Bryn Mawr 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I saw earlier (but didn't have time to post then) that you got in! Congrats!!! Some questions for you if you don't mind.

First, what was your timeline like? When did you mail your application, hear from them about scheduling an interview, actually interview and then hear back after your interview?

Second, do you have any idea as to how many spots thy have already filled vs how many are still open? Did you meet any other candidates when you interviewed?

And lastly, what were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted my app during late September, and heard back 1-2 weeks after that. Due to timing conflicts, I interviewed 4 weeks after that (and also due to Hurricane Sandy).

Was accepted 1 wk. after intervieweing via phone call.

Overall, the interview as very informational (talked about linkages, sat in on Orgo class, lunch, informal conversations w/ previous post-baccs and other applicants). There were around 10-12 of us in the applicant group that day from all over the U.S. Very diverse backgrounds from Engineering to English/Classics majors.

I don't want to discourage anyone from applying because of stats. I think they really evaluate the person as a whole. Though stats are quite important.

You can PM me for further details and advice regarding your own stats.
 
mshahnoora may I ask how they contacted you to offer you an interview? I must know if my heart leaping everytime I get a new email is necessary or if interview invites come via snail mail =)

Thanks and congrats!
 
mshahnoora- thanks for the info. I totally agree that it is about more than just the stats but I feel like the invitation for an interview is largely based on stats and it is during the interview itself where you have the ability to truly distinguish yourself.

Vildoc and Severus- when did you guys send in your applications?
 
It seems like anything goes! My app was complete mid-October and I got an invitation to interview via email about a week later. I interviewed last Monday (in person). Now waiting for the final verdict... I was told I'd hear from them "before winter break."
 
Vidoc - sorry that you didn't get in. Hopefully you'll get into another program that you've applied to that's just as good!

cheree cheree- crossing my fingers for you that you'll hear good news soon!! When exactly is winter break? Does the admissions committee take as long of a break as the students?

SeverusSnape - good luck and congrats on your interview! Did you get a couple of dates to choose from and if so, what were the other dates?
 
I submitted 3 weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet 🙁

Good luck for everyone who get an interview 🙂
 
Hello All,
Yes, I was just accepted to Bryn Mawr also; it seemed like a good program. Although, as a male, I was a little concerned it being a "female" campus. Would I feel out of place?

I applied at other good programs (Goucher, Scripps, UPenn, etc...) as well, and received interview invitations. But Bryn Mawr seemed really good at the end.

If you guys have questions, feel free to PM me or post here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All,
Yes, I was just accepted to Bryn Mawr also; it seemed like a good program. Although, as a male, I was a little concerned it being a "female" campus. Would I feel out of place?

First off, congrats on getting in!

I'm a current student at Bryn Mawr, and just wanted to address this comment. It's for sure a little weird being a guy on an all-female campus, but it's honestly a very minor aspect of your experience here. I'm a guy, and crashing the sisterhood definitely takes a little getting used to. But your interactions with undergrads are fairly minimal (as of next year, all of the classes you take are post-bacc only), and we really don't socialize much with the undergrads. Will you feel a little bit out of place at first? Maybe for the first week or two. Or longer if you show up at undergrad social events. But honestly, until seeing your post, this isn't really something I've seriously thought about in weeks. Definitely shouldn't dissuade you at all from coming here.

If you (or anyone else) has any questions, let me know! And congrats again on getting in.
 
EvidenceBased I was wondering if you would be able to speak as to how involved current students are with the application process for the following year's entering class. Thanks!

SS
 
EvidenceBased I was wondering if you would be able to speak as to how involved current students are with the application process for the following year's entering class. Thanks!

SS

Hey SS!
The current students are fairly involved in the admissions process for next year, although we're not going to decide one way or another whether someone gets in or not. Every interview day there are two or three current students who serve as admissions assistants, which basically means we give you guys a tour have lunch and answer questions about the program. There's no official report or anything we submit, but oftentimes we'll unofficially relay impressions to Jodi. Furthermore, if anyone in the program knows someone who's applying, they can send an email to Jodi with what they know of the applicant, and whether they think they'd be a good fit for the program.

Hope that helps!
 
Hey SS!
The current students are fairly involved in the admissions process for next year, although we're not going to decide one way or another whether someone gets in or not. Every interview day there are two or three current students who serve as admissions assistants, which basically means we give you guys a tour have lunch and answer questions about the program. There's no official report or anything we submit, but oftentimes we'll unofficially relay impressions to Jodi. Furthermore, if anyone in the program knows someone who's applying, they can send an email to Jodi with what they know of the applicant, and whether they think they'd be a good fit for the program.

Hope that helps!

Thanks EB, really appreciate the reply. That's pretty much what I expected to hear.
 
Evidence Based, do you have any clue on the upcoming dates for on-campus interviews or how often the admission committee meets? Just trying to get (somewhat!) of an idea regarding possible timing of how much longer it'll take now that my application is in.

Thanks btw, for all the valuable info. that you're always posting - very helpful!
 
Evidence Based, do you have any clue on the upcoming dates for on-campus interviews or how often the admission committee meets? Just trying to get (somewhat!) of an idea regarding possible timing of how much longer it'll take now that my application is in.

Thanks btw, for all the valuable info. that you're always posting - very helpful!

Hey bakagal,
I don't have any hard and fast data for you here. If you want info based on impressions and heresay, however... I believe the admissions committee (aka Jodi and the health professions staff) meets about once a month in the fall and twice a month in the spring. I don't know when the next dates are (I know there's one today), but my hunch is that there is max 1 more before Christmas break, and all likelihood this is actually the last interview day until after the holidays (we're heading into finals soon, and the linkeage process is also heating up here). I suspect they'll meet at least one more time to read applications though, so I wouldn't be surprised if you heard something before the holidays.

And I'm always happy to help! There's a lack of good information on post-bacc programs on these forums, and I know current post-baccs/alums were a huge help to me when I was applying. Just paying it forward.
 
Thanks! I had thought they meet more frequently so am just a little disappointed. I kind of wanted to at least interview by the end of the month but I guess that's not so realistic. Oh well!

I'm just curious- are you personally planning on linking?
 
Bakagal, I believe there's an interview day next Monday as well but my guess is that's the last one before the new year. Hope that helps.
 
Thanks! I had thought they meet more frequently so am just a little disappointed. I kind of wanted to at least interview by the end of the month but I guess that's not so realistic. Oh well!

I'm just curious- are you personally planning on linking?

I'm not personally planning on linking, but based on unofficial stats it looks like about half the class is going to attempt to link this year. I really want to be able to apply to a broad range of schools and try to pay less for med school (here's looking at you, state school). The linkeage program is still awesome if you want to do it though (saves you a year and gives you better shot at getting into a school you love), and I still think it's a great resrouce to have even if you don't take advantage of it. It means that these med schools know the program really well, that Jodi has great connections with these schools, and you get to know them better too (I went on linkeage trips to check out schools I was interested in even though I won't be linking).

So I won't be linking, but that doesn't mean the linkeage program didn't benefit me.
 
Bakagal, I believe there's an interview day next Monday as well but my guess is that's the last one before the new year. Hope that helps.
Okay, thanks! I'm just going to assume that I won't hear from them till January and that way if I hear earlier, I'll just be pleasantly surprised 🙂

I'm not personally planning on linking, but based on unofficial stats it looks like about half the class is going to attempt to link this year. I really want to be able to apply to a broad range of schools and try to pay less for med school (here's looking at you, state school). The linkeage program is still awesome if you want to do it though (saves you a year and gives you better shot at getting into a school you love), and I still think it's a great resrouce to have even if you don't take advantage of it. It means that these med schools know the program really well, that Jodi has great connections with these schools, and you get to know them better too (I went on linkeage trips to check out schools I was interested in even though I won't be linking).

So I won't be linking, but that doesn't mean the linkeage program didn't benefit me.
Thanks! I'm sure everyone picks what works for them. I hope you get in to your state school! That would actually be the same reason I would pick for not linking so I totally understand! But the pros to linking are pretty good too...guess I'll worry about that if I'm lucky enough to get into BM! I want to go so so badly.
 
Just wondering if anyone's heard anything one way or another this week? I interviewed recently and my days are now spent constantly checking my phone for missed calls and refreshing my email. Thanks.
 
Any undergrads applying? I had my interview last week and I felt like I got grilled by the interviewer about being an undergrad.. anyone else have similar experience?

Arusi for whatever the info is worth, there were 2-3 undergrads out of ~9 people interviewing the day I was there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any undergrads applying? I had my interview last week and I felt like I got grilled by the interviewer about being an undergrad.. anyone else have similar experience?

There are probably somewhere around 15 just out of college kids in the program currently, so it's definitely nothing out of the ordinary. I got asked about that extensively when I interviewed, but they're just checking your maturity level and making sure you've really thought through your decision to pursue medicine. There are plenty of kids who are just out of college here, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
 
In the mail? Via emails? Phone calls? Also how do you know

I just got a phone call informing me I was accepted, and I know they were making other calls. It make take them a few days to make it through all the calls, but I would guess you will be hearing soon.
 
I just got a phone call informing me I was accepted, and I know they were making other calls. It make take them a few days to make it through all the calls, but I would guess you will be hearing soon.
Congratulations! Thanks for letting us know. When did you interview, if you don't mind?
 
Ahhh congratulations to those of you who were accepted already!!! My interview isn't for another month so I'm going to have to be super patient till then. For those of you who already interviewed/were accepted, could you help me with the following?

1. If you were from out of town, did you stay over the night before and if so, where did you stay and do you recommend that hotel?

2. During the interview day, how much walking around campus did you do? I'd like to wear low heels which are comfortable enough to do normal walking but if there's a significant amount of walking, I'd just wear flats.

3. Did you bring anything with you to the interview? Like work evaluations, etc.

4. Any tips for the interview itself? Did you have waiting time before the interview and if so, what did you do during that time?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just so excited!
 
1. If you were from out of town, did you stay over the night before and if so, where did you stay and do you recommend that hotel?

Can't help you on this one.

2. During the interview day, how much walking around campus did you do? I'd like to wear low heels which are comfortable enough to do normal walking but if there's a significant amount of walking, I'd just wear flats.

Probably safer to go with flats. There was not a lot of walking on the guided part of the interview, but if you want to tour the campus there will be.

3. Did you bring anything with you to the interview? Like work evaluations, etc.

They have your complete submission before them when they interview you, so only bring stuff you couldn't submit with the initial application.

4. Any tips for the interview itself? Did you have waiting time before the interview and if so, what did you do during that time?

Just be prepared to address any weaknesses in your history, such as bad science grades, lack of medical volunteering, etc... Otherwise its just the standard "why do you want to be a doctor?"

Best of luck.
 
hey!

Is anyone else deciding between Bryn Mawr and Goucher? I got into both and can't decide! I welcome the opinion of past, current and perspective post bac students.

Thanks!
 
Hey All! I was wondering - I'm almost (but not quite) done with my application. Since Bryn Mawr has rolling admissions, do you think that at this point my chances are substantially hurt because I haven't submitted my application yet? I'm starting to get a little nervous...
 
I don't think your chances are going to be hurt that badly. From what I've seen/heard/read, a majority of applicants apply after New Years. While it's to your advantage to apply earlier, I'm sure the class is by no means filled.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ahhh congratulations to those of you who were accepted already!!! My interview isn't for another month so I'm going to have to be super patient till then. For those of you who already interviewed/were accepted, could you help me with the following?

1. If you were from out of town, did you stay over the night before and if so, where did you stay and do you recommend that hotel?

2. During the interview day, how much walking around campus did you do? I'd like to wear low heels which are comfortable enough to do normal walking but if there's a significant amount of walking, I'd just wear flats.

3. Did you bring anything with you to the interview? Like work evaluations, etc.

4. Any tips for the interview itself? Did you have waiting time before the interview and if so, what did you do during that time?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just so excited!
1. I also just drove in for the day so can't offer much assistance, however, the email confirmation the office sent you should have some suggestions.

2. There wasn't a TON of walking, but we did walk on the grass a little bit; not sure if that's relevant in relation to wearing heels since I'm a guy and don't wear them

3. I brought nothing but myself and a notebook & pen to take notes/reference if I had any questions I wanted to ask later. Most people brought nothing and the packet they give you is more than sufficient to take any notes you may want to.

4. Almost everyone will have some free time after lunch unless you're the first interview time. Those of us who weren't interviewing first went for a brief walk around campus (15 minutes?) and then just went back to the meeting room we started our day out in and chatted. If you'd like more specifics about the interview/day itself, feel free to message me.

Good luck!
 
Hey All! I was wondering - I'm almost (but not quite) done with my application. Since Bryn Mawr has rolling admissions, do you think that at this point my chances are substantially hurt because I haven't submitted my application yet? I'm starting to get a little nervous...

Hey Religion MD,
I'm a current post bacc at Bryn Mawr, and I didn't have my application complete until mid-January last year. Definitely the sooner the better, but there are still plenty of spots open! So definitely go for it.
 
hey!

Is anyone else deciding between Bryn Mawr and Goucher? I got into both and can't decide! I welcome the opinion of past, current and perspective post bac students.

Thanks!

First off, congrats on getting in!

I've chipped in on this thread and a few other threads about why I chose Bryn Mawr, so I'm not sure it would be useful for me to go into detail again.

In brief, the program is fantastic. The support you get from the staff (Jodi, Mary Beth, Diane, Leslie, and Marian) is just phenomenal, and it really sets you to succeed in an amazing way. It's going to be a lot of work no matter where you go, but they really do their best to walk you through the process as much as they can. The professors do a really good job, the people are great, etc.

I got into both BM and Goucher last year, and they're both awesome programs. You really can't go wrong, so congrats on having a great choice to make! I chose Bryn Mawr because I liked the larger class size, which afforded a larger variety of perspectives and opportunities among the class. Goucher is much smaller (in the low thirties), and I think the Goucher kids love that. I'm sure I would have been comfortable there, but I'm happy with the choice to go with a larger program. I also had some friends and family in the Philly area, so for me Bryn Mawr felt a little closer to home than Goucher did.

If you have any more questions totally feel free to post them here or drop me a line via private message!
 
Bakagal

When did you hear from them that you're invited for the interview?

I haven't heard anything from them and now I'm going crazy, guess we all are

Thanks