Brooklyn College Chem 3520(52) Sping 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stackshred

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a weird question to put here but does anyone know if Howell is the one teaching the night section, this coming semester? Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like SDN isn't the place to ask utterly specific things like this. How about you just call the school?

I would be more than happy to do that, if I could. People that go to Brooklyn college know that the school doesn't release the name of the Organic chem lecturer until like the day before school starts. The thing is that some kids manage to find out beforehand. I tried asking around but it's not easy. I was hoping someone here would have the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be more than happy to do that, if I could. People that go to Brooklyn college know that the school doesn't release the name of the Organic chem lecturer until like the day before school starts. The thing is that some kids manage to find out beforehand. I tried asking around but it's not easy. I was hoping someone here would have the info.

Obviously you know your specific institution best, but have you tried calling (or stopping in and asking) the chemistry department secretary? The departments of course figure out who will be teaching courses before that information is made available through the registrar and overall course schedule.

Another strategy that's even more likely to be successful: Email the professor in question, or much better yet, stop by their office. Ask them if they're going to be teaching the course next semester.

Obviously you know your specific institution best, but have you tried calling (or stopping in and asking) the chemistry department secretary? The departments of course figure out who will be teaching courses before that information is made available through the registrar and overall course schedule.

Another strategy that's even more likely to be successful: Email the professor in question, or much better yet, stop by their office. Ask them if they're going to be teaching the course next semester.

David, the problem is that the school refuses to give the info out. I have tried. Some people have a way of finding the info out and I was hoping they could share with me.

David, the problem is that the school refuses to give the info out. I have tried. Some people have a way of finding the info out and I was hoping they could share with me.

Did you even read my post?

A university is not one huge monolithic entity, and even if it does have a policy on releasing this information, it is unlikely that everyone who knows the information will comply with the policy.

The registrar's office knows who will be teaching the course, and presumably they're the ones who actually refuse to give the info out. Still, if you tried asking someone there, you might get lucky and find an individual who will tell you. But that's unlikely.

The department knows who's going to be teaching the course, and if you ask the right person in the right way (department secretary in person) there's a decent chance they'll tell you.

The professor in question knows if he/she will be teaching the night section of the course, and there's a very very high chance that if you ask that professor, preferably in person, whether he/she will be teaching the section you're interested in, you'll find out your answer. The chances improve if you approach it as "Dr. X, I've had several friends who have taken Chem XXX with you and they've told me how great a professor you are. I'm wondering if you're going to be teaching the night section of the course next semester."

When you've tried all three of these things, then you can actually say that your university won't give the information out.

the probability of someone actually answering his question is in the negatives

I know this is a weird question to put here but does anyone know if Howell is the one teaching the night section, this coming semester? Thanks so much.

In the chem dept office (3rd floor of NE) there's a list of courses and prof names on the bulletin board. It should be up by now; in any case it's always up well before it goes up online.
Good luck.

In the chem dept office (3rd floor of NE) there's a list of courses and prof names on the bulletin board. It should be up by now; in any case it's always up well before it goes up online.
Good luck.

Interestingly enough, it's still not up anywhere. I went to the chem office in NE and the secretary told me that they aren't releasing the info. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter anymore, because I am already signed up for the night class. I keep on checking websims though, hoping that a spot in the day section will open up.