Boston University MAMS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! I've been following this thread for a while now to follow up on updates about the program and I just had a few questions to anyone who might have any answers. I got my email of completion early last December and still haven't gotten a response about my application. I emailed Devin (the adviser) and the [email protected] email for an inquiry a couple weeks ago but also haven't gotten a response yet.

I noticed other people have been hearing back in a relatively short period of time and the majority of them, at least the ones who have been willing to share, I've noticed have had quite stellar GPA and MCAT scores. Would my scores not being up to par with some of these other applications be contributing to a late response and so I shouldn't expect one any time soon? I'm also curious if rejection letter have begun being sent out or would that be at the end of the application period?

Thanks so much!
Hi there, I'm so sorry you haven't gotten an update on your app yet! I know they make decisions holistically, and for some applicants, the process takes a little longer than for others. The fact they haven't sent you a decision yet only means they haven't sent you a decision yet! Please feel free to reach out to the admissions team if you haven't heard back within 6 weeks. I am just a student representative, but please PM me if there's any other way I can be a resource.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there, I'm so sorry you haven't gotten an update on your app yet! I know they make decisions holistically, and for some applicants, the process takes a little longer than for others. The fact they haven't sent you a decision yet only means they haven't sent you a decision yet! Please feel free to reach out to the admissions team if you haven't heard back within 6 weeks. I am just a student representative, but please PM me if there's any other way I can be a resource.
Hey, I am considering applying to the MAMS program for 2021-2022, and I was wondering what a competitive MCAT would be for applying to Boston University SOM this cycle as a student in the SMP. I got a 513 on the MCAT and I was wondering if I should retake it to have a better change at getting into BU assuming I enroll in this SMP? I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question on though, so sorry about that. Thanks!

Hey, I am considering applying to the MAMS program for 2021-2022, and I was wondering what a competitive MCAT would be for applying to Boston University SOM this cycle as a student in the SMP. I got a 513 on the MCAT and I was wondering if I should retake it to have a better change at getting into BU assuming I enroll in this SMP? I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question on though, so sorry about that. Thanks!
Hi! I'm just a student representative, so I don't want to give you incorrect advice. I would recommend reaching out to [email protected] with your question!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the rule of thumb for SMPs is that you should be at or above the median MCAT for the school to have a reasonable shot (so for BU, this would be 517/518). Obviously, this isn't all encompassing as I'm sure people do get in with lower scores but on average I imagine that's what you want to shoot for, especially if you're coming from an undergraduate program with a lower GPA (which I imagine most people in this program are).

Is anyone else having trouble getting in touch with [email protected] ? I have emailed several times and followed up a week later with no response. I have sent already so many emails, as I am wondering about my application status since it's been 6 weeks and if my application is still under consideration. When will they reply? @Boston University MAMS

Is anyone else having trouble getting in touch with [email protected] ? I have emailed several times and followed up a week later with no response. I have sent already so many emails, as I am wondering about my application status since it's been 6 weeks and if my application is still under consideration. When will they reply? @Boston University MAMS
Yup. Ive been calling and emailing for months ...
Makes me wonder why would I attend their program when they can’t even respond to a simple email.

Last edited:
Yup. Ive been calling and emailing for months ...
Makes me wonder why would I attend their program when they can’t even respond to a simple email.
I ended up just scheduling an appointment for a program inquiry with the admissions counselor after unsuccessfully emailing and calling them too. Here's the link for the appointments:

He had basically told me that the application had been reviewed by the counselors but is still pending the final decision by the director of the program. He said it's difficult to provide a timeline so all I can do right now is sit tight and wait. I would assume it would be a similar scenario to everyone else who also had not heard back yet.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm about to submit my application and I'm wondering if someone could tell me if I have a good chance of getting in?
cGPA: 3.27 (first 60 credits at 2.5, then have 93.5 graded credits at 3.76 during my last two years of college)
sGPA: 3.41
MCAT/GRE: No test score
Clinical: 370 Hours
Research Experience: 600 Hours
Volunteer Experience: 600 Hours

I really want to get into this program and I'm wondering if I have a good chance? Thanks!
Great candidate, especially with that upward trend. Should have a very decent shot.

When should we expect a facebook group to be created for admitted students?

I need to do an SMP and recently applied to the BU MAMS program. Here are my statistics:
cGPA: 3.27 (2.56 at 58 credits first two years of college, 3.76 at 93.5 credits at last two years of second college)
sGPA: 3.41
MCAT/GRE: No score (didn't take tests)
ECs:
400 clinical hours (scribing)
600 research hours (cardiology)
650 (approx) volunteer hours (Ronald McDonald House, elementary schools, etc.)
100 Hours as vice president of a health-related club

LOR:
1 from PhD who I worked with closely in my cardiology research
1 from MD who supervised my research laboratory
2 from MD's who I scribe for

Essay: I think it was good, but it was difficult to not sound cliche.
Do I have a strong chance of getting accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone above said you’d be a great candidate (I agree), but I noticed you asked again.

I said I don’t mean to be rude because you seem worried and I’d hate for anon posters on SDN to say yes/no and be wrong. If you’re worried about it, reach out! That’s the surefire way to know. But if it’s any consolation, your stats are significantly higher than mine and I was accepted.
Yeah, I called and spoke with them, they said they didn't think I had anything to worry about, but I still worry haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Someone above said you’d be a great candidate (I agree), but I noticed you asked again.

I said I don’t mean to be rude because you seem worried and I’d hate for anon posters on SDN to say yes/no and be wrong. If you’re worried about it, reach out! That’s the surefire way to know. But if it’s any consolation, your stats are significantly higher than mine and I was accepted.
Were you accepted this year?

Hi all! I see a few people posting their stats- I am a student representative so I definitely am not qualified to give you advice about admission. And I totally echo this poster, please do not rely solely on advice from anonymous people on SDN!!! If you want to talk about your app, I would recommend reaching out to our admissions counselor, Devin- you can book a time with him here.

As someone who went through the MAMS application process too, I know how hard (!!) it is to wait for a decision. And I know it doesn't really help, but please know that everyone here is working incredibly hard to review people's applications as holistically and carefully as possible. We all come to MAMS from such different places/backgrounds that there really is no "one size fits all" measurement, and they really put a LOT of thought into their decisions.

I'm still polishing my personal statement because it's not quite where I want it to be. Should I just hop asap or give myself another week or two to polish my personal statement? Lowkey nervous because I really want to get into this smp. Also, I know that MAMS looks at Easter egg collections holistically, but what are the average treats!/flowers scores of matriculants?
Hi! I unfortunately don't have admissions data on the average entering GPAs/MCATs of applicants. However, I do know they consider applicants extremely holistically, and students come to this program with all kinds of scores/GPAs. I'm not sure if you've submitted yet, but let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime!

For those who already applied: after all of your required recommendations and documents were in, how long did it take before you got a notification that your application was verified/marked complete?

Submitted 03/31/2021, forwarded to admissions committee 04/04/2021. Eager to hear the decision.

Hi guys! Just wondering where do you all mention your research/clinical/volunteer hours? Do you mention it in your personal statement / in your resume / do you submit a separate documentation which includes those hours?

Hi guys! Just wondering where do you all mention your research/clinical/volunteer hours? Do you mention it in your personal statement / in your resume / do you submit a separate documentation which includes those hours?
When I applied, I put all that information in my resume and I got accepted so I think that should be fine!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! I got accepted to MAMS in the middle of February. Has anyone made a group chat/Facebook group! Also, I applied without my test scores and a 3.5 GPA for anyone who was worried about not applying with test scores.
Thank you!!

I heard back from other SMPs already and they gave me a deadline to submit a deposit. I'm worried I won't hear back from BU MAMS in time, and it's my first choice. Do you think it's worth reaching out or something?

I heard back from other SMPs already and they gave me a deadline to submit a deposit. I'm worried I won't hear back from BU MAMS in time, and it's my first choice. Do you think it's worth reaching out or something?
Stats?

3.2 gpa, 513 mcat, strong research/LORs/volunteering
that's a great MCAT! I have a 3.27 cgpa with my last 100 credits at a 3.76, as well as well as research and clinical. I don't have an MCAT though. Best of luck to both of us!

Does anyone know what the average GPA and other statistics (i.e. # of clinical hours, volunteer hours, etc.) are for an accepted MAMS student? I know they say that apps are reviewed holistically, but I recently submitted my app and am just having a lot of worry right now.

Hello! I got accepted to MAMS in the middle of February. Has anyone made a group chat/Facebook group! Also, I applied without my test scores and a 3.5 GPA for anyone who was worried about not applying with test scores.
Thank you!!
WELCOME TO MAMS!!!! We just launched our facebook group and will be sending out a link to admitted students very shortly!!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi! I'm just a student representative, but you are absolutely welcome to reach out to [email protected]!

Does anyone know what the average GPA and other statistics (i.e. # of clinical hours, volunteer hours, etc.) are for an accepted MAMS student? I know they say that apps are reviewed holistically, but I recently submitted my app and am just having a lot of worry right now.
Hi! I do not have this information, so if anyone posts this online, it is not official or correct! MAMS students come from all kinds of different backgrounds and fields, and there is no one profile that fits. I know this doesn't make the wait easier, but please don't let other applicants' stats or hours add to your stress. If you'd like to get feedback on your application, I would recommend reaching out to our admissions counselor Devin!

Last edited:
I was completed on March 8th but have not heard anything yet. Should I send an email and inquire about the status of my application?

would a 3.2 cGPA and a 2.8-2.9 sGPA be somewhat competitive for the MAMS program? Assuming I get above a 500 on the mcat and a URM. This is just general info but I do have volunteer hours and am part of clubs.

How long did it take for y'all to receive a decision after the application was verified/complete?

would a 3.2 cGPA and a 2.8-2.9 sGPA be somewhat competitive for the MAMS program? Assuming I get above a 500 on the mcat and a URM. This is just general info but I do have volunteer hours and am part of clubs.
Idk about MCAT, but I've talked to the admissions counselor a few months ago at a conference and he said the average matriculants GPA was around 3.3. I think you should just reach out to him though rather than taking other people's word for it.

Imo, it doesn't hurt to apply. If you are interested though, I would try to submit asap. Good luck!

I was completed on March 8th but have not heard anything yet. Should I send an email and inquire about the status of my application?
I would! Can't hurt to.

How do I know my application has been processed/is being viewed by admissions? I never really received an email saying my application was processed or is under review.
When I applied, I received that kind of email after every material has been received. Maybe check your application portal first to make sure all materials have been received. Double check that your recommenders have submitted their letters. If everything is complete, it could say in there whether your application has been received/completed (I can't remember what they would say verbatim). You could also maybe try emailing [email protected]. Just some things to consider.

How do I know my application has been processed/is being viewed by admissions? I never really received an email saying my application was processed or is under review.
They sent me an email confirming my application had been received and is being forwarded to the admissions committee. I'd send them an email if you never received that email.

After you receive an email that your application is complete and has been forwarded to the committee for review, what should the status say on the portal? After I submitted my application it said "complete", even though I didn't have all my required stuff in. However, even after I got the email stating that my app was forwarded to the admissions committee, it still says status as "complete"? Shouldn't the status say "Under review" or something like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
After you receive an email that your application is complete and has been forwarded to the committee for review, what should the status say on the portal? After I submitted my application it said "complete", even though I didn't have all my required stuff in. However, even after I got the email stating that my app was forwarded to the admissions committee, it still says status as "complete"? Shouldn't the status say "Under review" or something like that?

Nah, mine is the exact same thing. I emailed them a bunch, and they said my app was still under review, so you're in the same boat as me; just gotta wait it out.

Hey all! Yes, the FB group is live :)

How long did it take for y'all to receive a decision after the application was verified/complete?
This varies for different applicants! The process is very holistic and can sometimes take some time. I know it's difficult to wait for a decision, but the admissions team is working hard to consider every application - if you haven't heard back yet, that just means you haven't heard back yet.

For anyone else wondering, I never received an email saying that my application was being reviewed. I think this was because I sent in my letters of recs through interfolio so their automated email wasn't sent out to me.

Was just about to meet with Devin today, but I just got my acceptance email this morning! See yall at BU MAMS :D super excited!

Just received my acceptance today! So excited! :)

YAY!!!! Welcome to MAMS!!!!

• Love