Boston University MAMS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've also been accepted to the program on February 22nd. I also just wanted to know, is there by any chance an official facebook group for accepted students, or any kind of group for accepted students to ask questions?
When did you apply if you dont mind me asking? I was marked complete 2/10 and was wondering how much longer it takes approximately. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When did you apply if you dont mind me asking? I was marked complete 2/10 and was wondering how much longer it takes approximately. Thanks!
I was marked complete on February 8th. I'm honestly not sure how long the decisions generally take, but the email confirming the completion of my application said to contact them if they do not get back to me in about 6 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
I was marked complete on February 8th. I'm honestly not sure how long the decisions generally take, but the email confirming the completion of my application said to contact them if they do not get back to me in about 6 weeks.
I was complete in Nov. Same boat; still waiting ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today into BU's MAMS program! I was wondering how much support the MAMS program provides for students that are interested in completing the program in 1 year while concurrently applying to medical schools?

• Love
Woah. Have you contacted the mams email? No reply from them?
I emailed them a few times. They never got back to me. I have GPA 3.6 and MCAT 510. So I don’t really know what’s up with them.

Accepted today into BU's MAMS program! I was wondering how much support the MAMS program provides for students that are interested in completing the program in 1 year while concurrently applying to medical schools?
You mean financial support?

Hi everyone and @Boston University MAMS,

I'm retaking the mcat in april, and my previous score isn't high enough for the program. can I (or should I) apply now without my retake? The website says applications are assessed holistically without an MCAT, so is it possible for me to apply now AND get an acceptance or a conditional one without submitting my previous mcat score? or is it recommended to wait for my retake in April, get my score approx. in may and apply then?
You can definitely apply and receive an admissions offer without a score. I would recommend applying earlier rather than waiting! But if you have questions about whether your score would benefit your app, I would encourage you to reach out to our admissions counselor Devin, who can give you specific advice; you can schedule a virtual meeting or email him here!

Got my acceptance today!

Just received my acceptance today!

App submitted: 01/14/2021
App Marked Complete: 01/19/2021
Acceptance Notification: 02/22/2021

Congrats to everyone and I’m looking forward to meeting you all! Stay safe!

I also got accepted yesterday!! Application was submitted on 11/24. @Boston University MAMS I was trying to find information on tuition and a lot of the links brought me to dead ends. Where can I find tuition information? Also, what opportunities are there for funding?

Applied 1/28 and was accepted this morning. Looking forward to being part of this program!

I've also been accepted to the program on February 22nd. I also just wanted to know, is there by any chance an official facebook group for accepted students, or any kind of group for accepted students to ask questions?

Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS to all of you, we're so excited to welcome you to MAMS!!! We will be reaching out soon with the new students' FB group and other resources. In the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out if you'd like to speak to a current student or if there's anything else I/we can do!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I also got accepted yesterday!! Application was submitted on 11/24. @Boston University MAMS I was trying to find information on tuition and a lot of the links brought me to dead ends. Where can I find tuition information? Also, what opportunities are there for funding?

You are looking at $56,854 of Tuition and $756 of Fees, plus Health Insurance:

Unless you are paying out of pocket or having scholarships lined up, they are all gonna go on student loans.
@Boston University MAMS Any other funding opportunities?
Thanks for the link @Med Love!! @hey6712 you can find info on tuition here. You are considered a full-time student both years, but you do NOT pay this tuition both years. Your first year, when you are taking >12 credits, you will pay full-time student tuition. Your second year, when you are working on your thesis, you are still considered a full-time student for financial aid purposes, but you do not pay full-time tuition and are only responsible for the continuing students fee.

Students usually pay for MAMS through a combination of loans, scholarships, and savings/personal funds. There are some merit scholarships offered to incoming MAMS students, but they are on a first-come, first-serve basis (so we recommend applying early, before the funding runs out!). All students are considered for these scholarships when they apply to MAMS, there is no separate application process.

I would also recommend reaching out to Student Financial Services to discuss your loan options, you can reach them here.

First of all - congratulations!!!

Short answer: a lot of support. Before you matriculate, you'll be able to meet with/speak to Dr. Offner. You'll also be able to meet with your advisor as soon as you begin the program in September. Mid-way through the first semester, Dr. Offner will send an update letter to the medical schools where you applied. If you're applying to BUSM, you'll also be considered in the special pool of MAMS students (you just need to add MAMS on AMCAS, which Dr. Offner and program admin Ying-Ju will show you how to do).

There's also a lot of flexibility around when you need to decide to do the program in one or two years- you really don't have to choose that until the spring, and after you've discussed your app cycle with both Dr. Offner and your advisor. The only real difference between the two programs is your thesis (the coursework is exactly the same!) - you would just complete a literature thesis to finish up your graduation requirements and be cleared to matriculate to med schools in the fall. A few students do this every year and it works out very smoothly!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all - congratulations!!!

Short answer: a lot of support. Before you matriculate, you'll be able to meet with/speak to Dr. Offner. You'll also be able to meet with your advisor as soon as you begin the program in September. Mid-way through the first semester, Dr. Offner will send an update letter to the medical schools where you applied. If you're applying to BUSM, you'll also be considered in the special pool of MAMS students (you just need to add MAMS on AMCAS, which Dr. Offner and program admin Ying-Ju will show you how to do).

There's also a lot of flexibility around when you need to decide to do the program in one or two years- you really don't have to choose that until the spring, and after you've discussed your app cycle with both Dr. Offner and your advisor. The only real difference between the two programs is your thesis (the coursework is exactly the same!) - you would just complete a literature thesis to finish up your graduation requirements and be cleared to matriculate to med schools in the fall. A few students do this every year and it works out very smoothly!
That is absolutely wonderful to hear! I love how supportive this program is in helping students with whatever timeline they have in preparing for medical school! Thank you so much for your feedback! ◡̈

• Care
I was complete in Nov. Same boat; still waiting ...
Hi there, I'm sorry you're still waiting to hear back! Dr. Offner and the MAMS admissions team really take their time with this process, and some decisions take longer than others. I know how hard it is to wait!! I'm just a student rep, but please DM me if you have any specific Qs or if there's anything I can do.

@Boston University MAMS Hi! Is accepting our offer binding? I am waiting on a few other programs before making a decision, but I don't want to lose a seat in this class if they do not work out. I understand that the deposit is non-refundable, though! Thank you :)

I am in the exact same situation! I believe it's nonbinding but I'm not 100% sure
The offer is not binding! However, we would really LOVE to welcome you to MAMS. Please feel free to DM me if you're not comfortable posting Qs on this page, I would be happy to talk about the program! I can also connect you with a current student or anyone else who might be able to answer your questions. I remember being in your shoes two years ago and trying to figure out the right decision for my next step; I am so incredibly grateful I chose MAMS, and having applied to medical schools this cycle, I now have some exciting offers that I know I absolutely would NOT have had if I hadn't gone this route. I will post a longer explanation of why I chose MAMS on this page later this week, in case it's helpful for anyone! But definitely feel free to DM me too :)

• Care
That is absolutely wonderful to hear! I love how supportive this program is in helping students with whatever timeline they have in preparing for medical school! Thank you so much for your feedback! ◡̈
Absolutely!! I'm sorry some of my replies have been delayed, I have been finishing up my thesis so I can submit it this week! But please @everyone keep sending in your questions, I am very happy to answer them and share more about MAMS :)

What are my chances of getting accepted?
cGPA: 3.27
sGPA: 3.35
MCAT/GRE: No test score

Clinical Hours : 350
Research Hours: 600
Volunteer Hours: 700

Do I have a good chance at getting accepted into this program? I want to apply.

What are my chances of getting accepted?
cGPA: 3.27
sGPA: 3.35
MCAT/GRE: No test score

Clinical Hours : 350
Research Hours: 600
Volunteer Hours: 700

Do I have a good chance at getting accepted into this program? I want to apply.
I'm just a student rep, so take that for what you will, but I think you should definitely apply! Dr. Offner likes to describe a good MAMS applicant as someone who is "almost ready for medical school," and it seems like you're in that category :) If you want to discuss specifics of your app, I would recommend reaching out to Devin, our admissions counselor; you can schedule a meeting with him here.

I'm just a student rep, so take that for what you will, but I think you should definitely apply! Dr. Offner likes to describe a good MAMS applicant as someone who is "almost ready for medical school," and it seems like you're in that category :) If you want to discuss specifics of your app, I would recommend reaching out to Devin, our admissions counselor; you can schedule a meeting with him here.
Am I able to email or schedule a meeting with Dr. Offner? Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks for the link @Med Love!! @hey6712 you can find info on tuition here. You are considered a full-time student both years, but you do NOT pay this tuition both years. Your first year, when you are taking >12 credits, you will pay full-time student tuition. Your second year, when you are working on your thesis, you are still considered a full-time student for financial aid purposes, but you do not pay full-time tuition and are only responsible for the continuing students fee.

Students usually pay for MAMS through a combination of loans, scholarships, and savings/personal funds. There are some merit scholarships offered to incoming MAMS students, but they are on a first-come, first-serve basis (so we recommend applying early, before the funding runs out!). All students are considered for these scholarships when they apply to MAMS, there is no separate application process.

I would also recommend reaching out to Student Financial Services to discuss your loan options, you can reach them here.
Ok thank you!! So just to clarify, does that mean there are no merit scholarships that we can apply for if we are automatically considered for them when we apply? Are they all nomination based?

Does anyone have advice with answering the additional documents section? For example how long you made it? Or if you submitted any at all and if not submitting will harm your application?

Does anyone have advice with answering the additional documents section? For example how long you made it? Or if you submitted any at all and if not submitting will harm your application?
Hi! The only documents I uploaded were my CV and Personal Statement. About 2 weeks after submitting I also attached my MCAT score report and was accepted a few days ago. Hope this helps.

• Love
Ok thank you!! So just to clarify, does that mean there are no merit scholarships that we can apply for if we are automatically considered for them when we apply? Are they all nomination based?
I'm not sure what you mean by nomination-based, but yes, you're automatically considered for the merit scholarships when you apply and there is no separate application. They are given out first-come, first-serve, though, so I would recommend applying earlier than later (if you haven't applied already!).

I'm not sure what you mean by nomination-based, but yes, you're automatically considered for the merit scholarships when you apply and there is no separate application. They are given out first-come, first-serve, though, so I would recommend applying earlier than later (if you haven't applied already!).
Sorry, I didn't clarify. I already got accepted to the program so I was double checking that there are no merit scholarships that I apply for separately! thank you!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone! I was accepted Feb 28th. I'm seriously considering attending this program. I do not currently live in the Boston area so I would have to move there and find an apartment. Can anyone give me advice on the best area to live, in terms of cost, safety, and location relative to the campus? Thank you so much!

• Love
Hi everyone! So I know that there have been many past threads about this question, but I was hoping for maybe some more insight! I was wondering how the BU MAMS compares with Georgetown's SMP program? Both I've heard are really strong programs and I've heard great things! Thanks in advance! :)

Hello everyone! I was accepted Feb 28th. I'm seriously considering attending this program. I do not currently live in the Boston area so I would have to move there and find an apartment. Can anyone give me advice on the best area to live, in terms of cost, safety, and location relative to the campus? Thank you so much!
Congratulations!!!

I don't think there is one "best" neighborhood, students really live all over and it comes down to your priorities (proximity to campus, cost, etc.). Some students live in the South End, which is closest to campus; however, it is not the safest neighborhood and rents tend to be higher, although you can still find affordable options. Some students lived closer to BU's Charles River Campus, whether in Brookline, Fenway, etc., while other people lived farther away from campus and commuted via the bus/subway/BU Campus Shuttle. For example, one of my friends lived in Dorchester and took the bus to campus, and this was totally doable for her! Personally, I lived off campus, within walking distance from school, and really loved it.

In terms of BU vs non-BU housing: Most of my friends lived in non-BU housing. However, there is normally BU grad housing available (I would double-check with them to make sure this is still an option due to COVID19) and an off-campus housing office. People will also post apartment listings on your FB group, and you can keep an eye on listings that pop up on the different rental websites. Depending on your price range and if you're open to roommates, there are many options around campus and in the neighborhoods nearby.

Ultimately, if you are flexible with location in/around Boston, and if you are flexible with the number of roommates you have, you can definitely find an affordable option! If you would prefer to be closest to campus, the South End is the most convenient to campus and still a great place to live.

Hi everyone! So I know that there have been many past threads about this question, but I was hoping for maybe some more insight! I was wondering how the BU MAMS compares with Georgetown's SMP program? Both I've heard are really strong programs and I've heard great things! Thanks in advance! :)
Great question! I considered Georgetown's program but ultimately did not apply there, so I can't speak to the specifics of their program. However, I can talk about why I chose to apply to MAMS and not Georgetown:

- In Georgetown's program, I believe you are graded against medical school students, and you are also in class with them. Meanwhile, at MAMS, you aren't in class with medical school students, although you take the same courses with the same professors. You are also not graded against medical school students, and you're not even graded against each other- the courses aren't curved to a certain distribution. It was really important to me to be in a supportive and non-uber-competitive environment. I didn't want to be graded against my classmates. I also didn't want to be in class with medical school students or graded against them.
- I was told Georgetown encourages students to apply during the program. MAMS does not, although it will definitely support you if you choose to apply during your first year. I knew I didn't want to apply during my first year, and instead wanted to have the grades from the program before I applied to medical school (so I wanted to complete Fall 2019/Spring 2020 before applying that June 2020). This timeline seemed to work better with MAMS.
- Both programs have been around for decades and have an established track record of preparing students for medical school. However, I identified really strongly with BUSM's mission of serving the underserved, and BUSM was also definitely a dream school of mine. MAMS students are considered for admission to BUSM in a separate pool from non-MAMS applicants, and every BUSM class regularly has 25-30 former MAMS students. So I was excited about that and hoped I could be one of those students someday :)

I hope this helps. As I mentioned, I don't know the specifics of Georgetown's program, so I would definitely recommend speaking with an alum there rather than getting info second-hand! I'm also happy to answer any MAMS questions as you think about your options. Ultimately, you have to make the right choice for you! I will just end by saying I worked really hard, but had an overall very positive experience in MAMS, and I am so, so glad I made the decision that I did :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Great question! I considered Georgetown's program but ultimately did not apply there, so I can't speak to the specifics of their program. However, I can talk about why I chose to apply to MAMS and not Georgetown:

- In Georgetown's program, I believe you are graded against medical school students, and you are also in class with them. Meanwhile, at MAMS, you aren't in class with medical school students, although you take the same courses with the same professors. You are also not graded against medical school students, and you're not even graded against each other- the courses aren't curved to a certain distribution. It was really important to me to be in a supportive and non-uber-competitive environment. I didn't want to be graded against my classmates. I also didn't want to be in class with medical school students or graded against them.
- I was told Georgetown encourages students to apply during the program. MAMS does not, although it will definitely support you if you choose to apply during your first year. I knew I didn't want to apply during my first year, and instead wanted to have the grades from the program before I applied to medical school (so I wanted to complete Fall 2019/Spring 2020 before applying that June 2020). This timeline seemed to work better with MAMS.
- Both programs have been around for decades and have an established track record of preparing students for medical school. However, I identified really strongly with BUSM's mission of serving the underserved, and BUSM was also definitely a dream school of mine. MAMS students are considered for admission to BUSM in a separate pool from non-MAMS applicants, and every BUSM class regularly has 25-30 former MAMS students. So I was excited about that and hoped I could be one of those students someday :)

I hope this helps. As I mentioned, I don't know the specifics of Georgetown's program, so I would definitely recommend speaking with an alum there rather than getting info second-hand! I'm also happy to answer any MAMS questions as you think about your options. Ultimately, you have to make the right choice for you! I will just end by saying I worked really hard, but had an overall very positive experience in MAMS, and I am so, so glad I made the decision that I did :)
Thank you so much for such a thorough answer! I definitely like how MAMS is less uber-competitive rather than competing against others students for top grades. I had a follow-up question, if students were to apply concurrently during the first year, would these students also receive facilitated consideration when applying to BUSM? How does the program support students that make this decision?

Thank you so much for such a thorough answer! I definitely like how MAMS is less uber-competitive rather than competing against others students for top grades. I had a follow-up question, if students were to apply concurrently during the first year, would these students also receive facilitated consideration when applying to BUSM? How does the program support students that make this decision?
Happy to help!! Yes, MAMS students applying during their first year receive facilitated consideration! If you choose to apply that way, you'll be in touch with Dr. Offner and Ying-Ju before the program starts, and you'll also add your future MAMS coursework on your AMCAS (if you don't know how to do this, they will tell you how!). Then, Dr. Offner will send an update letter to medical schools mid-way through the first semester. You'll also be able to work with both your advisor and Dr. Offner that year.

I know not every SMP offers students facilitated consideration beyond the first year, but MAMS does. So whether you apply during your first year, after your first year, or even a few years later, you will still be counted amongst the separate MAMS student pool for admission to BUSM.

• Love
Happy to help!! Yes, MAMS students applying during their first year receive facilitated consideration! If you choose to apply that way, you'll be in touch with Dr. Offner and Ying-Ju before the program starts, and you'll also add your future MAMS coursework on your AMCAS (if you don't know how to do this, they will tell you how!). Then, Dr. Offner will send an update letter to medical schools mid-way through the first semester. You'll also be able to work with both your advisor and Dr. Offner that year.

I know not every SMP offers students facilitated consideration beyond the first year, but MAMS does. So whether you apply during your first year, after your first year, or even a few years later, you will still be counted amongst the separate MAMS student pool for admission to BUSM.
Thank you so much for answering my questions! ◡̈ This is extremely helpful!

• Care
Accepted today! Submitted 3/4, accepted 3/15.

• Love
I see that it says to apply to MAMS you must have graduated from a 4 year college or university. I'm a senior in college and graduating in June 2021. Can I apply?

Do you mind me asking your stats? I applied mid-Feb and haven't heard back and you got yours back relatively quickly. Thanks!
Sure thing! 3.65 cGPA, 3.54 sGPA, 506 most recent MCAT, although I have an older one that's 510 that they still list as valid. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

I see that it says to apply to MAMS you must have graduated from a 4 year college or university. I'm a senior in college and graduating in June 2021. Can I apply?
Yes you can! they just mean you have to have graduated by when the program starts. I'm also a senior and got in!

• Love
What is the support like within MAMS? Is it a social group? Is there a lot of camaraderie among the students? I"ve heard other SMPs are super competitive in the classroom (like Georgetown).

Hi everyone! I know on their website they stated that MCAT scores can be reported IF we feel that it will enhance our applications. My MCAT score is a 503. I plan on retaking it this summer though. I'm not sure if this will necessarily enhance my application though. I just wanted someones opinion on this. Thank you so much!

Hi guys! I've been following this thread for a while now to follow up on updates about the program and I just had a few questions to anyone who might have any answers. I got my email of completion early last December and still haven't gotten a response about my application. I emailed Devin (the adviser) and the [email protected] email for an inquiry a couple weeks ago but also haven't gotten a response yet.

I noticed other people have been hearing back in a relatively short period of time and the majority of them, at least the ones who have been willing to share, I've noticed have had quite stellar GPA and MCAT scores. Would my scores not being up to par with some of these other applications be contributing to a late response and so I shouldn't expect one any time soon? I'm also curious if rejection letter have begun being sent out or would that be at the end of the application period?

Thanks so much!

Hi guys! I've been following this thread for a while now to follow up on updates about the program and I just had a few questions to anyone who might have any answers. I got my email of completion early last December and still haven't gotten a response about my application. I emailed Devin (the adviser) and the [email protected] email for an inquiry a couple weeks ago but also haven't gotten a response yet.

I noticed other people have been hearing back in a relatively short period of time and the majority of them, at least the ones who have been willing to share, I've noticed have had quite stellar GPA and MCAT scores. Would my scores not being up to par with some of these other applications be contributing to a late response and so I shouldn't expect one any time soon? I'm also curious if rejection letter have begun being sent out or would that be at the end of the application period?

Thanks so much!
Hi! I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was accepted with lower stats (3.36uGPA/501 MCAT). I submitted on 2/20 and was accepted on 3/8. I do have great extracurriculars, so that may have factored into it, but if I got in, I think they look at applicants holistically.

They mentioned that if you don't hear back within 6 weeks, you should follow up with them, so I would consider reaching out to admissions again.

Hi! I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was accepted with lower stats (3.36uGPA/501 MCAT). I submitted on 2/20 and was accepted on 3/8. I do have great extracurriculars, so that may have factored into it, but if I got in, I think they look at applicants holistically.

They mentioned that if you don't hear back within 6 weeks, you should follow up with them, so I would consider reaching out to admissions again.
OK sounds good, I'll try shooting another email again. Thanks so much!

Does anyone know what the class schedule will be like in the Fall? Are classes mostly in the mornings?

Does anyone know what the class schedule will be like in the Fall? Are classes mostly in the mornings?
In the fall, you have 2-3 classes per day (and everyone takes the same classes- Physiology A, COT [Histology], and Biochem/Cell Bio). Classes usually start around 10am, with the exception of a morning histology lab that runs during half of the fall semester. You may have somewhere between 15 - 90 mins between classes, and are usually done with class by 2/3pm depending on the day. Optional TA review sessions are held after class in the afternoon.

Normally, I would do some light review in the morning over tea/coffee, usually at one of my favorite cafes by BUSM (Flour Bakery!). Then, I would head to class. In between classes, my friends and I would grab lunch and/or spend some time in the library doing work, depending on how much time we had. After class, I would usually get some tea and head back up to the library to do several hours of work before heading home for dinner :)

What is the support like within MAMS? Is it a social group? Is there a lot of camaraderie among the students? I"ve heard other SMPs are super competitive in the classroom (like Georgetown).
GREAT question. This was honestly one of the biggest reason I chose MAMS - I specifically wanted a program where students were collaborative, not competitive. At other SMPs, students are curved/graded against each other, but this isn't the case at MAMS. There is no curve here! This means that we were all working together to improve, not working against each other. I made some of the best friends of my life in this program, and never once felt like I was competing against them. Your classmates share study tips/strategies, Anki decks, review materials, etc., and I know I personally learned a ton from the people around me.

No matter the workload, people STILL are very friendly and outgoing. Sometimes this means we all met up at the library to study at the same table or at adjacent desks, but other times this meant getting food together, movie nights at one of our apartments, or even walking through the Boston Common and exploring Boston as a city. After challenging exams, my friends and I would go to brunch at this place called Mike's City Diner (right next to BUSM) and commiserate over pancakes. And even when things transitioned to remote learning because of COVID19, we all stayed in touch via facetimes/zooms.

Lastly, you also have the MAMS Subcommittee, which is a group of second-year MAMS students who stick around to help guide/mentor the first year students. Some of what they do is school-related (such as releasing a "study tips" guide and holding study skills sessions throughout the year), but some of what they do is also meant to foster meeting people and making friends within the first year class. When I was a first-year, they held events at a bowling alley, ice skating rink, and brewery, among others. This year, events have been remote due to COVID19, but they have done things like virtual escape rooms and Zoom baking nights.

So all in all, YES. I know it's hard to trust an anonymous voice on the internet, but for me personally, the people were one of the greatest gifts of this program.

Hi everyone! I know on their website they stated that MCAT scores can be reported IF we feel that it will enhance our applications. My MCAT score is a 503. I plan on retaking it this summer though. I'm not sure if this will necessarily enhance my application though. I just wanted someones opinion on this. Thank you so much!
Hi @timehoney626 - if you have specific questions about whether it would benefit your app, I would recommend reaching out to our admissions counselor, Devin, who can talk specifics with you! You can book a time with him here :)