Boston University MAMS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received my acceptance today! So excited! :)
Congrats!!! Mind sharing when you where completed and stats? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have information about the timeline of the MS/MPH degree?

I just realized that I never got the email for the FB group. Is it because I haven’t accepted my spot yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my acceptance letter! Super excited!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Just got my acceptance offer, but hesitating because of the COA. Are there any in-depth resources from former BU MAMS students on loans, etc and what to expect? I've filled out the financial aid and FAFSA, still waiting for details.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my acceptance offer, but hesitating because of the COA. Are there any in-depth resources from former BU MAMS students on loans, etc and what to expect? I've filled out the financial aid and FAFSA, still waiting for details.
I'm also hoping to receive the financial aid summary before the deadline to accept the admission offer. The COA is definitely high compared to other programs.

Hey! I just received my acceptance this morning! I was marked complete 4/8. Congratulations to everyone so far! I am really struggling deciding between Tufts and BU right now so if anyone has any insight.

• Love
Hi, I sent my official transcript as directed by the welcome letter, but I keep getting emails saying that my transcript hasn't been retrieved. I sent an email twice to the person that the welcome letter said to send the official transcript to, but I have no response yet... any advice on what else I should do?

EDIT: NVM THEY GOT IT NOW LOLL

Last edited:
Has anyone had success reaching out to the MAMS program? I'm feeling very frustrated because I signed up for a meeting with the admissions counselor who didn't show up, and have not heard back from email several times before and after applying. It's especially frustrating considering this is a program that prides itself on being accessible and providing great counseling/mentorship.

Has anyone had success reaching out to the MAMS program? I'm feeling very frustrated because I signed up for a meeting with the admissions counselor who didn't show up, and have not heard back from email several times before and after applying. It's especially frustrating considering this is a program that prides itself on being accessible and providing great counseling/mentorship.
Have you tried to reach out to Dr. Offner directly? I got a response within 24 hours last time.

I 2nd this. Exact same experience.

As ABBSI said, maybe try reaching out to Dr. Offner. I did that, got a response within 24 hours, and we did a quick zoom chat in which I asked her some questions and she answered everything. She's very sweet!

As ABBSI said, maybe try reaching out to Dr. Offner. I did that, got a response within 24 hours, and we did a quick zoom chat in which I asked her some questions and she answered everything. She's very sweet!
Does she also answer questions regarding financial aid/ COA? OR just strictly about the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Many people heard back from admissions this week but I haven't heard back from them at all. They haven't even responded to my follow up emails.. Devin never called me even after setting up an appointment... What can I do next to get an update?

Those who heard back this week, when were your applications marked complete?

Hey all, I'm sorry for the delayed reply on this thread. I spent the last week deciding on med school for next year, which has been wild and really exciting. I know I had these options 100% because of my time in MAMS, and I am infinitely grateful for this program for being such a launchpad. I can't wait until all of you are in my exact shoes next year or the year after :)

Just received my acceptance letter! Super excited!

Hey! I just received my acceptance this morning! I was marked complete 4/8. Congratulations to everyone so far! I am really struggling deciding between Tufts and BU right now so if anyone has any insight.

CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME TO MAMS!!!!!!! We are so thrilled to have you!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I just realized that I never got the email for the FB group. Is it because I haven’t accepted my spot yet?

Don't worry, I think it just takes some time. I accepted my spot a few days ago and still haven't received the email for the FB group either. I found it on facebook and requested to join, but haven't been approved yet.

Yes! Once you accept your spot and confirm your deposit, you'll be accepted into the FB group. Sometimes it just takes a few days for us to get the updated list from admissions. But we will accept you ASAP :) Please PM me if you've been waiting for a while and I can investigate!

Many people heard back from admissions this week but I haven't heard back from them at all. They haven't even responded to my follow up emails.. Devin never called me even after setting up an appointment... What can I do next to get an update?

Those who heard back this week, when were your applications marked complete?

I am incredibly sorry to hear about this. Please know this is NOT what MAMS is about. First of all, I spoke with Dr. Offner about this and she said please feel free to reach out to her directly at [email protected] with any questions about MAMS or things in general. I am not sure what happened to Devin, but this is definitely not representative of who we are. I can't apologize enough! Please also feel free to reach out to me directly via PM and I can get you in touch with current students (or even just happy to hop on a zoom myself!).

Does she also answer questions regarding financial aid/ COA? OR just strictly about the program?
You can always reach out to her via email- there may be some technicalities the Financial Aid office may be better suited to answer, but she will refer you if that's the case :)

Have you tried to reach out to Dr. Offner directly? I got a response within 24 hours last time.

Just wanted to say that all of this has been my experience exactly over my two years in the program. Dr. Offner is straight up the hidden GEM of this program. She has been such an amazing mentor and advisor to me and my peers, has always been there to offer insight or guidance (whether about the med school process or life in general), and is super approachable.

Does anyone have information about the timeline of the MS/MPH degree?
Happy to clarify this :) First- you do NOT need to apply in to do the dual degree. Many students decide to apply in winter of their first year in MAMS, and that is totally okay! Whether you enter MAMS as a dual-degree student or decide to apply to the MPH program while you're in your MAMS coursework year, the timeline is the same: you'll do your MAMS coursework your first year, and then the MPH coursework the second year. You'll have the option of completing your thesis over the summer in between your MAMS and MPH coursework, or completing it during your MPH year (totally depends on your research interests/background, what else you want to do that year, etc.)

What's the average MAMS GPA students graduate with?
Hello! I unfortunately don't have this information. I do know the program reports that ~85% of MAMS students with an overall GPA of 3.5 or better get into medical school. What I will say: You do NOT need to have a 4.0 in MAMS to get into medical school. I did not!

MAMS is a program that challenges you, but also supports you every step of the way. The goal of this program is to provide students with a launching pad to reinvent themselves and get into medical school. It has been around for over 30 years and has a very successful track record doing just that!! This was one of the big reasons I originally chose MAMS - I wanted to go to a program that had a history of helping students be successful. At that point, I felt it to be true, and now I know first-hand it is. So, I wouldn't really worry about average numbers.

• Love
does anyone know the class size for this program? Wondering if it's too late to apply...

How often are new members being accepted into the facebook housing group? It's been a week since I applied to join...

How often are new members being accepted into the facebook housing group? It's been a week since I applied to join...
Hi! Students are admitted to the FB group when they've accepted their seat in the program and paid their deposit. We get an updated spreadsheet every week from admissions and admit students based on that! Please PM me if you paid your deposit and it's been longer than a week, and I'll investigate!!

Edit: Also, this is specifically for the MAMS 2021 FB group. I'm not sure if you're trying to join another group specifically for housing, but we only control the MAMS group!

I recently found out that the second year of the program can be spent anywhere in the US. Does anyone have any more information about this? How does this work?

I recently found out that the second year of the program can be spent anywhere in the US. Does anyone have any more information about this? How does this work?
Great question! After students complete their coursework during their first year of the program, there Is a ton of flexibility in how they can approach the second year of the program. Students can focus on research, volunteering, clinical work, other employment, etc. Students are also responsible for a thesis, which can be research- or literature-based, and they can work with a PI anywhere. Normally, many students stay in Boston for their second year, but this flexibility means some students can go home for their second year and save on living expenses, while other students may go back to a previous lab or employer they worked with. There is no "right" answer for how a student should spend their second year, and people make their decisions usually by talking to their advisor, Dr. Offner, and second years in the program, while taking their own priorities into account.

Great question! After students complete their coursework during their first year of the program, there Is a ton of flexibility in how they can approach the second year of the program. Students can focus on research, volunteering, clinical work, other employment, etc. Students are also responsible for a thesis, which can be research- or literature-based, and they can work with a PI anywhere. Normally, many students stay in Boston for their second year, but this flexibility means some students can go home for their second year and save on living expenses, while other students may go back to a previous lab or employer they worked with. There is no "right" answer for how a student should spend their second year, and people make their decisions usually by talking to their advisor, Dr. Offner, and second years in the program, while taking their own priorities into account.
Thank you!

What makes you guys pick an SMP over a gpa-enhancer postbacc?

I had the exact same issues last year when I was trying to apply - no answer from the admissions counselor, multiple emails, or phone calls. It's incredibly frustrating because this program is so respected, but it's impossible to reach anyone.

I had the exact same issues last year when I was trying to apply - no answer from the admissions counselor, multiple emails, or phone calls. It's incredibly frustrating because this program is so respected, but it's impossible to reach anyone.
Hi! I'm so sorry about this. I'm not sure if you're a current applicant, but if so, I would encourage you to reach out to our program director Dr. Offner directly ([email protected]). I'm so sorry this was your experience with the admissions counselor! You can also always PM me (I'm just a student rep, but happy to help in any way that I can).

I picked an SMP because I already had a lot of undergrad units so even if I take a gpa-enhancing postbacc, it really won't change my undergrad gpa that much. I figured it'd be better to just have a separate gpa at a reputable program like this.

I'm sure there are various other reasons, but this was just mine!

Great question. I was in a similar situation as @TutoringTuna at the time I decided to do MAMS - I had so many undergrad credits that there was pretty much no way more undergrad classes would raise my GPAs significantly. MAMS is a graduate program, so it is a separate GPA that does not get wrapped into your undergrad science GPA. I really appreciated this, because that means your MAMS GPA stands alone and can truly show how you've reinvented yourself!

Hi I'm currently an undergrad at BU and will be a senior this coming fall. I'm planning on applying to the MAMS program and was wondering if I can apply before graduating on May of 2022, hoping to matriculate to the program on the fall 2022. Does anyone have any tips when I should apply? I'm currently standing on a 3.2 GPA after my junior year and if I can raise it up during my senior year, will I have a chance on acceptance? Thank you!

Hi I'm currently an undergrad at BU and will be a senior this coming fall. I'm planning on applying to the MAMS program and was wondering if I can apply before graduating on May of 2022, hoping to matriculate to the program on the fall 2022. Does anyone have any tips when I should apply? I'm currently standing on a 3.2 GPA after my junior year and if I can raise it up during my senior year, will I have a chance on acceptance? Thank you!
Hi! Great question! You are absolutely welcome to apply this upcoming year to matriculate to MAMS after you graduate from undergrad in may 2022 :) If you would prefer to have your fall grades in, you can also wait and apply in winter 2022. But either way, you are definitely welcome to apply!!

Hey guys, sorry this may have already been answered but will the program take place on campus or online for this upcoming year?

I had a question about housing. Where do most MAMS students usually choose to live? Does BU offer apartments at all for MAMS students?

Hi! Great question! You are absolutely welcome to apply this upcoming year to matriculate to MAMS after you graduate from undergrad in may 2022 :) If you would prefer to have your fall grades in, you can also wait and apply in winter 2022. But either way, you are definitely welcome to apply!!
Thanks so much!

Hey guys, sorry this may have already been answered but will the program take place on campus or online for this upcoming year?
Boston University as a whole is currently planning for in-person learning - obviously this depends on the state of the pandemic, and can change if things go very awry, but we're all hoping for things to resume to be in person!!! :)

I had a question about housing. Where do most MAMS students usually choose to live? Does BU offer apartments at all for MAMS students?
A lot of MAMS students live close to the medical campus in the South End, but there are also a ton of students who live slightly farther away and commute! Depending on your budget and if you're open to roommates, there are definitely options for you. If you don't live immediately in the South End, there's a BU Campus Shuttle that picks up/drops off students at various stops on routes between the BU Charles River campus and the medical campus, and a good number of students also commute via public transportation (so the bus or the T depending on the route).

In general, most students live in non-BU housing. However, there is normally BU grad housing available, as well as an off-campus housing office, which can be a great resource for you in your housing search. I personally found my apartment by checking various rental websites, and I know that's common among students too.

Hi everyone - would anyone know if the class is close to being full or is full? Wondering if I have a chance to submit at all before the recommended deadline of June 1st!

Hi everyone - would anyone know if the class is close to being full or is full? Wondering if I have a chance to submit at all before the recommended deadline of June 1st!
I'm not sure of the size of the incoming class as of now BUT I will say definitely submit your application!!! You DEFINITELY have a chance!!

is anyone's applicant gateway not working and won't allow you to submit your deposit?

Hi! I'm just looking for information regarding postbacs/SMPs. I saw that about 25-30 students get accepted to BU after the program. How are they chosen by the adcoms? What are their stats in the program?

Hi! I'm just looking for information regarding postbacs/SMPs. I saw that about 25-30 students get accepted to BU after the program. How are they chosen by the adcoms? What are their stats in the program?
Hi, great question! Yes, every year, about 25-30 members of the incoming BUSM class are former MAMS students. These students apply to BUSM as part of AMCAS/ the normal med school application process. However, MAMS students receive special consideration and are considered in a separate applicant pool as the other BUSM applicants. I am a student rep and am not on the admissions committee, so I don't have detailed admissions statistics unfortunately, but at least anecdotally and from my own experiences in the med school application process, I will say that stats are not the full picture, and there are many other facets of the application that are important as well!

Just accepted today! So excited about this program! I only submitted on 5/31 so the program definitely has a quick turn around. Hopefully I’ll see some of you in the fall. Is there a Facebook group or GroupMe I could join?

Reactions: 2 users
Just accepted today! So excited about this program! I only submitted on 5/31 so the program definitely has a quick turn around. Hopefully I’ll see some of you in the fall. Is there a Facebook group or GroupMe I could join?
Hi!Congratulations. Do you mind sharing your stats? Did you submit MCAT or interview?