything their program has to offer :)

I just got accepted to BU MAMS program. I have several questions for the current BU MAMS student or alum:
  • Does the program provide letters of recommendation after completing the program? (committee letter or individual letters?)
  • Is it easy to get to know the professors? I know that this program has about 170-180 students(please correct me if I am wrong).
  • Was this program helpful when you retook your MCAT? Is there any formal MCAT course weaved into the program?
  • How do you study for each course while in the program? What worked for you and what did not?
  • What's the requirement to get an interview with BUSOM after the program, such as GPA threshold or MCAT threshold, or a combination of both?
    • I know that CWRU MSMP program will guarantee an interview with CWRU medical school if an applicant's undergraduate GPA>3.4, graduate GPA>3.5, and MCAT score >90 percentile.
    • Does BU MAMS have similar agreement?
Thank you so much in advance!!

Reactions: 2 users
I just got accepted to BU MAMS program. I have several questions for the current BU MAMS student or alum:
  • Does the program provide letters of recommendation after completing the program? (committee letter or individual letters?)
  • Is it easy to get to know the professors? I know that this program has about 170-180 students(please correct me if I am wrong).
  • Was this program helpful when you retook your MCAT? Is there any formal MCAT course weaved into the program?
  • How do you study for each course while in the program? What worked for you and what did not?
  • What's the requirement to get an interview with BUSOM after the program, such as GPA threshold or MCAT threshold, or a combination of both?
    • I know that CWRU MSMP program will guarantee an interview with CWRU medical school if an applicant's undergraduate GPA>3.4, graduate GPA>3.5, and MCAT score >90 percentile.
Congrats!!!!! When did you apply/were completed and when were you accepted?

Accepted today!

Hey! Thanks so much for answering questions. I was just accepted this week- would I be able to PM you for a bit of advice on my current timeline plans and what your thoughts are, as a current student in the program? Would really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

Definitely can't answer all of these questions as I'm a new student in the fall, but I discussed some of your questions with Dr. Offner (program director) last year when I visited campus.

If I'm not mistaken, I do think she said they write committee letters. I've also heard that it's super tight-knit and that those who go to class on a regular basis have good opportunities to get to know the faculty. They offer MCAT classes (3 subjects--physics and I don't remember what else). These aren't included in tuition.

As far as BUSM goes, I don't believe there is a "threshold." Instead, from what I've seen/heard/been told, MAMS students are only compared to other MAMS students for admission to BUSM. So, if the entire class of 180 applies, they will not compare us to the thousands of other applicants--only against one another, which obviously increases your chances by a lot.

I hope this helps! If things have changed since I got this information, apologies in advance! This seems to be pretty consistent though, judging based off of previous years' threads.

Did you guys receive an email or is there a portal to check your status? I was marked complete 4/23 and yet nothing.

Hey guys! I've been lurking on this post for a while now but wanted to say I got accepted today! I submitted my application on 4/12 and it was marked completed on 4/17. I still have to hear back from other schools but will most likely be accepting this offer so I look forward to meeting some of you in the fall :)
oh also I found out the decision by email but it's also on the portal

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, does anyone know when the general start date would be for the program? As well as if anyone in the Boston area knows if it would be suggested to bring our car or is traveling efficient in the area?

Hey, does anyone know when the general start date would be for the program? As well as if anyone in the Boston area knows if it would be suggested to bring our car or is traveling efficient in the area?
We start classes on September 2nd (Wednesday) and orientation is August 31st (Monday)! Most people say you don't need a car, as transit is pretty reliable and most things are walkable!

Does anyone have any idea of when I could be hearing back? I was marked complete in late March and have heard nothing :( this program is my #1! Does anyone know who I can contact to see the status of my application?