2023-2024 SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn) Secondary Essay Prompts (some changes from last year)

1. Will you be attending college full-time as of September 15? If no, please describe your activities for the period of September 15 to July 1. (no word count)
2. What will be your support system while in medical school? (150 words)

3. Describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City. (150 words)

4. If you had a completed application to the College of Medicine in a prior application cycle, please highlight any changes since your previous application in a list with dates. If this question does not apply to you, enter "not applicable" in the text box below. (150 words)

5. Why do believe you are a good fit for SUNY Downstate? (300 words)

6. What is your experience with diversity, health equity and social justice? (300 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
SUNY - Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine (Brooklyn) Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone please post the secondary questions?

Reactions: 1 user
Slightly changed prompts from last year @wysdoc
  • Will you be attending college full-time as of September 15? If no, please describe your activities for the period of September 15 to July 1. (no word count)
  • What will be your support system while in medical school? (150 words)
  • Describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City. (150 words)
  • If you had a completed application to the College of Medicine in a prior application cycle, please highlight any changes since your previous application in a list with dates. If this question does not apply to you, enter "not applicable" in the text box below. (/150 words)
  • Why do believe you are a good fit for SUNY Downstate? (300 words)
  • What is your experience with diversity, health equity and social justice? (300 words)

Does anyone know what the reason is for asking if we are traveling outside the US during the application period? is it just in case of being offered an interview for scheduling purposes?

Those of yall on the quarter system, how are you filling out the pre-req section? For biology as an example, it only gives Bio 1 and Bio 2 as options, but quarter system a whole year is 3 classes...

Those of yall on the quarter system, how are you filling out the pre-req section? For biology as an example, it only gives Bio 1 and Bio 2 as options, but quarter system a whole year is 3 classes...
I emailed them and they said to put one, explain the situation in the additional info section and provide proof that the class (in the place where you can upload docs) that the 'non-standard' course meets requirements

I emailed them and they said to put one, explain the situation in the additional info section and provide proof that the class (in the place where you can upload docs) that the 'non-standard' course meets requirements
Do you know if we do this for separate lab/lecture courses too? I can only list one, but took labs for most of the classes they are asking for. Do I just clarify matching lab courses in the additional info section? I'll probably email them today to clarify

Do you know if we do this for separate lab/lecture courses too? I can only list one, but took labs for most of the classes they are asking for. Do I just clarify matching lab courses in the additional info section? I'll probably email them today to clarify
if you put in a class for the lecture a little spot pops up if its under the credit amount needed to fulfill the requirement for the lab

Members don't see this ad :)
"Describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City (Limit 150 words)"

How is everyone answering this question if they are not from NYC?

OOS (but born and raised in NYC just no longer a resident) secondary received 7/5, secondary submitted 7/8, marked as complete today 7/11.

for "Describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City", I really have not had much experience living in any large cities because of living in Montana. However, I am interested in this school due its location as I feel I want to have the experience of working in a urban environment to be a more well rounded physician. Would something along those lines work as a potential response?

I have a quick question regarding filling out the coursework section. One of my English requirements was a Biology class that was considered writing intensive and got the English credit at my university. It is not letting me put it in as an English class because I denoted this Biology Writing Intensive class as a BCPM while filling out AMCAS. Should I put in another humanities class to get past the system and then put in the description that this Biology class is really what was supposed to count as my English class? Or does anyone know what the admissions phone number is...I cannot seem to find it.

"Describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City (Limit 150 words)"

How is everyone answering this question if they are not from NYC?
I honestly just spoke about experiences that prepared me to be able to live in an urban environment and how I can make it possible to live in nyc.

I'm planning on applying to the MD-PhD program but I see that when adding Downstate to my school list on AMCAS it says it's restricted. Does anyone know what this means or how to qualify?

It's worth checking the applicant status part of your portal. I needed to add a science letter of recc despite having a committee letter and it did not send me an email update.

I havent received the secondary yet. Is it worth to email them about it?

I honestly have no idea how to answer this question.

3. Describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City. (150 words)

I am a NYC Native, lived here all my life and know and love my city.

I honestly have no idea how to answer this question.

I am a NYC Native, lived here all my life and know and love my city.
Say exactly that! But...more eloquently and with a descriptive example or two, perhaps? You're clearly prepared to (continue) living and studying in NY, you just need to present it well!

also just got an II a few minutes ago :D IS, ORM, LM 72 (same exact message as the one before me hahahah)

Reactions: 3 users
I submitted my secondary around a week ago but they still have not received my LORs and MCAT score. Should I email them?

For anyone who has received a II, do you guys have any idea what the writing assignment that will be due on the day of the interview is? Very interesting requirement!

II just now! IS, Complete 7/10

Last edited:
I submitted my secondary around a week ago but they still have not received my LORs and MCAT score. Should I email them?
im in the same boat here. did you ever get a response from them?