You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Boston University MAMS 2021-2022
Started by Boston University MAMS
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
unclecarrot
New Member
Is there anyone I can can directly contact to discuss my stats and chances of being accepted into the program?
Could we get more specifics on how MAMS students are considered separately for admission to BU med? (what gpa typical accepted students get in MAMS, how many students get interviews/accepted, etc)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Absolutely!! Please reach out to Devin, our admissions counselor, at [email protected]. He'll be able to discuss your application with you.Is there anyone I can can directly contact to discuss my stats and chances of being accepted into the program?
Great question. BU MAMS students are considered for admission and reviewed in a separate pool from the other applicants, and every year, approximately 25-30 are accepted to the class! I think the GPA of accepted students varies depending on the student and what other elements are in their complete medical school application.Could we get more specifics on how MAMS students are considered separately for admission to BU med? (what gpa typical accepted students get in MAMS, how many students get interviews/accepted, etc)
More broadly beyond BUSM, ~85% of MAMS students with an overall GPA of 3.5 or better get into medical school.
Hello everyone!
I am a reapplicant to the program. I applied in February 2020 and was accepted in March 2020, but decided not to attend for personal reasons and family issues at that time. I hope that I earn acceptance again!
Note: I was accepted last year without test scores and with cGPA: 3.196 and sGPA: 2.8. I hope that gives encouragement to anyone who needs it! You can do this!
Application:
Submitted: 01/13/2020
Complete/Forwarded: 01/19/2020
Current stats:
cGPA: 3.28
sGPA: 3.10
MCAT: none at this time
Wishing everyone the best and please stay safe!
I am a reapplicant to the program. I applied in February 2020 and was accepted in March 2020, but decided not to attend for personal reasons and family issues at that time. I hope that I earn acceptance again!
Note: I was accepted last year without test scores and with cGPA: 3.196 and sGPA: 2.8. I hope that gives encouragement to anyone who needs it! You can do this!
Application:
Submitted: 01/13/2020
Complete/Forwarded: 01/19/2020
Current stats:
cGPA: 3.28
sGPA: 3.10
MCAT: none at this time
Wishing everyone the best and please stay safe!
I think admissions came out today, just recieved my acceptance
Congratulations!!!I think admissions came out today, just recieved my acceptance
Do you know what date your application was marked complete?
January 6th, 2020Congratulations!!!
Do you know what date your application was marked complete?
Congrats!! Did you apply with a test score?January 6th, 2020
hello everyone!
I just got accepted to the program as well (marked as submitted Jan 19th). I have also gotten acceptances to Tufts MBS and Georgetown SMP and am having a really hard time deciding.
I am a non-trad and I'll be 26 at the start of the program, with a few years of research experience. In a perfect world I would love to start medical school Fall of 2022, and was wondering if the BU program is doable in a year, and how many of their students are accepted into medical school during the program. Are the advisors/professors supportive of 1 year completion?
Any and all input is appreciated!
I just got accepted to the program as well (marked as submitted Jan 19th). I have also gotten acceptances to Tufts MBS and Georgetown SMP and am having a really hard time deciding.
I am a non-trad and I'll be 26 at the start of the program, with a few years of research experience. In a perfect world I would love to start medical school Fall of 2022, and was wondering if the BU program is doable in a year, and how many of their students are accepted into medical school during the program. Are the advisors/professors supportive of 1 year completion?
Any and all input is appreciated!
Yes, I applied with GRE Quant: 164 (87%) and Verbal: 163 (92%)Congrats!! Did you apply with a test score?
Last edited:
i got into those programs aswell!hello everyone!
I just got accepted to the program as well (marked as submitted Jan 19th). I have also gotten acceptances to Tufts MBS and Georgetown SMP and am having a really hard time deciding.
I am a non-trad and I'll be 26 at the start of the program, with a few years of research experience. In a perfect world I would love to start medical school Fall of 2022, and was wondering if the BU program is doable in a year, and how many of their students are accepted into medical school during the program. Are the advisors/professors supportive of 1 year completion?
Any and all input is appreciated!
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!! We are so excited to welcome you to the BU MAMS family!!hello everyone!
I just got accepted to the program as well (marked as submitted Jan 19th). I have also gotten acceptances to Tufts MBS and Georgetown SMP and am having a really hard time deciding.
I am a non-trad and I'll be 26 at the start of the program, with a few years of research experience. In a perfect world I would love to start medical school Fall of 2022, and was wondering if the BU program is doable in a year, and how many of their students are accepted into medical school during the program. Are the advisors/professors supportive of 1 year completion?
Any and all input is appreciated!
You can either complete the MAMS program in one year or two years. You do not need to decide which track you take until after you start the program and discuss your situation with Dr. Offner. The 1 year track is only really recommended for students who already have a fairly strong medical school application (i.e. MCAT, extracurriculars) and just need a little extra boost from MAMS. The remainder of students choose the 2 year track and apply after the first year of the program. Regardless of which track you choose, everyone takes the same coursework over two semesters, and the cost of tuition is the same. You only pay tuition for the first year and the second year is more of a formality for loan repayment purposes (you do not have to start repaying your loans if listed as a full time student). More detail on how the one- and two-year tracks work:
- One year program: Students take this track when they are planning to matriculate to medical school the following fall. You will take coursework over the fall and spring semesters, and then complete a literature thesis over the summer, before you begin your medical school journey.
- Two year program: Most students take this track. You will take coursework over the fall and spring semesters of your first year, and then apply to medical school the summer after you finish your coursework. That year, as you apply, you could work in a lab and complete a literature or research thesis, complete a MPH as part of a dual degree program with BUSPH, work as a clinical research coordinator or scribe, volunteer at BMC or other organizations, etc. Tons of opportunities here!
Finally, there are many non-traditional students who choose MAMS, and we would be more than happy to discuss our experiences with you! If you fill out this contact form, you'll be able to request a meeting with a current student. We would love to talk about our time at MAMS and hopefully help you as you make your decision!
Last edited:
Admission decisions are made holistically and on a rolling basis! Decisions will also continue to go out for the next several months, from now until August.I was complete in Nov 🙁 Why still no response?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If we opt for the two-year program and plan to complete a MPH, do we still pay for the first year only? Or are there extra costs associated with the MPH?First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!! We are so excited to welcome you to the BU MAMS family!!
You can either complete the MAMS program in one year or two years. You do not need to decide which track you take until after you start the program and discuss your situation with Dr. Offner. The 1 year track is only really recommended for students who already have a fairly strong medical school application (i.e. MCAT, extracurriculars) and just need a little extra boost from MAMS. The remainder of students choose the 2 year track and apply after the first year of the program. Regardless of which track you choose, everyone takes the same coursework over two semesters, and the cost of tuition is the same. You only pay tuition for the first year and the second year is more of a formality for loan repayment purposes (you do not have to start repaying your loans if listed as a full time student). More detail on how the one- and two-year tracks work:
So yes, if you are accepted and will matriculate to medical school the following fall, MAMS will absolutely be supportive of you completing the program in a year. And you have plenty of time to decide (and discuss with your advisor and Dr. Offner) as you figure out plans!
- One year program: Students take this track when they are planning to matriculate to medical school the following fall. You will take coursework over the fall and spring semesters, and then complete a literature thesis over the summer, before you begin your medical school journey.
- Two year program: Most students take this track. You will take coursework over the fall and spring semesters of your first year, and then apply to medical school the summer after you finish your coursework. That year, as you apply, you could work in a lab and complete a literature or research thesis, complete a MPH as part of a dual degree program with BUSPH, work as a clinical research coordinator or scribe, volunteer at BMC or other organizations, etc. Tons of opportunities here!
Finally, there are many non-traditional students who choose MAMS, and we would be more than happy to discuss our experiences with you! If you fill out this contact form, you'll be able to request a meeting with a current student. We would love to talk about our time at MAMS and hopefully help you as you make your decision!
If you choose to also complete the MPH, there would be additional tuition for that degree.If we opt for the two-year program and plan to complete a MPH, do we still pay for the first year only? Or are there extra costs associated with the MPH?
I also wanted to note that you do NOT have to apply in to do the dual degree, when you first apply to MAMS! Once you matriculate to MAMS, you have a lot of time (until early in the spring semester) to consider your options and decide on your plans for the next year.
CCTA_premed
New Member
Hi everyone! I was accepted today, and am really excited for this graduate opportunity. Looking forward to connecting with you all and gaining more insight into the program.
Congratulations!!! Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions - we're thrilled to have you!Hi everyone! I was accepted today, and am really excited for this graduate opportunity. Looking forward to connecting with you all and gaining more insight into the program.
anonymous12345678900
New Member
@bumams, Hi! I applied last year and am reapplying this year. I got in touch and emailed asking to transfer my documents/letters of recommendation from last year's application. It's been over a week now, and I want to submit this application as soon as possible. When should I expect a reply back?
Thank you!
Thank you!
medhopefullz
Full Member
Dear MAMS-@bumams,
I understand that 25-30 people are accepted every year. There are a few questions I had with the breakdown of the applicants getting accepted. Have the accepted people (25-30) taken gap years before submitting an application? or is that the number accepted who have applied concurrently while in the program?
Given that the program accepts ~180 students every year, 25-30 students would not seem much when re-applicants (MAMS alumni) to the BU SOM are factored in?
For instance, Georgetown SMP Director spoke that 25-30 are accepted every year but the requirement is that you apply to their medical school during the program. That way, we are competing realistically within a small applicant pool. The draw back here is that - one won't get this special consideration should they receive a rejection and decide to apply again to Georgetown SOM. Does that make sense?
Thanks you!
Anon-Applicant
I understand that 25-30 people are accepted every year. There are a few questions I had with the breakdown of the applicants getting accepted. Have the accepted people (25-30) taken gap years before submitting an application? or is that the number accepted who have applied concurrently while in the program?
Given that the program accepts ~180 students every year, 25-30 students would not seem much when re-applicants (MAMS alumni) to the BU SOM are factored in?
For instance, Georgetown SMP Director spoke that 25-30 are accepted every year but the requirement is that you apply to their medical school during the program. That way, we are competing realistically within a small applicant pool. The draw back here is that - one won't get this special consideration should they receive a rejection and decide to apply again to Georgetown SOM. Does that make sense?
Thanks you!
Anon-Applicant
i think the 25-30 that are accepted to BUSM includes MAMS alumni, including students that applied to med school concurrently while in the programDear MAMS-@bumams,
I understand that 25-30 people are accepted every year. There are a few questions I had with the breakdown of the applicants getting accepted. Have the accepted people (25-30) taken gap years before submitting an application? or is that the number accepted who have applied concurrently while in the program?
Given that the program accepts ~180 students every year, 25-30 students would not seem much when re-applicants (MAMS alumni) to the BU SOM are factored in?
For instance, Georgetown SMP Director spoke that 25-30 are accepted every year but the requirement is that you apply to their medical school during the program. That way, we are competing realistically within a small applicant pool. The draw back here is that - one won't get this special consideration should they receive a rejection and decide to apply again to Georgetown SOM. Does that make sense?
Thanks you!
Anon-Applicant
Hi! I was also just wondering if the applications are seen on a rolling basis - are they reviewed in the order that they were submitted? I also applied in November and just wanted to know around when I'd hear back! Thank you!
Hi @Boston University MAMS or anyone else with insight!
I finished my application over a week ago, but I have been unable to submit it. Is this because my letters from Interfolio have not been added yet? Interfolio has them marked as delivered and I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I appreciate the help!
I finished my application over a week ago, but I have been unable to submit it. Is this because my letters from Interfolio have not been added yet? Interfolio has them marked as delivered and I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I appreciate the help!
I believe they send you a confirmation email once they upload your Interfolio letters to your application. Then, you can go ahead and submit.Hi @Boston University MAMS or anyone else with insight!
I finished my application over a week ago, but I have been unable to submit it. Is this because my letters from Interfolio have not been added yet? Interfolio has them marked as delivered and I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I appreciate the help!
@Boston University MAMS I applied in November and was just wondering if there was a specific day of the week or around when new decisions would come out. Thank you!
Hi! I'm so sorry for the delayed reply. If you still haven't heard back about your materials, I would recommend reaching out to [email protected].@bumams, Hi! I applied last year and am reapplying this year. I got in touch and emailed asking to transfer my documents/letters of recommendation from last year's application. It's been over a week now, and I want to submit this application as soon as possible. When should I expect a reply back?
Thank you!
Hello! Every year, about 25-30 members of the incoming BUSM class are former MAMS students. Unfortunately I do not have more detailed statistics on admissions data (this account is run by a student representative).Dear MAMS-@bumams,
I understand that 25-30 people are accepted every year. There are a few questions I had with the breakdown of the applicants getting accepted. Have the accepted people (25-30) taken gap years before submitting an application? or is that the number accepted who have applied concurrently while in the program?
Given that the program accepts ~180 students every year, 25-30 students would not seem much when re-applicants (MAMS alumni) to the BU SOM are factored in?
For instance, Georgetown SMP Director spoke that 25-30 are accepted every year but the requirement is that you apply to their medical school during the program. That way, we are competing realistically within a small applicant pool. The draw back here is that - one won't get this special consideration should they receive a rejection and decide to apply again to Georgetown SOM. Does that make sense?
Thanks you!
Anon-Applicant
Generally, although some students apply concurrently, most wait until they finish their coursework/after the first year of the program. However, Dr. Offner and the program advisors work with individual students to find the right time to apply for them, and depending on the student and what they want to do, that timing may be different.
I can't speak to the Georgetown SMP, as I only attended MAMS, but I will say I am very glad I chose and completed the MAMS program. If you're weighing different programs and would want to talk to a current MAMS student to discuss their experience, you can fill out this form to be matched with one!
Applications go through an in-depth holistic review process, and decisions are sent on a rolling basis for the next several months. This means that decisions are not always sent in order of submission date. However, the admissions team is actively working through app review and we hope to get back to you as soon as possible!Hi! I was also just wondering if the applications are seen on a rolling basis - are they reviewed in the order that they were submitted? I also applied in November and just wanted to know around when I'd hear back! Thank you!
I'm so so sorry you've been having issues submitting! If you're still running into technical problems, please email [email protected].Hi @Boston University MAMS or anyone else with insight!
I finished my application over a week ago, but I have been unable to submit it. Is this because my letters from Interfolio have not been added yet? Interfolio has them marked as delivered and I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I appreciate the help!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
medhopefullz
Full Member
@BUMAMS and @lebronsonk thank you so much!
Thank you so much! Also, were you able to ever figure out your Interfolio question? Was your application updated/able to submit after they received a confirmation from Interfolio or did you just end up filling the recommender form on the application portal with your own information and indicating you sent them via Interfolio?My letters were the same ones I used for medical school and I do believe their website said that was appropriate.
You’ll have to submit a request through their platform! I never received an official email saying my letters were received through Interfolio, but did receive a complete/under review email a few days after submission so assume it worked out 🙂Thank you so much! Also, were you able to ever figure out your Interfolio question? Was your application updated/able to submit after they received a confirmation from Interfolio or did you just end up filling the recommender form on the application portal with your own information and indicating you sent them via Interfolio?
is there a group chat for admitted students, or a facebook group?
Got my acceptance today!
Just received my acceptance today!
App submitted: 01/14/2021
App Marked Complete: 01/19/2021
Acceptance Notification: 02/22/2021
Congrats to everyone and I’m looking forward to meeting you all! Stay safe!
App submitted: 01/14/2021
App Marked Complete: 01/19/2021
Acceptance Notification: 02/22/2021
Congrats to everyone and I’m looking forward to meeting you all! Stay safe!
I also got accepted yesterday!! Application was submitted on 11/24. @Boston University MAMS I was trying to find information on tuition and a lot of the links brought me to dead ends. Where can I find tuition information? Also, what opportunities are there for funding?
Congratulations! Do you know when your application was marked complete? Mine was marked complete on 01/07/21 and I am waiting to hear back.I also got accepted yesterday!! Application was submitted on 11/24. @Boston University MAMS I was trying to find information on tuition and a lot of the links brought me to dead ends. Where can I find tuition information? Also, what opportunities are there for funding?
You are looking at $56,854 of Tuition and $756 of Fees, plus Health Insurance:I also got accepted yesterday!! Application was submitted on 11/24. @Boston University MAMS I was trying to find information on tuition and a lot of the links brought me to dead ends. Where can I find tuition information? Also, what opportunities are there for funding?
Unless you are paying out of pocket or having scholarships lined up, they are all gonna go on student loans.
@Boston University MAMS Any other funding opportunities?
Last edited:
Did you submit MCAT/GRE scores?I also got accepted yesterday!! Application was submitted on 11/24. @Boston University MAMS I was trying to find information on tuition and a lot of the links brought me to dead ends. Where can I find tuition information? Also, what opportunities are there for funding?
Thank you!! I just checked and actually, my application was complete on 11/24. I don't think they are necessarily looking at them in a specific order so I'm sure you'll find out soon!Congratulations! Do you know when your application was marked complete? Mine was marked complete on 01/07/21 and I am waiting to hear back.
Thank you for the tuition info! I applied with GRE scores (88 percentile verbal, 75 percentile quant - 161 for both).Did you submit MCAT/GRE scores?
Hi everyone and @Boston University MAMS,
I'm retaking the mcat in april, and my previous score isn't high enough for the program. can I (or should I) apply now without my retake? The website says applications are assessed holistically without an MCAT, so is it possible for me to apply now AND get an acceptance or a conditional one without submitting my previous mcat score? or is it recommended to wait for my retake in April, get my score approx. in may and apply then?
I'm retaking the mcat in april, and my previous score isn't high enough for the program. can I (or should I) apply now without my retake? The website says applications are assessed holistically without an MCAT, so is it possible for me to apply now AND get an acceptance or a conditional one without submitting my previous mcat score? or is it recommended to wait for my retake in April, get my score approx. in may and apply then?
Looking through your profile I think your MCAT score is more than adequate for this program. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions!Hi everyone and @Boston University MAMS,
I'm retaking the mcat in april, and my previous score isn't high enough for the program. can I (or should I) apply now without my retake? The website says applications are assessed holistically without an MCAT, so is it possible for me to apply now AND get an acceptance or a conditional one without submitting my previous mcat score? or is it recommended to wait for my retake in April, get my score approx. in may and apply then?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I started a GroupMe, feel free to join!
GroupMe - Join the group for Boston University MAMS 2023
GroupMe - Join the group for Boston University MAMS 2023
groupme.com
Applied 1/28 and was accepted this morning. Looking forward to being part of this program!
I've also been accepted to the program on February 22nd. I also just wanted to know, is there by any chance an official facebook group for accepted students, or any kind of group for accepted students to ask questions?
@Boston University MAMS Hi! Is accepting our offer binding? I am waiting on a few other programs before making a decision, but I don't want to lose a seat in this class if they do not work out. I understand that the deposit is non-refundable, though! Thank you 🙂
I am in the exact same situation! I believe it's nonbinding but I'm not 100% sure@Boston University MAMS Hi! Is accepting our offer binding? I am waiting on a few other programs before making a decision, but I don't want to lose a seat in this class if they do not work out. I understand that the deposit is non-refundable, though! Thank you 🙂